Chan thinks it's time figure skaters got unionized | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Chan thinks it's time figure skaters got unionized

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since he 'fired' Krall last year, why should he care what she thinks, or why would Krall even bother to speak to him and Johnson?

I think it's because he's aware his jumps aren't as reliable as they used to be and doesn't want to see the expression on Krall's face when he falls repeatedly.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
He also probably figures he has only 1 year of amateur competition left so why bother getting a new coach just for that. Basically it is just another grand prix series, the Olympics, then he is done, so not worth getting a new coach just for that. Plus he keeps winning everything with 4 or 5 falls worth of mistakes so why bother as well.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Since he 'fired' Krall last year, why should he care what she thinks, or why would Krall even bother to speak to him and Johnson?

If so, then the environment in Colorado Springs is a little bit tension filled, isn't it? Actually, I believe it's more like Krall and Johnson's conflicts on and under the surface. The situation has made it difficult for Patrick to deal with.

I think it's because he's aware his jumps aren't as reliable as they used to be and doesn't want to see the expression on Krall's face when he falls repeatedly.

What kind of sentiment would that be? Does he want to be an Olympic champion or not?! I don't think that's the reason.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah, I'm curious as to what happened in Colorado. Seems like infighting. It's sad to see skaters achieve success and then things turn ugly with their coaches, as with Chan and Kim. You would think the opposite would happen when a skater gets good results.

I leaned it from Patrick Chan. I too want to be an untouchable holy cow homologated by ISU. :laugh:

The name calling is beyond immature (even for you). And if you're going to call names, at least make them funny to somebody other than yourself. :rolleye:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Didn't Krall "fire" Chan?

What I recall is that Krall went public first and said (I'm paraphrasing) that she decided to part ways from Chan because he intended to reduce what had been her role as primary coach (with precedence over Johnson and Shipstad).
The implication was that if a lesser role had been satisfactory to Krall, she and Chan would have continued working together on some level. And AFAIK, Chan said nothing to the press to negate that scenario.
But Krall declined a decrease in her responsibility, and chose to walk away.

He also probably figures he has only 1 year of amateur competition left so why bother getting a new coach just for that. Basically it is just another grand prix series, the Olympics, then he is done, so not worth getting a new coach just for that. ....

"Just" the Olympics? :laugh: :eek: :laugh:

I kind of agree with him. His axel is really the only thing that needs tinkering technically. Clearly he is able to land both quads. The trouble for him is maintaining focus throughout the rest of his program. Although he might benefit from removing some of the transitions, it's not his style to reduce his difficulty -- particularly when he depends on that if he makes errors. Things like his falls on his lutzes or stumbles in footwork/spins are mental errors, and he really needs to maintain his level of concentration throughout the program. This season should be a wakeup call and he's lucky that his other competitors were also struggling.

I guess it depends on what we mean by "technical." I agree with Patrick that he doesn't need to add any more high-revolution jumps to his layout. If he lands everything on his jump card, he will win.

But falling is a technical issue. If you do the jump with correct technique, you will not fall. Same with faulty jumps caused by too many transitional moves. All of that is technique. I don't know exactly what a good technical coach does to help a skater clean up those messy spots that costs Patrick so many points, but that's how a coach earns his or her money.

Two seasons ago Patrick's goal was to master the quad. He did. Last season his goal was to work on his presentation skills. I do not think that this was particularly successful -- I cannot see that he is more musical in 2012-2013 than before, or that he had better choreography. But I do applaud him for setting aside a season to work on this aspect of his skating.

But now he has to forget all that and skate for the Olympic gold medal. Technique, technique, technique. If you have proper technique you don't fall, you don't stumble, you don't have wonky landings. If Patrick can demonstrate perfect mastery of technique, it doesn't matter what the other guys do.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I'm sure Patrick would like to travel back in time when figure skaters got big bucks on those tours. You know when I'd like to see him travel back in time to? Back when amateur skaters were amateurs and didn't get a dime, and skated for the love of it all. Oh yeah, and back when you didn't win a medal of any color with three falls.

He comes off as calculating, as someone who is skating mainly for the money. He figured out some formula of pleasing the judges that apparently nobody else has figured out yet, so he's got a good thing going, but it isn't enough. I don't get the impression he even enjoys skating any more, and he certainly doesn't enjoy putting on a nice little show for the Japanese fans.

This is two articles about poor Patrick that he contributed to by giving out self-pitying quotes. I can't think of anyone else with such a record.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He also probably figures he has only 1 year of amateur competition left so why bother getting a new coach just for that. Basically it is just another grand prix series, the Olympics, then he is done, so not worth getting a new coach just for that. Plus he keeps winning everything with 4 or 5 falls worth of mistakes so why bother as well.

He hasn't won anything with 4 falls in the past 3 seasons, and he's never won anything with 5 falls.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he continued after the Olympics; he'd only be 23. And if he doesn't win in Sochi, his chances of staying on are greater.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chan has always said he'd like to go on to other things---like college. Education is very important to a Chinese family.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Good for Chan. I don't think he says anything remotely unreasonable here. (If that seems like sarcasm, it isn't meant to.) People who are privileged have a special duty to fight for justice, and if anyone in figure skating is privileged, it's Chan. Honestly, I like him so much more now!

