2022 CS Ice Challenge Women's Short Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2022 CS Ice Challenge Women's Short Program

SkateTM0102

On the Ice
So 32 TES is way too high, only 4 skaters achieved it here and some of the women skated clean with reasonable tech content, including 3-3.
I don’t know about the short TES as I admit I haven’t been following it, but a 53 in the long seems high to me. You have to have a minimum of 4 clean triples, probably 5 (unless you have level 4s on everything else). I think that’s a pretty tall order as a way to grow the sport. I think a 50 is much more attainable. Is there a list somewhere where we can see who all has the minimums?

Andrea82

Medalist
hmm but do we know how many probably had it before and had just a bad day?

Have achieved 32 TES in SP in a Senior international competition this season or past season:

Pezzetta (32.10 at Lombardia Trophy 2022)
Pesendorfer (35.23 at Skate Celje 2021)
Repond (33.13 at Budapest Trophy 2022)
Saarinen (36.39 at Warsap Cup 2021)
Spours (32.00 at Triglav Trophy & Narcisa Cup 2022)
Lang (34.69 at Jegvirag Cup 2022)

Andrea82

Medalist
I don’t know about the short TES as I admit I haven’t been following it, but a 53 in the long seems high to me. You have to have a minimum of 4 clean triples, probably 5 (unless you have level 4s on everything else). I think that’s a pretty tall order as a way to grow the sport. I think a 50 is much more attainable. Is there a list somewhere where we can see who all has the minimums?

these are the highest TES for each women in 2021-22 and 2022-23 seasons (the periods valid for 2023 Championships):

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
@balabam why so silent? not enough korean coaches for you today?
:D :D
But my favorite pussycat, coach Choi is missing :devil:
Sorry, I need to solve problems of almost whole world today, now for the global warming :LOL:
But I just caught some replays and yeah, judges today were definitely not in the Santa Claus mode

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just finished watching the SP. The Canadian “B” Team performed really well. We are the only country that ended up with two skaters for the final group 😝 Go Canada 🇨🇦
Kaiya - She scored around 60 domestically and skated similarly here. I need to review protocols to see where she lost marks (the website doesn’t download the protocols for me 😡). She would lose a lot of points on spins domestically. I question her flip and the 3T in the backloaded combo seemed really under rotated. But, I’m sad her TES wasn’t over 32 with that skate. She also needs to front load her combo. When she practices, she fully rotates this triple triple, but, when it is late in the program, she is too tired. Her free skate program is much better than her short program. But, she hasn’t been very consistent with spins and jumps domestically. I hope she pulls it together for the free skate, as I really think it has potential.
Sara-Maude - Missed her triple triple combination. She skated how she normally does around 50 for SP
Justine - Finally! She always skates so strongly domestically, but, internationally, she falls apart. I agree with her placement of 2nd place. I fear she will be too nervous skating in the last group. But, she could make it to the podium. She just needs to pretend she is skating in Canada 😬

It seems like they rewarded skaters with bigger jumps like Anna from Italy and Gracie Gold and even Minchae. Anna’s jumps are gigantic 😳 (A lovely skater I just discovered this year. I love gigantic triple jumps).

I have no idea who will podium after the short program. Ahsun has put herself in a good position as the skaters right behind her, are not known for consistency. Schild and Ruiter are fighters.. Also, from the second last flight…. I expect Kimmy and Minchae to fight back as they normally move up places by landing a lot of triples with their free skates.

Gracie is the ??? I don’t see Gracie landing five or more triples in her free skates (she only landed three in SA, and two were from her big 3Lz 3T opening element 😳)unless she goes for two 3S. How many triples will she land, fall, or pop? She is too prone to pops and if her 3Lz 3T doesn’t happen….. props to her for going for the triple flip after popping the triple lutz… when she popped the triple lutz, I was hoping she would go 2A, then 3S 2T. When I saw her turn into the triple flip stance, I closed my eyes and yelled out no, but, when she landed it, I muttered, now add the 2T, and she did. So, that could have been costly, had she fallen. But, she didn’t. This means I expect to see the flip in the free skate. Her PCS score, shows the judges want to reward her.

