Chan thinks it's time figure skaters got unionized | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Chan thinks it's time figure skaters got unionized

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I didn't want my money to be put in the pocket of the skater who doesn't earn it fair and squre. That is presicely what I am talking about. It's a normal move of a human nature to believe that the justice will be done. You just don't know that. Or using your Patrick's word it's "stupid" :laugh: enough of his defenders to keep embarassing themselves by claiming that his wins are fair if you yourself just said that his appearance alone automatically guarantees that the prize money will go to his pocket.

Moir, Chan, S/P in SLC. It can't be a coincidence. Must be some cultural thing that make them sore losers who can't lose with grace. :biggrin:

That is precisely what I am talking about. What is "justice" in your book? Only when you are satisfied with the results, then it will be called "justice"?!:rolleye: You think only you represent "justice". It's stupid enough to use biased views then constantly call them "justice"!

I do not defend Patrick for his stupid talking. I have plenty complains about him. But most of his results were as justifiable as the results of the skater/skaters you root for. You just don't know that.

Right, now Canadian culture has a problem too. This must be "justice".:laugh: :popcorn:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You have to wonder what Skate Canada thinks of Chan's latest foot-in-mouth gaffe. He pretty much blamed them for forcing him to skate even before this interview.

Under the current arrangement, only federations have a relationship with the ISU. Federations manage their own skaters. For Chan to speak militantly about a union would most directly affect the federation and its relationship with the ISU, and that inevitably could affect all the Canadian skaters.

Chan's big mouth is a detriment to his ability to attract sponsors. What sponsor would welcome a representative who publicly badmouths both his federation and the organization that awards him prize money?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You have to wonder what Skate Canada thinks of Chan's latest foot-in-mouth gaffe. He pretty much blamed them for forcing him to skate even before this interview.

Under the current arrangement, only federations have a relationship with the ISU. Federations manage their own skaters. For Chan to speak militantly about a union would most directly affect the federation and its relationship with the ISU, and that inevitably could affect all the Canadian skaters.

Chan's big mouth is a detriment to his ability to attract sponsors. What sponsor would welcome a representative who publicly badmouths both his federation and the organization that awards him prize money?

Chuck you bring up a really good point. Contrary to what we think, the ISU's relationship is with member countries NOT skaters. Yes, they put restrictions on the skaters, but I believe any infractions given would be given via the skater's federation.

One does have to wonder why Chan didn't bring this matter up to Skate Canada privately. He is of great value to Skate Canada, surely they would have been open to send someone else?

Anyway, just as a comparison, it was clear that Yuna DID NOT want to be at 2010 Worlds, but she went at the urging of her federation, but you did not see her mouthing off about it. In fact, I admire the fact she decided to come back so she could extend the Olympic experience to younger skaters. Or the fact that she uses a lot of her endorsement money for scholarships/funding for those younger skaters....

I don't know.This quote kind of suggests that there were discussions between the ISU and member federations as to who had to go and who were allowed to get out of it. Patrick says that it was the ISU who decided that the second line of ice dancers were good enough, but not the third Canadian man.

“I could have said I was hurt, which is what a lot of skaters did, the Russians and Chinese,” says Chan, who is too honest for wink-wink opt-out excuses. “But I would have paid a penalty. The ISU does not allow me not to do it.

The 22-year-old was “named” to Canada’s squad for the 2013 World Team event that finished second in Tokyo because of his international ranking. Kevin Reynolds of Coquitlan, B.C., was also on the roster but, in the absence of Chan, the only alternate option for the required second male participant would have been Newmarket’s Andrei Rogozine — fifth at 2012 nationals and not good enough by ISU reckoning. Ice dancers Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir were able to sidestep Tokyo, in part because the second-ranked Canadian duo of Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje were deemed suitably elite (fifth at worlds) for the assignment. Ditto for the American contingent in dance, with reigning world champions Charlie White and Meryl Davis navigating a pass.

LRK

Record Breaker
It's an interesting question... But he is Skate Canada's gold cow, though, is he not? After all, who else do they have of... er... "equal value". ;) I don't know how this works, but can/will the ISU descend in its wrath upon Skate Canada? Can/will Skate Canada do anything to rein Chan in? After all, he doesn't have a technical coach, and his coach is not even a figure skating coach, which to me says that he is pretty much free to do whatever he pleases. If he is free to make those kinds of choices, then he is free to do whatever. And since he still continues to win... well... why not? (shrugs)

fairly4

Medalist
What patrick,says can hurt him, think phelps after dui, pot picture, woods ,
Even everyday people get,hurt by what they say on social media,by not getting jobs,hard time findjng one.bpeople think something you are noy.
Even,evegny, johnny words hurt them to a point.
Patrick should chose his words more carefully.

