2022 Challenge Cup | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2022 Challenge Cup

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Final group of the Senior Ladies SP doing their Warm-Up here, and the first group of the Senior Men's FS doing their Warm-Up in Romania.

So, if anybody wants to jump ship, that's where things stand.

I'm staying here. I've got a kid coming up!!! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Final group of the Senior Ladies SP doing their Warm-Up here, and the first group of the Senior Men's FS doing their Warm-Up in Romania.

So, if anybody wants to jump ship, that's where things stand.

I'm staying here. I've got a kid coming up!!! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan
And that's not all. Two skaters from Finland in both groups and I calculated it is about same time when they are on the ice. It would have been no problem is Bellu memorial hadn't been late.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And that's not all. Two skaters from Finland in both groups and I calculated it is about same time when they are on the ice. It would have been no problem is Bellu memorial hadn't been late.

Oooh. That's unfortunate.

Well, at least you can pause and wind back on YouTube streams. I still have a copy of the Bellu stream paused at Elizabeth Golding's FS from Junior Ladies earlier on (I actually forgot about that tab being there!) So, after missing out on seeing her SP yesterday, I want to make sure I see her FS.

CaroLiza_fan

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
For those joining from RCF, I would highly recommend watching Rino Matsuike, the current leader with a 74 something and a 16-point lead

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
We would have seen this kind of score for Rino sooner if her injury had not happened. I'm really looking forward next season.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wow! Júlia wasn't as much of a 🌵 as she usually is.

Maybe having the wrong accent on her name in the Entry / Results page brings her luck.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Right, time for my older daughter.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST ALEKSANDRA!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The announcer had a bit of a stumble over Alika's surname.

Fall on first jump. But the second jump was nicely done!

Not a great landing on the third jump, but there was no danger of her going down. And then the camera lost her momentarily! :eek:

Everything else looked good to me. She is always good at the spins. It's just the jumps that can be hit or miss.

She looks frustrated.

Into 11th out of 13, with 44.37 points.

:cheer: WELL DONE ALEKSANDRA!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
A very different programme to what we saw from Jenni at the start of the segment, but I loved both of them!!!

Watching this programme, it made me think of Joshi Helgesson. That was the sort of programme she would do.

It could be hard to call which of the Finns has the advantage going into the Free. Because, although Jenni had her problems, Oona wasn't exactly clean either.

Into 8th with 51.60 points. Mmmm, maybe I was enjoying it too much!

CaroLiza_fan

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Oooh. That's unfortunate.

Well, at least you can pause and wind back on YouTube streams. I still have a copy of the Bellu stream paused at Elizabeth Golding's FS from Junior Ladies earlier on (I actually forgot about that tab being there!) So, after missing out on seeing her SP yesterday, I want to make sure I see her FS.

CaroLiza_fan
I did so. No WC spot for Oona.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Good skate from Jade. Does she need her sp or fp minimums?

Don't know, but with a TSS of 50.23, I don't think she'll have got the SP minimum TES here if she still needs it.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Lots of falls today.

Yeah, I was thinking that it wasn't a very high scoring competition.

Has anybody apart from Rino MATSUIKE scored higher than 60? I don't think so.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ooh special presentation for Lindsay to recognise what she did at the Olympics.

EDIT: After a long speech from a representative of the Fed, she got given a bunch of flowers, and a picture of herself.​

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Don't worry, fed will continue to support him as long as he stays with Yamada.
If he was still with Onishi-sensei he would not have been assigned as many events this season.
Only thing that bothers me is Mihoko's "lack of transtions into jumps" choreo is really evident with Sota (possibly due to his stature and carriage?)
This seems to be negatively affecting not only his TR score (as it should) but his other component marks, as well.
Anyway, I'm sure we'll see him more comfortable with Yamada/Higuchi technique and with more jump consistency next season. ☺️

Thanks for your thoughts. I think it's good that he's with Yamada/Higuchi. I confess I'd thought Sota would be more at ease mentally this season, with such a strong team behind him.
I hear what you're saying, but is it really worth teaching Sota more transitions before jumps if the jumps themselves aren't stable in competition? He used to have 4-3 combos, but has been struggling with consistency since the start of 2019/2020 season. I am thinking he needs a sports psychologist as he does the FS much better in shows and Japan Open... I am happy this new center helped him stabilize the SP and hit the 89-93 point mark in all recent competitions, so fingers crossed for fixing the FS next season.

But, I guess I don't see what issue some people are having with Sota's posture when setting up for jumps? :shrug: I love how his back is always straight, and I don't mind his stiff pose just before takeoff. It hurts my eyes much less than, say, the terrible hunched quad/axel setups of Brezina, who I bet was getting better marks for transitions (I may be mistaken, I haven't looked up their PCS to compare). :shrug:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Malinin 🥇, Mihhail Selevko 🥈, and Yamamoto 🥉.

The U.S. men at Challenge Cup all won medals. :)
Silver for Aleksandr Fegan 🥈 in Advanced Novice Boys.
Bronze for Taira Shinohara 🥉 in Junior Men.

He was on the JGP but didn't do amazing (top 5/6) 16th at JWorlds, got pandemiced, competed at SkAm 2020, placed 5th, got injured, skipped Nats, and then did a few Challengers/Senior Bs and the JGP this season before Nats

For the record:

Malinin placed fourth at his first-ever JGP, which was 2019 Lake Placid. He was within two points of second place and third place. He placed third in both the SP and FS.
Subjective opinion: His JGP debut certainly made a lasting impression on some spectators in the arena, including me.

Because of injury, he was unable to submit a video to the virtual qualifying competition to 2021 Nats.

Challenge Cup is Ilia's second senior international ever.
His first senior international ever was the Challenger in Austria this season.​

I'm interested in Thorngren here.

I believe she's first alternate to Worlds, and I wonder if USFSA has sent her here as a dress rehearsal in case one of three US ladies drops out.

Thorngren is second alternate to Worlds. (First alternate to Olympics.)
Amber Glenn is first alternate to Worlds.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Challenge Cup is Ilia's second senior international ever.
His first senior international ever was the Challenger in Austria this season.

What about 2020 Skate America, where he finished 5th?

CaroLiza_fan