Ekaterina Kurakova | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Kurakova

DenissVFan

Medalist
I mean, you'd assume so, otherwise they'd presumably have just sent her to IdF.
I'm not so sure. People said that Zhenya couldn't return to Canada but Katia can? Is their status different? I don't know. I only know that she's currently in Poland and hasn't been in Canada since March.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm not so sure. People said that Zhenya couldn't return to Canada but Katia can? Is their status different? I don't know. I only know that she's currently in Poland and hasn't been in Canada since March.
I don't know what her immigration status is, but it's a plain fact, these assignments weren't made at random. If she's assigned to SCI, she, her coaches, Skate Canada and the Polish federation would have to have reason to believe she could attend.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I don't know what her immigration status is, but it's a plain fact, these assignments weren't made at random. If she's assigned to SCI, she, her coaches, Skate Canada and the Polish federation would have to have reason to believe she could attend.
The Polish fed has just said that she's planning to compete in the Warsaw Cup (12-15.11.2020) and that they won't comment on the GP assignments because the situation is uncertain.

McTwisp

Rinkside
Livestream for the Soły Cup can be found here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQchUc8V9uc

The Polish senior ladies SP is scheduled for 17:25 - 18:00 local time with Katia skating 5th out of 5 ladies. Warsaw time is 6 hrs ahead of Toronto time (EST) so 11:30am - noon on Friday for Katia's TCC team to tune in.

The ladies free free skate is scheduled for 17:20 - 18:00 local time on Oct 3rd.

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't know if she can get to Canada or not, but the issue with Zhenya wasn't just that she couldn't get to Canada. She had to do test skates and then two Russian Cup events in Russia, since the Russian Cup is the only Nationals qualifier this year. So even if she could make it back, the 2nd stage of the Cup is mid-October (10-13), then she would have to do a 14 day quarantine which would end right about when SC would start at the end of October (30-31), then go back to Russia for Nationals in December. Which obviously wouldn't work. So I don't know that her situation tells us much about Katia.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I don't know if she can get to Canada or not, but the issue with Zhenya wasn't just that she couldn't get to Canada. She had to do test skates and then two Russian Cup events in Russia, since the Russian Cup is the only Nationals qualifier this year. So even if she could make it back, the 2nd stage of the Cup is mid-October (10-13), then she would have to do a 14 day quarantine which would end right about when SC would start at the end of October (30-31), then go back to Russia for Nationals in December. Which obviously wouldn't work. So I don't know that her situation tells us much about Katia.
Canadian borders are still closed for non-essential foreign travellers. It has been extended until October 31st as of today. Skaters are not essential workers. Katia won't be able to enter. She could risk it and try to fly to Canada and if she is very lucky maybe she would get through on her first try, if not she would have to fly back to Poland, Jason was lucky because he could travel to the US/Canadian boarder by car and could sleep in a hotel after he was rejected at his first attempt and therefore could attempt to pass the border several times until he was allowed to pass through. non-US travelers who have to travel by plane cannot do the same. Another issue is that young skaters are usually travelling and living with their parents, the skaters may be able to pass through the borders at some point since they are there for work, however, their parents would not be allowed to pass through unless the skater is a minor. Furthermore, Canada has announced that there will be more restrictions soon due to the rising number of cases, so the option that the border would turn a blind eye and let Katia through at the airport despite their travel restrictions is very unlikely. Even Vincent Zhou, a US skater, had to go back to his old coach in the US and had to leave his Canadian coach due the travel restrictions.

Last edited:

Magill

Record Breaker
Livestream for the Soły Cup can be found here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQchUc8V9uc

The Polish senior ladies SP is scheduled for 17:25 - 18:00 local time with Katia skating 5th out of 5 ladies. Warsaw time is 6 hrs ahead of Toronto time (EST) so 11:30am - noon on Friday for Katia's TCC team to tune in.

The ladies free free skate is scheduled for 17:20 - 18:00 local time on Oct 3rd.
Thank you!

DenissVFan

Medalist
If she can't go to Canada, will she try to get IDF or Rostelecomm?
IdF overlaps with the Warsaw Cup, where she’s planning to compete (I imagine the Polish fed would like her to headline the event). Still, IdF seems more likely than CoR. The remaining spots at CoR are marked as “TBA RUS”. Too bad she wasn’t assigned to IdF to begin with since she’s been in Europe for many months now. It’d be a pity if she was left with nothing with her +200 SB (of course I’m aware of the situation of the Korean skaters – she wouldn’t be the only one).

DenissVFan

Medalist
Katia scored 59.30 points in the SP (some issues with the 3-3). She skated her last season's SP.

McTwisp

Rinkside
Livestream for the Soły Cup - Day 2...

https://youtu.be/mdbIRaQ0TVw

The Polish senior ladies free skate is scheduled for 17:20 - 18:00 local time with Katia skating 4th out of 4 ladies. Warsaw time is 6 hrs ahead of Toronto time (EST) so 11:20am - noon on Saturday for Katia's TCC team to tune in.

Just a wee bit of fog in the ice rink... must be muggy outside. It is kind of funny they have to turn on the vent blowers in the arena between flights so we can see the skaters. It adds a new way for skaters to obscure their jump edges from the judges in "Lutz Corner".

Hopefully Katia is ready to present her Benoit choreographed free skate. I guess there are some issues to sort out with the David Wilson's choreographed SP via Zoom and she just reverted to last years short.

Hoping Polish media can get an interview with Katia.

Magill

Record Breaker
Livestream for the Soły Cup - Day 2...

https://youtu.be/mdbIRaQ0TVw

The Polish senior ladies free skate is scheduled for 17:20 - 18:00 local time with Katia skating 4th out of 4 ladies. Warsaw time is 6 hrs ahead of Toronto time (EST) so 11:20am - noon on Saturday for Katia's TCC team to tune in.

Just a wee bit of fog in the ice rink... must be muggy outside. It is kind of funny they have to turn on the vent blowers in the arena between flights so we can see the skaters. It adds a new way for skaters to obscure their jump edges from the judges in "Lutz Corner".

Hopefully Katia is ready to present her Benoit choreographed free skate. I guess there are some issues to sort out with the David Wilson's choreographed SP via Zoom and she just reverted to last years short.

Hoping Polish media can get an interview with Katia.
Thank you once again!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
:thank: It’s beautiful.. that song always makes me cry tho...