2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating

Marirue

On the Ice

Edrian Paul Celestino (men) is switching from the Philippines to Canada based on the Patinage Quebec funding list for Equipe B.

I was quite surprised about that funding is provided for him in his area although I am painfully aware that my fed can do as much yet it's not possible in the circumstances that he has while representing the Philippines which is understandable.

I was wondering if the funding from Quebec if different from the ones of the Canadian National Team.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I was wondering if the funding from Quebec if different from the ones of the Canadian National Team.
It is different. There's additional funding for different provinces, like Ontario skaters can get funding from the Ontario government under Quest for Gold (most of the 2022-23 figure skaters listed were National Team members.)

Marirue

On the Ice
It is different. There's additional funding for different provinces, like Ontario skaters can get funding from the Ontario government under Quest for Gold (most of the 2022-23 figure skaters listed were National Team members.)
I see, I remember that he did won gold in the provincial competitions: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg-c3uULdum/?igsh=ODZ0OWttYmgza3ho

Aside from funding reasons that I have a possible feeling that it could be to see opportunities in Solo Ice Dance and he needs to sieze the opportunity as their possible pioneer Solo Ice Dancer for Canada.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Lol. I saw him on the cqe list and I was going to post in the Philippines thread.. haha

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Elizabeth Thibodeau-Mailhot/Daniel Villeneuve aren't on the teams :unsure: If I'm reading the criteria right, any Pairs team (Junior or Senior) that's competing in 2024-25 should automatically be on Equipe B (like Joy Weinberg/Thierry Ferland before they've competed.) I'm guessing that means they split.
Considering their high placement at Nationals, maybe they just decided to end on a good note ? But at the same time, they've been injured for so long and I thought they were finally getting back on track... I am confused.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
How did none of y'all notice this?? And how did I not notice this? :dbana:
OMG!! Yay! But, doesn’t he have more chances for international competitions if he stays representing Phillipines?
I will love seeing how he compares to our domestic men. Hoping he makes it to Nationals

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
@RatedPG

Audréanne is not listed anywhere. :(
That is so sad! I’m crying 😭
I sensed she was discouraged last season.
I was screaming that she was our best Canadian lady unknown to international market.
She skated so well last season and it was a shame she had zero international exposure!!
She beat Sara Maude at Quebec event and Challenger…only losing to her at Nationals
She beat Justine at both Challenger and Nationals
She skated over domestic benchmark (166+) at Challenger
She had a winning record domestically versus both Justine and Sara Maude. Yet, nothing…
Yet, Justine and Sara Maude are in the top funding category (excellence)
I also noticed Fee Ann is also in A category. I’m assume this is where Audreanne would have been placed.
I hope this lack of reception from Skate Canada didn’t discourage her to keep trying…. Leading to an unannounced retirement 🥺

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OMG!! Yay! But, doesn’t he have more chances for international competitions if he stays representing Phillipines?
I will love seeing how he compares to our domestic men. Hoping he makes it to Nationals
You know, his best element is his 3lz-3t. Considering Nationals, a good skate, even without a 3A last year landed Anthony on the podium. Edrian is capable of that kind of skate. He is a special skater too, in his own way.

I am surprised about the switch too but maybe it's a question of $$.

Edrian is with Yvan now... he's been improving. He was trying 4T before covid. Let's see what he can make happen. I am thrilled because truly, finally with Eddy, Anthony and Edrian, Quebec has decent men... Long are gone the times of Nic and Jo (and Elladj)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That is so sad! I’m crying 😭
I sensed she was discouraged last season.
I was screaming that she was our best Canadian lady unknown to international market.
She skated so well last season and it was a shame she had zero international exposure!!
She beat Sara Maude at Quebec event and Challenger…only losing to her at Nationals
She beat Justine at both Challenger and Nationals
She skated over domestic benchmark (166+) at Challenger
She had a winning record domestically versus both Justine and Sara Maude. Yet, nothing…
Yet, Justine and Sara Maude are in the top funding category (excellence)
I also noticed Fee Ann is also in A category. I’m assume this is where Audreanne would have been placed.
I hope this lack of reception from Skate Canada didn’t discourage her to keep trying…. Leading to an unannounced retirement 🥺
I am extremely upset.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Re Edrian,
He did represent Canada really well in juniors. He didn't transition well into seniors because of his non-existing 3a... but he did attempt 4t (i saw it live at CQE i guess in 2019???) Covid really halted his progression. He is with Yvan now and has two brilliant teammates in Paradis and Vasii. Maybe he just wants this camaraderie and compete at Canadian Nationals. When he didn't get another assignment to go for the LP minimums, I felt there was something odd there.

Re the Quebec funding : it's only given to skaters meeting specific criteria but it does confirm the choice of countries. When people were still discussing Izzo and Ferland last year, for me, it was clear... they were on the Quebec funding list... Patinage Québec doesn't fund skaters representing other countries :)

Marirue

On the Ice
Re Edrian,
He did represent Canada really well in juniors. He didn't transition well into seniors because of his non-existing 3a... but he did attempt 4t (i saw it live at CQE i guess in 2019???) Covid really halted his progression. He is with Yvan now and has two brilliant teammates in Paradis and Vasii. Maybe he just wants this camaraderie and compete at Canadian Nationals. When he didn't get another assignment to go for the LP minimums, I felt there was something odd there.

Re the Quebec funding : it's only given to skaters meeting specific criteria but it does confirm the choice of countries. When people were still discussing Izzo and Ferland last year, for me, it was clear... they were on the Quebec funding list... Patinage Québec doesn't fund skaters representing other countries :)
I was even wondering why did he accept the Josie Veguillas' offer of switching SkateCan to the PHSU from in the first place knowing that she and her husband didn't do anything to financially support them along with the corruption cases from Philippine Karatedo Federation.

Can you explain why you felt something odd? His last competition is 4cc which he has no time left and when I saw the Men's event which I felt that Edrian cannot make it at all.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was even wondering why did he accept the Josie Veguillas' offer of switching SkateCan to the PHSU from in the first place knowing that she and her husband didn't do anything to financially support them along with the corruption cases from Philippine Karatedo Federation.

Can you explain why you felt something odd? His last competition is 4cc which he has no time left and when I saw the Men's event which I felt that Edrian cannot make it at all.
i felt it was odd, considering worlds in Montreal, that he wasn't trying for one of the last chance challengers where scores are often higher. Did the PH Fed decide not to send him ? Did he feel he was losing support ?

Not going to the last chance challenger for me was the odd part. I was 100% sure that his goal was to go to home worlds. He just needed to skate a tiny bit cleaner and he would have made it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Also, considering Nationals are in Laval, just minutes away from his home club, he may get to skate in front of friends and family...

Sackie

Medalist
Why is Justine still being seen as one of the Favored Ones. She really has not produced many good skates. Yet she is in the Excellence group and keeps getting international assignments ahead of others , like Audréanne, who beat her on a regular basis. I can see why Audréanne would get discouraged. First Conrad, now Audréanne, who will be next.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Why is Justine still being seen as one of the Favored Ones. She really has not produced many good skates. Yet she is in the Excellence group and keeps getting international assignments ahead of others , like Audréanne, who beat her on a regular basis. I can see why Audréanne would get discouraged. First Conrad, now Audréanne, who will be next.
I think a lot of the issues are that Challenger assignments depend on doing well at summer competitions if the skater isn't assigned to the Grand Prix. Justine did very well at CQE, which got her ACI and a bronze medal there. After that, she didn't do as well. Since few other women were sent out (Fiona was the only other non-GP skater for the women), no one else has the minimums to be assigned to 4CC.

Marirue

On the Ice
i felt it was odd, considering worlds in Montreal, that he wasn't trying for one of the last chance challengers where scores are often higher. Did the PH Fed decide not to send him ? Did he feel he was losing support ?

Not going to the last chance challenger for me was the odd part. I was 100% sure that his goal was to go to home worlds. He just needed to skate a tiny bit cleaner and he would have made it.
So you mean those last minute comps? Tbh that I checked his bio that there are no records of those last challengers that you've mentioned even two seasons ago that he didn't made attempts to go there to get the need scores especially after 4cc at Colorado which he has some time left in the 2022-2023 season but he decided not to pursue to attend the remaining comps left which his mistake on his part.

So you're expecting the PHSU to exhaust all resources to send him to these comps is beyond me since my fed is in shambles when it's current president took over after the death of Josie Veguillas. It has limited resources from the county's 3 rinks and Edrian should be aware of it for the last 6 seasons or so thus he is responsible of his own growth. Don't expect my country to provide these resources for him since the PHSU president didn't have the political will power to convince the government or the sponsors to pour in money, even the local citizens are expecting the PHSU to support the National Team but in truth that it is limited.

If the Veguillas were unable to provide financial support to Michael Christian Martinez when he needed then in the case of Edrian and some extent Sofia that might experienced a similar circumstances.

Sometimes that Edrian is better off not switching to the Philippines in the first place if he is expecting financial support but little improvement on his part and I haven't heard of him on taking summer camp.

Last edited: