2022 US Nationals - Member Chat | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2022 US Nationals - Member Chat

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I seem to remember the nose bleeds were sold, definitely for worlds, and I think for 2014 Nats as well.
Funny story. I didnt want to go out and back in at Boston worlds between events so I walked up the turned off escalator to the nose bleeds...whole different world up there. Not a soul. But lots of empty vendors. So I hid in a bathroom stall. A policeman came in and asked if I was help. I said "Si" and he left! The condiment dispensors all had plastic wrap on the nozzels due to the rodents up there.!!!
(I cant tell from my pics if they were open for events at worlds or not. I assume you are right)
a worlds.JPG

Last edited:

b-man

Final Flight
Sorry, I have fixed the link in my post above. It was/is for the color-coded schedule for Detroit.

On Friday in Detroit, Senior Men's practice in the main arena was from 9:10 am to 11:45 am.
Junior FD competition started at noon, with doors opening at 11:00 am.
Senior RD competition started at 3:45 pm, with doors opening at 2:45 pm.

Not saying that I know what exactly transpired in your case -- but a Junior FD ticket would have made it possible to see a portion of the Senior Men's practice.

FWIW, the official policy for Detroit was:

Can I attend practice at Little Caesars Arena?​
Practice is open only for all-session ticket holders in the main rink at Little Caesars Arena. The secondary practice rink (BELFOR) is closed to the general public due to capacity issues. All-session ticket holders should bring their practice ticket to gain entrance. If you opted for mobile tickets, then you may present your mobile ticket as well.​

Yes, I too like attending practice.
Hope that one way or the other you can see some in Nashville.
I wanted to see all ladies practices in Detroit, and sent an email to some USFSA official asking for clarification whether I, as an all session holder, would be allowed to attend all practices, The official replied, by email, that I could attend. I took a hard copy of said email to Detroit. Although Little Caesar's staff were instructed to admit only credentialed people to the small secondary rink, I used my email from USFS official to gain admission, and watch secondary rink practices. There were probably about 75 seats or less, only about 15 credentialed people in the stands, and myself. I was fortunate.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey b-man, remember nats Boston? Here is a friend of mine, Howard. Howard roomed with Frank Carroll at a skating camp once when they were skating together... I got a pic of them together at a comp,,,
a nats.JPG

b-man

Final Flight
Funny story. I didnt want to go out and back in at Boston worlds between events so I walked up the turned off escalator to the nose bleeds...whole different world up there. Not a soul. But lots of empty vendors. So I hid in a bathroom stall. A policeman came in and asked if I was help. I said "Si" and he left! The condiment dispensors all had plastic wrap on the nozzels due to the rodents up there.!!!
(I cant tell from my pics if they were open for events at worlds or not. I assume you are right)
View attachment 3630
For Boston world's, I wasn't going to attend. One week before event, Polina withdrew and Mirai was added to team, so I had to go. Entire lower bowl was sold out, except one seat, which I grabbed. It was in block of seats assigned to Skating club of Boston and 2-3 rows behind Johnny and Tara. I sat with family of Heidi Munger for the week. She was a national senior skater and double in the "Tonya" movie. My all session pass didn't cover Skating Spectacular, so I bought cheapest seat for that, in the nosebleeds. That was the farthest and highest seat in an indoor arena I have ever been in.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
2019 Detroit:
- For practices in the secondary rink elsewhere within Little Caesars, access definitely was restricted. IIRC, at least for some practices in the secondary rink, not even All-Event ticketholders were given access -- although access was supposed to be part of their package.

I wanted to see all ladies practices in Detroit, and sent an email to some USFSA official asking for clarification whether I, as an all session holder, would be allowed to attend all practices, The official replied, by email, that I could attend. I took a hard copy of said email to Detroit. Although Little Caesar's staff were instructed to admit only credentialed people to the small secondary rink, I used my email from USFS official to gain admission, and watch secondary rink practices. There were probably about 75 seats or less, only about 15 credentialed people in the stands, and myself. I was fortunate.

Good for you, b-man, that you were well-prepared to show that you were entitled to watch practices in the secondary rink in Detroit.

