2022 US Nationals - Member Chat | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2022 US Nationals - Member Chat

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
if id book a hotel, was wondering if it is where most of the skaters will stay - I hear there's some interesting happenings outside the rink.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How come you're all staying at the Holiday Express Inn? What's the official sponsor/skater hotel?
Because I’m poor. Also, I don’t think anyone yet knows what the official hotel(s) are. Most of the time there is a website with all this information. In fact in Detroit the Greensboro people were passing out the information already in January. They also did a lot to help people save money. For example one could fill out a form and mail it to them with payment and avoid paying the insane Ticketmaster fees. They also had negotiated fees with hotels, as well as a shuttle bus running continuously from the official hotels to the arena for $100 or a $45 parking pass for the week.
I also had to go further afield because the hotels near the arena have a $45 valet fee PER DAY. People are making reservations based on what is close I think.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
if id book a hotel, was wondering if it is where most of the skaters will stay - I hear there's some interesting happenings outside the rink.
There SHOULD be several “official” hotels and one can usually pick the one or ones at which more skaters might be staying. It probably won’t be the Holiday Inn Express.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you so much for the thorough explanation! That really helped a lot :) Too bad it seems unlikely that I can watch practice with the weekend pass. To me practice is half the fun :(
Don’t give up so easily. I have been to 3 Nationals so far. Never have I needed a pass for practices in the main arena.

Kansas City - I had a weekend pass. I got access to the venue with my regular ticket. When practices began no one asked me for a practice pass (I certainly would have left had I been asked). I did not attempt to gain access to the secondary arena. Seriously there are probably less than 100 people watching practices.

Detroit - I had a weekend pass. I gained access to the venue with my regular ticket. I watched practices in the main arena. No one asked me for a pass.

Greensboro - I had an all event pass which included a practice pass. I watched practices in the main arena. I was never asked for a practice pass.

I sit near the skaters entrance during practices if anyone wants to have fun and possibly share snacks I have snuck in. One never knows what will happen. Last year they made the very curious decision to put me on TV.

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
I didn't grow up with money so I try to watch what I spend... I noticed the Fairline Hotel and Hilton, 3 blocks up from the arena, were around $90 and $160 a night via Kayak. I was excited, and was going to post that on here, but I then researched the 3rd party site offering those deals and there were a lot of negative reports on them online :(

How do I buy an all-event pass right now?

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I'm not going because the tickets are too rich for my blood.... but AirBnb has a 2BR townhouse that cost about $107 per night (tax/fees included).

Split it between 2 people to cut the cost in half.... split it with more to make it cheaper! But I guess you guys are more into hotels. :p

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't grow up with money so I try to watch what I spend... I noticed the Fairline Hotel and Hilton, 3 blocks up from the arena, were around $90 and $160 a night via Kayak. I was excited, and was going to post that on here, but I then researched the 3rd party site offering those deals and there were a lot of negative reports on them online :(

How do I buy an all-event pass right now?
You have to have a FOFS code I believe.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Detroit - I had a weekend pass. I gained access to the venue with my regular ticket. I watched practices in the main arena. No one asked me for a pass. ...

I am genuinely curious, moonvine:

On Friday in Detroit, Senior Men had practice in the main arena from 9:10 am to 11:45 am.
The first Senior competition of the day was Senior RD, which began at close to 4 pm.

Are you saying that with your "regular ticket" (from your weekend pass), you were able to enter Little Caesars on Friday morning to watch Senior Men's practice?
If so, I wish such good fortune for LutzDance in Nashville. :pray:

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am genuinely curious, moonvine:

On Friday in http://www.2019uschampionships.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2019USFSChampsMatrixScheduleVersion2.08-002.pdf]Detroit, Senior Men had practice in the main arena from 9:10 am to 11:45 am.
The first Senior competition of the day was Senior RD, which began at close to 4 pm.

Are you saying that with your "regular ticket" (from your weekend pass), you were able to enter Little Caesars on Friday morning to watch Senior Men's practice?
If so, I wish such good fortune for LutzDance in Nashville. :pray:
That link will not load for me. I did see A senior men’s practice. I explicitly remember that. If it was that specific senior men’s practice I do not know. I don’t know if I went that early and sat all day or not. I had a dedicated driver and she came to get me every day and dropped me off and came back to get me at night. Was there a junior event? Because I bought individual tickets for those.

