Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars! | Page 154 | Golden Skate

Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars!

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
Hi all! I am just the casual Sochi watcher, but couldn't 'quit' after the games. Have been lurking for a while and only just finished catching up with all your interesting posts. DWTS also new to me and the romance irresistable. Saw this today and more mystery, what else. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6HN2sE3_Ac&list=PLqroTrjsoHRWlFm4LPy6D5h9_rBRtiQSf&index=41

Welcome and thank you for bringing that over. I forget how funny Maks is. I do think there maybe some hope for M&M future development, but they are not dating.

buttermilk

On the Ice
The Extra interview was done about a week after the finale. Both of them said at that time that they "aren't dating", but hinted in several places (mostly Maks) that they might. Somebody in his camp told US Weekly, "They aren't dating YET". We'll see. They've both been traveling. But if they don't get together soon, I'm going to assume that the coyness was just to let the shippers down easy.

Maks might want to give a more definitive answer because he keeps being seen with JLo and every time it happens his fans lose their minds and lash out at him over social media to the point that he or Val need to tell them to back off.

tulosai

Record Breaker
The Extra interview was done about a week after the finale. Both of them said at that time that they "aren't dating", but hinted in several places (mostly Maks) that they might. Somebody in his camp told US Weekly, "They aren't dating YET". We'll see. They've both been traveling. But if they don't get together soon, I'm going to assume that the coyness was just to let the shippers down easy.

Maks might want to give a more definitive answer because he keeps being seen with JLo and every time it happens his fans lose their minds and lash out at him over social media to the point that he or Val need to tell them to back off.

I don't understand the backlash he is getting over Jlo. He and Meryl have, actually, been clear that they are not currently dating. People who refuse to accept that and want to 'read between the lines' can keep on doing so, but there is simply no basis in fact for them to be mad he's hanging out with Jlo. He is a grown man who is single and can do what he wants. Just because other people want him to date Meryl doesn't mean he is dating her or frankly that he wants to- or that she wants to date him. I was as into the showmance as anyone else, as this thread shows, but when confronted with explicit statements from MAKS AND MERYL THEMSELVES that say 'no, we are not dating' I do not feel that I have any choice to accept that this is currently the case, and I don't feel it's any of my business who Maks may or may not date/be seen with/whatever instead.

I don't understand what people mean when they say they want Maks to give a 'more definitive answer'. He and Meryl have both GIVEN a definitive answer, and it is no. Granted, it has been gently given, but it has been given explicitly all the same.

buttermilk

On the Ice
I don't understand what people mean when they say they want Maks to give a 'more definitive answer'. He and Meryl have both GIVEN a definitive answer, and it is no. Granted, it has been gently given, but it has been given explicitly all the same.
Well if you look at that Extra interview, he basically says they didn't date because they didn't want to mess up what they had while on the show. And then, unprompted, he brings up the idea of dating in the future and says that part is none of our business. It's that hinty second part that he always throws in that gives the shippers hope, and he's done it several times. Even Meryl went back to being coy and evasive with her answers in her most recent round of interviews.

I think a definitive answer would be something about how they are just friends and simply don't like each other that way - like how Meryl always answers the questions about Charlie. She's never been coy about that.

henna

Rinkside
I don't understand the backlash he is getting over Jlo. He and Meryl have, actually, been clear that they are not currently dating. People who refuse to accept that and want to 'read between the lines' can keep on doing so, but there is simply no basis in fact for them to be mad he's hanging out with Jlo. He is a grown man who is single and can do what he wants. Just because other people want him to date Meryl doesn't mean he is dating her or frankly that he wants to- or that she wants to date him. I was as into the showmance as anyone else, as this thread shows, but when confronted with explicit statements from MAKS AND MERYL THEMSELVES that say 'no, we are not dating' I do not feel that I have any choice to accept that this is currently the case, and I don't feel it's any of my business who Maks may or may not date/be seen with/whatever instead.

I don't think the backlash is necessarily only because of Meryl or whatever they have or don't have. I don't think hooking up with JLo especially right now put him in favourable light. She just broke up with a much much younger dancer, she is a serial divorcee, she has 2 kids and has a decade over Maks.
He has been saying for a while now that he can't wait to have a family of his own, kids, a backyard with dogs or something along those lines. And getting hooked up with JLo doesn't sound like working towards these goals...

slider11

Medalist
That's the problem....Maks wants the family and the dog in the back yard. I don't think Meryl is up for that yet. She has serious exploring to do. I hope they stay friends a long time and I actually think they might connect at some point in time. But right now Meryl needs to be the smart, sensuous woman she showed herself to be on DWTS.

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
Somewhat off topic but Meryl tweeted pictures of her and her brother Clayton hiking in the mountains. He is cute.

The more I read about things the more I think that Maks and Meryl are just friends off the dance floor and will never date. I don't know about J-Lo and Meryl doesn't seem to be mad or jealous of them.

buttermilk

On the Ice
Yeah, they're definitely not dating. Maks went on Access Hollywood today to respond to the JLo backlash and repeated "I love her" and "we'll always be friends" which is how you talk about an ex you have no intention of staying friends with, or a pal you were never interested in to begin with. Billy Bush felt outraged and betrayed. :laugh:

I think Maks is all defensive about JLo because he does want to get with her and he's angry that it will hurt his career. And I don't feel sorry for him. My respect plummets for anybody who is willing to pair up with JLo. Or even hang out with her.

buttermilk

On the Ice
Oooh, some really interesting background on why Billy Bush was so outraged at Maks from someone on tumblr:

Straight from my AH producer friend…this is how it works…

What is seen and believed dictates the story that is told. M and M basically went their separate ways after the show. There are no signs indicating that they are anything more than friends / DWTS partners. He said that he loved her but that doesn’t mean romantic love. He has never said that. He is, however, running behind Jlo and receiving lots of negative publicity for it. He wanted to “clear rumors” but his reasoning wasn’t to stop the Jlo rumors but to stop people from talking about it and sending him negative responses on facebook and twitter.

Based on their sources, including assurance from Meryl’s agents that while she will work with him professionally, she is definitely not even considering dating him any longer (off the record), this is where they went.

In other words, TPTB at AH believe Maks to be full of himself. As for what the two of them were viewing on his phone…their “sources” indicate that they were viewing negative tweets regarding the two of them.
Glad Meryl got out in time since it sounds like she was considering dating him and then something happened to change her mind. Not expecting great dance chemistry out of the two of them anymore.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
On the Access Hollywood website, there's three unedited videos of the interview, the part about Meryl ends with him, again saying unprompted, that if anything happens romantically it will happen off camera and that it's no one business. I'm not even a shipper, but at some point, if you want speculating to stop, you should probably stop bringing up dating possibilities completely unprompted.

centerpt1

On the Ice
It's in Max's best business interests to be seen as interested in Meryl. That's why he is not so specific in his answers.

I bet the Chemistry is dead if they do dance again.

Good thing Meryl is (romantically) free of him

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
This must be really hard on Meryl. She has always been a quiet, very private person. Now the paparazzi is following her on vacation and the media won't leave her or her reps alone. I like and respect her policy of keeping her private life private and in America she has a right to privacy. I do think that she will have to come out and make some kind of declarative statement and shut the door on Maks once and for all. It does no good for her career to be saddled with the rumors.

This is my take if the AH post above (by the friend of the producer) is accurate. Meryl, like most Olympic athletes, has a core of iron inner-strength. As such, she is not going to put up with being played (nor should she.) I think the reps trying to say any chance of romance is dead, comes from Meryl being frustrated that Maks is using her or playing her. He used her to win, and he's using her to stay in the press so that he can chase J-LO.

Meryl is beautiful and can have any guy she wants. Hopefully she is comfortable in her own skin to stay single until she finds the right guy. You don't need a guy to feel happy or fulfilled. She shouldn't have to settle for a guy that won't treat her right. I hope she finds somebody and is as happy in love as Charlie is, and I don't think Maks can be that guy. It will probably be somebody in the skating world.

lefeury

Rinkside
I believe that the chemistry will be there and very intense. I think that they will tap into that energy again. I've had music partners that have resulted in intensely fired up energetic chemistry. Whether they date or not, that energy will be there. It's hard to explain but I have experienced it as two people who have the power to trigger in each other a creative rush. It doesn't always result in romance because of the intensity of it. But if the partners can handle it with maturity they can become partners. This is why they have touched so many people with their dancing. It's magical.

slider11

Medalist
Well put, lefleury. Maks and Meryl's dancing relationship was off the charts. Mesmerizing. If it's just for the financial gain, maybe. But I could see a real something there between them. I think the defenses kick in - I don't want to get hurt, she's too young and tender, maybe he's a player....I think time will give them both a chance to see what they missed and see what they have.

