Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars! | Page 85 | Golden Skate

Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars!

tulosai

Record Breaker
In all total seriousness, if D/W retired and Meryl/Maks went on a dance tour right after this is over, I think they could make A LOT of money. Now of course Maks's emo twitter song choices make clear he does it for the love, but hey, you can have both love and money!

Also at this point he is flat out saying to a variety of media outlets that she is the best partner he has ever had. He has stopped using the qualifier 'on the show'.

...but that tiger comment, as cheesy as it may be, had warmed the cockles of my black heart.

:eek:: Me too!!! The whole interview was just - super cute! He obviously adores and admires her! I'd say that at this point if nothing is going on (which I'm more and more inclined to believe that some thing is), then it's because she doesn't want something to be going on. For a guy to act the way he does about her, it's usually not platonic on the guy's end.

EDIT: I have to say, I really enjoy watching the two of them and hearing interviews that they do. I fully believe that they seem to bring out the very best in one another. He makes her more out going and comfortable....and she calms him down and makes him seem more soft, etc. :) I'm glad that they have met one another and have the type of friendship that they do, as it seems to be stretching and growing both of them in positive ways.

buttermilk

On the Ice
For a guy to act the way he does about her, it's usually not platonic on the guy's end.
This is what I'm saying! I'm not a shipper, but those who insist on believing this must be a platonic relationship, I feel like it's naivete or just denial about how men and women interact.

slider11

Medalist
I honestly think there is no romance...yet. I think they agreed fairly early on that this was a business relationship - being great partners. Sure, friendship and fun are fine and we can pretend to be romancing (showmance) but we need to keep our eye on the ball -kind of like Meryl and Charlie do/did on ice. BUT....there is something there...and maybe all the more intriguing because they are waiting. The question is, once the music stops and the spotlights dim, will the intrigue still be there? Can't say for sure but they seem very compatible and attracted to one another. Time will tell! I'm a little concerned for both if it goes the next step. Meryl has clearly says she wants to pursue her education and continue, I think, with professional ice dance opportunities - can't imagine they'd go back to competitive. Any maybe the professional dancing arena is one that Meryl and Maks could pursue. But what would it be like if they really hooked up? Live in Michigan? Live in NYC? Get married and start a family? It's been mentioned that marriage and family is something Maks wants - but is Meryl ready for that? Probably not now. I could see them go their separate ways, remain friends and then in 3 or 4 years make the stronger connection. Makes a good sultry movie plot!

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
trocoloca, thanks to you and everyone else for posting the articles and videos (and pics of tiger ladies, too...).

From the icenet article:
"I'm a big, intimidating figure. I can only compare myself to a tiger in a zoo. ... Nobody in their right mind would ever want to pet a tiger. She's the type that walks right up and pats him on the head, and the tiger is so confused he has no idea what just happened. This is literally me."
'

This says it all. He's the big gruff, grumpy, impatient, self-described jerk who is used to getting a response of yelling and tears, which generally makes him madder before he calms down. And then this tiny woman comes in and says, "Just because a teddy bear is big, doesn't make him scary." And, "hold my hand". He's right, he's confused. He doesn't know what to make of her, but he knows he wants to be a better person for her, so while he shapes her dance, she's molding his character.

It happens - but not without mutual admiration. The best relationships involve two people who are better because of their partner. It's a beautiful thing.

Regardless of what this is, it's been so great to see Meryl blossom and come out of her shell, and it's been even greater to see how Maks has responded to her. Won't we all be sad and disappointed when this season ends?

tulosai

Record Breaker
Meryl has clearly says she wants to pursue her education and continue, I think, with professional ice dance opportunities - can't imagine they'd go back to competitive.

Meryl has said she wants to finish college ASAP but has made absolutely no statements about her future beyond that, regarding skating or regarding anything else. Neither she nor Charlie have explicitly indicated (or even implied) that they intend or want to continue pursuing skating opportunities of any kind (though I am sure I speak for many of us when I say I hope they will). To the contrary Charlie has discussed wanting to attend law school. Having been to law school, he's not going to have much time to be skating if he actually goes through with that plan.

