Gracie Gold | Page 125 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I was curious so I checked my local library yesterday to see if they have Gracie's book. To my surprise they did, I put my name in the queue to get it (I was number 6 in line) and today I was notified the book is ready for me to pick up. :scratch2:

Country
Norway
To my surprise I could actually buy this book in Norway at an online bookstore. I just ordered it. The shipping says 2-5 days so they must have the book in stock. I really thought I would have to buy the book from Amazon to get the book in paper, and was considering buying kindle version to avoid waiting forever for it to arrive. But now I will wait for it to arrive before I read. I can´t wait.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She is absolutely calling out US figure skating. How do I make a spoiler tag?

On a reply post, go to the three dots icon, (next to the easel), and hit it.

A new bar will pop up. at the end is a mask icon.

type what you want, highlight and hit the mask icon.

Spoilers look like this.

Like this

icewhite

Record Breaker
I'm surprised there is no dedicated thread in the edge, because this book seems to go beyond a personal biography and say a lot about the figure skating culture and USfed?
I haven't read the book though, so I won't be the one to open one.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm surprised there is no dedicated thread in the edge, because this book seems to go beyond a personal biography and say a lot about the figure skating culture and USfed?
I haven't read the book though, so I won't be the one to open one.
I made one! And I'm filling it up with stuff lol

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How do we find your new thread?

ETA: Thread now starts here:

Last edited:

babyskate

On the Ice
Gracie will be in Ridgewood New Jersey tomorrow to sign her book at Bookends. They did a great job with Nathan Chen's childrens book last year.
Ridgewood is a cute town and the store is close to the train station for trains from NYC.
I am excited to meet her. Just bought the book from the store.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie will be in Ridgewood New Jersey tomorrow to sign her book at Bookends. They did a great job with Nathan Chen's childrens book last year.
Ridgewood is a cute town and the store is close to the train station for trains from NYC.
I am excited to meet her. Just bought the book from the store.
She's lovely and gracious with her fans. Though the first time I met her I literally hyperventilated. Now I practice what I will say so I'm not just choking stuff out like a crazy person.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm almost finished with the audiobook and admit I teared up at a few points, especially the East of Eden chapter. I really liked the book so far.

It's a small nitpick but Gracie comparing her cat's medicine to IVM was an apples and oranges situation. She believed the misinformation that it is only for horses. It's a Nobel prize winning medication to treat parasites in humans too.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm almost finished with the audiobook and admit I teared up at a few points, especially the East of Eden chapter. I really liked the book so far.

It's a small nitpick but Gracie comparing her cat's medicine to IVM was an apples and oranges situation. She believed the misinformation that it is only for horses. It's a Nobel prize winning medication to treat parasites in humans too.

I have not read the book, but what did Gracie say?

Having lived with a kitten with FIP, who did not make it.:cry:, Remsdevir is the drug of choice and needs to be acquired over the black market. Which we prepared to do. Because the drug company will not authorize its use in cats.

Or am I missing something? (which since I haven't read the book is completely possible. My heart of course goes out to Gracie and I just need to be in right frame of mind to read)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have not read the book, but what did Gracie say?

Having lived with a kitten with FIP, who did not make it.:cry:, Remsdevir is the drug of choice and needs to be acquired over the black market. Which we prepared to do. Because the drug company will not authorize its use in cats.

Or am I missing something? (which since I haven't read the book is completely possible. My heart of course goes out to Gracie and I just need to be in right frame of mind to read)
I have the audiobook so I'm paraphrasing from the end of Chapter 19. Gracie said the medication for FIP for her cat, Teddy, was not FDA approved due to concerns that the human population would snatch the supply. She erroneously compared it to Ivermectin which she said was to treat worms in animals and horses. The truth is that Ivermectin is approved to treat malaria and parasites in humans and as I mentioned above won a Nobel prize. It's also super inexpensive. Perhaps she could have been clearer in her comparison but I found it misleading.

She said the medication they used was called GS441524 and she found it through a FB group of other people whose cats suffered from FIP. It cost thousands of dollars/month for a series of injections. A friend wound up putting on their credit card and she and James would pay them back.

Ivermectin is FDA approved and inexpensive, so I felt her comparison was not accurate. YMMV.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have the audiobook so I'm paraphrasing from the end of Chapter 19. Gracie said the medication for FIP for her cat, Teddy, was not FDA approved due to concerns that the human population would snatch the supply. She erroneously compared it to Ivermectin which she said was to treat worms in animals and horses. The truth is that Ivermectin is approved to treat malaria and parasites in humans and as I mentioned above won a Nobel prize. It's also super inexpensive. Perhaps she could have been clearer in her comparison but I found it misleading.

She said the medication they used was called GS441524 and she found it through a FB group of other people whose cats suffered from FIP. It cost thousands of dollars/month for a series of injections. A friend wound up putting on their credit card and she and James would pay them back.

Ivermectin is FDA approved and inexpensive, so I felt her comparison was not accurate. YMMV.

I see, thank you.

I have an idea as to why she may have made the comparison, but since I have no real idea, and my speculation would veer into political conspiracy theories, I will stop here. :)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see, thank you.

I have an idea as to why she may have made the comparison, but since I have no real idea, and my speculation would veer into political conspiracy theories, I will stop here. :)
Agreed. And I'm sorry about your kitty. Gracie did say in the book that Teddy is doing fine now. She also made comments about the irony about a person who has struggled with an eating disorder adopting a cat with an eating disorder.