2023-24 Japanese Nationals - Men's FS | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Japanese Nationals - Men's FS

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russian video links done, may need VPN to see them (JPN works). JPN Videos to follow later...I am going to sleep. Feels like I am starting to catch a cold - too bad I have 2 more days of work, so I better take some Zinc, Vit C (OJ) and rest.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I'm catching up with a replay of the FujiTV broadcast.

Nozomu's jumps are good, but the PCS gap is a little glaring. His Pirates cut is one of the best out there, so I wish he sold it more. Bonus points for the booties, and the quads are lovely.

I love Tatsuya's free program. He did so well to not panic after the opening mistake. It's been really awesome to see him coming into his own, as he's a solid well-rounded skater, although he always seems to score in the 160s :LOL:. He reminds me a bit of Sota, I could see him really shining in a few years as he continues to develop as a skater and performer.

If Kazuki did all of his jumps like his opening quad toe, he could be on the World podium. He just tends to get a little squirrelly in the air and develop a leg gap like on the second quad toe, which hurts the GOE. But he was so clean on the rest of the jumps, last year this would have gotten him second easily. Of course, his performance skills are top-level as well. This was the most I've enjoyed this program, it's a sort of program that needs a clean skate to emphasize the simplicity of the music, but I wish there was a bit more building of the music to match Kazuki's energy at the end.

Shun's 4Lz is one of the best in the world when he hits it, and the rest of his jumps are good as well. I can see the PCS improvements he's made, but he can also be even better. He needs to get a little more into his knees and the ice to really push the skating skills score, but he is clearly putting care into the choreography. He's so close to a breakthrough, and he's definitely in the running for a 4CC spot. His consistency has also improved, this is I think the third basically-clean set of programs he's put out in a row, which is really impressive.

Kao's opening choreo confuses me. It looks like he's stirring a giant pot. Anyways, I think this program works really well for his speed and Kao-os across the ice. The opening jumps looked a little tight but the second half was 🔥. He SOLD that choreo sequence. His k&c reaction was so sweet too!

YUMA!!!!!!!!!!! Finally clean! It's not just the jumps, but the spins and skating skills and quality of the in-betweens is so good. You can tell he's had this program for two seasons, the choreography is so refined and detailed at this point that comes with time. It's so satisfying to see him go from a disaster last season at Nats with this program to winning the free here 🥹. I think his legs were dead by the end of the program, but he fought through everything.

Sota's costume is so pretty! He looked on fire tonight! He does do more setup for his jumps compared to the other skaters, but he is a great performer and has fantastic movement quality as well. I think all of the skaters had some kind GOE, but I can't blame the judges, everyone was skating so well it's hard to not get excited. Sota's fist pumps are always so adorable!

Shoma's jumps weren't his best, and he too got the "excited judge" GOE, but his skating is sooooo good. I could watch him skate in circles around a rink for hours. He only did two combos, though, and the axis on his 2T scared the baby Jesus out of me.

I can't overstate the depth here. Having three men who scored above 190 in the FS is insane, and then there are 3 men who are in the 180s as well! I really don't think you can go wrong with either Sota or Kao to Worlds, they both are excellent choices. Sota is more of a "skater's skater" and really laid it down here, and of course he had the success on the GP Series last year. However, he did kind of bomb Worlds and Nationals last season, as well as his second GP event. Kao has been more consistent and qualified for the Final this year, but he is less polished and tends to have injury, illness, chaos, and drama follow him everywhere. Kao did lose to Sota at SCI and here, so it will be interesting to see which direction the Fed goes in. I really don't think there's a right or wrong choice - both could be amazing, terrible, or somewhere in between. Based on Nationals alone, Sota should go, but body of work is a factor. I expect the 4CC team to be Shun, Kazuki, and Sota/Kao (whichever gets left behind), although I could see JSF wanting Yuma to go to 4CC to further establish himself as a Worlds medal contender and get those World Rankings points. If that's the case, I will feel awful for Kazuki, who will likely be left behind. Hopefully the other guys get some Senior B assignments, because Tatsuya and Nozomu are really good as well but doesn't have a prayer of getting a major championship assignment anytime soon.

Last edited:

Carol1

Medalist
The video of Kostner dancing with Lambiel is such wonderful holiday fun content! They still look into each others' eyes in a sweet and romantic way. I wonder if they will recouple in the future? Imagine the skating skills their children would have.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Links to Men's FS Video
Videos are not high quality but can be increased up to 720p by clicking on the settings gear
Please let me know if there are any serious problems with videos or links

All performances were taken from the FOD livestream (no commentary)

Warmup Group 1
1. Daiya Ebihara - 2023 Jr Nat’l 7th
2. Seigo Tauchi - 2023 Jr Nat’l 6th
3. Yuto Kishina
4. Haru Kakiuchi - 2023 Jr Nat’l 4th
5. Kosho Oshima
6. Sena Takahashi - 2023 Jr Nat’l 8th

Warmup Group 2
7. Takeru Amine Kataise
8. Haruya Sasaki
9. Rio Nakata - 2023 Jr Nat’l 2nd
10. Takumi Sugiyama
11. Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda
12. Tsudoi Suto - 2023 Jr Nat’l 3rd <---withdrew from FS due to injury 😢

Warmup Group 3
13. Kazuki Kushida
14. Koshiro Shimada
15. Sena Miyake
16. Shunsuke Nakamura - 2023 Jr Nat’l Champion
17. Nozomu Yoshioka
18. Tatsuya Tsuboi

Warmup Group 4
19. Kazuki Tomono
20. Shun Sato
21. Kao Miura
22. Yuma Kagiyama
23. Sota Yamamoto
24. Shoma Uno

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
The good news is that the World’s team is easy: Uno, Kagiyama, and Yamamoto. 4CC should be Miura, Sato, and Tomono. Team selections should be split. Any of the top 6 can take gold at 4CC, as was illustrated last year.
I don't mind these teams at all!
Although I'd really like Yuma to go to as many comps as possible, I don't want Kazuki or Shun to miss out 🥺 my goodness that final group was amazing!
Shoma has to break into new boots before worlds so I hope he gets the chance to do so.
I hope Rio gets confirmed for junior worlds.

