Good Morning America-should Kwan Get Bye | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Good Morning America-should Kwan Get Bye

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
My feelings about Kwan and the Olympics is that she is going to have her Short and Long approved by the Committee. This was her doing - not the Committee.

Kwan has always been a class act and if the Committee does not approve of the test skates, she will withdraw. She may even withdraw because she personally does not think she is up to it. She's been injured for some time now and it has taken a toll on her practices all year.

If she does not think she can give her best, she will withdraw even if the Committee gives her the ok. She's that kind of lady.

Joe
ITA. :rock:

R.D.

Record Breaker
nubka said:
Sorry If I offend. I'm by nature a very nice person! Sometimes the Kwan gushfest goes overboard - and that's not interesting EITHER. There certainly are a LOT of negative comments that always float around about Cohen. She is usually fair game around here for slings and arrows, but a lot of folks don't seem to mind that. Maybe it's just the old double standard...say what you like and be catty about everyone else, but leave Kwan alone. Really though, if a person makes a negative comment about a skater, they would probably LEAVE IT RIGHT THERE, if so many rabid fans didn't jump all over them for stating their own opinion. When that happens, it, of course, puts the other person on the defensive and when that happens, the posting will just go on and on...

So, for the last time, I have not (and have never) said that Kwan is lousy skater with no talent. She has LOTS of talent (as I have said many times.) If most folks are content to see her do the same thing over and over, in her usual lovely and graceful manner, then so be it. If she hasn't moved out of her comfort zone by this point, she probably never will, and those that really love her will be always be happy to see her skate her standard, never changing, stock programs. They will always know exactly what to expect from her and everyone will be happy.

Now, in an effort make you all happy, I will go back to just reading posts.

ITA, actually. I value your input and would appreciate it if you were to continue posting. :agree:

bobby

Rinkside
I think being so critical of a woman that has done so much for the sport of figure skating, for lack of a better word and one that gets my point across, is lame. I believe there was a comment at the beginning of the forum that said Michelle Kwan was not competitive anymore. Now that's just silly. Fourth in the world, that's sick. Worlds are comparable to the Olympics, and fourth place is stellar by all means. I think it's safe to say Michelle Kwan may have stuck around competitive skating for another shot at the Olympics and although she hasn't competed this season, minus Worlds, she is still a qualified competitor with the worlds best. Perhaps she can be beaten, can't we all at some point or another in our lives? Sasha Cohen was fourth at the 2002 Olympics, no one is saying that's a bad spot for her, because it's not, it's amazing. I also, wholly my opinion, think Michelle Kwan is a polished and gratefully athletic skater who has years of intense pressure situations under her belt. I think that's something to consider when you are looking at Hughes or Messiner, or even Cziney. I think if one were to take Kwan's best performance and the best performances of the above mentioned, on an international judging system, I think one would see Kwan on top. To those who say she's skated her last great performance, perhaps those are comments better left unsaid, as they are grossly under-qualified. It is not possible to ever know when a person has performed their last great escape. In my years I have seen and read people overcoming incredible feat, feats that are usually accomplished under great duress and adversity. For people to make harsh in your comments towards someone, I'm guessing, you used to route for are obnoxious.
I agree that the USOC should review her program that’s only fair. Kwan is 25 years old and has stuck around this sport for the love of the game. In a sport where you see Olympic champions leave that part of their lives behind in pursuit of the next chapter, Kwan has stuck around. She competes solidly under pressure, time and time again. She has a maturity that embodies an Olympian.
I doubt, if she were to go to the Olympics, the world would see a low placement from her. She is tenacious and a "come-back kid" who would fight for everything if given the opportunity to do so. What I think some people are forgetting is she has the skills, the same as everyone else at Nationals. Messiner said she would not do the 3' axel, to risky under the new system. You aren't going to see a lot of 3's/3's either, in light of the new scoring system. Everyone will do the same elements; it's just how they are performed. I believe Kwan and Hughes' technical abilities are fairly similar, and I also think, in time, Hughes' skating finesse' will be up to par with Kwans. By this I mean no ill will or to take anything away from Hughes. Comfortability in pressure situations and the elegance of time, are elements that come over the years. To look at Kwan in 1994 vs. a much older Kerrigan, one can see the difference the years make. To compare Kwan at those Nationals vs. her last appearance it is obvious what she has retained and woven into her performances. That doesn't come from a choreographer, it comes from heart and soul. Cohen has come a long way in her journey as well. I've read that people don't think the sport will be the same once the heavy weights move on in their lives, but what I think we need to realize is that there's a whole crop of girls that will blossom into woman over the years. I believe that's why we fall in love with them because you are seeing them grow as a person through their skating. You see them separate themselves in their own individualistic way, again through their skating.
Hughes will be given her opportunity to hang with the big shots at Worlds and from there, if she continues on this track, perhaps in 2010 she will atop the Olympic podium.
Giving Kwan a bye- would not be handing her something she hasn't earned, it's something she has worked for and is still working for after so many others quit, and she has stuck with it. She loves the sport; she embodies a great athlete and good sportswoman, not to mention a pretty good figure skater.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Welcome to GS Bobby. That was a wonderful post. Thank you so much for writing it. :agree:

nubka said:
Sorry If I offend. I'm by nature a very nice person! Sometimes the Kwan gushfest goes overboard - and that's not interesting EITHER.
Nubka, I am so sorry I made such a stupid post. I have deleted it. Sometimes I get a little crazy this time of year, but I do try to keep my ratio of non-stupid to stupid posts up to at least a 3 to 2 ratio. :)

Of course you are a nice person. Yes, the Kwan gush fest goes overboard sometimes. I am a nice person, too. Don't go, OK? This is me, looking penitent: :frown:

Mathman

rob43

On the Ice
I think we've all become spoiled. I really think Kwan upped the ladies bar in terms of variety of elements and programs. Sasha, Tara and Sarah met that challenge by trying to do the same.

But there was a time when top competitiors reused programs for years. Or changed the footwork at the start- a la S. Hamilton.

And as slow or unacceptable as Kwan's spins are made out to be look back and see how precious great spinners are. We were simply spoiled by Nicole, Angela, NNN, Sasha, Alyssa (sp) and even Sarah in short order.

Wait a year and a half when we'll probably be left to chose between Czisny's spins/extension/artistry, Kimmie's jumps and Bebe's attack and I think we'll appreciate what we've been treated to and dismissed so easily over the last decade.

mzheng

Record Breaker
rob43 said:
I think we've all become spoiled. I really think Kwan upped the ladies bar in terms of variety of elements and programs. Sasha, Tara and Sarah met that challenge by trying to do the same.

But there was a time when top competitiors reused programs for years. Or changed the footwork at the start- a la S. Hamilton.

And as slow or unacceptable as Kwan's spins are made out to be look back and see how precious great spinners are. We were simply spoiled by Nicole, Angela, NNN, Sasha, Alyssa (sp) and even Sarah in short order.

Wait a year and a half when we'll probably be left to chose between Czisny's spins/extension/artistry, Kimmie's jumps and Bebe's attack and I think we'll appreciate what we've been treated to and dismissed so easily over the last decade.
So true. And we may looking at 1 spot at worlds when 2008 come around.

And wellcome to the GS, bobby. Great post.

Last edited by a moderator:
All this talk about skaters doing the same thing every year.

I watched Sasha live, albeit sick, but there was nothing new in the routine. It was the same high extensions (her selling point) and the same jumps and spins.
She did skate quite well and I think a healthier Sasha has more than a shot at the gold in Torino.

Bottom line, though, there are no 3x3s, and I think it best that she leaves them out. No one has ever WOWED her jumping skills.

Kwan, too, nothing new and I think if it isn't there at 20, it's not going to be there. Kwan will get points on her musicality and nuances in performance, imo, but no 3x3s.

Japanese Ladies and Irina have the 3x3s. Over and out.

Joe