The secondary rink at Little Caesars was a source of confusion, from my anecdotal observations. (I was just a volunteer who had nothing to do with gatekeeping.)
I witnessed an instance of access to the secondary rink being denied (at least initially) to immediate family members of reigning U.S. senior champions (who also were 2018 OWG team bronze medalists). My guess is that the family members had chaperone credentials, and that they had never had such a problem in past years. I hope that they eventually were allowed to enter -- when I happened to pass by, they still were appealing for permission. (Meanwhile, at other times, I did see family members of other lower-profile competitors watching in the secondary rink.)
I also witnessed an instance of security personnel in the secondary rink combing through seated spectators, speaking to them one by one -- with the apparent goal of removing someone who was not supposed to be there.

And I remember unhappy comments from some who had purchased all-event tix with the understandable expectation that they would have access to the secondary rink as usual -- without any extra documentation like yours. It came as an unpleasant surprise for them that Detroit was a different story than years past.

Lest anyone wonder: I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade or to sound like Debbie Downer.
I think the secondary rink at Little Caesars was an aberration.
Hope everyone who is interested in practices at Bridgestone Arena will have a chance to see them. (I myself am in this category.)

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Good for you, b-man, that you were well-prepared to show that you were entitled to watch practices in the secondary rink in Detroit.

The secondary rink at Little Caesars was a source of confusion, from my anecdotal observations. (I was just a volunteer who had nothing to do with gatekeeping.)
I witnessed an instance of access to the secondary rink being denied (at least initially) to immediate family members of reigning U.S. senior champions (who also were 2018 OWG team bronze medalists). My guess is that the family members had chaperone credentials, and that they had never had such a problem in past years. I hope that they eventually were allowed to enter -- when I happened to pass by, they still were appealing for permission. (Meanwhile, at other times, I did see family members of other lower-profile competitors watching in the secondary rink.)
I also witnessed an instance of security personnel in the secondary rink combing through seated spectators, speaking to them one by one -- with the apparent goal of removing someone who was not supposed to be there.

And I remember unhappy comments from some who had purchased all-event tix with the understandable expectation that they would have access to the secondary rink as usual -- without any extra documentation like yours. It came as an unpleasant surprise for them that Detroit was a different story than years past.

Lest anyone wonder: I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade or to sound like Debbie Downer.
Hope everyone who is interested in practices at Bridgestone Arena will have a chance to see them. (I myself am in this category.)
Ice coverage, I wonder if you’d be willing to share with us the process for becoming a volunteer at Nationals or similar competitions. I’m guessing I’m not the only one here who might be interested. Thanks!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ice coverage, I wonder if you’d be willing to share with us the process for becoming a volunteer at Nationals or similar competitions. I’m guessing I’m not the only one here who might be interested. Thanks!

For USFS volunteers, the initial general sign-up process (not for a particular event) has changed since 2017, when I signed up.
Seems that the current process starts with making a free non-member USFS account here:

IIRC, I had to give consent for a background check, at the expense of USFS.
(Whatever the background check entailed, it did not require me to do anything other than to give consent.
I do not remember whether USFS said that it would repeat the background check every year.)

ETA (on Jun 6, 2022):
A very belated mini-update:
In order to volunteer for 2022 U.S. Nationals, I had to get a new background check. (I think the result from my original background check in 2017 "expired.")
Although the 2017 background check was at the expense of USFS, I guess there must have been a change in procedure since then. In late 2021 (in preparation for 2022 Nats), I was required to pay the $30 (or $35? something like that) cost of the new background check.
Not a big deal -- just am making note for posterity.​

Some of the volunteer roles require SafeSport training.

When USFS is ready for volunteers to request specific shifts at a particular event, such as Nats, the event will show up on this page (log-in required):

USFS Event Management System is the software platform for requesting specific shifts. I find that EMS takes some patience to navigate, but to be fair, there are hundreds and hundreds of volunteer shifts to be filled for Nats -- across different roles/dates/times/locations/etc.
(No guarantee that a shift request will become a confirmed assignment.)

ETA (on Nov 29):
Happy to report improvement re 2022 Nats shift requests and EMS. :)
The procedure within EMS for making shift requests has changed, including easier navigation than for previous events (such as 2020 Nats).​

How far in advance does USFS start taking shift requests for a particular event?
In my experience, the timing has varied widely -- but IIRC, the request period for Nats typically is at some point in autumn.

