2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program | Page 102 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program

readernick

Medalist
Brown of course. 2nd best PCS. I know, TES should not affect PCS, but it always does and right now it rubs me the wrong way. That program isn't that special. And the performance wasn't so very great today.
I think most people do think the program is special including former figure skaters who are very impressed with what he does on the ice choreographically. If you don't, that's okay. However, SS and TR aren't really a matter of personal taste and he absolutely deserves the 1st or 2nd highest scores in these categories.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
the panel of judges is on the ISU site. They are usually listed in the correct order, which can be seen on the protocols. At least, that's what I understood. If I am wrong, I apologize for not naming the judges properly :)
It's a bit confusing because I'm pretty sure the judges scores did used to be randomised, so on the scoresheet Judge 1 for skater B was not necessarily the same as Judge 1 for skater A. It was part of the whole anonymity thing after Salt Lake City.

They might have stopped that in the 20 years (dang I feel old!) since.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
lol what makes you think he can do the 4axel when he can't even fully rotate the jump in practice?

Adrenalin. The Magic Of The Olympic Moment. Sheer guts and determination.

Think of Kerry Strug landing that vault on a fractured foot. I'm tired so that is the first example that came to mind, but I'm sure people here could give you dozens of examples of athletes who rose above their previous abilities to create a truly "Olympic Moment."

That's the magic of it.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Nathan is a wonderful performer. He feels the music and connects with it. His posture is stellar. His extension is good. His movements are precise as well. He deserves high PCS. His program is also very nicely put together and well presented. The real issue is not that PCS scoring is wrong. The issue is that there is no longer a 50-50 ratio between TES and PCS so it advantages people with higher BV no matter how well some skaters present their programs.
Well said. Every bit of it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's a bit confusing because I'm pretty sure the judges scores did used to be randomised, so on the scoresheet Judge 1 for skater B was not necessarily the same as Judge 1 for skater A. It was part of the whole anonymity thing after Salt Lake City.

As I said, I don't know the rule book... so if I am mistaken, someone can correct me. The two judges I mentioned, whomever they are, were not in line with what I "felt" and what I felt is irrelevant as I am no judge, no expert, not in beijing.. just causing some trouble on this thread LOL (just kidding)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, how unfortunate that a hole in the ice may keep Hanyu from gold.
Many figure skaters have talked about how that's always a danger in skating. Someone who skated before you may have left a gouge in the ice and you may not be aware until you can't avoid it. The difference is, I've heard very few skaters blame a missed jump on a toe-pick hole. They know it's just a natural hazard.

readernick

Medalist
In Yuzu's defence the Quad Lutz is what caused him such awful ankle injuries. So I can understand why he wouldn't. The Axel is his best jump, it's possible he can do that 4A.

He also has two Olympic gold medals, won back to back, only Dick Button has managed that, so that's probably not his motivation here.

Although it is sad to think he and Brian had a falling out :( they are/were a really good team.
I'm not sure he had a falling out with anyone. He has just been training himself for the last two years and so he sat by himself.

About Hanyu's motivation, I'm pretty sure the 4A is what is motivating him. He doesn't need a 3rd gold medal and based on what we just saw he isn't going to get one. However, his program is really special. TR wise he is the best in the field. The 4A seems like an almost impossible dream. But, it's his dream and he has a right to chase it. May he accomplish the impossible!

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I wish I knew why Semeneko always gets such high scores. I swear his StSq bore me so much. He seems to fulfill the technical requirements of the spins but they are slow and not that great. His posture on jump landings is not good. He was NOT better than Boyang. And how is Rizzo not higher?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

Think of Kerry Strug landing that vault on a fractured foot. I'm tired so that is the first example that came to mind, but I'm sure people here could give you dozens of examples of athletes who rose above their previous abilities to create a truly "Olympic Moment."

That's the magic of it.

Kerry Strug probably performed that Vault properly 10 times a day getting ready for the Olympics.
I'd be happy if you're right and the magic of pure adrenalin has us seeing the first ever 4A tomorrow,
but I think these moments are created through hard work and practice, and he can't get near it in practice.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Indeed.

It's interesting to think that Yuzu might be able to get closer to the 4A if he didn't do all the transitions in. Artur Dmitriev Jnr was really close at US Nats, but he basically just rocketed down the rink full-speed.

But yeah amazing stuff happens at the Olympics, it'd be pretty epic if Yuzu could do it!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan is tough... the placement doesn't reflect his skate but the score does? He was just a little sloppy in the st sq which would then affect his PCS... idk don't listen to me I'm ridiculously sleep deprived. Let's all go take a nap!
But step sequences are hardly worth any points. Look at Nathan’s fall during his Step sequence at Nationals. It barely affected his score.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Indeed.

It's interesting to think that Yuzu might be able to get closer to the 4A if he didn't do all the transitions in. Artur Dmitriev Jnr was really close at US Nats, but he basically just rocketed down the rink full-speed.

But yeah amazing stuff happens at the Olympics, it'd be pretty epic if Yuzu could do it!

I really believe that the secret to the 4A will be getting down in the knee enough
while keeping the free leg high, all the good attempts we see have them touching
down with a downgraded free leg when they land.

reneerose

Final Flight

I just tried looking for names of judging panels on the ISU sheet / website and I don't actually see an official document unless I'm not looking in the right place. I know they're introduced on the live feed at the beginning of each discipline on the livestream.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
As I said, I don't know the rule book... so if I am mistaken, someone can correct me. The two judges I mentioned, whomever they are, were not in line with what I "felt" and what I felt is irrelevant as I am no judge, no expert, not in beijing.. just causing some trouble on this thread LOL (just kidding)
I am a trouble maker too...they make me sit in the corner here alot...but there were two judges who thought Nathan's combo deserved a "2" GOE. I think THEY deserve gruel for a week. And canned spinich! ;)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Many figure skaters have talked about how that's always a danger in skating. Someone who skated before you may have left a gouge in the ice and you may not be aware until you can't avoid it. The difference is, I've heard very few skaters blame a missed jump on a toe-pick hole. They know it's just a natural hazard.
Skating lesson said an hour ago that Yuzu said he couldnt make his jump happen cause of a deformity in the ice

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Kerry Strug probably performed that Vault properly 10 times a day getting ready for the Olympics.
She probably could perform it while having to go to the bathroom or if she had spiders thrown at her or whatever :devilish:
Hanyu's problem with this element isn't an injury, we've seen him compete injured a number of times.

I'd be happy if you're right and the magic of pure adrenalin has us seeing the first ever 4A tomorrow,
but I think these moments are created through hard work and practice, and he can't get near it in practice.

Well let's just call it a matter of faith. And there's no rational logic to faith. I believe it is possible. Not necessarily probable, but definitely possible.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I get the sense the Brian Orser was very happy for his students Jason and Junhwan,
and not really invested in Yuzuru anymore, probably due to Yuzuru ghosting him for a couple years :laugh:

He gave an in-depth interview recently and supports Yuzu 100%. Considering he has been reviewing videos Yuzu sent to him regarding the 4A and offering advice on speed, height, and rotation, I think your claim that Brian has been ghosted by Yuzu or isn't invested can be put to rest. Yuzu requested he be alone at the OGs as he was at JNats and Brian added that he intended to respect Yuzu's request, since working alone has given Yuzu much satisfaction and strength during the pandemic.

I don’t believe Yuzuru Hanyu does anything just for the Hell of it but ok..........
He doesn't. Starting in childhood he wanted to accomplish the 4A when he got older. I thought that was common knowledge by now but apparently some would prefer to generate gossip than deal with facts.