Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Is there a deadline for the countries to submit their chosen contestants for the Team event?

Why don't we know those yet?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
To me this is a bad sign. It tells me that he's not fully healed and not fully ready. But we'll see.

Andrea82

Medalist
Is there a deadline for the countries to submit their chosen contestants for the Team event?

Deadline for SP/SD entries is the morning before the start of the team event

If a NOC/ISU Member has 2 or 3 entries in an individual OWG competition/discipline then the NOC/ISU Member must declare the Skaters/Couples to compete in the Short Program/Short Dance of the Team Event latest at 10:00 a.m., local time on site of the OWG, the day before the beginning of the first Short Program/Short Dance of the Figure Skating Team Event.

For the 5 Teams qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance of the Figure Skating Team Event the NOC/ISU Member must declare the Pairs competing for the Pair Skating Free Skating immediately (latest about 10 minutes) after the conclusion of the Ladies Short Program of the Team Event in order to ensure that the Team composition of all Teams are known before the beginning of the Free Skating/Free Dance. The NOC/ISU Member must declare the Skaters/Couples for the Men, Ladies and Ice Dance Free Skating/Free Dance latest at 15:30 (after the Pair Skating Free Skating).

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

IIRC, they only have to say the day before the SP who they're using in it. A few days earlier (I believe Feb 6th) they declare who they'll have available (according to Jackie Wong), but that can just be all the qualified skaters for the country.
The pairs and men's SP is on the 9th, so that means they have to name those skaters by some time on the 8th. And the ladies and dance SP/SD is on the 11th, so named by the 10th. I think that's right. Anyways, it's very last minute.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I don't consider this a terrible sign that means he's not recovered from his injury yet. I believe his ankle is fine now but the fact is, while everyone else has had months of practice, Yuzuru only got back into full training at the beginning of January. He needs time for conditioning, to gain stamina and to stabilize jumps again, do runthroughs. Maybe weighing the pros and cons, they decided some full dedicated training at TCC for one more week would be better than the Olympic pandemonium.

It's not ideal but nothing this season has been, for him. :(

Good luck for the individual event, Yuzuru. May you deliver two great programs.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
He didn't need the Quad Lutz, very sad if he will not be in top form because of the injury.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
To me this is a bad sign. It tells me that he's not fully healed and not fully ready. But we'll see.

I agree. But I also don't think it's unwise for him to save all his energy for the individual event, so even if he's 90% it's probably a good idea not to do the team competition. The men's competition is on back-to-back nights, so there's already the factor of rest and recovery from that alone.

anyanka

Record Breaker
He should take the time he needs to recover and practice in peace, away from the intense media attention. If that means he can't make the team event, so be it. Hopefully he has his support while Brian is Korea early for the team event.

If he goes clean back-to-back in the men's event, a pristine "Seimei" on Olympic ice would be absolutely sensational. We all benefit if that happens.

padme21

On the Ice
Hmmm seems like the injury is still quite serious and he wants to take as much time out for rest as possible. The most logical thing to do is do the team SP so that he can warm up after being out for a couple of months. As we saw with the different comeback of Evgenia and Boyang, it's best to warm up before the big stage because you never know what comeback you're going to have.

This makes me extremely nervous and I suspect that the injury is not completely healed and the sad thing is he needs that team event short program. He needs it in order to get himself momentum because right now he has zero momentum. He'll be going into the Olympics was a 0 momentum which will make it very nearly impossible to squeak out a win let alone get on the podium.
I strongly feel like he needed this team event hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I was waiting for any update on Hanyu's status and now we have this one. :slink:

He doesn't need Team Event boost or anything to get his scores, so it's a wise decision to pull him out of the Team Event entries if he is not fully healed yet.

The chance for Japan to get a Team medal is also slim as their pairs and dance are not comparable with their strong singles as opposed to the other Big 3. Therefore, focusing on the individual event is a practical and clever move.

I hope to see healthy Hanyu at the Olympics anyway.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker

I can interpret it as positive or negative.

On one hand-it could be he is not doing the team event because he really isn't healthy yet and they are praying he'll somehow be ready by the men's event.

On the other- he could be in good shape now but not wanting to risk anything else- his pursuit was always the OGM. He doesn't have anything to gain by doing the team event but could hurt himself. It's not worth the risk.

I am more inclined to go with the later for now. I am a runner and I ended up with severe shin splints during training. I had to stop running for 2 weeks (and couldn't do a toe loop since it was worse on that leg- go figure). I had planned on doing a race (a half) before but skipped it even though I wasn't having pain anymore. It wasn't worth the risk to do the half when my ultimate goal was the marathon. This is obviously no where near the challenge Yuzuru faces, but I wanted to illustrate sometimes we give up smaller goals for the bigger one.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I can interpret it as positive or negative.

On one hand-it could be he is not doing the team event because he really isn't healthy yet and they are praying he'll somehow be ready by the men's event.

On the other- he could be in good shape now but not wanting to risk anything else- his pursuit was always the OGM. He doesn't have anything to gain by doing the team event but could hurt himself. It's not worth the risk.

I do think that, if he were truly 100%, he would at least do the SP. Surely he would want one competitive outing prior to the main event, as he hasn't competed since October.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I hope this does not ruin shomas chance at the individual gold medal.

Why would this effect Uno's chances? They have 3 men and aren't in the running for a Team medal anyways.

sydney

On the Ice
...and why it would ruin it ?? I mean there 3 Japanese man , if Shoma doesn't want to do both sp and fs on the team event , there is still Keiji , so I don't really see where is the problem here

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
...and why it would ruin it ?? I mean there 3 Japanese man , if Shoma doesn't want to do both sp and fs on the team event , there is still Keiji , so I don't really see where is the problem here

JSF is going to FORCE Shoma into doing both, obviously. I mean, duh.