Hanyu defends Olympic title | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Hanyu defends Olympic title

Ophelia

Record Breaker
By repeating his program so many times, he really robs the figure skating world of beautiful fantastic programs the likes we have not yet seen, that can last the end of the time, not just beautiful performances or world record scoring.

Hanyu is enormously talented beyond jumps, but now having gained his PCS stripes and WRs, I wish he would spread his wings and try new programs, experimentations, new artistic horizons, ambitions, not skating for points anymore. He neglected the artistic development of the sport for past 2 years now and I wish for him to be a figurehead pushing the artistic boundaries for the men and really fulfill that aspect of his potential from Romeo and Juliet days. Skating beyond points, go for harmony, balance, new aesthetics, refinement, sensitivity, virtuousity. Something Patrick tries to do with the overall aspect of his skating, although his records do not always reflect his efforts, but to the insiders, who are real figure skating watchers that has an appreciation of pure skating, I feel he will be remembered fondly despite of it.

What are you talking about? He had new programs last year, and Prince SP was pushing the boundary for him.

Seimei and Chopin are both iconic.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
What are you talking about? He had new programs last year, and Prince SP was pushing the boundary for him.

Seimei and Chopin are both iconic.

I mis spoke, i meant 2 seasons (actually make that 3), not past 2 years. Chopin repeated 3 seasons, Seimei repeated 2 seasons, Parisienne Walkways 2 seasoons. Not fan of Seimei anyway despite well skated. Musically there's not enough complexity, contrasts, variations, textures, lyricism within the music connotations and choreography although perfect for epic jumping drills. Hanyu is already an ICON, he doesn't need to go back to his iconic programs to prove he is iconic, he is good enough without them.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I'm glad he repeated Chopin and Seimei this year. It was strategically and physically the correct choice.

charlotte14

Medalist
Uhh let's not do the GOAT... the moment they get showered with that title, loss of motivation, pressures to live up to that tag constantly and they want to retire! And I DON@T WANT HANYU TO RETIRE...just yet!!

By repeating his program so many times, he really robs the figure skating world of beautiful fantastic programs the likes we have not yet seen, that can last the end of the time, not just beautiful performances or world record scoring.

Hanyu is enormously talented beyond jumps, but now having gained his PCS stripes and WRs, I wish he would spread his wings and try new programs, experimentations, new artistic horizons, ambitions, not skating for points anymore. He neglected the artistic development of the sport for 2 seasons now and I wish for him to be a figurehead pushing the artistic boundaries for the men and really fulfill that aspect of his potential from Romeo and Juliet days. Skating beyond points, go for harmony, balance, new aesthetics, refinement, sensitivity, virtuousity. Something Patrick tries to do with the overall aspect of his skating, although his records do not always reflect his efforts, but to the insiders, who are real figure skating watchers that has an appreciation of pure skating, I feel he will be remembered fondly despite of it.

Ofcourse, I also wanted him to take a bit more easy, especially with old injuries. On the other hand.. as a fan since his beginnings, I am grateful for whatever he want to do with this sport... anything beyond this point is just a gift really...
He will always be the best ever Romeo for me, may be that is good enough.
You know... I respect your verbose writing but many times I want to ask what you smoke because I want to try it too. :laugh2:

But really, he will not retire with 2 recyled programs. This season he used 2 old programs because last season he had 2 news programs yet he did not get good recognization for his trying. His PCS even went down with more difficulty and transitions. He did not even get yellow star "You Tried" on it (heck we should tell him to try out his new program in France lmao).

I am sure Hanyu will bring 2 new programs next season. :biggrin:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
You know... I respect your verbose writing but many times I want to ask what you smoke because I want to try it too. :laugh2:

But really, he will not retire with 2 recycled programs. This season he used 2 old programs because last season he had 2 news programs yet he did not get good recognization for his trying. His PCS even went down with more difficulty and transitions. He did not even get a yellow star "You Tried" on it (heck we should tell him to try out his new program in France lmao).

I am sure Hanyu will bring 2 new programs next season. :biggrin:

He better... I await eagerly. Like I have been waiting every year since he started at Seniors, to see how he can top Romeo and Juliet. His best program for me last quads is still Chopin, and I think it is a response to Patrick's Elegie (Or I just see it that way), Parienne Walkaways at his current age would be very attractive better than teens .

Braving new horizons, test boundaries, experimentation will always include the possibilities of failure, or not get recognised by the judges. Although bear in mind, when the thing does not work out, it could do with poor judging or the poor quality of program itself, it does not mean it is not the correct or best approach to creating great work.

As a leader of the sport, he is in a very privileged position to dictate and influence the sport and pushes it forward in whatever direction he wished. Leaders can have a huge impact on the rest of the field. All these quad fests among the new generation, I actually attribute to the Hanyu effect...even the fact repeat program become a standard thing now (not good). Daisuke created Shoma, Plushy created Hanyu etc.. - now if he can turn the sport around to make it more about balance, the importance of executing greate elements not just tick box them, developing artistry, originality, creativity, authenticity, refinement, finesse like he is perfectly able to do if he bothered to put in the effort. It could be a huge positive thing to the sport vs another quad or another WR. What will the Yuzu kids like be in the future.. that can determine his legacy.

At the end of the day, I am curious what Hanyu will see the sport now he achieved his 2 OGM dream, what will motivate him and what will drive him. Defensive or Offensive? To play safe to stay at the top or look beyond it @ 360 in multi dimension universe ;)

Proxy

On the Ice
I don't know why people like his Chopin program. It's very boring I almost fell asleep. Semei is the best male program ever though.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Bromances for the win! I think Javi was nearly as happy for Yuzu as he was for himself.

