2022 European Championships: Women's Short Program | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2022 European Championships: Women's Short Program

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I do think mental pressure has a lot to do with it, and she does not deserve any hate. Even if you think she is overscored, that is the fault of the judges, not the skater. However, I think it's injury. She's had a foot injury, a neck injury, and a knee injury this season alone, and some people think with the way her spins are looking that it's possible she has a back injury as well. I wish her the very best in the free.
I also think injury could be a major factor. Anna's defining characteristics are a cool head in competition and strong work ethic. Even considering the pressure of Olympics I don't think these psychological strengths of hers have waned, but willpower can only do so much if your body can't cope.
Also good spinners don't usually regress on their spins unless they lose training time or physical shape.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Anyone else getting tired of Trusova scoring in the mid 70's when she always falls on her 3axel? Other then her jumps there is nothing remarkable in her skating she's not fast on the ice her skating is clunky and her spins are not even that great.
There were only 2 women who attempted 3A today, the only allowed 3+ jumping element in the short for women. Trusova rotated fully and fell. Her fall wasn't particularly aesthetically disruptive, the jump itself was large and high. She also performed back-loaded combo and came in 3rd, after the best of the women with 2A. She does skate fast and her spins are fine. I can't see how this result can be considered unfair.

brigit66

On the Ice
Anyone else getting tired of Trusova scoring in the mid 70's when she always falls on her 3axel? Other then her jumps there is nothing remarkable in her skating she's not fast on the ice her skating is clunky and her spins are not even that great.
especially when she is no worse than Valieva

Idiote

On the Ice
I'm not sure if I prefer old Kami scared pikachu face programs or this new Kami fake smiling and imaginary butterfly like a page out of Evgenia early programs. I would have liked to see them work more on programs that highlighted her extensions like her Girl on the ball program
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Kamila on a stellar SP! The PCS was still insane but she was in a class of her own.

LMAO at Sasha and Anna's PCS. Who cares about a fall, a 9.25/9.50 is still in the rules, so might as well give it to them! :rolleye:

Judge #4 is my spirit animal, whoever they are. I commend them on their bravery, and resistance to being brainwashed by Eteri or threatened by the KGB as several of the other judges clearly have succumbed to. :laugh:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I have to laugh at the idea that if Vallieva skated for another country her scores would be lower.
The girl lands consistent quads and triples axel and skated with speed and attack in the short she looks like a little fairy accross the ice.

We have yet to see a skater skate like that with that type of consistency.

If she skated for Canada or the US they would be in utter rapture. For the US Frank would be given quotes saying she is the best he he ever seen.

Some skaters are just crazy good and you just give it to them that is Kamila.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to laugh at the idea that if Vallieva skated for another country her scores would be lower.
The girl lands consistent quads and triples axel and skated with speed and attack in the short she looks like a little fairy accross the ice.

If she skated for Canada or the US they would be in utter rapture. For the US Frank would be given quotes saying she is the best he he ever seen.

If she skated for the US, she would have better programs.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Likely her GOE and definitely her PCS would be lower if she were not a Russian skater and this wasn't a pre-Olympics Europeans.

And if this were a worldwide-international competition, if Valieva were not from some powerhouse country, she wouldn't get this GOE.

Valieva was exquisite today, don't get me wrong. And I also think that it deserved to be higher than her record too. But the PCS I thoroughly disagree with. She was not 38.72 PCS/90 level exquisite. But I suppose if skaters with falls get 36.26 and 34.69, there isn't really much choice but to dole out the huge scores.

Still, I refuse to be gaslighted into believing Valieva actually deserved 38.72 PCS for that and ignoring that the Russians' scores were a product of Eteri/Russian politicking at a pre-Olympics Euros where the scoring almost invariably favours Russia and pumps up their scores higher than what they would otherwise get.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can understand if you find the programs boring or unaesthetic, but better is debatable in my eyes as the goal is to collect as many points as possible and obviously programs of Eteri and Daniil are giving you a good chance at that.
Obviously, it is my opinion. I find her short program boring. As for her long program, Bolero is inherently difficult to skate to because it is very repetitious and has few highs and lows. Few skaters have done it justice. Torvill and Dean still hold the Bolero gold standard after all of these years. A skater like Kamila should be working with a top choreographer, not someone who works in-house for all of the skaters in the group. There is a sameness to his programs in terms of dull music and lots of arm waving, twirling and leg kicking. Let me put it this way--if Kamila were skating for Japan or Canada or even China, she would have better programs.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Okay, I'm going to wait until the free skate before freaking out about Anna.

Oh don't worry, she'll be held up on PCS to hold off Hendrickx just like she was held up enough to make the final flight over Gubanova/Kurakova. I like Anna, but fair is fair. And even if Loena beats Anna, Eteri's still not going to let the Russian federation send Liza over Anna. No matter how well or poorly Anna does, her Olympic spot is probably secure.

I would absolutely love it if Russia goes through the hassle of trying to sweep all of the Euro podiums (including dance), and the fierce Loena Hendrickx spoils it. :rock:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I'm not really surprised by Valieva's 90. Euros is known for very inflated scores, especially during oympic season. And when those score are given, there is no way back. Skaters will get at least that in the next events.

I'm just glad that the first 90 is given to a very difficult program. I have a problem with a low difficulty program getting the first 80+, and all the others after.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I just went back and watched Gubanova and her score was way too low. I would've had her over 70 for sure, she was lovely! Glad to see her in the final group though and I'm so happy to see her finally competing internationally too!
I am happy and sad for her. Happy that Nastya is still skating while so many talented Russian girls around her age are retired but sad that her scores continue to be way too low for her. It's as bad now or as worse as it was when she represented Russia in domestic competitions. Her scores at Finlandia were very low for her quality of skating.

did I read write that Nastya's PCS was under 30? Lol. Does the P stand for presentation? She does not have a very high score in free skate so she needs to be justly rewarded in the SP. This should have been the day for the 1st time ever in an International competition as a senior that she went over 70 points . 67? Lol.

Even if she has a clean free skate I guarantee Nastya is held under 200 points.

That said good luck to Anastasia tomorrow and to the rest of the ladies. I am sure the stress is massive. Plus Corona virus on top of everything. Damn.

It's also hard to believe that someone else could sneak into the top 3 besides the 3 Russians. If that happens there could be consequences. This would be worse than Stasya finishing 4th at a much weaker Europeans 3 years ago. I still think there's a great chance that the top 3 will be the Russians but but it's not a 100% chance anymore.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Oh don't worry, she'll be held up on PCS to hold off Hendrickx just like she was held up enough to make the final flight over Gubanova/Kurakova. I like Anna, but fair is fair. And even if Loena beats Anna, Eteri's still not going to let the Russian federation send Liza over Anna. No matter how well or poorly Anna does, her Olympic spot is probably secure.

I would absolutely love it if Russia goes through the hassle of trying to sweep all of the Euro podiums (including dance), and the fierce Loena Hendrickx spoils it. :rock:
Have they ever won all 12 medals at euros before?

Anna gets really high pcs for a reason.

I'd expect Anna to bow her neck tomorrow and have a solid to good free skate.

catchie

On the Ice
I’m just happy that Anna is wearing a medical mask (or even two masks at once!) to this event. Not sure why Kamila and Sasha aren’t following that example. Better safe than sorry.