Last note, Clare was lucky she was exempt from Sectionals… that is all I will say 😳

Last edited:

SkateTM0102

On the Ice
I just finished watching the SP. The Canadian “B” Team performed really well. We are the only country that ended up with two skaters for the final group 😝 Go Canada 🇨🇦
Kaiya - She scored around 60 domestically and skated similarly here. I need to review protocols to see where she lost marks (the website doesn’t download the protocols for me 😡). She would lose a lot of points on spins domestically. I question her flip and the 3T in the backloaded combo seemed really under rotated. But, I’m sad her TES wasn’t over 32 with that skate. She also needs to front load her combo. When she practices, she fully rotates this triple triple, but, when it is late in the program, she is too tired. Her free skate program is much better than her short program. But, she hasn’t been very consistent with spins and jumps domestically. I hope she pulls it together for the free skate, as I really think it has potential.
Sara-Maude - Missed her triple triple combination. She skated how she normally does around 50 for SP
Justine - Finally! She always skates so strongly domestically, but, internationally, she falls apart. I agree with her placement of 2nd place. I fear she will be too nervous skating in the last group. But, she could make it to the podium. She just needs to pretend she is skating in Canada 😬

It seems like they rewarded skaters with bigger jumps like Anna from Italy and Gracie Gold and even Minchae. Anna’s jumps are gigantic 😳 (A lovely skater I just discovered this year. I love gigantic triple jumps).

I have no idea who will podium after the short program. Ahsun has put herself in a good position as the skaters right behind her, are not known for consistency. Schild and Ruiter are fighters.. Also, from the second last flight…. I expect Kimmy and Minchae to fight back as they normally move up places by landing a lot of triples with their free skates.

Gracie is the ??? I don’t see Gracie landing five or more triples in her free skates (she only landed three in SA, and two were from her big 3Lz 3T opening element 😳)unless she goes for two 3S. How many triples will she land, fall, or pop? She is too prone to pops and if her 3Lz 3T doesn’t happen….. props to her for going for the triple flip after popping the triple lutz… when she popped the triple lutz, I was hoping she would go 2A, then 3S 2T. When I saw her turn into the triple flip stance, I closed my eyes and yelled out no, but, when she landed it, I muttered, now add the 2T, and she did. So, that could have been costly, had she fallen. But, she didn’t. This means I expect to see the flip in the free skate. Her PCS score, shows the judges want to reward her.

Last note, Clare was lucky she was exempt from Sectionals… that is all I will say 😳
I finally got the protocols to download and one thing that I noticed with Gracie’s protocol is that the judges want to reward her. Her GOE is going up since skating decently at SA. Her double axel here was not nearly as good as SA but got similar GOE. Also, she had the best GOE for spins (granted this was a rough field but still).
I still stand by that someone needs to sit with her and really run numbers. Of course maybe they are? Gracie is 27 and a prior Olympian, I guess if she were to say these are the jumps I’m doing there’s not much that could be done about it. I don’t care about placement tomorrow but I really want her to get the World’s Long minimum. She will need to do AT LEAST 4 landed triples, do 3 combos, and get her levels on her spins and steps. If the opening combo goes 😱 I’m not sure she will be able to mentally hold it together to get the minimum. But the judges seem willing to give her the GOE which is great!

Andrea82

Medalist

You can view breakdown of scores here as the official result page is difficult to upload these days

