2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program | Page 104 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sorry but he doesn't have superb artistry....period....

The irony is, Nathan would agree with you. He gave a recent interview before the OG:
"Objectively, artistry is 50 percent of your score. My strengths come from the elements; my strengths are not the program component scores."

A few years ago he said, "If something you really want to watch is artistry, go watch ice dancing. I think with what we're doing now, we're bringing such an athletic aspect to the sport."

That went over like a ton of bricks. Hopefully he's grown up since then or at least learned to insert foot in mouth less often.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The transitions are great indeed. He would have had my full attention if he'd only tried that quad in the beginning. So it was triple flip bah, no adrenaline, playing it so very safe. Trusova gets all the points for performance from me, because she's thrilling to watch. So do Hanyu and Chen and many others, who are simply willing to take some risk.

Jumps are not the only risk in figure skating. Intricate steps, spins and executing difficult choreo also takes a great deal of athleticism and involves risk. As Kurt Browning said (I use this quote a lot ;)) “you may need to be a skater to understand just how difficult it is to do what Jason Brown does” (paraphrasing).

Not everyone is going to like the same skater, and that’s OK. Not everyone will value the same elements, and that’s OK.

but the fact that such difficult intricate skating looks “safe” shows just how good Jason is at what he does.

Cilla70

On the Ice
I hold my breath while he skates. Someday I’m going to pass out!
Glad to hear I M not the only one. I watched through my fingers for the team event performance. Tonight I could not watch at all because I was so nervous. I guess I might pass out during the free skate. 😥

Alchamei

Record Breaker
If Hanyu can commit a major error and get 47 PCS a flawless performance then 47 is totally justified for Chen… who did the two hardest quads instead of the 2 easiest quads with one popped to a single.
You're mixing things up... So did Hanyu a major error or was he effortless? PCS are not supposed to be tied to TES, at least not completely. Hanyu still did a program with good choreo, transitions and commitment. And what types of quads you do should not matter to The PCS. By that logic Jason should not get so high PCS. I understand why you think Yuzuru was overscored, but you're using the wrong reasoning.

Last edited:

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The transitions are great indeed. He would have had my full attention if he'd only tried that quad in the beginning. So it was triple flip bah, no adrenaline, playing it so very safe. Trusova gets all the points for performance from me, because she's thrilling to watch.

Point out the thrilling part. Seriously, I'd like to know where the adrenaline is in the video.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Point out the thrilling part. Seriously, I'd like to know where the adrenaline is in the video.
I know you're been sarcastic, but I really loved that program, the step sequence part especially.

But the combo save on the quad sal - eu- triple sal was actually edge of your seat stuff, if Sasha hadn't managed it, she would have got a +COMBO which would have affected her score a lot.

Also in context Sasha was in 12th place after the SP, the fact she was able to go out there and deliver a program with the highest TES is testament to her strength of will.

I actually agree that Jason's SP was pretty much perfection today, but that doesn't take away from Sasha and what she did at Worlds 2021.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Well, I have just seen the result, and I suddenly don't regret that our TV only airs a 40-minute cut. I have never thought I'd hope for Nathan to hang on for a few years more, or to win OG, as his skating leaves me cold, but now I wish for it. I am so not mentally ready for men's FS to be dominated by Kagiyama. JMO. Not much else to say. But I'm not much surprised by Hanyu's result, he's just a human, not a machine. He can't keep on medaling forever. I hope he can still have a FS he can be proud of.

Cilla70

On the Ice
I just don’t get people having issues with Nathan’s PCS. Perhaps it’s not as good as Hanyu and Brown but I don’t see how you can watch him and not see a connection. He floats across the ice. His programs are full of difficult steps and turns between the elements. His StSq was pure magic to me. The way he uses his arms and facial expressions to accent the music. Just so expressive and beautiful.
I enjoy his programs also. He has worked hard to improve his artistry. The Phillip Glass FS during the 2021 worlds was a mesmerizing. He moves with the music melding jumps, arms and footwork. Nathan brings consistency, athleticism and artistry to his skating.

viennaskater

Medalist
This may have been answered already but I haven't the energy to trawl through all the posts, so ... can anyone tell me WHY Daniel got marked so low? Like him and his coach team, I could not believe my eyes when the scores came up.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Because everyone skates on the same ice and it degrades as the performances go on?

Do all skaters get to restart whenever they decide that their mistake is the ice's fault? How do you prove that is the cause? They all skate over other athletes toepicks all day, every day.
I Understand, but wasn't there a guy at US Nats who said to The judges that The ice is broken and it was repaired? It definietly happened this year but can't remember where.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
This may have been answered already but I haven't the energy to trawl through all the posts, so ... can anyone tell me WHY Daniel got marked so low? Like him and his coach team, I could not believe my eyes when the scores came up.
His first jumps where yellow, he might have got underrotations or edges calls. They did review at least two of them.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I Understand, but wasn't there a guy at US Nats who said to The judges that The ice is broken and it was repaired? It definietly happened this year but can't remember where.
It was pointed out in the women's event. But it was pointed out during the warmup, and before anyone started. No-one stopped and restarted, and that wouldn't have been permitted.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I thought he got lots of them in Pyeongchang?
Sorry for the very late replies. I was struggling with streams and dropped connections pretty much all night except G3. But anyway, Pooh used in political context (especially to mock Xi) is banned/censored in China, but Pooh bear itself is okay. IIRC, Pooh tissue box was present at 2015 Worlds in Shanghai.

Hanyu had to cover his tissue box with something else at 2018 Olympics.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know you're been sarcastic, but I really loved that program, the step sequence part especially.

But the combo save on the quad sal - eu- triple sal was actually edge of your seat stuff, if Sasha hadn't managed it, she would have got a +COMBO which would have affected her score a lot.

Also in context Sasha was in 12th place after the SP, the fact she was able to go out there and deliver a program with the highest TES is testament to her strength of will.

I actually agree that Jason's SP was pretty much perfection today, but that doesn't take away from Sasha and what she did at Worlds 2021.

I assure you I was being dead serious when posting that video. If someone can point out the "thrilling" part or the "adrenaline" in that video, I want to see where that is. I can't find it. There can be a huge gap between what two people find thrilling and/or adrenaline-inducing.

If I want risk and adrenaline then I have to go to mogul runs, aerials, or slalom. And, yes, women kick major butt in those events. High TES isn't strength of will, it's knowing how to play the numbers game. Fall on your butt like a drunken sailor on skates and you can still get on the podium. Fall on your butt in moguls, aerials or slalom events and you get eliminated. As well you should.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They're replaying the skating on NBC and Johnny Weir commented that you want to be in the top 6 skaters since that's where the bright TV lights are. Please tell me he did not just say that.