As best I can make out though, they are both close to college graduation and only have one or potentially 2 semesters left assuming a full course load.

buttermilk

On the Ice
I think they agreed fairly early on that this was a business relationship - being great partners.
Of all the speculating we do, that's speculation that I see no basis for. We have no idea what their philosophies are on that, or reason to believe they set down any such terms with each other.

As for what happens next, if Maks is serious about making their "whatever" continue after the show, even if it's just friendship, I think he's going to have to be the one to put in the work to make that happen because the partner she trains with is in Michigan, and she probably couldn't transfer out of U Michigan at this point even if she wanted to. Maks has said he wouldn't live anywhere other than the NYC area...

To the contrary Charlie has discussed wanting to attend law school. Having been to law school, he's not going to have much time to be skating if he actually goes through with that plan.

As best I can make out though, they are both close to college graduation and only have one or potentially 2 semesters left assuming a full course load.
I think Charlie said he just became a junior prior to the Olympics, so if Meryl has been taking the same course load as him, they've both got two years full-time to go. And I think Meryl has been meandering around and double majoring, so she's probably not ahead of the game.

As for Charlie becoming a lawyer, I think that's just something he's been saying. I don't think that's any kind of firm goal. It seems like all of these skaters need to give some kind of answer of "real jobs" they intend to pursue after skating, when in fact I think most of them would prefer to hang around the skating world in some capacity and make their living that way, if possible.

Yes, doesn't Maks look like a guy who's been struck by lightning?

I had a whimsical thought the other day. Maks, Meryl, Sharna, Amy, and Charlie should all be invited to join Derek and Julianne's dance show this summer. Wouldn't that be grand?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Maks, dude, we all want you to keep dancing together! You don't need the goofy TV show. Put on some shows together! Go on tour! Make one of the Disson shows a "Ballroom Ice" show! I'll buy whatever you want to sell.

Their rhumba makes me realize that I'd like to see a dance-musical version of A Street Car Named Desire with Maks and Meryl in it!

tulosai

Record Breaker
:cry: Yes! What will there be to talk of then? No DWTS...no upcoming skating competitions...

Yes I will be forced to venture out into the forums and comment on things such as whether Nikita or Ruslan has the bigger muscles per pictures posted by sky_fly.

You'd be surprised though,the board does remain fairly active through summer and once the summer comps start those threads are very fun to follow!

caitie

Medalist
At least we know sky_fly would approve of Meryl and Maks's height difference.

And yeah, I enjoy the off-season chatter, especially as more and more details about skaters' new programs start leaking. I miss Dave and Jenny's This & That videos, btw. They did a good job of covering this time last year. Also his DWTS thoughts would probably be pretty hilarious.

Yes I will be forced to venture out into the forums and comment on things such as whether Nikita or Ruslan has the bigger muscles per pictures posted by sky_fly.

You'd be surprised though,the board does remain fairly active through summer and once the summer comps start those threads are very fun to follow!

I'm glad to hear that!! :) I feel like hopefully this summer will be interesting too with the way things shake out amongst all of the splits... Maybe we'll start hearing of new pairings sooner rather than later. *crosses fingers*

And LMFAO - Yes commenting on muscles, height differences, the different ladies' looks, .... - If it's shallow, you can bet it will be discussed over and over and over by certain people! ;) And I try not to comment...but some days are just ugh days and get the best of me...sadly.

OK, here's what I wrote to Steve Disson:

Subject: Ballroom on Ice

Dear Mr. Disson,

Here is great idea for your next ice skating show. Meryl Davis and her
dancing partner Maksim Chmerkovski are on fire on Dancing With the Stars,
and Charlie White is no slouch on the show, too. Plus, dancer-choreographer
Mark Ballas has been involved in ice dancing choreography. A show combining
ice skating with ballroom dancing would be very cool. (Hosted by DWTS
ex-champ Kristi Yamaguchi.)

Sincerely yours,

Here is what Mr. Disson wrote back:

Thanks and stay tuned. We are a step ahead of you here!

Steve