I will tell a funny story: I was not a very great smuggler and had aluminum cans of Diet Coke in my pockets. Of course it set off the metal detector. I’m lucky they didn’t assume I had a bomb strapped around my waist. They waved me over to a lady at the side who was like “just show me what you have.” So I showed her and she was like “just don’t let anyone see.” So I’m hobbling away as fast as I can trying to keep my precious elixir of life from dropping on the floor and someone’s like “do you need a wheelchair?” “No, no - just have to get to the ladies room.” Pro tip. PLASTIC BOTTLES, people.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... That link will not load for me. I did see A senior men’s practice. I explicitly remember that. If it was that specific senior men’s practice I do not know. I don’t know if I went that early and sat all day or not. I had a dedicated driver and she came to get me every day and dropped me off and came back to get me at night. Was there a junior event? Because I bought individual tickets for those. ...

Sorry, I have fixed the link in my post above. It was/is for the color-coded schedule for Detroit.

On Friday in Detroit, Senior Men's practice in the main arena was from 9:10 am to 11:45 am.
Junior FD competition started at noon, with doors opening at 11:00 am.
Senior RD competition started at 3:45 pm, with doors opening at 2:45 pm.

Not saying that I know what exactly transpired in your case -- but a Junior FD ticket would have made it possible to see a portion of the Senior Men's practice.

FWIW, the official policy for Detroit was:

Can I attend practice at Little Caesars Arena?

Practice is open only for all-session ticket holders in the main rink at Little Caesars Arena. The secondary practice rink (BELFOR) is closed to the general public due to capacity issues. All-session ticket holders should bring their practice ticket to gain entrance. If you opted for mobile tickets, then you may present your mobile ticket as well.​

... To me practice is half the fun :(

Yes, I too like attending practice.
Hope that one way or the other you can see some in Nashville.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They did not clear the arena between events. The pairs short wasn’t included in the championship weekend package and so I went and bought one (from inside the arena). No one ever asked to see it. In Detroit once you were in you were in. My memory of KC is fuzzier. It was my first Nationals. At any rate I’ve never had anyone ask me for a ticket, pass or anything else to watch a practice in the main arena. That doesn’t mean Nashville won’t be the first time. I pray they release some lower priced all event tickets that are worse seats.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
$755 for an all-event pass is so expensive considering the all-event pass for Worlds 2016 in Boston was like $275...
???? I was there....they didnt open up the nose bleeds so I snuck up there and hid in a bathroom...different world up there...but no seats were sold??? Maybe I am confusing Nats with Worlds Boston.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Here is another tip...I went on line today to see what was left of the expensive seats. IIrC today the tickets are opened up to USFS members and past ticket buyers today. Note the number of seats selected and if you put the price slider all the way down, you see all the seats available. I feel the program is sluggish but you can move around the arena with your mouse. In this section, we see no A and B rows for $1255 in section 109 as per the USFS seating chart. Monday the seats go on sale for everyone.
tm 5.jpg

b-man

Final Flight
???? I was there....they didnt open up the nose bleeds so I snuck up there and hid in a bathroom...different world up there...but no seats were sold??? Maybe I am confusing Nats with Worlds Boston.
I seem to remember the nose bleeds were sold, definitely for worlds, and I think for 2014 Nats as well.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
They did not clear the arena between events. The pairs short wasn’t included in the championship weekend package and so I went and bought one (from inside the arena). No one ever asked to see it. In Detroit once you were in you were in. My memory of KC is fuzzier. It was my first Nationals. At any rate I’ve never had anyone ask me for a ticket, pass or anything else to watch a practice in the main arena. That doesn’t mean Nashville won’t be the first time. I pray they release some lower priced all event tickets that are worse seats.
I loved KC! I would go out to dinner and while you had to be screened to get back in, it wasnt bad. Dont know if they will require clear bags at Nash. I assume metal detectors at the very least. Havent been to nats in awhile (3 Years) but metal detectors are pretty much standard. Many places have odd "in and out" proceedures but they usually give up on those on day 3.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USFS now has updated @apgold's page with the week's schedule for 2022. It establishes that:

- First day of senior events will be Thu.​
- It will be Men's FS on Sun. (With Ladies FS on Fri.)​
This is super helpful ice coverage. Thx so much. I have an airline credit from Montreal Worlds and am hoping to be able to use it, so the sooner we know the schedule the better.