2022 Four Continents: Women's Short Program

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As someone who is English, he's still mispronouncing names. It's one thing to mangle place names because that's how they've been pronounced for ages in one's particular dialect, e.g. saying Pariss instead of giving it the French pronunciation, it's another to do it to personal names when hired as a commentator for an international stream. Matsuike as an example is a name which consists entirely of sounds that are found in Chris' variety of English, and alternating between Matsooka and Matsooky is just not putting in the effort. I can forgive speakers for getting names wrong when they don't have the sounds (e.g. clicks) in their native languages; I can forgive speakers for bungling names in foreign languages when first encountering them, because we all do that (my family name is constantly butchered, and I have done terrible things to students' names, usually by putting stress in the wrong place ahahaha); but I do think that international commentators could at least try a bit harder.
For hundreds of names? I think it's a bit too demanding, and I say that as a language major who's been persnickety plenty of times!

But I will bow to the will of the majority, since there seems to be so much pleasure derived from calling out the mispronunciations. It's kind of like college kids in my day complaining about the cafeteria food. They need something to complain about, so ....

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabrielle Daleman (CAN)

It’s been literally 5 days after Nationals, it was a quick turnaround, emotionally, very genuine , especially when you are aiming for one goal and then go for another, but I’m very grateful to be here, to get to go to another competition or international championship, so I’m very honored to represent my country. I have great teammates, the crowd is amazing and I love skating in front of fans, I miss it. Even if it wasn’t a great skate, I’m just looking at the positives, and the positive is I’m here and it’s a really rough time, COVID is hitting hard again, so I’m grateful to be here. (on overcoming disappointment from Nationals not qualifying for the Olympic Winter Games) For a lot of people, they were really happy that I was back on the podium, because like I said, for people it was a hard year with COVID, for me it’s been three years, I went from 2019 to taking time off for my mental health, to having a collision at world team trophy that should have ended my career; giving me a ear damage, my right eye damage, broke two ribs, fractured one and tore everything in my right knee. They didn’t know how I’ll be able to come back from that and then to have stomach surgeries and just deal with COVID and dealing with mental health in such a tough time. A lot of people didn’t know if I’ve come back but I knew I was going to come back, I knew, I was going prove people wrong and show how strong I am, so for me personally, yes, I was disappointed that I came third, I know what my potential is, and I know what I could have done. I ended up creating history, because now I have 9 national medals, I’m the most decorated Canadian female skater for national medals which I didn’t know.

(on her goals for Four Continents) Keep skating like I do, just skate for me, not for results, not for points, because I can get very lost in that, especially not having competed that much in the past two years due to COVID, just getting back into that and getting back into why I love it. Because when I skate just for me, it’s even more magical.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tzu-Han Ting (TPE)

My performance is not ideal today. But I think I’m more accustomed to the competition routine and I actually improved on consistency. (on goals this time) I was hoping that I can get World TES minimum score for the short program, but obviously it’s impossible this time. But it doesn’t matter, because my coach is not with me so my biggest goal is not the score but to learn how to face the competition on my own. (on coming back to Tallinn after the 2020 World Junior Championships) I’m calmer this time. Two years ago I must admit I was very nervous even though I performed well. But I think for figure skating the mentality is more long-lasting and profound so it’s more important than the result from any single competition.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Audrey Shin (USA)

Being here means so much especially after Nationals I was kind of disappointed with how I skated and I had a food poisoning last week and I was thinking `oh my gosh, I might have to withdraw from this competition’ I’m just happy to be here and so happy for this opportunity. I’ve always wanted to compete at Four Continents. U.S. Nationals were a couple of weeks ago it was taught I had a lot of expectations because my practices went so well, it was a quick turnaround and when I came here I was just happy to be here and I spoke to my coaches before and we went for an easier jump because I was not feeling strong enough for a Lutz-toe (combination) and I think it was a good move.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rino Matsuike (JPN)

Regarding the triple flip and the fall, I thought I was confident and ready to jump but the lift up in the air was bad and showed that I was not confident enough. (on switching her combo to the triple Lutz) The combo was something I was determined to land to get a better score but it was not clean and was wobbly. But I really had to land it, that’s why I jumped.