Canadian federation as,with others federation should tell skaters to watch how they say things public, media might interpret it kn a way they didnt intend. Summarize in a way that they wasnt ecpdcting
Yes with the way skaters have been talking has hurt.

fairly4

Medalist
Federation should glean verbage of top skaters through pf.
Top sports like baseball,basketball, football does have athletes,watch what they say . Not to make league, other teams players look to bad.
Patrick insulted menshov, wtt people by calling competition stupid, it comes across as I am better,than,you I dont care for the people of japan, other skaters.

Fans remember these words come,polling time in favorite skaters,etc. It factors in on handling on\off ice.
Sore winner,sore loser type, unsportmanlike.
Patrick might get some, but like alot of othef skaters not what we wanted or deserved
Think your actions mouth or otherwise plays a part and a OGM medal doesnt cover up everything.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't know.This quote kind of suggests that there were discussions between the ISU and member federations as to who had to go and who were allowed to get out of it. Patrick says that it was the ISU who decided that the second line of ice dancers were good enough, but not the third Canadian man.

This quote also suggests that Chan thinks the Russian and Chinese are no-good injury fakers too. ;)

This tweet notes that B/S was injured:
Ice Dancers Bobrova/Soloviev (RUS) withdrawn from WTT as he suffers from groin injury, replaced by Monko/Khaliavin.

And who on the Chinese team was he referring to? Pang and Tong? That team has basically been dealing with injuries from competing for the last million years. Or was he referring to Song Nan, who had a foot injury?!

Sounds like valid injuries to me.

Here is another article in which Patrick talks about looking forward to training in Detroit. (He likes hanging out with Jeremy Abbott and Alissa Czisny. :) )

"Hopefully I can start the season well by training in an environment where I'm happy and that will be in Detroit," Chan said after falling on three occasions during his free skate at the World Team Trophy which ended Saturday.

"A very positive environment is going to help my training. I don't think there is anything new I need to do technically.

"Really all the work is done and it's just really about competing and repetition and consistent training," Chan, who was fifth in his Olympic debut in Vancouver 2010, added.

Chan cited the difficulty of starting the season with a new coach as a factor in the disappointments but decided to change his training schedule....Chan has been quoted as saying something was "wrong" with the Colorado environment but he wasn't specific.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130414/figure-skating-chan-switches-focus-olympics

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
I gave into Chan and admitted how I felt about his skating but this is why I hate loving his skating...:laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
"A very positive environment is going to help my training. I don't think there is anything new I need to do technically.

? It doesn't sound like he's going to be willing to pay a technical coach then.

In fact, is he going to have any coach at all for the coming season?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
"Hopefully I can start the season well by training in an environment where I'm happy and that will be in Detroit," Chan said after falling on three occasions during his free skate at the World Team Trophy which ended Saturday.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130414/figure-skating-chan-switches-focus-olympics

I kind of agree with him. His axel is really the only thing that needs tinkering technically. Clearly he is able to land both quads. The trouble for him is maintaining focus throughout the rest of his program. Although he might benefit from removing some of the transitions, it's not his style to reduce his difficulty -- particularly when he depends on that if he makes errors. Things like his falls on his lutzes or stumbles in footwork/spins are mental errors, and he really needs to maintain his level of concentration throughout the program. This season should be a wakeup call and he's lucky that his other competitors were also struggling.

As for what was "wrong" with his situation in Colorado Springs, this is what he said in the other interview:

The ice sessions in Detroit are much more catered to elite skaters. I don’t have to fight for music, I don’t have to fight for my space on the ice. I don’t have to deal with drama with coaches, everyone gets along.

phaeljones

On the Ice
That is precisely what I am talking about. What is "justice" in your book? Only when you are satisfied with the results, then it will be called "justice"?!:rolleye: You think only you represent "justice". It's stupid enough to use biased views then constantly call them "justice"!

I do not defend Patrick his stupid talking. I have plenty complains about him. But most of his results were as justifiable as the results of the skater/skaters you root for. You just don't know that.

