2023 World Figure Skating Championships Women's Free Skate | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2023 World Figure Skating Championships Women's Free Skate

JimR

On the Ice
A month ago, Kamila herself claimed to be 163 cm tall, which would be merely 4 cm taller than Kaori and 3 cm taller than Loena. I'm not sure I would call that towering above them.

Haein is officially taller than Kami, but I wouldn't say she towers above Loena or Kaori either. Sure, she looks taller, but not like some other podiums with actually big height differences.

Early last year Shcherbakova was the same height or tiny bit taller than Sakamoto, and Kamila the same height as Shcherbakova. Since then Kamila has had a huge growth spurt.

I would say closer to 165cm now. This is what we wanted though more adult sized skaters succeeding and Kamila looks like she's going to be one of the best of this new age minimum era.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Once Alysa decided to quit skating that was it for the US keeping 3 spots i feel. Whatever weaknesses she had as a skater caving into pressure was never one of them and her scores from the Olympics and Worlds last season would have put either 4th or 3rd. Isabeau and Alysa would have been a fierce duo at Worlds.
Yeah, I'm still really disappointed that Alysa retired. I wish she had continued two more years until she turned 18.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Early last year Shcherbakova was the same height or tiny bit taller than Sakamoto, and Kamila the same height as Shcherbakova. Since then Kamila has had a huge growth spurt.

I would say closer to 165cm now. This is what we wanted though more adult sized skaters succeeding and Kamila looks like she's going to be one of the best of this new age minimum era.
What the heck does adult sized even mean?!?!? Adult women come in all shapes and sizes.

JimR

On the Ice
What the heck does adult sized even mean?!?!? Adult women come in all shapes and sizes.

I was replying to someone who said they don't like to see a 15 year old with the body of a 12 year old winning (quite insulting comment to shame a 15 year old like that).

Kamila is a 16 year old who could pass for a 19 or 22 year old in terms of height and build.

She's much taller than Luna or Kaori, probably similar weight to Luna as well.

vol5%2Fmedia%2Foriginal%2F0000%2F0838%2F51%2F000008385151_0%3A0%3A0%3A0_1400x1000_80_10_1_QWxleGFuZGVyIFZpbGYgIzgzODUxNTE%3D_116%3A95_sputnik-8385151-preview_bacd971cac4e863409c1098b4af80c5f.jpg

a_l_all-1.jpg

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
… and that 25-point margin was unfair, particularly her outrageous proximity to Isabeau after the SP given the severe underrotation on her opening jump that did not get called.
Not to 4th. 4th place at Nationals did not even ATTEMPT a 3Lz.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I wonder who's the fastest over all?

Tries to think of someone...fails :laugh:

Eek! A pop!
So during the men’s free I paid attention to the speeds, and yeah, they were doing 3As and quads, but even assuming a, idk, 20% reduction in speed would mean a triple would be roughly 16km, (which seems high, imo). Anyway, for a 3Am the fastest was still landing around 10-12km, and her 2A was 20. That’s insane. 🤯

HumbleFan

Rinkside
So during the men’s free I paid attention to the speeds, and yeah, they were doing 3As and quads, but even assuming a, idk, 20% reduction in speed would mean a triple would be roughly 16km, (which seems high, imo). Anyway, for a 3Am the fastest was still landing around 10-12km, and her 2A was 20. That’s insane. 🤯
People who actually skate might want to answer this, but I imagine the horizontal speed is very important because it keeps you stable after the landing. It doesn't affect the jump height or air time anyhow. Another thing I imagine might happen before the take-off is that you transform some of the horizontal speed (or, kinetic energy) into rotational energy. That might explain why 3As land slower than 2As: Both jumps might have the same speed, say, 5 meters before the take-off, but for 3A, you need to generate more spin and hence, you loose more speed.

HumbleFan

Rinkside
Well, to be precise, can't say that the horizontal speed doesn't affect the jump height at all. Take this Rune Almén guy for example: I 1980, he was doing 1.90 in standing high jump and probably 2.20 in usual high jump. So yes, there's a small niche effect if you can convert the horizontal kinetic energy optimally into vertical kinetic energy. However, I imagine that you want to convert it into spin too.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
People who actually skate might want to answer this, but I imagine the horizontal speed is very important because it keeps you stable after the landing. It doesn't affect the jump height or air time anyhow. Another thing I imagine might happen before the take-off is that you transform some of the horizontal speed (or, kinetic energy) into rotational energy. That might explain why 3As land slower than 2As: Both jumps might have the same speed, say, 5 meters before the take-off, but for 3A, you need to generate more spin and hence, you loose more speed.
Yeah, I think more revolutions slow you down a bit, even if you have the same takeoff speed. I am a skater, but no where near that level, so I can’t personally say if a triple take x amount more than a double. Nor am I good at science or math, so there’s now way I am figuring out all the details of the numbers. 😂

HumbleFan

Rinkside
Yeah, I think more revolutions slow you down a bit, even if you have the same takeoff speed. I am a skater, but no where near that level, so I can’t personally say if a triple take x amount more than a double. Nor am I good at science or math, so there’s now way I am figuring out all the details of the numbers. 😂
Well, I'm pretty good at science and math, but it's still puzzling to say the least. Human body is not a cannon ball. There are so many forces, muscles and bones involved. The calculation is hard. The best way to gain more understanding to this would be to tag a skater with sensors and do some measurements, but I wholly understand that if you've learned to skate the traditional way and you're good in it, you don't want to start to play a cyborg!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Lindsay would have been buried.
I agree, I think Lindsay is the process of a growth spurt and needs a little more time for her body to adjust. Amber had just defeated her at Nationals and earned her way onto the World Team.