I know that other USFS volunteers also belong to GS, and I think that any of us would be open to answering questions.

FWIW, the USFS page re volunteering: https://www.usfigureskating.org/support/volunteer

Last edited:

LutzDance

On the Ice
Thank you ice coverage and moonvine for sharing your knowledge and experience about watching practice at Nationals :clap: Sounds like all-session is still the best way to go, although sticking in the arena might work as well 😜

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you ice coverage and moonvine for sharing your knowledge and experience about watching practice at Nationals :clap: Sounds like all-session is still the best way to go, although sticking in the arena might work as well 😜
All session is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately none are at a price point I can afford. I will buy championship weekend. All junior tickets and some other tickets (pairs short in particular) can be purchased at the arena with no Ticketmaster fees (there really are only a few hundred people watching juniors if that).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
For Boston world's, I wasn't going to attend. One week before event, Polina withdrew and Mirai was added to team, so I had to go. Entire lower bowl was sold out, except one seat, which I grabbed. It was in block of seats assigned to Skating club of Boston and 2-3 rows behind Johnny and Tara. I sat with family of Heidi Munger for the week. She was a national senior skater and double in the "Tonya" movie. My all session pass didn't cover Skating Spectacular, so I bought cheapest seat for that, in the nosebleeds. That was the farthest and highest seat in an indoor arena I have ever been in.
Once at Spokane Nats I bought two tickets in the nosebleeds for the gala...never again...All I saw were the tops of skaters heads and some I couldnt event tell who they were....I went to the nosebleeds to see what they were like at Worlds London Ontario and they were so steep I got vertigo.... :laugh2: I have never gotten vertigo in any aircraft I have flown...I really liked" I Tonya". I remember Heidi... https://www.aberdeennews.com/news/u...cle_a68d0792-471a-5642-977a-6f7277f238f8.html

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
All session is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately none are at a price point I can afford. I will buy championship weekend. All junior tickets and some other tickets (pairs short in particular) can be purchased at the arena with no Ticketmaster fees (there really are only a few hundred people watching juniors if that).
That's one of the secrets to nats....for many of the 16 comps, you can move down many rows...sometimes almost to the front...sit with friends, etc. Seems like there used to be more of a differential between ticket levels so you could purchase the nose bleeds all event package and then single tickets for the big comps you liked....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Was it the last Minn/St Paul where we werent allowed into the secondary venue in any case? I like venues like the World Arena at Colorado Springs and the arena at Omaha where the secondary ice is right there.

b-man

Final Flight
Was it the last Minn/St Paul where we werent allowed into the secondary venue in any case? I like venues like the World Arena at Colorado Springs and the arena at Omaha where the secondary ice is right there.
Yes, it was 2016, I think, in St. Paul where practices at the secondary rink were off limits except for skaters/ coaches. I had a rental car and looked at the facility from the outside, a small facility with limited parking.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, it was 2016, I think, in St. Paul where practices at the secondary rink were off limits except for skaters/ coaches. I had a rental car and looked at the facility from the outside, a small facility with limited parking.
I think I am getting old, b-man...time was when the novices were at the main arena I would go back and forth and watch practices and comps...by the end of the week I was about dead....I would be caught napping...Chris small.jpg

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
Close and free breakfast. If you are willing to walk/uber .7 mile there are other options. $114 plus 15.5 percent pirate tax
I called on Friday and they told me the cheapest price was like $151 a night for Wednesday to Monday of Nationals week...

Manuel Pablo Arnao

On the Ice
Why do you all want to go to practices? It sounds a little boring. Wouldn't you enjoy exploring the city with friends or the people on this board and getting cocktails/yummy food? :)

Manuel Pablo Arnao

On the Ice
I'm going but debating whether to pay the $750 for the all-event pass or buy individual tickets to all the events which I ended up doing for Skate America 2020 and was much much cheaper. Thoughts anyone?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why do you all want to go to practices? It sounds a little boring. Wouldn't you enjoy exploring the city with friends or the people on this board and getting cocktails/yummy food? :)

I have not done it at Nationals, (never been) but watching practices at a comp with friends from this Board can be very entertaining.:p

For me personally, and maybe it's the result of age, a skating trip is a skating trip and a vacation is a vacation. If I wanted to tour Nashville, I wouldn't go in January.:laugh: