French Masters 2016, 6-8 Oct. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

French Masters 2016, 6-8 Oct.

CAS

On the Ice
Maybe if other teams spend less time on the Blues is because that's the CD the most difficult part right? Isn't that the part where we're supposed to be able to tell the best from the rest?

I´m not making the connection you seem to be making. All teams must skate the pattern and the partial step in the blues section so we can judge them all on those elements within this rhythm. The steps must be skated in the other rhythm. That leaves lift and twizzles and I will go out on a limb here and guess that it's maybe less taxing physically to perform these elements in the slower rhythm then it would be in the faster rhythm (less energy exerted so legs are fresher).

But really I just would like to see an equal distribution between the rhythms, I just prefer the balance. When a majority of the time is spent on one rhythm it just gives the impression the other rhythm was tacked on to fulfill the requirements.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I think Gabi really shines in the straight line StSq I really love the lindy hop for them

No, with all due respect no. Pechalat and Bourzat did a fabulous take on the Lindy Hop for their 2009 OD. But then again lets hope that the quality of the YT video is just not the best, but IMHO this SD does work with their strengths as a couple.

hvr1000

Spectator
Am neither a fan or supporter but from a neutral standing - strategically it is wise for P&C to have a longer Blues and take advantage of their wonderful fluid lines, flow and leg line. The musicality seems perfect for them in both blues and swing. There is nothing in the rules to say it should be equally distributed and the judges should not pay attention to that. The cam recording is bad but it does appear they are hitting the elements (need a close up though). All programmes will develop as the season progresses. V&M need more content speed and flow and need to get away from having similar elements to P&C last year which has been noted. Not a fault of either couple but really for the coaches to re-evaluate. Having a TC from Canada a ref from Canada and two judges on the panel from Canada (the NZL judge is canadian) seemed to exaggerate V&M's marks in Montreal recently. Skate Canada will be another interesting event. P&C need to refine their Twz section and close a bit of the gap in the MB CD sq.
Piper and Paul have so far probably the most polished programmes so early in the season so need to take advantage of that and build on it. C&B entered too many events too early in the season. They have solid and strong programmes - the FD in particular has a lot of content which needs a bit of polish and equality distributed - for the "open minded" judge it should be fresh, different, appealing and exciting.
The Italians sadly should not be featuring in the mix. They are really not in the same level as others we have so far seen. When we still await S&S, W&P, the Britts and others it might be a mis-leading start to their season. Lets hope things level out sensibly and fairly.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
To have such score they should get level 4s for all the elements, +3 GOE mostly and a lot of 10 for their Components :) Just saying.

As for SD, so many people made different assumptions after that low quality mess? I don't see anything bad yet, honestly. At least it's kinda different from their last 3 dances (which I found personally really similar). And the elements are there too.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Well, I'm still waiting for results page being updated with scores and protocols...

Snow63

Record Breaker
Well, I'm still waiting for results page being updated with scores and protocols...

Maximum possible SD score this season:

TES - 45.3 points (level 4s and +3 GOE for all the elements);
PCS - 40 points (all 10s for all the components).
--------------------
TOTAL - 85.3 points.

If Papadakis/Cizeron got 84+ they almost hit the roof with their heads :biggrin:

Rocket number 9 take off to the planet... :dev2:

Alextim

Rinkside
They are true dancers ! Top class !

It's interesting to know the highest score possible ! Thanks ! And for the Free dance ?

CAS

On the Ice
To have such score they should get level 4s for all the elements, +3 GOE mostly and a lot of 10 for their Components :) Just saying.

As for SD, so many people made different assumptions after that low quality mess? I don't see anything bad yet, honestly. At least it's kinda different from their last 3 dances (which I found personally really similar). And the elements are there too.

I don't think the quality of the video changes the ratio of blues vs swing which was my disappointment with it. I just expected something more considering the buildup.

Snow63

Record Breaker
They are true dancers ! Top class !

It's interesting to know the highest score possible ! Thanks ! And for the Free dance ?