Yes, she got low levels on the spins.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I finally got the protocols to download and one thing that I noticed with Gracie’s protocol is that the judges want to reward her. Her GOE is going up since skating decently at SA. Her double axel here was not nearly as good as SA but got similar GOE. Also, she had the best GOE for spins (granted this was a rough field but still).
I still stand by that someone needs to sit with her and really run numbers. Of course maybe they are? Gracie is 27 and a prior Olympian, I guess if she were to say these are the jumps I’m doing there’s not much that could be done about it. I don’t care about placement tomorrow but I really want her to get the World’s Long minimum. She will need to do AT LEAST 4 landed triples, do 3 combos, and get her levels on her spins and steps. If the opening combo goes 😱 I’m not sure she will be able to mentally hold it together to get the minimum. But the judges seem willing to give her the GOE which is great!
Gracie is injured still as far as I know. Of course I’d have to listen to TSL which I refuse to do, but she was injured 3 weeks ago.
Y’all go ahead and count her out. I will count her in.
She has 4CCs minimums. She could be sent to 4CCs. If USFS really wants her to go to worlds I believe there are other comps she could be sent to to get tech minimums.
I think it’s more likely she goes to 4CCs than worlds. But worlds is what she wants so I will cheer for her to go.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

looks like Kaiya got super low levels on everything and pretty much NO GOE... that will do it ... not a good outing for her to get the TES minimums... I hope Skate Canada sends her to another event...

SkateTM0102

On the Ice
Gracie is injured still as far as I know. Of course I’d have to listen to TSL which I refuse to do, but she was injured 3 weeks ago.
Y’all go ahead and count her out. I will count her in.
She has 4CCs minimums. She could be sent to 4CCs. If USFS really wants her to go to worlds I believe there are other comps she could be sent to to get tech minimums.
I think it’s more likely she goes to 4CCs than worlds. But worlds is what she wants so I will cheer for her to go.
I am not counting Gracie out, I never do. Saying what she needs to do to achieve World’s minimums is not counting her out. When she is on, she is still one of the best there is! When I watch her skate, it almost looks like she’s scared to be “great” again. Like she is so close, she just needs to get over that last hurdle and I am hoping she does. She does seem to be edging closer, so fingers crossed for tomorrow!
I know someone who see’s Gracie skate every once in a while. I was told she is still injured unfortunately. I was also told that she is really putting in the training time this season (which I can tell watching her programs, the spins and steps are consistently getting levels). They said they see her do clean run throughs of both programs, so she is clearly capable just needs to put it together. I have not seen her with my own eyes, this is just what was told to me. But it sounds promising.
I Do stand by the fact that I think she competes better with the other coach (the one from SA). She doesn’t seem to click with this coach (judging by the Kiss and Cries I’ve seen them at). I hope that she can find what works for her because I love seeing her compete again. I also hope that this injury is not so bad that it means she won’t skate again next season. I have no knowledge about how bad the injury is but it seems like she worked so hard to finally get back into the Season’s best list, to not be able to use it would be a shame.
Anyways, I will be up bright and early tomorrow morning to watch her long!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not counting Gracie out, I never do. Saying what she needs to do to achieve World’s minimums is not counting her out. When she is on, she is still one of the best there is! When I watch her skate, it almost looks like she’s scared to be “great” again. Like she is so close, she just needs to get over that last hurdle and I am hoping she does. She does seem to be edging closer, so fingers crossed for tomorrow!
I know someone who see’s Gracie skate every once in a while. I was told she is still injured unfortunately. I was also told that she is really putting in the training time this season (which I can tell watching her programs, the spins and steps are consistently getting levels). They said they see her do clean run throughs of both programs, so she is clearly capable just needs to put it together. I have not seen her with my own eyes, this is just what was told to me. But it sounds promising.
I Do stand by the fact that I think she competes better with the other coach (the one from SA). She doesn’t seem to click with this coach (judging by the Kiss and Cries I’ve seen them at). I hope that she can find what works for her because I love seeing her compete again. I also hope that this injury is not so bad that it means she won’t skate again next season. I have no knowledge about how bad the injury is but it seems like she worked so hard to finally get back into the Season’s best list, to not be able to use it would be a shame.
Anyways, I will be up bright and early tomorrow morning to watch her long!
What time is her long? I really hope the injury gets better very quickly. I mean…we know it is not bad enough to keep her from skating at all. We don’t have a Kevin Aymoz or Bradie situation. But I’m sure it hurts. I still want to burn that flip with fire. I wish they put out injury results like they do for football. Oh well