Just home from work.
Wow! - what an event this will be to rewatch later. Congratulations to the JPN men!!

Peeking at the translated standings is really odd...Toto Automobile? Does Shoma have a dog?

View attachment 7416
He skates for Toyota but I prefer your version! 😊

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Oh my, I just finished watching the final group! I wish they all could have received medals because
they were all superb! Congratulations to Shoma, Yuma and Soto, well done! :bow:Shout out to the
other men in that final group they all really shined and brought their A game! :clap:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Final standings:

PositionNameSPFSTotal
1​
Shoma Uno
104.69​
193.35​
298.04​
2​
Yuma Kagiyama
93.94​
198.16​
292.1​
3​
Sota Yamamoto
94.58​
192.42​
287​
4​
Kao Miura
93.91​
186.17​
280.08​
5​
Shun Sato
89.8​
183.24​
273.04​
6​
Kazuki Tomono
86.88​
184.63​
271.51​
7​
Tatsuya Tsuboi
85.85​
166.49​
252.34​
8​
Nozomu Yoshioka
85.27​
164.11​
249.38​
9​
Sena Miyake
77.16​
148.96​
226.12​
10​
Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda
73.58​
144.04​
217.62​
11​
Koshiro Shimada
76.57​
139.4​
215.97​
12​
Takeru Amine Kataise
70.41​
141.85​
212.26​
13​
Haruya Sasaki
70.88​
137.99​
208.87​
14​
Shunsuke Nakamura
80.16​
127.54​
207.7​
15​
Kazuki Kushida
75.54​
128.73​
204.27​
16​
Takumi Sugiyama
71.68​
130.96​
202.64​
17​
Rio Nakata
71.45​
128.82​
200.27​
18​
Haru Kakiuchi
64.58​
131.72​
196.3​
19​
Daiya Ebihara
61.85​
131.11​
192.96​
20​
Sena Takahashi
68.28​
123.49​
191.77​
21​
Seigo Tauchi
63.89​
126.12​
190.01​
22​
Kosho Oshima
66.89​
122.47​
189.36​
23​
Yuto Kishina
64.52​
123.6​
188.12​
24​
Tsudoi Suto
74.61​
WD
74.61​
Thank you again for posting results!:thank:
Your help was greatly appreciated!

Also loved your "Season's Best" "Needed to lead" posts for the final group!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
What an event! :clap:
BTW, do we know who these ladies are? (The commercial with Mao carrying the colon across the ice (for probiotics?) was priceless!)

rabidline

Final Flight
What an event! :clap:
BTW, do we know who these ladies are? (The commercial with Mao carrying the colon across the ice (for probiotics?) was priceless!)

Ah, that's Kanako Murakami on the left with the short hair, and the one on the right is Sakura Kawasaki, a member of Nogizaka46. Sakura learned figure skating as a child, so she's been invited as special broadcaster or special ambassador lately for Japanese competitions.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ah, that's Kanako Murakami on the left with the short hair, and the one on the right is Sakura Kawasaki, a member of Nogizaka46. Sakura learned figure skating as a child, so she's been invited as special broadcaster or special ambassador lately for Japanese competitions.
Thanks! PaulE and I saw her live and in color at Portland Skate America where she won. That was a fun event......

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Links to Men's FS Video
Videos are not high quality but can be increased up to 720p by clicking on the settings gear
Please let me know if there are any serious problems with videos or links

All performances were taken from the FOD livestream (no commentary)

Warmup Group 1
1. Daiya Ebihara - 2023 Jr Nat’l 7th
2. Seigo Tauchi - 2023 Jr Nat’l 6th
3. Yuto Kishina
4. Haru Kakiuchi - 2023 Jr Nat’l 4th
5. Kosho Oshima
6. Sena Takahashi - 2023 Jr Nat’l 8th

Warmup Group 2
7. Takeru Amine Kataise
8. Haruya Sasaki
9. Rio Nakata - 2023 Jr Nat’l 2nd
10. Takumi Sugiyama
11. Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda
12. Tsudoi Suto - 2023 Jr Nat’l 3rd <---withdrew from FS due to injury 😢

Warmup Group 3
13. Kazuki Kushida
14. Koshiro Shimada
15. Sena Miyake
16. Shunsuke Nakamura - 2023 Jr Nat’l Champion
17. Nozomu Yoshioka
18. Tatsuya Tsuboi

Warmup Group 4
19. Kazuki Tomono
20. Shun Sato
21. Kao Miura
22. Yuma Kagiyama
23. Sota Yamamoto
24. Shoma Uno
Thanks, but it says when I click on videos of the last group that "the number of allowed playbacks has been exceeded." :(