Maximum possible Seniors FD score this season:

TES - 64.1 points (level 4s and +3 GOE for all the elements);
PCS - 60 points (all 10s for all the components).
--------------------
TOTAL - 124.1 points (which is 2.8 points higher than last season).

I don't think the quality of the video changes the ratio of blues vs swing which was my disappointment with it. I just expected something more considering the buildup.

It doesn't change the ratio, that's true, but IMO it does change perception of quality of both parts. And that's what I was aiming at with my previous post. :)

Edit: and the protocols are up: http://www.csndg.org/resultats/Masters2016/SeniorsDanse_SD_Scores.pdf

:dbana: at their GOE.

Last edited:

rosy14

Final Flight
Am neither a fan or supporter but from a neutral standing - strategically it is wise for P&C to have a longer Blues and take advantage of their wonderful fluid lines, flow and leg line. The musicality seems perfect for them in both blues and swing. There is nothing in the rules to say it should be equally distributed and the judges should not pay attention to that. The cam recording is bad but it does appear they are hitting the elements (need a close up though). All programmes will develop as the season progresses. V&M need more content speed and flow and need to get away from having similar elements to P&C last year which has been noted. Not a fault of either couple but really for the coaches to re-evaluate. Having a TC from Canada a ref from Canada and two judges on the panel from Canada (the NZL judge is canadian) seemed to exaggerate V&M's marks in Montreal recently. Skate Canada will be another interesting event. P&C need to refine their Twz section and close a bit of the gap in the MB CD sq.
Piper and Paul have so far probably the most polished programmes so early in the season so need to take advantage of that and build on it. C&B entered too many events too early in the season. They have solid and strong programmes - the FD in particular has a lot of content which needs a bit of polish and equality distributed - for the "open minded" judge it should be fresh, different, appealing and exciting.
The Italians sadly should not be featuring in the mix. They are really not in the same level as others we have so far seen. When we still await S&S, W&P, the Britts and others it might be a mis-leading start to their season. Lets hope things level out sensibly and fairly.
I don't think the Italians are out. As a matter of fact they pleased thw judges and won, while C/B din't please them twice in a row. The BRits are sadly out and we don't know when they return.
However IMO ice dancing is the most politically determined of the four specialties ( politically both in the strict meaning of the word and in relation with the different power of Nations, Federations, men of various federations, etc), so, if they decide in October- November, as 2 years ago, or January, as last year, who will win Worlds, all our discussions on blues, patterns, originality, twizzles, etc.etc, are useless and meaningless.
By the way great SD by Stepanova/Bukin, fresh and original.

rosy14

Final Flight
So they hit MAX TES mark possible? Interesting...
Well the competion is not a real competion: they are in France, no other couples of their level invited, no international judges. If V/M score were inflated in an international ISU event in Canada, go figure those of P/C at home in a national "competition".
I think we must wait up to NHK Trophy to see if they are "the anointed ones" this year too.

CAS

On the Ice
I think they will win NHK and that is without even seeing their FD. Not because I think they are in a class of their own but just because I don't think the status quo will change that early.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I don't see how scoring so high everything will make good for Gabi & Guillame. Is it some stupid way for showing that they can scor them higher than any other team this season or what? Their overall is 205 pints which is 50 points (!) more than next Lauriault/Le Gac. A little ridiculous....

On the bright side (for me) Laurine has won! :hap10: Even though she has lost many points, even on spins...

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
I don't see how scoring so high everything will make good for Gabi & Guillame. Is it some stupid way for showing that they can scor them higher than any other team this season or what? Their overall is 205 pints which is 50 points (!) more than next Lauriault/Le Gac. A little ridiculous....

On the bright side (for me) Laurine has won! :hap10: Even though she has lost many points, even on spins...

It IS stupid, indeed. It's like their local judges tell them 'You're PERFECT already, you don't need no training anymore, you have nothing to improve!' Ridiculous. I think from all the top Federations the French Fed is the only one who does that, I mean everyone's local scores are inflated, but no one gives them perfect scores like candies for their first skate of the season.

P.S. Anyone have a link for their FD? :biggrin:

Last edited: