Celebrating 2022's gay Olympians! | Golden Skate

Celebrating 2022's gay Olympians!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Celebrating the rainbow with nine publicly out gay Olympians:

Filippo Ambrosini, Italy
Kévin Aymoz, France
Jason Brown, USA
Guillaume Cizéron, France
Lewis Gibson, Great Britain
Eric Radford, Canada
Paul Poirier, Canada
Simon Proulx-Sénécal, Armenia

and a special shout out to the first non-binary Winter Olympian, Timothy LeDuc, USA🏳️‍🌈

This is from my own knowledge, so if there are more please let me know. I understand not every country has named its Olympic team, but I don't know of any publicly out skaters not yet named eligible for the Olympics; again if I am missing something, please let me know.

🌈:clap:🌈

Last edited:

Lzbee

Final Flight
I don't care if it's infantile black and white thinking, I will not tolerate someone actively trying to hurt a historically marginalised group. They may not have inflicted physical pain right this moment but so many have been physically hurt by people who hold these attitudes in the past.

Thank you to those who are fighting the good fight in this thread, it's not easy and it's tiring but someone needs to do it.

I just want to bring the thread back to celebrating the bravery of these people who have put themselves out there, knowing that they may be attacked for it, whether that's verbally or physically:

Kévin Aymoz, France
Jason Brown, USA
Eric Radford, Canada
Paul Poirier, Canada
Timothy LeDuc, USA

🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Congrats - especially happy to see skaters who I've been long-time fans of and have been emotionally invested in (Kevin, Jason, Guillaume) have the support to come out.
Congrats to all the others as well. (including those on and off the Olympic teams - including Amber Glenn

Matthew

On the Ice
I'm very happy about these athletes being able to be openly gay, today. A long way has gone since my childhood days where e.g. some political figures had to resign when it "came out" that they were gay. So much unnecessary harm has been done to gay people during my earlier lifetime, and I'm so relieved that nowadays things are much better for them, in the Western sphere, at least.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don't care if it's infantile black and white thinking, I will not tolerate someone actively trying to hurt a historically marginalised group. They may not have inflicted physical pain right this moment but so many have been physically hurt by people who hold these attitudes in the past.

Thank you to those who are fighting the good fight in this thread, it's not easy and it's tiring but someone needs to do it.

I just want to bring the thread back to celebrating the bravery of these people who have put themselves out there, knowing that they may be attacked for it, whether that's verbally or physically:

Kévin Aymoz, France
Jason Brown, USA
Eric Radford, Canada
Paul Poirier, Canada
Timothy LeDuc, USA

🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈
100%

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I'm thrilled for all these skaters, and so happy for Timothy. Regardless of where they and Ashley place at the Olympics, this is ground-breaking. I hope this paves the way for other queer, non-binary, gender non-conforming, and trans skaters to make their way in the sport.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Not only for Gay athletes, we should celebrate Lesbian athletes too!! Kudo to USFSA for supporting rainbow community! :cheer: I hope other skating Fed will do the same (South Korea, Japan, Russia, China) and express support for gay/lesbian athletes.
That won't happen tomorrow unfortunately.
The only out Asian athlete that i know is Fumie Suguri (Bisexual).

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That won't happen tomorrow unfortunately.
The only out Asian athlete that i know is Fumie Suguri (Bisexual).

Yup! And there are others, including Amber Glenn who identifies as bisexual/pan sexual, Karina Manta who is bisexual, Rachel Parsons who is bisexual, and Kaitlyn Weaver who came out as queer (after Fumie she is the second female LBTQ Olympian).

Skatingcat

Final Flight
So happy that there are LGBTQ athletes who are at the Olympics. Given the bigotry and hate that is out there, it truly takes a huge amount of courage.

I hope someday (soon) that more athletes are able to publicly identify themselves as LGTBQ without fear of repercussions, especially in countries where the bigotry is acceptable and considered the "norm."

Love is love is love

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Celebrating the rainbow with six publicly out gay Olympians:

Kévin Aymoz, France
Jason Brown, USA
Eric Radford, Canada
Paul Poirier, Canada

and a special shout out to the first non-binary Winter Olympian, Timothy LeDuc, USA🏳️‍🌈

This is from my own knowledge, so if there are more please let me know. I understand not every country has named its Olympic team, but I don't know of any publicly out skaters not yet named eligible for the Olympics; again if I am missing something, please let me know.

🌈:clap:🌈

Lewis Gibson, Great Britain!

This is his first media interview about being LGBTQ, published today.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I am just so pleased gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, trans, as well as non binary skaters can go out there, and do not have to hide their orientation or how they feel about what their gender should be and skate lights out! I definitely celebrate all skates who managed to get onto the Olympics teams (I want to see good skating), but I just am so happy those who are not accepted everywhere can skate as their own selves.

Last edited:

DancingCactus

Final Flight
A lot has changed in the last 10 years, were afaik the only active out skater was Johnny Weir who had never publicly made an announcement and was still treated badly by both media and judges.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Filippo Ambrosini
Kevin Aymoz
Jason Brown
Guillaume Cizeron
Lewis Gibson
Timothy LeDuc
Paul Poirier
Simon Proulx Sénécal
Eric Radford

I wish all of them to be treated fairly and without any predujice!

There is an article about LGBTQ+ community at Olympics: https://www.outsports.com/olympics/...ijing-winter-olympics-lgbtq-gay-athletes-list It's nice except they are saying there was no gay out Winter Olympian prior to 2018 Olympics, and we all know Eric Radford was openly gay already at 2014.