Country
United-States
Congrats, ChriRo!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
CnCM9xUWEAAqJAj.jpg:large
[/FONT]

LRK

Record Breaker
I can't believe it! Portugal won! Congratulations!!!

I can - I predicted it!

What? (injured tone) So it was a random hunch that turned out to be true (and let's not mention any random hunches that came to nothing) - but I'm jolly well going to save something from this... affair.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Cristiano is having a really good year compared to Messi eh?

Congrats to Portugal, they deserved the win. Griezmann became invisible as the game went on and I didn't see that great French attack that they had the beginning.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Cristiano is having a really good year compared to Messi eh?

Congrats to Portugal, they deserved the win. Griezmann became invisible as the game went on and I didn't see that great French attack that they had the beginning.

France had bad tactic.

I can - I predicted it!

What? (injured tone) So it was a random hunch that turned out to be true (and let's not mention any random hunches that came to nothing) - but I'm jolly well going to save something from this... affair.

I thought France will win. The French team was a better team.

Idontsk8

On the Ice
I am Portuguese and I have been lurking in this thread to see what you guys think of the tournament and I honestly didn't believe we would win, everything less than a massacre would be good. But after Ronaldo got injured and Éder went in (he's a messy striker and mocked by everyone, we call him a cone =p) I saw all the drama going in and how beautiful it would be to win with Éder scoring. I said this to my friends and it happened. As they now say, the ugly duckling became a swan today! =D I was at a fanzone and the emotion when we all saw the goal was massive! :love: the streets in Lisbon are crazy today! nobody sleeps haha

Just don't agree with Pepe being MOTM. Rui Patrício, our goalkeeper, was paramount! I can't believe how he didn't win after so many fantastic saves that we all thought was the end of Portugal's hopes but oh well.

LRK

Record Breaker
Idontsk8 - Congratulations! I'm happy that you are happy.:)

Portugal weren't my favourite team, mainly because of how they played - I've enjoyed earlier Portugal teams more, in the time of Luis Figo, for example:) - but no question they won fair & square. Portugal scored - and France did not. That's football.:)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I felt like I was pulling for France for whatever reason but when Portugal won I was all about their celebration. They really seemed like they wanted it and just because they were a defense first team...I don't find it any less exciting. Congrats guys! That goalie was pure inspiration!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I just read that Ronaldo's knee injury isn't very bad - it's "only" a pulled ligament. So he should be fit next season.
I liked the image of Portugal fighting for him yesterday, it really felt as if they were doing it for him. And this whole tournament was all about the teams and so the winner is fitting. Podolski wrote that the better team lost when Germany played against France and that also the better team lost when Portugal played against France. We know what he wanted to say and I disagree. The team consisting of the best individual players lost, but the best team won in the end. And maybe Portugal was better last night with Ronaldo cheering for them. And Pepe puking summed it up, they were absolutely giving everything they had.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Idontsk8 - Congratulations! I'm happy that you are happy.:)

Portugal weren't my favourite team, mainly because of how they played - I've enjoyed earlier Portugal teams more, in the time of Luis Figo, for example:) - but no question they won fair & square. Portugal scored - and France did not. That's football.:)

I was crazy about Figo!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I was crazy about Figo!
And Deco and Rui Costa!
And in 2004 they lost the final and Greece won. That was also about effectiveness and I'd say that Portugal's play now is a beauty compared to what Greece did in 2004.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
And Deco and Rui Costa!
And in 2004 they lost the final and Greece won. That was also about effectiveness and I'd say that Portugal's play now is a beauty compared to what Greece did in 2004.

I agree! And Nuno Gomes!

Portugal was very unlucky! And needs luck to victory very often!

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
It is just impossible not to have tears of joy in your eyes when you see Cristiano's expression when the final whistle was blown :') 12 years of waiting, belief and perseverance finally paid off! Parabens Portugal!!!

Idontsk8

On the Ice
Yes I agree that the Euro2004 team we had as a whole was way better with what we call the Golden Era of Portuguese players, but I think Portugal doesn't deal well with pressure of being favorites. In Euro 2004 it was here in Portugal, lots of dramatic matches against the best european teams that we won and then in the final we were massive favorites and we all know how it went. I must be kind of a psychic for these things because I remember in 2004 having said before the Greece free kick that they would score there and they did.

I didn't like the way the team played throughout the championship but in the end it played to our advantage. The expectations this time were much lower and we were clearly underdogs this time, France thought they had this in the bag and were already parading their "Champions D'Europe" bus in Paris so karma hit back :biggrin: this time France was very unlucky, they could easily be winning the match in the regular time but that's life and today it's a huge victory for us! :hap10:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Well I was rooting for Portugal and man was that match an emotional rollercoaster. :laugh:

On a sidenote, I don't know if any of you have seen the important parts from yesterday's game with added Titanic soundtrack, but I for one saw these in the morning and have wondered ever since why Lena Radionova's FP is stuck in my head. :laugh:

LRK

Record Breaker
And Deco and Rui Costa!

Oh, my goodness yes!

@Indontsk8 - Complacency is a bad thing, always. Underestimating the opposition is a huge mistake - and while Portugal may not be the same team as in its glory days, it's still a team, and they really fought for it. They knew they would have to work harder after Ronaldo had to go off - and they did; I'm sure they did it for him, too.

Idontsk8

On the Ice
Oh, my goodness yes!

@Indontsk8 - Complacency is a bad thing, always. Underestimating the opposition is a huge mistake - and while Portugal may not be the same team as in its glory days, it's still a team, and they really fought for it. They knew they would have to work harder after Ronaldo had to go off - and they did; I'm sure they did it for him, too.

Yes, and Ronaldo motivated them a lot like a true coach, there's speculation now he might follow that route. He even told Eder he believed it would be him to score the winning goal. Just came home from the celebration with the players in Lisbon, they stayed for about 10 minutes in the venue after a long parade across Lisbon but still impressive to see this moment (and that huge cup) live.