OPENING CEREMONY
http://www.efsc2004.hu/ang/news_040202_2.html

photos from the Opening ceremony
http://www.efsc2004.hu/hun/foto_01.html

ups... I can't edit subject... sorry for my mistake :D

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Kevin's down, but not out. It's early yet. A good SP and he can make up some ground.
Glad to see Lindemann off to such a good start, as well as Patrick Meier (7th in Group A; for him this is pretty good...)

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Does the QR actually count toward the total here? That's silly. I understand that they have to draw a line somewhere, but it's a little silly to say 33 men is too many to score in a SP, but 31 ladies is just fine. It's only 2 more skaters! I also think that it's a little silly to say that last year's men didn't have to even skate a QR, but this year's medalists not only have to skate and extra 4 minutes but they have to skate them well as well. :sheesh:

Skating is fun

Rinkside
Qualifying round

The qualifying round counts for 10 percent of the total score, it has been like that for a couple of years now.

I would rather have compulsories again, because many of the young skaters do not have the quality in their edges the people used to have a decade ago. Ten percent is not that much to really determine a competion, but will give the better skater a little advantage. And compulsories for sure aren`t that exhausting in the beginning of a long, hard week as skating a long perogram!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
Does the QR actually count toward the total here? That's silly. I understand that they have to draw a line somewhere, but it's a little silly to say 33 men is too many to score in a SP, but 31 ladies is just fine. It's only 2 more skaters! I also think that it's a little silly to say that last year's men didn't have to even skate a QR, but this year's medalists not only have to skate and extra 4 minutes but they have to skate them well as well. :sheesh:
Last year at Euros, the Ladies skated first, and the Men skated last. There were 33 Ladies, and quali rounds were held the first day. There were 31 Men, and the Wednesday quali rounds were cancelled.

I think the number of skaters may have less to do with holding or not holding the quali rounds, but more to do with the schedule. If I arranged my travel plans to arrive on Sunday to get to the rink first thing on Monday, having paid for an extra night at the hotel, only to find that the Monday competition was cancelled, I might feel a bit disappointed and pissy. It's another thing to tell people that they can show up for extra practices instead of Quali rounds on Wednesday, after they have already been to four or five events. I think they got the big guns to practice -- I didn't go -- so that people wouldn't be quite so disappointed. Men's events were the big draw last year.

Kati

On the Ice
Group A

1. Evgeni Plushenko
2. Ilia Kulik :)

Well, not Ilia KULIK, even if I miss him SO MUCH... it's Ilia Klimkin, another great russian!

brenlynn

On the Ice
i think kevin is most definetly still in the game. it's early and he has seemed to pull it together this season when it really counts. if i am not mistaken, the LP is his strongest suit?

GO KEVIN!!

kasia16

On the Ice
Re: Re: Brian & Evgeni are winners

Kati said:
Group A

1. Evgeni Plushenko
2. Ilia Kulik :)

Well, not Ilia KULIK, even if I miss him SO MUCH... it's Ilia Klimkin, another great russian!

Of course!:) I think I'm really tired today :rolleye:

I presume the Quialifying rounds will count toward the Final Placings. Since this is under the 6.0 system, the placements of the Qual Rd is important. It was a first place Fumie in DC Worlds' Qualifying Round which got her the Bronze.

And it Aint over till its over. The Short Program and the Long Program still have to be skated. I think the first six places in the Qualifying Round could, if the gods are with them, find themselves on the podium.

Hockeyfan - The European Men's skate is usually the most interesting at Euros. There's not much with Ladies, and the Dance and Pairs are basically already assumed.

Joe

Last edited:

Evdokia

On the Ice
Re: Qualifying round

Skating is fun said:
The qualifying round counts for 10 percent of the total score, it has been like that for a couple of years now.
I thought the qualifiying counts for 20 % of the total score? (With the SP counting for 30 % and finally the Free skate taking 50 % of the total scores?) Was there some change of rules this year?:confused:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I still don't think that this makes any logical sense.

I know that the qualifying round has been worth 20% at recent worlds, but wasn't sure about Euros.

When the mens QR was cancelled last year, I was told it was because they had too few men. Again, I don't think that the differece between 31 skaters and 33 skaters is great. I know that there has to be a line drawn somewhere, but if the QR counts towards the final, then that's unfair to not require it for everyone accross the boards.

In other words, the 2003 champ only had to skate for a total of 6.5 minutes and land 2 quads and about 11 triples. The 2004 champ will have to skate for 10.5 minutes and land about 3 quads, and 20 triples. How are these 2 comps equal? Just because one more guy shows up, I would have to compete almost twice as much? How is that fair?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
kevin

brenlynn said:
i think kevin is most definetly still in the game. it's early and he has seemed to pull it together this season when it really counts. if i am not mistaken, the LP is his strongest suit?

GO KEVIN!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

<kevin's secret valentine>