(On her preparation) Since Nationals until Four Continents I had clean short programs. At the Nationals were some mistakes in the free skating. So I trained with music frequently and only with short breaks to improve my program. But I made a mistake in the short program today.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabriella Izzo (USA)

(On her season’s best SP score today) It’s really nice to be able to go out there and do what I’ve been training and just have a nice skate and, even though some things were a little shaky, it’s something that I can be proud of and I can move on from there.

(on the quick turnaround after Nationals) You get into a certain mode where you don’t even think about it. If you start thinking ‘oh no it was only a week’ you’re giving yourself an excuse. At the end of the day it’s my job and my responsibility and so I’m going to come in every day and push myself as hard as I can - regardless if I have a week or three months - it makes no difference in what I have to do every day.

(on returning to her spring semester on campus at Harvard University) We leave here Monday morning and we land Tuesday and I have my first day of classes on Tuesday and I will be right back into class.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kailani Craine (AUS)

I feel really happy about my performance, for me I just really want to enjoy this competition, and obviously Olympic season around. I’m really proud of this whole season, I’ve done triple-triple, regardless that I haven’t pulled up for a triple-double, that’s kind of a goal for me for this season, I don’t want to ruin my streak, so I’m trying to do that every short (program) this year.

(on going to the Olympics) It’s based on this competition. It’s a bit different this year, so hopefully I can get that spot that I earned. Our scores are taken from Finlandia Trophy and this competition, but not the full score, just the technical score, so it’s a bit weird this year, but it’s ok. I’m pushing myself for the bigger elements and hopefully which gets me more prepared for the Olympics. We didn’t want to do this competition, but we had no choice, so I’m definitely glad it’s in Tallinn, because I love Tallinn. I’ve been here twice before, for the Junior Grand Prix and Junior Worlds, I have really good memories from Junior Worlds, it was really fun.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuhana Yokoi (JPN)

This season I've been very frustrated and felt inferior after I made a mistake. That's been the case throughout the season and it was the same at the Grand Prix. I wasn't supposed to be here, so I didn't want to compete here with a bitter feeling. I really wanted to get to the Four Continents. If you don't make the top three and Nationals, it's difficult. This season it didn't go well and I thought I wouldn’t have a chance, but I got an opportunity. I thought it was never going to work out, but I wanted to be proud and remember that I worked for my result.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm afraid we're going to have to disagree here, I find the butchering neither gentle nor polite.
I don't see it as 'butchering.' I doubt if that's their motivation either. But I grew up being taught to be gentle and polite, rather like the English. Now years later, I find that holding to certain things about myself is a kind of stubbornness that I find valuable. So when I see it in other individuals or other cultures, I find it amusing but forgivable. Of course, we can agree to disagree agreeably. :)

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Gabrielle Daleman (CAN)

It’s been literally 5 days after Nationals, it was a quick turnaround, emotionally, very genuine , especially when you are aiming for one goal and then go for another, but I’m very grateful to be here, to get to go to another competition or international championship, so I’m very honored to represent my country. I have great teammates, the crowd is amazing and I love skating in front of fans, I miss it. Even if it wasn’t a great skate, I’m just looking at the positives, and the positive is I’m here and it’s a really rough time, COVID is hitting hard again, so I’m grateful to be here. (on overcoming disappointment from Nationals not qualifying for the Olympic Winter Games) For a lot of people, they were really happy that I was back on the podium, because like I said, for people it was a hard year with COVID, for me it’s been three years, I went from 2019 to taking time off for my mental health, to having a collision at world team trophy that should have ended my career; giving me a ear damage, my right eye damage, broke two ribs, fractured one and tore everything in my right knee. They didn’t know how I’ll be able to come back from that and then to have stomach surgeries and just deal with COVID and dealing with mental health in such a tough time. A lot of people didn’t know if I’ve come back but I knew I was going to come back, I knew, I was going prove people wrong and show how strong I am, so for me personally, yes, I was disappointed that I came third, I know what my potential is, and I know what I could have done. I ended up creating history, because now I have 9 national medals, I’m the most decorated Canadian female skater for national medals which I didn’t know.

(on her goals for Four Continents) Keep skating like I do, just skate for me, not for results, not for points, because I can get very lost in that, especially not having competed that much in the past two years due to COVID, just getting back into that and getting back into why I love it. Because when I skate just for me, it’s even more magical.
I had no idea she had all of those struggles after World Team Trophy. What a comeback.

Vemvane

On the Ice
For hundreds of names? I think it's a bit too demanding, and I say that as a language major who's been persnickety plenty of times!

But I will bow to the will of the majority, since there seems to be so much pleasure derived from calling out the mispronunciations. It's kind of like college kids in my day complaining about the cafeteria food. They need something to complain about, so ....
I teach at university, and if I can learn to pronounce all the names of my students every semester, I'm sure a sports commentator can manage to do the same. Humans are primed to learn language, and to distinguish between sounds; also, every language that has ever existed has been learned by babies. Perfection isn't expected, accents and novel sounds will always lead to errors of pronunciation, different languages will have different stress patterns and resyllabification will happen, and speakers of non-tonal languages will botch the tones because they can't hear the difference between rising and falling, but people are forgiving when they can tell someone is trying. However, it seems like some commentators don't even try. It's basic respect for other people to at least attempt to get their names right.

icybear

Medalist
If Korea is going to sent their top skaters to 4cc wouldnt they look less dumb if they decide the olympic team after it?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Young You (KOR)

I am very disappointed about my triple Axel. It was ok in practice, but I think I got a little nervous and that’s why I popped. I still have the free skating left and I really want to land my triple Axel. I think I’ll have less pressure in the free skating.

(on preparing for the Olympic Games) I am trying to prepare without injuries. I want to bring my condition to the highest level.

(On competing at the Four Continents) I came here to try my triple Axel more in competition. I have made mistakes before. It is also a good chance for me since many skaters have withdrawn because of the Olympics, but I came to prepare myself and to get good results.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Starr Andrews (USA)

(on setting her new ISU personal best as well as season best score in the short program today) I am definitely happy - this is probably my best short of the season - and because it’s my last competition of the season as well, I am super excited that I put out that program and I’m really excited for the long as well.

(on skating to her own singing of “At Last”) Originally this song is sung for the love of another person but I have not experienced that yet, so I’m singing it for my love of skating.

(On her goals for the Free Skating) My goal is to put out a strong long program and have fun because I did have a lot of fun today.

(on the quick turnaround after Nationals) I had a week back home and the travel day to get here was really long for me, but I relied on my training, trusted in my skating again, and it turned out really well today.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haein Lee (KOR)

I was a bit nervous today, I think I did well, so I'm so happy. I'm so excited to compete with my Korean national team, so I have to focus on the free skating.

(on her music) Just because my choreographer gave me that music. It's so beautiful and artistic, while I am presenting Ave Maria on the ice I'm so into it because I can sing, so it suits me.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yelim Kim (KOR)

(on her performance today) It was good, except for some details, some spins and steps, so I’m a little bit disappointed about that.

(on her preparation between Nationals and this competition) Nationals is a very big competition for skaters, after that my energy was very down, so I was training not with my full energy. I have two weeks before the Olympics so I want to do more about spins and steps so that I can get a higher score for the Olympics.

(on the importance of this competition) This Four Continents is more special, because most Olympic team members are not here, so it’s a very, very good chance for me, so I’m here.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mai Mihara (JPN)

This is my fourth Four Continents and I have been on the podium in the last three. I am very happy to represent Japan again this time and I was really looking forward to this competition. I really like the Four Continents a lot. My goal is to perfect my programs and skate them as clean as possible. Also, of course, I want to get back on the podium so I can combine that with my future plans.

(on her feeling between Nationals and Four Continents) At the end of the year, I was very disappointed not making it to the Olympics, but I wanted to participate in the Four Continents. I am very happy to be selected and therefore want to perform a perfect program. I started training since the first of January. I am very happy that I can skate. I got a lot of messages and letters and I was well supported, surrounded by very warm people and it showed me how lucky I am. I was happy to come back.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
but people are forgiving when they can tell someone is trying. However, it seems like some commentators don't even try. It's basic respect for other people to at least attempt to get their names right.
I mean, it's their JOB to pronounce the names correctly. There aren't that many names. It's basic preparation. Some people are lazy or don't seem to care. It's disappointing.