Asada v. Tuktamysheva: 2015-16 | Page 27 | Golden Skate

Asada v. Tuktamysheva: 2015-16

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's too bad Liza is struggling with her consistency this year. She looked tentative going into that 3A, as if she couldn't decide whether to do a double or triple. Hopefully she can produce another strong LP and pull up into 2nd, as I think the LP will be a big challenge for Julia.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Liza's jumps are similar to Kostner's. Correct technique but a lot of stalking and not very consistent. Now, if she can become Kostner and have good programs year after year, I might become a huge fan.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Kostner has better posture and better lines going into the jumps. Actually for 3Lz, Gracie's is better than Tuk's and Kostner's.

Gracie can still do it in a triple triple combination. The other two have not shown that capability in their last two seasons.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Kostner has better posture and better lines going into the jumps. Actually for 3Lz, Gracie's is better than Tuk's and Kostner's.

Gracie can still do it in a triple triple combination. The other two have not shown that capability in their last two seasons.

Huh? Kostner did 3F-3T in 2013 W, 2014 Olympics, 2014 W. All big events. What more can you ask for? And she had been doing that triple triple combo for more than 10 YEARS.
If anything, Kostner has shown much more consistency than both Gracie and Liza combined.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Huh? Kostner did 3F-3T in 2013 W, 2014 Olympics, 2014 W. All big events. What more can you ask for? And she had been doing that triple triple combo for more than 10 YEARS.
If anything, Kostner has shown much more consistency than both Gracie and Liza combined.

I doubt you could say that before the 2011-12 season when Kostner finally started being consistent.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I doubt you could say that before the 2011-12 season when Kostner finally started being consistent.

Even when she was inconsistent, she did a lot of 3F-3T. 2007 W, 2008 W. Only 2009-2010 season, she was a mess, but she managed to put in a 3F-3T at Euro championship. If you go back to 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, she always did 3F-3T in almost all competitions.

In 2011 season and on, she switched to 3T-3T, and was doing them regularly.

That's a lot of 3x3 spanning over 10 years. Not many people can do 3x3 that long.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight

Lutz. Not flip. Lutz toe, not flip toe.

David21

On the Ice
Lutz. Not flip. Lutz toe, not flip toe.

That's right but she did 3Lutz-3Toe in the past and you cannot hold what you have posted against when there is no bonus under IJS to make a triple-triple with lutz instead of with a flip (when you do the respective other jump also in the program).

Kostner IMO has a better lutz than Gracie when she actually hits it.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
In the current rule, if you use 3F-3T or 3Lz-3T as one jumping pass, your program should come out to be the same. Gracie can't do 3F-3T to save her life either.
Wait until Gracie does 3Lz-3T 2 Olympics from now, then we can say for sure she's better than Kostner.

A lot of kids can do 3x3, but how many can do 3x3 at 25? Wrong technique will catch up. That's all.

yuzushenko

On the Ice
Mai's programs, especially th me free skate, don't need to be crammed full of transitions. If a skater has great basic skating/skating skill l, I don't need transition after transition because I can just focus on the quality of skating, the flow, the lightness and ease, etc. Her programs aren't completely empty, and the free skate is a good balance of everything.

well look at patrick chan, he's got better skating skills than mao and he still puts in transitions. just because you have a reputation doesn't mean you should just have an empty program and call it "minimalist art."

have you seen fan cams of mao during the FS at sochi? she is shockingly slow. back then she didn't get high PCS, and i would always be surprised as to why that was so until i saw the fancam. the ice is huge around her and yet with her very slow skating she would do nothing to reach out to the audience sitting in the very back. she looks amazing on camera, but in reality that just isn't so.

it's not as if mao was ever phenomenal before when it came to transitions and skating skills, her knees are a bit stiff at times. they have a soft bend but not a deep bend. no speed. suddenly now that she's back everyone treats her as if she's some patrick chan level of skating quality. in comparison to the current field, maybe. but there are plenty of ladies rising up that have the speed, jumps, grace, transitions, and skating skills. mao is relying on her reputation for PCS as if she had a great reputation preceding her when it came to SS and TR.

also, mao's jumps aren't great. sure she has a triple axel, but that's it. there is no speed coming out of her jumps. her combination jumps are always puny. plus the under-rotation and edge calls she's prone to.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I am talking about the legacy of the jump in general. How many women did it? You clearly don't need it to win right, but keeping the jump and its legacy. Mao did that, even when it failed, even when people told her to take it out.
In that case, I agree with you. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mao, to keep the triple axel alive for so many years. :)

I just don't think Liza was necessarily inspired by Mao, or that she wouldn't do the triple axel if Mao didn't do it. She could've been inspired by someone else, or she might just like the challenge. Or maybe Mao did play a big part. We don't know right now.

The first half of Mao's programs this season are full of crossovers to set up jumps. She's great during the Step sequences but lol. Go watch Mao and then watch Rika Hongo or something. Much more transitions! You can see Mao planting a jump from the other side of the rink. Full of crossovers, then probably a mohawk. There's just not much substance.

Tukt's jumps were great last season, until Worlds where she got sloppy because she pretty much knew she could win with just the 3A. step outs, hand downs, ect. I call her jumps unfit because she probably isn't in shape right now to the level she was last season where she could easily land her jumps without problem. once she gets mentally or physically fit again im sure she'll do fine but the way she's looking now shouldn't be considered world quality.
I like Rika, but I don't see how her programs or transitions are in any way better than Mao's.

Liza did not have any hand downs at Worlds. She turned out of two jumps, but the free leg stayed off the ice, so I wouldn't say she had step-outs either. At WTT she fell on one 3A (SP) and popped one loop (LP) but I don't recall any step-outs/hand downs/messiness on the other jumps. It's true she doesn't seem to be on the same form right now, but "she decided to go sloppy 'cause she has 3A now" doesn't seem very likely.

Last edited:

yuzushenko

On the Ice
In that case, I agree with you. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mao, to keep the triple axel alive for so many years. :)

I just don't think Liza was necessarily inspired by Mao, or that she wouldn't do the triple axel if Mao didn't do it. She could've been inspired by someone else, or she might just like the challenge.

I like Rika, but I don't see how her programs or transitions are in any way better than Mao's.

Liza did not have any hand downs at Worlds. She turned out of two jumps, but the free leg stayed off the ice, so I wouldn't say she had step-outs either. At WTT she fell on one 3A (SP) and popped one loop (LP) but I don't recall any step-outs/hand downs/messiness on the other jumps. It's true she doesn't seem to be on the same form right now, but "she decided to go sloppy 'cause she has 3A now" doesn't seem very likely.
well she could have also been tired. but it's kind of like finishing marathon strongly vs barely walking the finishing line. the former is a bit more honorable.

and she did lots of hand downs and 3 turns out of her jumps this season.