The writer of the article clearly has a bias (you can tell from the tone), and I think that explains some of the complaints against Chan people have made here. Seems likely that some of Chan's quotes were taken out of context or other things he may have said were left out.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm not a huge fan of Chan's but he does have a point. Some of the rules are stupid and do not factor in the needs of the skaters at all. If Canada had another man place near the top at worlds Chan wouldn't have to go to WTT. This is totally arbitrary and completely out of Patrick's control.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Chuck you bring up a really good point. Contrary to what we think, the ISU's relationship is with member countries NOT skaters. Yes, they put restrictions on the skaters, but I believe any infractions given would be given via the skater's federation.

One does have to wonder why Chan didn't bring this matter up to Skate Canada privately. He is of great value to Skate Canada, surely they would have been open to send someone else?

Anyway, just as a comparison, it was clear that Yuna DID NOT want to be at 2010 Worlds, but she went at the urging of her federation, but you did not see her mouthing off about it. In fact, I admire the fact she decided to come back so she could extend the Olympic experience to younger skaters. Or the fact that she uses a lot of her endorsement money for scholarships/funding for those younger skaters....

Yuna also went to 2011 Worlds at the urging of her federation and Pyongchang Olympic bid team, though she didn't want to go. She never said anything about it except that the season felt very long and tiring and that she wished to be finished with the comp and go home and rest soon.

It was months later that she revealed about the enormous pressure she was under at that time to compete, regardless of her desire.

And Chuck brings up a good point -- who would want to sponsor a guy who mouths off everyone publicly? Why would Nike or some other companies sponsor a guy who might turn against them b/c he didn't feel he got what he was entitled to.

I'm sure Patrick would like to travel back in time when figure skaters got big bucks on those tours. You know when I'd like to see him travel back in time to? Back when amateur skaters were amateurs and didn't get a dime, and skated for the love of it all. Oh yeah, and back when you didn't win a medal of any color with three falls.

He comes off as calculating, as someone who is skating mainly for the money. He figured out some formula of pleasing the judges that apparently nobody else has figured out yet, so he's got a good thing going, but it isn't enough. I don't get the impression he even enjoys skating any more, and he certainly doesn't enjoy putting on a nice little show for the Japanese fans.

This is two articles about poor Patrick that he contributed to by giving out self-pitying quotes. I can't think of anyone else with such a record.

Sadly, you have to be liked to make big bucks from tours. Saying bad things about others, organizers and sponsors, etc. does not earn you invites to lucrative shows.

Antiloquy

Rinkside
Well, Rosie DiManno is a a pretty awful writer and has some strange opinions about figure skating. And other things.

Patrick said some things that needed to be said, and some things that didn't. I agree that WTT makes the season end with kinda more of a whimper than a bang at Worlds; Worlds itself has the same problem during Olympic years. Also I approve of anyone who criticizes the ISU, especially active skaters who do have something to lose. That said, he had no reason to accuse the Russian and Chinese skaters of manufacturing injuries to avoid the competition and then make it sound like his being a better skater makes him more valuable.

Basically, regardless of what needed to be said and what didn't, he needed to have said it all better. This kid really should just keep his mouth shut or hire an editor or something.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Well, Rosie DiManno is a a pretty awful writer and has some strange opinions about figure skating. And other things.

Patrick said some things that needed to be said, and some things that didn't. I agree that WTT makes the season end with kinda more of a whimper than a bang at Worlds; Worlds itself has the same problem during Olympic years. Also I approve of anyone who criticizes the ISU, especially active skaters who do have something to lose. That said, he had no reason to accuse the Russian and Chinese skaters of manufacturing injuries to avoid the competition and then make it sound like his being a better skater makes him more valuable.

Basically, regardless of what needed to be said and what didn't, he needed to have said it all better. This kid really should just keep his mouth shut or hire an editor or something.

Maybe a sit down session with Michelle Kwan would be good for him. Michelle waabbas always able to say the right things or appropriately phrase comments to the cameras and media that didn't offend anyone

KatEll

Rinkside
Sadly, you have to be liked to make big bucks from tours. Saying bad things about others, organizers and sponsors, etc. does not earn you invites to lucrative shows.

In the past, Chan has never appeared in CSOI. Whether that was his choice or the CSOI organizers, I don't know (although if he needed money as he has claimed, I think he wouldn't have turned down past opportunities). In either case, now he is being invited to tour with CSOI. According to at least one reviewer of the Halifax show, Chan and V/M were both well received by the audience. Perhaps the audience is composed mostly of casual fans, or maybe it works as with movie stars...it doesn't matter if they made a sex video etc., their popularity only seems to grow.

Nadia01

Final Flight
In the past, Chan has never appeared in CSOI. Whether that was his choice or the CSOI organizers, I don't know (although if he needed money as he has claimed, I think he wouldn't have turned down past opportunities). In either case, now he is being invited to tour with CSOI. According to at least one reviewer of the Halifax show, Chan and V/M were both well received by the audience. Perhaps the audience is composed mostly of casual fans, or maybe it works as with movie stars...it doesn't matter if they made a sex video etc., their popularity only seems to grow.

Isn't Halifax Canada? Why wouldn't casual Canadian fans not like Canadian skaters?

But is Chan going to be popular in Japan after calling Japanese organizers and competition "stupid"?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But is Chan going to be popular in Japan after calling Japanese organizers and competition "stupid"?

I doubt it, which is really foolish, because Japan is where the money is. Guys like Ilia Kulik are still earning pretty big bucks in Japan because they like him; Plushenko would only have to stand on the ice and wave and be set up for the rest of his life, the Japanese love him so much.