Caroline Zhang-Her Future? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang-Her Future?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I first saw Caroline in 2007 when she was expected to win the junior ladies competition at U. S. Nationals. Mirai pulled an upset and won gold...Caroline took silver. I have to admit that I couldn't believe anyone could skate as slow as Caroline and not just fall over! In 2012 I saw Caroline at U. S. Nationals and Skate Canada. No one would ever call Caroline fast, but I honestly thought she had improved and was not nearly as slow as she was in 2007.

It is really hard to tell if she is any faster than when I saw her a year ago since watching video is kind of deceptive. Looking at her 2A I see improvement. Between Tammy Gambill and Peter O. she seems to have gotten the mule kick on toe jumps under better control. It did seem strange in the FS that she didn't do any of her flexibility moves...especially with the layback spin when she didn't pull her leg up into a biellman.

I don't know the rules nearly well enough to say what would happen if she had withdrawn after the SP. Maybe she still could go on to Sectionals in November or maybe not....I don't know. If she admits now that she was injured before the start of SA maybe she could be fined like Rachael Flatt was at Worlds.

Caroline will need to compete at Pacific Coast Sectionals 18 - 22 November. In order to advance to U. S. Nationals she has to finish in the top 4. Guess we will see where she places and what condition she is in next month!

She hasn't ever been my favorite skater, yet I wish her the best and hope she follows her heart in her decisions.

mskater93

Record Breaker
It would seem she never found the right coaching staff.
That would be her own doing, though. Also, if she was as difficult as reported and Mingzu Li wasn't given the opportunity to fix the fundamentals earlier....

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Angela Wang received a bye through Sectionals to Nationals. The concurrents for Zhang at Sectionals are Leah Keiser, Vanessa Lam, Rachael Flatt, Laney Diggs and Katarina Kulgeyko. What do you mean: can Zhang beat Diggs and Kulgeyko and qualify for Nationals?

skatinggold

On the Ice
Angela Wang received a bye through Sectionals to Nationals. The concurrents for Zhang at Sectionals are Leah Keiser, Vanessa Lam, Rachael Flatt, Laney Diggs and Katarina Kulgeyko. What do you mean: can Zhang beat Diggs and Kulgeyko and qualify for Nationals?

Highly doubt Caroline Zhang is going to make it to Nationals. She can't even land a triple jump. At least she broke a record at Skate America for having the lowest score ever! Congrats! But you have to give Caroline some credit.. She is the only US lady in the last few years with 2 bronze medals at 4cc!!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Highly doubt Caroline Zhang is going to make it to Nationals. She can't even land a triple job. At least she broke a record at Skate America for having the lowest score ever! Congrats!

Nope, not true. At 110.12, Caroline's score was low, but not the lowest.

At 2005 Skate America, Anne-Sophia Calvez of France scored 102.88 and Zhang Fan of China scored 85.52.
At 2006 Skate America, Idora Hegel of Croatia scored 106.42
At 2006 Skate America, Michelle Cantu of Mexico scored 108.04 while Katy Taylor of the U.S. scored 106.07.

hasn't she already qualified for nationals, or no?

No. Skate America gave her a bye through regionals, but she will have to compete at sectionals this weekend.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
No. Skate America gave her a bye through regionals, but she will have to compete at sectionals this weekend.

ah, thanks. I don't pay enough attention to the qualifiers to know when they happen and who participates where.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Nope, not true. At 110.12, Caroline's score was low, but not the lowest.

At 2005 Skate America, Anne-Sophia Calvez of France scored 102.88 and Zhang Fan of China scored 85.52.
At 2006 Skate America, Idora Hegel of Croatia scored 106.42
At 2006 Skate America, Michelle Cantu of Mexico scored 108.04 while Katy Taylor of the U.S. scored 106.07

2005 Cup of China Amber Corwin from the U. S. scored 91.06 which is the lowest score that I remember.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I remember that! Wasn't her TES in the short like 12 points?!?! Must have been a bad day for her.

Yes, IIRC her TES in the SP was 11.00!! and she had 2 or 3 falls. The FS TES was under 30 and again she had 3 falls. I honestly can't remember if she was sick, or what, but it was a totally awful performance.

I have no idea why Caroline was so bad at Skate America. If it was an injury, it is possible she will do considerably better at Sectionals. If she doesn't have any triple jumps, she won't make it out of sectionals to Nationals.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Wasn't Li Mingzhu Lu Chen's coach? So she has coached champions. It's just sad to see any skater in that kind of shape. Though all the bashing is uncalled for. Someone should corrected her jumping technique long ago, when she was still a novice or junior. It's much easier to correct technique flaws when you're young then try to fix it when you're an older teen and your bad habits are entrenched. Such a shame, she has so many beautiful qualities but was never able to reach her potential.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Caroline Zhang's future? Well, she will have a great future in university where I am sure she will succeed.

loopy

Final Flight
She just has to place in the top four, right?
Sophia Adams
Camille davis
Laney Diggs
Rachael Flatt
Alison Jeffers
Leah Keiser
Katarina Kulgeyko
Vanessa Lam
Jordan Lee
Anna Malkova
Amy Nunn
Gwendolyn Prescott
Samantha Stevens
Angela wang
Caroline Zhang

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well Wang and Lam are surely going to beat her and probably Flatt. Keiser, Diggs also have a good chance of beating her so she is going to find it fairly tough but I do think Skate America was a really bad skate by fluke. She may not be great but not that bd usually. As for her future I don't see her skating at the Olympics or World's or even continuing past this year. I think this may be her swan song.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well Wang and Lam are surely going to beat her and probably Flatt. Keiser, Diggs also have a good chance of beating her so she is going to find it fairly tough but I do think Skate America was a really bad skate by fluke. She may not be great but not that bd usually. As for her future I don't see her skating at the Olympics or World's or even continuing past this year. I think this may be her swan song.

To clarify, Wang has a bye to nationals now that she will be competing at JGPF, so Caroline has a bit of breathing room as far as her competition.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
oh right about Wang = sorry I just saw her on the list and well I wasn't thinking. Zhang has a chance for sure; i do think she was really off at SA.It is sad she seemed to be getting it together and then the fall from grace - didn't she almost have it all.