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
It's in Max's best business interests to be seen as interested in Meryl. That's why he is not so specific in his answers.

I bet the Chemistry is dead if they do dance again.

Good thing Meryl is (romantically) free of him

Exactly - all of this is keeping Maks' name in the news. In that sense it is good for him. However, he is running a risk of doing too much when he says they are friends, but then says something about their personal lives being private or saying he loves her or whatever. To me he has already done too much. I think him and Lizzie could and should have handled this a lot better. It seems as soon as things die down or some people are starting to accept there isn't anything there, he makes a statement that starts to clarify but at the end leaves people thinking if there is a possibility. I truly believe he is following what the shippers and audience are saying about him and Meryl and knows that some read into every little detail - even with things he has not stated or tried to do to keep people guessing. So he should know making some of the comments he does is keeping people hanging on. I think he wants that, but then again he has complained about the shippers/people on social media as well. On one hand there are people who have stepped over the line for weeks telling him and Meryl what to do (like get married, go see each other when they are apart, etc) and I don't blame him for being annoyed with it. On the other hand, he is fanning the flames with the way he responds to questions. So if he doesn't want to just leave statements at them being just friends, then he has be able to deal with the fallout because he is courting the attention IMO. It does not bother me that him and Meryl are just friends at all - I've been mostly thinking that for weeks now (starting near the end of the show) and I think it's great. But is it bothersome to me with how he is keeping all of this speculation continuously going on. I don't care if he is dating J.Lo or not, but just the way he is handling things is making me like him a bit less as a person, and although I would like to see him and Meryl dance again, I have less of a wanting to see him now at the moment. And I'm sure that is the opposite effect that he and Lizzie want. They can keep them out there as possibly working together again and creating future magical dances without letting people think there is a romance there IMO.

I think it is good that Meryl is not saying anything at the moment because I don't think all of this is reflecting well on Maks. I think she will be OK going on and living her life without acknowledging Maks in the media unless absolutely necessary. It will probably be good for her to return to the skating world and her main partnership with Charlie (not that she left it, but I mean going back to it being the main partnership focus for her). And it looks like that is what is happening. Her and Charlie still have opportunities from winning the gold. It was nice to see a pic of them from that event they just did in their hometown. Also they are nominated for ESPY awards this year (Best Male Olympian and Best Female Olympian)! I'm very excited about it. I was hoping they would be nominated. Is The Ice show running through this time, though? The ESPYS are the 16 of July. I would love to see them go.

To vote for Meryl and Charlie for the ESPYS:http://espn.go.com/espys/2014/?voting=bestfemaleactionsportsathlete

buttermilk

On the Ice
Maks was making a mess in the media again today. He did an interview, and when asked about JLo, he changed the subject to Meryl and how close they are and how they talked every day when she was "away from me" on vacation. And I suspect they are no longer even on speaking terms, so the whole thing was extra phony.

And then outside, a TMZ reporter asked him about JLo. "How is it going? Is she the one?" And he responded, "It's going great." He is such bad news and I really, really hope Meryl has removed herself completely from his life.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I saw on one of those shows maks was linked with jlo again recently. Jlo dumped caspr nd I think maks will be next boy toy. This seems like. Much more likely pairing than Meryl. Meryl seems so innocent compared to women like Karina and jlo. Well if jlo wants maks even fora while she has a history of getting her guy. I think maks looks like he and jlo would not be long term but would hook up. So is there any photo at all of Meryl with someone like Fedor or any guy over the years? I likely missed that. The showmance surely served them well. I think his flirtation with jlo will be more organic. She reminds me of Karina in many ways.

Well, maks is one of the better looking guys jlo has had with exception of Ben affleck. I always thought jlo would stick with Marc Anthony if only due to the kids. Too bad.

caitie

Medalist
I seriously doubt there's drama going on between Meryl and Maks. They consistently said they aren't dating, so...

Anyway, I voted for Meryl and Charlie but what a bummer they'll be out of the country for The Ice during the awards. I think Meryl especially has a really good chance of winning, although IDK it might go to the snowboarders!