2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Women LP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Women LP

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
i am not sure I have it in me to watch this all day until the men... considering my boy is sitting in 10th place as of now.
It'll be a wild ride for that tonight. At least Gogo is out.

The last week must've been a rollercoaster for the skaters here, and I hope Skate Canada stops taking Maddie for granted after this. But it's Skate Canada.

rain

Record Breaker
It started last season, when she just didn't seem to have the joy or passion for skating anymore. With the better programs this year, she looked more into it. But even in her interviews she has been pretty ho-hum about skating in general, and hasn't given the impression that it is a great passion in her life. It's totally understandable given all the pressure, but I can't help feeling bad because she is such a great skater and performer. Not to mention extremely valuable in Canadian skating at the moment
Last year was such a difficult year for her. She just couldn't seem to put it together (this year has actually been better, with several really good skates). And the LP was such a dud.

When she came out with these new programs this year, which are great (the short, in particular, is a standout choreographically), I really thought she was going to have a great season, but so far it's been really up and down.

Sackie

Medalist
I think between her two programs Maddie was lucky to get second here. I was really hoping she would show some fight here. Have to wonder if there is something going on with her or her camp. So when was the last time the CAN ladies champ went to JWC? Would that be Cynthia? Have to wonder if Kaiya had her World mins what would Skate Canada do? Also this means the CAN ladies champ will not be going to 4CC!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It'll be a wild ride for that tonight. At least Gogo is out.

The last week must've been a rollercoaster for the skaters here, and I hope Skate Canada stops taking Maddie for granted after this. But it's Skate Canada.
I think Ted needs to tell Slipchuk to read GS.

soccerjc77

On the Ice
Such a disaster that Kaiya couldn't earn somewhere at 4CC or an other event her SP technical minimum. What they will do if Maddie is sick and cannot be at world ? They better look to send Kaiya to some of the Senior B just for securing at least one of the 2 ladies for world.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think between her two programs Maddie was lucky to get second here. I was really hoping she would show some fight here. Have to wonder if there is something going on with her or her camp. So when was the last time the CAN ladies champ went to JWC? Would that be Cynthia? Have to wonder if Kaiya had her World mins what would Skate Canada do? Also this means the CAN ladies champ will not be going to 4CC!
Yup Cynthia before her growth spurt.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well that was kind of sad. Yay for Kayla but Maddie just didn't seem into it though I think on the body of work and due to tech minimums she will still go to worlds. I would have liked her to skate off with Kayla at 4CCS but that's not happening. Maddie seemed to give the talk this was the eyar top ten but she has been rather ho hum. And we are not in the era when earlier on in Jennifer Robinson's career a ho hum fairly competent skater might squeak in top ten at worlds. What is more shocking is th down fall of Fiona Bombardier granted she is focussing on pairs. If it weren't for her bronze last year I am not sure she would be at Nats - still not sure she should be. It is just so sad to see her this year in singles from last. Maybe this will be a wake up call for Maddie but I do think if she skates ho hum at 4CC's andKayla skates well at YOG maybe they should start building on Kayla. It seems in skating ot we are in a situation not only in Canada that someone needs to take control of the discipline. We see a good battle in men's, dance. But in pairs and ladies it is up for grabs. I n Canada l dies had a wide open podium in many ways as no one has really show they want it or can get it. Poor commentators were struggling to find good things to say about these ladies in Canada.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Such a disaster that Kaiya couldn't earn somewhere at 4CC or an other event her SP technical minimum. What they will do if Maddie is sick and cannot be at world ? They better look to send Kaiya to some of the Senior B just for securing at least one of the 2 ladies for world.
They need to send the top 8 women out. Then hope that a couple get their tech minimums... Justine for instance, has the very elusive SP minimum already... She just need a decent LP and would get there. They've known that for a long time but yeah... she barely squeaked into ACI.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wanted a medal for Quebec women as clearly, there is a lot of talent coming from that province... and it's been a while since Joannie and Cynthia (and Amélie though I didn't like her much LOL)
I saw Quebec populate the 5th - 11th positions. Nice to see! But, yes, it is a shame none of them were on the podium at this event.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Light your candles for the men... Hopefully will be a better event, although after last night's disaster... Sigh...
Oh gosh. If I were Michael Slipchuk Canada's HIgh Performance Director or whatever his title is, it might be time to resign or be fired. This has not been good. As "bad" as the ladies skating the men's is even worse. The favourite is like in 10th place. Come on Canada someone show some hope, some promise in what is doom and gloom from Nik to the injuries of top pairs and dance team and both world medal fighters Piper/Paul and Deanna/Max making errors in the short respective programs. Can we blame it on the extreme cold????

Axel Rose

On the Ice
Fiona may have had a disappointing skate, but she and Kaiya have personality and I find them both refreshing. They skate with a joy for skating that is so often absent in women’s skating. I am sad for Fiona as I think it’s quite exhausting doing both singles and pairs in one day and she has such good basics and explosive jumps. I saw she and Kaiya as the future.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Fiona may have had a disappointing skate, but she and Kaiya have personality and I find them both refreshing. They skate with a joy for skating that is so often absent in women’s skating. I am sad for Fiona as I think it’s quite exhausting doing both singles and pairs in one day and she has such good basics and explosive jumps. I saw she and Kaiya as the future.
There was not much joy in Fiona's performance today though.

rain

Record Breaker
There were some disappointments here, but I was very encouraged by some of the up and coming skaters like Hetty Shi, Fée-Ann Landry, Rose Théroux, Justine Miclette and Uliana Shiryaeva (though it looks like she's a McLeod student, and McLeod never seems to correct her skaters' weaknesses, to their everlasting detriment).

Axel Rose

On the Ice
So short sighted of Skate Canada. They put Maddie Schizas on the worlds posters since at least last summer as though she was the pick no matter what. They’re sending her of course, but I did think that if anyone was going to beat her, it was going to be Kaiya Ruiter. If MS has to withdraw due to injury, there will be no one.

soccerjc77

On the Ice
I rewatch Uliana Shiryaeva FS and common ! How in the world that they lowballed so much her GOE and PCS was shocking to me.
And Uliana is the only girl that could earn easily her TES minimum for world because she is always so strong in the TES.
She easily get 32 and higher for the SP minimal and easily get 53 for the FS minimal in all her competition this season.
If they want an easy backup for Maddie, the answer is Uliana Shiryaeva or Kaiya Ruiter.