Good Morning America-should Kwan Get Bye | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Good Morning America-should Kwan Get Bye

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Even that's not original.

The point is...only SASHA can do the so-called "SASHASPLAT". If any other skater does it, it's simply a "fall".

millie

Medalist
Red Dog said:
The point is...only SASHA can do the so-called "SASHASPLAT". If any other skater does it, it's simply a "fall".

What's the name of that move Kwan is going to try to do?? Oh Yeah, the "Forrest Gump" move.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Is that going to be origional?

I hope you all noticed that Sasha's performances at U.S. Nationals received the highest point totals ever in the history of the New Judging System. Sasha's performance, according to the judges, was better that Irina's 2005 Worlds, better than Irina's Cup of China and Cup of Russia, better than Mao Asada's Grand Prix Final.

Wow!!!

MM :)

cianni

On the Ice
Come On MM

Mathman said:
I hope you all noticed that Sasha's performances at U.S. Nationals received the highest point totals ever in the history of the New Judging System. Sasha's performance, according to the judges, was better that Irina's 2005 Worlds, better than Irina's Cup of China and Cup of Russia, better than Mao Asada's Grand Prix Final.

Wow!!!

They were American judges what would you expect. Im sure the International judges wont agree. I think you might be saying this as a joke. The marks last night for all the skaters was a joke but thats what the Nats judges do in all countries.

But this is the new, objective, point system, not the old subjective thing where national pride and personal prejudice might creep in. :)

PS. I hope everyone noticed that I scored on three of my four Olympic predictions: Matt Savoie, Hinzmann and Parchem, and Silverstein and O'Meara. :)

millie

Medalist
cianni said:
They were American judges what would you expect. Im sure the International judges wont agree. I think you might be saying this as a joke. The marks last night for all the skaters was a joke but thats what the Nats judges do in all countries.

"American judges what would you expect". Do you you mean that all those 6.0's that used to given out by American judges were a joke. I bet if your favourite had goten those marks last night, you would have a different tune today. Give it a rest and suck it up or eat crow or whatever. They got the marks that they deserved and worked -am hard for. Go on to the next chapter, the Olympics, and see what the international judges does there.:)

flowjo35

On the Ice
cianni said:

Even Dick said something to the effect about all the inflated marks that it was nationals and when the olympics come around it will be a different story.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
millie said:
"American judges what would you expect". Do you you mean that all those 6.0's that used to given out by American judges were a joke. I bet if your favourite had goten those marks last night, you would have a different tune today. Give it a rest and suck it up or eat crow or whatever.

The difference is that under COP, they are now mixing in International score comparisons with National scores. That didn't happen under 6.0 judging. It was generally accepted that Nationals under 6.0 were always more generous than at international events - because all things are relative. No one ever cried foul wondering why their favorite could score a 5.9 or 6.0 at their Nationals, and then seeing a 5.6 or 5.7 at an international event. At Nationals, high scores are possible for the favorites because of the relative strength of the skaters. A Canadian skater may enjoy such scores at their nationals because in that pack of skaters, they did skate the best. But that same skater for example, would hardly expect to be judged in the same way when the creme de la creme all over the world are competing.

But that distinction is not possible with COP and the idea of "personal bests". I think to lend credibility they are going to have to distinguish between international personal bests and national personal bests.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
millie said:
What's the name of that move Kwan is going to try to do?? Oh Yeah, the "Forrest Gump" move.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Is that going to be origional?

What, exactly, is the Forrest Gump move?

Oh, I agree about the 6.0s in some of the Nationals. I mean, Sasha got a 6.0 for falling so I would gather that some of them were unwarranted.:laugh:

I, however, do not agree that Sasha will get the same high scores by international judges who are obviously looking to crown Irina with the OGM. Nah, just won't happen that way. And no, I have no clue what Kwan will get and neither do you or anyone else. I just think that if COP was supposed to "cure the ills" of cheating or, let's say, holding someone up, it ain't happening. I don't agree with the 28 point margin between Cohen and Meissner, but I do agree that Cohen skated very well and deserved to win last night.

alicelouise

Rinkside
Well...

millie said:

Actually, yes MK could pull Forrest Gump. I referred to this in another thread. At the 1998 Nagano Olympics Lu Chen won the Bronze. Anyone remember this?
LC had a horrible previous season, injuries and conflicts with her federation. She even had to prequalify at a second tier skating competition for the Olympics. It also should be noted that her competitive season previous to teh Olympics had been indifferent. She was able to practice in relative peace. all the attention was on the Americans and the Russians. So take heart MK fans.:agree:

millie

Medalist
The Forrest Gump move---At the beginning of the movie when he had braces on his legs and he could barely walk. The bullies started chasing him and the girl told him to "run Forrest run", he started to run and the braces fell off his legs and he never stopped running, he ran clear across America.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
That was quite inspiring Millie, thanks:agree: And don't forget Forrest also excelled in ping pong, business skills, was a loving husband, son, and father, wonderful friend, and brought Sergeant Dan out of his funk. We should all be so lucky to be able to pull a Forrest Gump.:bow: :bow: :bow:

A Michelle Kwan performance is like a box of chocolates. Each little movement is sweeter than the last. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

Wow!!!

Sure it did, but did she deserve them? It's a matter of opinion, but IMO she didn't. It wasn't even a clean performance.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Skate Sandee said:
But that distinction is not possible with COP and the idea of "personal bests". I think to lend credibility they are going to have to distinguish between international personal bests and national personal bests.

You got it. ITA. A national best and an international best. In this case, Irina still has the international best record.

But- the scores for GP events do tend to be more generous than scores for Worlds/Olympics/Europeans/Four Continents. How do we distinguish from that?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I would assume that one can recover from a toe injury relatively quickly. But a groin injury- and her hip injury- COMPOUNDED- is much worse than what she faced in 98.

new_europe2006

Rinkside
Red Dog said:
Well, I would assume that one can recover from a toe injury relatively quickly. But a groin injury- and her hip injury- COMPOUNDED- is much worse than what she faced in 98.

True but if she gets better in time, she'll be in the mix.