This made me sob like a baby because in a way, with this, so much is ending
https://twitter.com/hueber_sydney/status/964927563666808832

I think they're genuinely happy for each other and it's really an end of one era and beginning of another in some ways, with Javier leaving. I think it's obvious Yuzuru himself is going to be deeply affected and it will be interesting to see how that goes forward.

__

For Yuzuru himself, I have no words except that seeing him so happy has been the best gift ever. An amazing achievement that goes down in sports, not just figure skating, history and done by a wonderful, class act of a person. He's wanted this since he was little and now he has it. I hope he finds new challenges in skating to carry him on and that his health holds.

charlotte14

Medalist
He better... I await eagerly. Like I have been waiting every year since he started at Seniors, to see how he can top Romeo and Juliet. His best program for me last quads is still Chopin, and I think it is a response to Patrick's Elegie (Or I just see it that way), Parienne Walkaways at his current age would be very attractive better than teens .

Braving new horizons, test boundaries, experimentation will always include the possibilities of failure, or not get recognised by the judges. Although bear in mind, when the thing does not work out, it could do with poor judging or the poor quality of program itself, it does not mean it is not the correct or best approach to creating great work.

As a leader of the sport, he is in a very privileged position to dictate and influence the sport and pushes it forward in whatever direction he wished. Leaders can have a huge impact on the rest of the field. All these quad fests among the new generation, I actually attribute to the Hanyu effect...even the fact repeat program become a standard thing now (not good). Daisuke created Shoma, Plushy created Hanyu etc.. - now if he can turn the sport around to make it more about balance, the importance of executing greate elements not just tick box them, developing artistry, originality, creativity, authenticity, refinement, finesse like he is perfectly able to do if he bothered to put in the effort. It could be a huge positive thing to the sport vs another quad or another WR. What will the Yuzu kids like be in the future.. that can determine his legacy.

At the end of the day, I am curious what Hanyu will see the sport now he achieved his 2 OGM dream, what will motivate him and what will drive him. Defensive or Offensive? To play safe to stay at the top or look beyond it @ 360 in multi dimension universe ;)

When empty skating with mostlt 2 foot and crossovers get bonus PCS don't ask me which is the correct judging. Why go for the skating beauty, trying new choreography when you should just jump and rotate even on ice?

I think Hanyu want that 4A... :dbana: and Axel is the perfect jump to avoid strain on his right leg...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
This made me sob like a baby because in a way, with this, so much is ending
https://twitter.com/hueber_sydney/status/964927563666808832

I think they're genuinely happy for each other and it's really an end of one era and beginning of another in some ways, with Javier leaving. I think it's obvious Yuzuru himself is going to be deeply affected and it will be interesting to see how that goes forward.

__

For Yuzuru himself, I have no words except that seeing him so happy has been the best gift ever. An amazing achievement that goes down in sports, not just figure skating, history and done by a wonderful, class act of a person. He's wanted this since he was little and now he has it. I hope he finds new challenges in skating to carry him on and that his health holds.

One of the best moment at the Olympics..

Brian should jump in and give a father bear hug, instead, he is looking adoringly in the background capturing the moment with glistening eyes. Would love to see that picture!! hope he shares them :D

Shoma is so cute, he looks so lost ALL the time!

tars

Record Breaker
I've seen Yuna vs Mao, Yuna vs Adelina and Yuna vs Evgenia discussions, but this is a new one 😁.
I fully agree Yuzuru is master of his art and great champion, I just reacted to the shouting "best skater ever" topic title, which I felt was a bit of exaggeration, considering how much less popular and relevant men's division is compared to the ladies figure skating.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion! :pray:
Congrats to the amazing 2014&2018 Olympic Champion, Yuzuru Hanyu! :clap:

epicdreamer

Rinkside
One of the best moment at the Olympics...

Shoma is so cute, he looks so lost ALL the time!

Shoma admitted to not understanding what was happening in the hug because he didn't understand English and what Yuzu and Javi were talking about 😂

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I fully agree Yuzuru is master of his art and great champion, I just reacted to the shouting "best skater ever" topic title, which I felt was a bit of exaggeration, considering how much less popular and relevant men's division is compared to the ladies figure skating.

Uh-oh I think you just dug a deeper hole for yourself... :palmf: :laugh:

charlotte14

Medalist

Name me a current active lady skater who has more fans and support than Hanyu though. Not Medvedeva, I am sure. She is not on his level of getting insane attention.

Note that I am not saying you have to compare lady to men. But obvious the title was meant to be for men because in most case people do not compare apple to orange.

Panpie

On the Ice
Best male individual figure skater? Maybe. He's had two Olympics and two poor mistake-filled skates though. Either way, you cannot compare across disciplines.

There is only one Yuna Kim.
Two "mistake-filled" skates? I don't think so.

russianskating4ever

On the Ice
You know the fact that Yuzu didn’t use the jump proves to everybody how great he is. He didn’t need to, Yuzu has enough and his choreography and artistry is so much more sophisticated than other skaters that he deserved to win. PLUS he had just recovered from an injury, actually not even, Yuzu was just well enough to skate and consider the fact that he didn’t need to pack his FS with quads
to the brim. I think men figure skating is just more than quads, and the fact that Yuzu didn’t ‘overuse’ quads is evidence that he can be the greatest without over using them.
I still can’t get over he won! So happy ❤️[emoji24]