Right, now Canadian culture has a problem too. This must be "justice".:laugh: :popcorn:

Nope. Canadian culture does not have a problem. :p

phaeljones

On the Ice
As for what was "wrong" with his situation in Colorado Springs, this is what he said in the other interview:
The ice sessions in Detroit are much more catered to elite skaters. I don’t have to fight for music, I don’t have to fight for my space on the ice. I don’t have to deal with drama with coaches, everyone gets along.

Well . . . we'll see if it stays that way after he skates there for a while and does a few more interviews. All someone has to do is ask him about Detroit and the skaters who skate there. Maybe DiManno will do an article on it. Goldenskate will get another meaty thread from it for sure.

They must love him in Colorado.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Nope. Canadian culture does not have a problem. :p

Of course not. I was sarcastic. I don't see big differences between their after-competition comments and some of Joubert's, Plushenko's, Tatiana Totmianina's, Abbott's, Lysacek's, and Weir's comments.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I kind of agree with him. His axel is really the only thing that needs tinkering technically. Clearly he is able to land both quads. The trouble for him is maintaining focus throughout the rest of his program. Although he might benefit from removing some of the transitions, it's not his style to reduce his difficulty -- particularly when he depends on that if he makes errors. Things like his falls on his lutzes or stumbles in footwork/spins are mental errors, and he really needs to maintain his level of concentration throughout the program. This season should be a wakeup call and he's lucky that his other competitors were also struggling.

The real problem, IMO, is that many of Chan's competitors have started to out-jump him. SP-wise they are about even in terms of jumps, but LP-wise, Chan has lost his old advantage in base value. Chan's top jumping passes are 4T, 4T-3T and a 3Ax. Fernandez is doing 4T, 4S-3T, 3A. 4Sx. Hanyu is doing 4T, 4S, 3A-3Tx, 3A-2Tx. Takahashi is doing 4T, 4T-3T, 3A, 3A-3Tx. Chan was lucky in London because Fernandez, Hanyu and Takahashi all bombed in at least one program at the event. Chan still has the PCS advantage, but that can easily be negated if any one of Fernandez, Hanyu, or Takahashi hits their jumps and Chan is less than pristine....especially at an event like the Olympics, when cleaner programs are likely to be favored so that the ISU will avoid another SLC-style embarassment.

IMO, Chan should get a real tech coach so that he can work on adding another quad or at least another 3A to his LP, but clearly he thinks he doesn't need to. Maybe he doesn't, but I think he may be in for an unpleasant surprise in Sochi if any one of Fernandez, Hanyu and Takahashi manage to skate decently in both programs.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This quote also suggests that Chan thinks the Russian and Chinese are no-good injury fakers too. ;)

I'd dearly love to find out which Russian men he thought were faking.

"The ice sessions in Detroit are much more catered to elite skaters. I don’t have to fight for music, I don’t have to fight for my space on the ice. I don’t have to deal with drama with coaches, everyone gets along. "

Mmm-hmm. You know, Mr Chan, your comments may have more validity if there weren't other elite skaters in CS - if two of the US National medallists (including the champion) didn't train there; if one of the most promising talents of US men hadn't been planning for years to move there when he finished school.

I'm sure Max, Joshua, Jason, and every other Junior and Senior international skater training at CS were so thrilled to hear about Detroit's more "elite" environment.

Or maybe his problem is that Max is too fast for him? ;)

phaeljones

On the Ice
Of course not. I was sarcastic. I don't see big differences between their after-competition comments and some of Joubert's, Plushenko's, Tatiana Totmianina's, Abbott's, Lysacek's, and Weir's comments.

I thought your comment was funny and given in good context. I just couldn't resist.

I do think, however, that the Canadian Skating Federation should do something to clear the air because Mr. Chan's comments do raise issues that the Canadian Skating Federation need speak to.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I do think, however, that the Canadian Skating Federation should do something to clear the air because Mr. Chan's comments do raise issues that the Canadian Skating Federation need speak to.

Skate Canada is very laidback. So laidback that sometimes I wish they could step up and take the charge like Japanese, French, and Russian Feds.:)

Mmm-hmm. You know, Mr Chan, your comments may have more validity if there weren't other elite skaters in CS - if two of the US National medallists (including the champion) didn't train there; if one of the most promising talents of US men hadn't been planning for years to move there when he finished school.

I'm sure Max, Joshua, Jason, and every other Junior and Senior international skater training at CS were so thrilled to hear about Detroit's more "elite" environment.

Or maybe his problem is that Max is too fast for him? ;)

Or maybe the problem is that Krall and Johnson don't get along?:p Notice that he said about "deal with drama with coaches"?;)