Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars! | Page 86 | Golden Skate

Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Mathman - You're awesome!!!!! :clap:

And that is seriously sooooo cool!!!! :yay: I'm excited to see what he does have up his sleeve...

That is super cool! You also forgot to mention Derek Hough, who has helped Meryl and Charlie, and Corky Ballas (Mark's father) who has helped the Shibs!

tulosai

Record Breaker
please I beg you someone tell me IMMEDIATELY if something is announced. I will immediately buy all the tickets NO MATTER WHERE IT IS.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It should be a natural for Disson! For once, the skatefans won't mind so much when the TV cuts away from the skaters, since many of us are big fans of the DWTS pros too ( not to mention SYTYCD stars.)

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Wow, thanks for posting (and sending that email) Mathman! I was thinking in my own mind that it would be so cool if Meryl and Charlie were to have their own (one off) ice show and not only have some of their skating friends/teammates on, but have ballroom dances with Maks and Sharna, too. It coming together on a bigger scale with a wider selection of skaters and ballroom pros would be awesome, too! Win-win for both the figure skating world and ballroom world. Some of the DWTS faithful audience might start embracing figure skating and it could create even more opportunities for the pro ballroom dancers for choreography work!

I'm so excited about it. And I haven't been super excited for the Disson shows lately. I hope whatever they are working on ends up being great.

And to think I wasn't even going to watch DWTS this season. I just got curious on how Charlie and Meryl were doing after seeing them in Stars on Ice. I've been obsessed with them on the show ever since.

I think Charlie said he just became a junior prior to the Olympics, so if Meryl has been taking the same course load as him, they've both got two years full-time to go. And I think Meryl has been meandering around and double majoring, so she's probably not ahead of the game.

I can't remember where I read or got this information from, but I think I read in an article or heard in an interview that Meryl is a senior.

I honestly think there is no romance...yet. I think they agreed fairly early on that this was a business relationship - being great partners. Sure, friendship and fun are fine and we can pretend to be romancing (showmance) but we need to keep our eye on the ball -kind of like Meryl and Charlie do/did on ice. BUT....there is something there...and maybe all the more intriguing because they are waiting. The question is, once the music stops and the spotlights dim, will the intrigue still be there? Can't say for sure but they seem very compatible and attracted to one another. Time will tell!

That is currently where I am at with my guessing on what's happening with Meryl and Maks. After observing their interactions and reading and listening what people (people working on the show, media, and fans) have to say, I think there is definitely a great chemistry between them, but I don't think it has been acted on beyond them becoming good friends and enjoying hanging out with each other in what little free time they have. I do think Maks really admires and respects her greatly. I think the way he sees her (based on his comments about her) is the way a man should view a woman he would want to seriously date. And yes, they have been flirty with each other, sometimes in a joking way, but I don't really like to consider what is going on a showmance because I think it appears they genuinely like and care for each other. It's not like they've said they are dating but they actually aren't. People are seeing and sensing things about them on their own and they just aren't confirming or denying. I think it would be great after the show, if they are both single, to try things out, but I also think it would be really great for them to stay in each others lives as really good friends. Sometimes you can have great chemistry with someone and it doesn't move beyond a close friendship. But it will be interesting to see what happens after the show is done and time has passed on.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
OK, here's what I wrote to Steve Disson:

Here is what Mr. Disson wrote back:

That was brilliant of you, Mathman!!! :bow::clap:

Oh, we know you thought of it first - he just loves the idea and is going to pretend it was his. :p

I wonder what they're planning.

Clutch the pearls, maybe it's a wedding on ice.

caitie

Medalist
I can't remember where I read or got this information from, but I think I read in an article or heard in an interview that Meryl is a senior.

The New York Post reported that Charlie is a junior and Meryl is a senior in an interview/article about Meryl and Charlie published around the time of the DWTS season premiere. They also reported that Meryl was single. At the time I thought it was a mistake, but now IDK.

ETA: Here it is: Gold medalists pumped to trade ice skates for dancing shoes

For years, these two have been chipping away at college degrees at the University of Michigan. Davis, a senior, is studying cultural anthropology and Italian. White, a junior, is majoring in political science.

tulosai

Record Breaker
The New York Post reported that Charlie is a junior and Meryl is a senior in an interview/article about Meryl and Charlie published around the time of the DWTS season premiere. They also reported that Meryl was single. At the time I thought it was a mistake, but now IDK.

Yeah nooo clue obviously if something is in fact up with her and Maks, but I've said several times I really just don't believe she is dating someone now given everything, and this article IS after the last public statement she made that she was in a relationship. That said, the Post is not THE most reputable paper out there ever, but the article as a whole reads as extremely credible to me.

Also, while she of course never confirmed it was Fedor she was dating, if one assumes for the sake of argument that it was/is him, I think it's super odd that he has never been to see the show. I find it highly unlikely they would not show him if they did, since in all probability he'd be sitting with the ever-present skating contingent or at least in the front since his GF would have gotten him a front row ticket. He hasn't been there.

I am really pretty sure she is a senior. I definitely read somewhere else that she only had a semester or two to go... I don't remember now where but will also try to find it. She said something along the lines that she was so relieved to almost be done since she'd been working really hard and had hoped to have graduated by now. I don't know why the disparity between where she is and where Charlie is but I do also know she was more involved in on campus stuff than him in their first years there and maybe that impacted it- for example, to be active in my sorority you had to be talking at least 6 or 8? credits (2 classes) and while I don't know if all sororities work like that, I think many do and we all know she was in one.

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Thanks! I don't know how I remembered the detail about Meryl being a senior but not the detail about her being single from this article when I keep wondering about her current dating status. I'd think I would have remembered that. Maybe I just wasn't sure what to think? I mean, another article tried to imply she was with Jeremy Abbott!

Yeah nooo clue obviously if something is in fact up with her and Maks, but I've said several times I really just don't believe she is dating someone now given everything, and this article IS after the last public statement she made that she was in a relationship. That said, the Post is not THE most reputable paper out there ever, but the article as a whole reads as extremely credible to me.

I agree, NYP is not the most credible. I still don't feel there is a definite answer about if she's single or not. I've heard different people citing that she is single and that she has a boyfriend. So I don't know. As long as she clearly knows and has things worked out, that's all that really matters, lol.

Oh, and thank you buttermilk for your suggestion that spurred Mathman to email Disson!

Enigma256

Rinkside
Don't forget Meryl and Charlie are attached to headline four ABC skating specials this fall and next winter. Perhaps Disson was referring to this deal already in place. ABC has an interest in featuring them on DWTS to set up these events later this year.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/05/abc-figure-skating-dancing-with-the-stars/

Four Disson shows on TV? Either ABC just snatched the Disson contract away from NBC and this is just the usual yearly Disson stuff, except on a new network, or they are feeling super-super-generous and are doing these four shows in addition to the usual bunch. I'm assuming the former for now...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Don't forget Meryl and Charlie are attached to headline four ABC skating specials this fall and next winter. Perhaps Disson was referring to this deal already in place. ABC has an interest in featuring them on DWTS to set up these events later this year.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/05/abc-figure-skating-dancing-with-the-stars/

This is like the Michelle Kwan era all over again but on a smaller scale.

I'm predicting a lot of cheesiness in the shows, but at least Meryl and Charlie are rightfully getting the recognition they deserve in the States.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Charlie started college a year later than Meryl. That year would be early in their career, when their skating schedule was a bit less intense, so it's not surprising that she is at least one semester ahead of him.

Meryl was born 1 January 1987. Charlie's birthday is 24 October 1987. It looks like he started school a year later than she did.

Last edited: