Good Morning America-should Kwan Get Bye | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Good Morning America-should Kwan Get Bye

cianni

On the Ice
Well Thanks for letting me know

I guess we are being told a flawed Sasha is the best in the World. Now who can better that. I guess non clean programs are now the standard for Gold. The ISU needs to let the skaters know so they can adjust their programs accordingly.

nubka

Final Flight
Mathman said:
A Michelle Kwan performance is like a box of chocolates. Each little movement is sweeter than the last. :)

But a box of chocolates has so much more variety !!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Variety is over rated give me one perfect Kwan, I mean white chocolate truffle anytime.

76olympics

On the Ice
I think the decision to grant the bye was understandable. Sasha,of course, has the gold medal and is a lock to go. The other girls are still rather young and unfinished to me. Of course, recent history seems to indicate that a teenager will win the Olympics (LOL!)--but I don't think any performance but Sasha's was enough to outweight Michelle's considerable skills and clout.

I don't know if Michelle will be able to rehabilitate enough to compete or compete at her best level if she does. But-I don't think she is robbing anyone of a spot. The young crowd will be there and more seasoned IMHO in 2010. It would not have been a tragedy if Michelle didn't go and I think she will be fine if she doesn't medal; I think her accomplishments are incredible as they stand. I just hope that she is well enough to put in a worthy performance.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Well, I would assume that one can recover from a toe injury relatively quickly. But a groin injury- and her hip injury- COMPOUNDED- is much worse than what she faced in 98.

Personally speaking, I have had fractured toes twice and they are not necessarily a quick recovery. I couldn't wear a regular shoe, must less a skating boot, for over a month. It hurt everytime I took a step............42

kyla2

Final Flight
ITA Show 42

ITA it is one tough haul for her to be able to compete at a truly high level. I wish her luck but this is going to be tough. But having said that, if anyone can do it, Michelle can. I really think just having Michelle as a competitor raises the overall level at any competition. People turn up their game so to speak.

R.D.

Record Breaker
show 42 said:
Personally speaking, I have had fractured toes twice and they are not necessarily a quick recovery. I couldn't wear a regular shoe, must less a skating boot, for over a month. It hurt everytime I took a step............42

I was speaking in relative terms. But I stand corrected if wrong- I've never had anything broken, so...

Vash01

Medalist
bluecatskater said:
I saw a little of this, got in on it late, but Christine Brennen and Tara Lipinski both were in favor of Michelle getting to go to Olympics because she is 9 time US Champ and 4 time World Champ, and is the only one other than Sasha to have Olympic and World experience. They did make the point several times that at age 25 this would be Michelle's last chance for the Olympics and also that she has made it clear that if she is chosen and is not 100% that she would take herself out.
They brought up Nancy Kerrigan and her situation in 1994. She was allowed to go to Olympics without competing at Nationals and who was the skater left out because of it? Michelle Kwan.
That's what I remember.
Cathy

Michelle is a 5-time world champ (not 4).

Todd Eldredge was allowed to go to the 92 Olys after withdrawing from nationals. I don't see why there should even be a debate about Michelle going to the Olys. There have been two precedents already.

Vash

millie

Medalist
Hey Guys, at this point, we should all forget about what happened in the past, and concentrate on the future. Lets hope that they all do well at the Olympics and skate their best. May the best woman win, whoever it may be--Kwan, Cohen, Meissner, Rochette, or Irina etc. Good luck to them all.:clap: :clap: :clap:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
millie said:
Hey Guys, at this point, we should all forget about what happened in the past, and concentrate on the future. Lets hope that they all do well at the Olympics and skate their best. May the best woman win, whoever it may be--Kwan, Cohen, Meissner, Rochette, or Irina etc. Good luck to them all.:clap: :clap: :clap:

ITA!!! (Although, I still think it would be fun if the OGM went to someone completely unexpected -- like Susanna Pokio, for example)

My feelings about Kwan and the Olympics is that she is going to have her Short and Long approved by the Committee. This was her doing - not the Committee.

Kwan has always been a class act and if the Committee does not approve of the test skates, she will withdraw. She may even withdraw because she personally does not think she is up to it. She's been injured for some time now and it has taken a toll on her practices all year.

If she does not think she can give her best, she will withdraw even if the Committee gives her the ok. She's that kind of lady.

Joe

cianni

On the Ice
Micehlle is a Lady

Joesitz, I dont think Michelle would have gone this far if she wasnt fit, she has said she knows her body and its talking to her. Im sure if her programs were so weak that the commitee would turn her down she would have just withdrawn. Im sure she is getting feedback that is reliable from judges and callers that if she wasnt up to par levels they would have told her. Michelle isnt stupid nor does she lack integrity. The programs are up to par or she wouldnt be pursuing this. Lets give the girl some credit. She probably wont be any worse then the other flawed programs out there, stay on your feet and it doesnt matter what you do or how well you can still win. No one has seen her skate but already she is withdrawing, not up to par, cant win no matter what and it goes on. Lets just wait and see. I trust her judgement and want her to succeed if she withdraws I will be disappointed. With or without Michelle I trhink the judges will cheat UNLESS they are forced to give the Gold to the rightful winner as SLC. Wish I could be more trusting But I dont trust COP any more then 6.0 as an honest system of judging. I no longer pretend I dont see the elephant in the living room.

Cianni - It is Michelle's integrity that I am talking about. The sumission for the teams are required by the OIC by 30 January (I think). If Michelle does not think she is up to it, she will withdraw. If she thinks she is up-to-it, she will skate the Olys. I'm just looking at this realisticly. By 31 January, we will know more!

Joe

cianni

On the Ice
Joesitz

Joesitz, I understood what you were saying my point is I dont think she would have pursued this if she wasnt up to par. I said long ago that Michelle has the means to have those she needs to give her the feedback she needs. Im just saying if she wasnt up to par she wouldnt have asked for a bye. She sounds like she knows what shes up against and I give her credit for her attitude and belief in herself, boy she sure cant have in this system or these judges. Can any skater do 5/6 Bielmans in every program and not win, that will be hard to beat. Lets just wait and see and hope she remains injury free.

ok, Cianni - You are of the opinion that Michelle will skate the Olys regardless of any other consideration. That is one option. I am not against that.

Joe

nubka

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Nubka, I don't get it. You don't care for Michelle's skating. OK. It's a free country.

But what pleasure do you get out of raining on other peoples' parade who do like her?

For someone who professes to prize variety, you seem to be stroking a one-stringed harp. As MZheng suggests, it is not very interesting to other members of this board to read the same post over and over on every thread.

Mathman

Sorry If I offend. I'm by nature a very nice person! Sometimes the Kwan gushfest goes overboard - and that's not interesting EITHER. There certainly are a LOT of negative comments that always float around about Cohen. She is usually fair game around here for slings and arrows, but a lot of folks don't seem to mind that. Maybe it's just the old double standard...say what you like and be catty about everyone else, but leave Kwan alone. Really though, if a person makes a negative comment about a skater, they would probably LEAVE IT RIGHT THERE, if so many rabid fans didn't jump all over them for stating their own opinion. When that happens, it, of course, puts the other person on the defensive and when that happens, the posting will just go on and on...

So, for the last time, I have not (and have never) said that Kwan is lousy skater with no talent. She has LOTS of talent (as I have said many times.) If most folks are content to see her do the same thing over and over, in her usual lovely and graceful manner, then so be it. If she hasn't moved out of her comfort zone by this point, she probably never will, and those that really love her will be always be happy to see her skate her standard, never changing, stock programs. They will always know exactly what to expect from her and everyone will be happy.

Now, in an effort make you all happy, I will go back to just reading posts.