2024 Europeans Entries | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2024 Europeans Entries

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree with the feeling that initials are not cool but it depends where and how ;) in competition thread, the chatting is pretty much live and ongoing... and I find it absolutely fine there as well, if one is reading these threads, they usually know who is on the ice too ;)

Same with entry lists and so forth. I agree though that it can be confusing at times and harder to navigate with the so many new teams... I prefer nicknames :)

LaLa :)
The Canes (I never got into the Canadanes nickname too long)
BBs
Psquare
etc etc etc

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
As someone who just started watching ID last season, I remember how incredible difficult it was to follow the discussions because I did not have a clue what half the initials stood for. I still struggle with some teams or it takes time before I understand who people are talking about. So I prefer using either first names or last names. I do understand though it saves a lot of time, I think it works best using them a discussion they are already named with the full names. And with new teams, it´s really difficult when people don´t have knowledge about the team. Like not many would understand who R/M is.
Okay, I'll admit it... I've just had to look at the Euros entries to work out that R/M must be Reitan and Majorov (Swe).

skatingguy

On the Ice
I'm happy the Browns got their due at Skate Canada. I've been following this sport a long time, and the Browns losing to Smart/Dick at Skate America was one of the most outrageous things I've ever seen in dance. A complete and total farce. This little Montreal backlash is long overdue.
But the Browns are also an IAM team. :scratch2:
Incidentally, it took me until a few months ago to work out that the "IAM" that I kept seeing being referred to was the Dubreuil / Lauzon / Haguenauer setup in Montréal.
IAM = Ice Academy of Montreal - the actual name of the club - like referring to Sambo 70 rather invoking Tutberidze's name everytime one of their skaters is mentioned.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
IAM = Ice Academy of Montreal - the actual name of the club - like referring to Sambo 70 rather invoking Tutberidze's name everytime one of their skaters is mentioned.

Yeah, that's how the penny finally dropped for me, when somebody wrote the full name early on in their post, and then used the initials for the rest of it. But, really, it shouldn't have taken that long for me to find out. I guess that is a symptom of the club usually being referred to as just "Montréal" on here. It is only really in the past year that the actual initials have started creeping in.

Actually, what I just described is a pretty good habit to have, not just on here but in general when writing things. If you don't want to keep typing out the full words all the time, use the full words for the first occasion you are referrring to them in what you are writing, and then use the initials for the rest of it.

Although I would prefer full words all the time, it's a compromise that usually works effectively. That said, when you get a long post with too many initials being used as you get further down it, then things can get confusing again.

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah, that's how the penny finally dropped for me, when somebody wrote the full name early on in their post, and then used the initials for the rest of it. But, really, it shouldn't have taken that long for me to find out. I guess that is a symptom of the club usually being referred to as just "Montréal" on here. It is only really in the past year that the actual initials have started creeping in.
someone may correct me but i think IAM is a relatively new name for their club. I think we simply said Gadbois before, where they train.
Actually, what I just described is a pretty good habit to have, not just on here but in general when writing things. If you don't want to keep typing out the full words all the time, use the full words for the first occasion you are referrring to them in what you are writing, and then use the initials for the rest of it.
Yes but as mentioned, in competition threads, where there is an entry list, it's quite normal to go initials directly for skaters.

For skating club, it's much easier... It's hard to confuse TCC with anything and actually TCC stands for Toronto Cricket Club while nowadays it is Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club... I have never seen TCSCC anywhere :)

To me, it's just lingo to get used to just like using 3Li4 or 4lzq-EU-3s<

If you don't write on these forums, you probably have no idea what I just wrote.. I doubt anyone would write Group 3 lift level 4 or quadruple lutz at the quarter, euler and downgraded 3salchow combination

Abbreviations and initials are used everywhere despite the confusion it could provoke...

I find it easier to deal with things like that then, affectionate nicknames like Cactus :)
Although I would prefer full words all the time, it's a compromise that usually works effectively. That said, when you get a long post with too many initials being used as you get further down it, then things can get confusing again.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
someone may correct me but i think IAM is a relatively new name for their club. I think we simply said Gadbois before, where they train.

Aha! That would explain everything!

Thank you for the information!

:thank:

Yes but as mentioned, in competition threads, where there is an entry list, it's quite normal to go initials directly.

Fair enough. Although, it is a bit of a nuisance having to go back and forth to it, as I found during the Russian Championships. Because the Russian Fed doesn't provide Latin character versions of the livescoring pages any more, I had to have the OP of the competition threads open in another window to keep track of who was who. (Although I am getting better at reading Cyrillic characters, I still do not trust myself to get everything correct!)

I was actually thinking more about the threads elsewhere in the forum. There is one member in particular that writes very long posts that do not use names at all, only initials, and it is a nightmare trying to read them. Which is a shame, because what this member says is usually very interesting.

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Aha! That would explain everything!

Thank you for the information!

:thank:

Fair enough. Although, it is a bit of a nuisance having to go back and forth to it, as I found during the Russian Championships. Because the Russian Fed doesn't provide Latin character versions of the livescoring pages any more, I had to have the OP of the competition threads open in another window to keep track of who was who. (Although I am getting better at reading Cyrillic characters, I still do not trust myself to get everything correct!)
I can read the cyrillic alphabet just enough to decipher the names... It's not hard to learn. I learned it not for figure skating but for music. Took a couple weeks and I knew them all without much work. I cannot say the same about Japanese/ Korean/Chinese characters. There, I am clueless.
I was actually thinking more about the threads elsewhere in the forum.
Again, depends where. I think it's very important as the OP mentioned in their thread in the retirement threads... there, it can be so confusing.

But if it's a thread about US Dance teams for instance, well... though they tend to switch partners often, I think it's a specialized topic where most people would navigate easily. Of course, what may be great is in the OP a list of all the teams with their full names but I think most do that. Anyways... this is getting quite off-topic. So I will stop here : at least, this slight drift is happening way after the important information about the entries was released... so it is not conflicting with "news" ;)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
NEVER!!!!!!

I absolutely HATE people referring to partnerships by initials. It makes posts very hard to follow, because it takes ages trying to work out who is being referred to. A lot of the time, I can't work it out. And if I do, I've lost the flow of what I was reading, and have to start reading the post again.

Consequently, if I come across a post that is referring to partnerships by their initials, I nearly always just scroll past it and don't even bother trying to read it. It makes life a lot easier.

Incidentally, it took me until a few months ago to work out that the "IAM" that I kept seeing being referred to was the Dubreuil / Lauzon / Haguenauer setup in Montréal.

CaroLiza_fan
This is me so much. I just don't bother to read posts with shortenings. Like I zoom out listening to reports on tele/radio with abbreviations.

I suppose it's okay in competition threads, but for me it's still often hard to get who posters are talking about. Especially when reading a thread afterwards. And with all the changes in pairs and dance I still have to learn their real names.

Never knew what IAM meant until now.
Again, depends where. I think it's very important as the OP mentioned in their thread in the retirement threads... there, it can be so confusing.

But if it's a thread about US Dance teams for instance, well... though they tend to switch partners often, I think it's a specialized topic where most people would navigate easily. Of course, what may be great is in the OP a list of all the teams with their full names but I think most do that. Anyways... this is getting quite off-topic. So I will stop here : at least, this slight drift is happening way after the important information about the entries was released... so it is not conflicting with "news" ;)
Haha, I remember it also took me a long time to figure out what OP meant.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I agree with the feeling that initials are not cool but it depends where and how ;) in competition thread, the chatting is pretty much live and ongoing... and I find it absolutely fine there as well, if one is reading these threads, they usually know who is on the ice too ;)

Same with entry lists and so forth. I agree though that it can be confusing at times and harder to navigate with the so many new teams... I prefer nicknames :)

LaLa :)
The Canes (I never got into the Canadanes nickname too long)
BBs
Psquare
etc etc etc
Nicknames can be just as confusing as abbreviations. I have no idea who BBs (Oonagh and Gage Brown? Brooke MacIntosh and Benjamin Mimar? Natalie Blaasova and Filip Blaas?) or Psquare are. I would need a lot more context to work it out.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
🤭

go for Tim with an E :biggrin:
see... people complain about abbreviations... For the longest TIME, I though Tim with an E was TIME :) considering your tendency to make typos.

Also, I was asked once if Conrad was really my son.

My point : a jargon developed in an online forum is just a normal thing to happen.
I blushed when i found out that LaLa knew that fans call them that way.. because I think I started it with BB (which was back then Bronsard/Bouaraguia and not Bashynska Beaumont nor Brooke and Ben ...the latter are now MiMac :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nicknames can be just as confusing as abbreviations. I have no idea who BBs (Oonagh and Gage Brown? Brooke MacIntosh and Benjamin Mimar? Natalie Blaasova and Filip Blaas?) or Psquare are. I would need a lot more context to work it out.
LOL... we posted at the same time where I was explaining where that came from..
BB was Emy and Aissa
BaBe was Bashynska Beaumont.

Siblings are just called the Browns... or the Blaases etc.. or the best ever the Shibs !

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
A lot is very dependent on context as well. I've seen US and Canadian posters on this forum talk at complete cross purposes with G/P and not even realise initially that they are referring to different ice dance teams. If I started talking about Layla and Liam on a general thread, I doubt many people would know who I was referring to - and the same if I used K/C. Even referring to them as Layla Karnes and Liam Carr would potentially be meaningless to someone who did not follow either British skating or ice dance. With the context, someone can work out who the first names or initials refer to.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
A lot is very dependent on context as well. I've seen US and Canadian posters on this forum talk at complete cross purposes with G/P and not even realise initially that they are referring to different ice dance teams. If I started talking about Layla and Liam on a general thread, I doubt many people would know who I was referring to - and the same if I used K/C. Even referring to them as Layla Karnes and Liam Carr would potentially be meaningless to someone who did not follow either British skating or ice dance. With the context, someone can work out who the first names or initials refer to.
Except that Canadian ice dance fans know all about Liam...

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Psquare are Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier. For some reason, we have always tended to call this partnership by their first names. I don't know why, but my guess is that it dates back to the days when Piper and her twin sister Alexe were competing in the same category. If somebody said "Gilles", you wouldn't be sure which sister it was. But if somebody said "Piper", you would, because it is such a distinctive name.

And when Piper partnered up with Paul, because their first names both start with "P", they became P Squared.

By the way, there is a guy that I went to school with, and his nickname was "Boom Boom". And over time, it became "Boom Squared".

see... people complain about abbreviations... For the longest TIME, I though Tim with an E was TIME :) considering your tendency to make typos.

I thought the same! It was only when somebody else commented that the penny had finally dropped for them that I started thinking and realised what it really meant.

Which reminds me, have you eaten your boyfriend instead of your breakfast lately? :p

Also, I was asked once if Conrad was really my son.

With the number of skaters that I refer to as being "my kid", I'm surprised nobody has made that mistake with me. But I do remember not so long ago somebody believed @moonvine really was engaged to Jimmy Ma...

My point : a jargon developed in an online forum is just a normal thing to happen.
I blushed when i found out that LaLa knew that fans call them that way.. because I think I started it with BB (which was back then Bronsard/Bouaraguia and not Bashynska Beaumont nor Brooke and Ben ...the latter are now MiMac :)

I nearly died when the mother of one of the Cypriot skaters I have adopted told me that the whole team read what I write about them.

And that is a lesson to us all. Be nice, because the person you are writing about is probably reading.

CaroLiza_fan