Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics

sydney

On the Ice
I hope this does not ruin shomas chance at the individual gold medal.

...and why it would ruin it ?? I mean there 3 Japanese man , if Shoma doesn't want to do both sp and fs on the team event , there is still Keiji , so I don't really see where is the problem here

frida80

Record Breaker
I strongly feel, if the skater is a medal favorite they should not do both the SP and FS. No need to over exert anyone before the indivual events. If Yuzuru isn’t doing the SP or FS, I hope Shoma declines the FS.

There’s been so little news on Yuruzu, I don’t know what to make of this news. It would’ve been good to see him in the SP, just to see how well he looks before the individual events. And for him to work out the cobwebs of not competing. But not doing the team event may be just a precaution. Since he’s not been competing, this may take out more energy for him than others at the individual events. It’s a little scary, but I refuse to think the worst.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Why should there be news? The scrutiny on him is insane. Every little movement of his is under a microscope. If I were him, I would be doing a media blackout too.

yude

Record Breaker
I don't think Shoma will do both SP and FS unless he wishes to do so though. In Sochi, Japan was in the 4th place after SP but still Machida and Akiko skated FS.

Anyways, Japan has to advance to FS first.

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
I mean he won't be with him during this week that I personally find crucial.
He'll be with him once he's in Korea of course. Well, split between the three of them.

It’s hard to say, because Korea is very unlikely to advance to FS (or have a decent placement), so not sure if Brian (or even Cha) would put much priority into the team’s event.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I found this Chrome translation very funny (and perhaps apropos):

Hanyu, to avoid group warfare

The figure skater men's Hanyu Yasunari (ANA) participating in the Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games has been revealed on 2nd, on the 2nd that it will be aimed at aiming at a personal battle that will win the first consecutive win in 66 years, avoiding group fighting .

Hanyu who injured the right ankle in November last year is expected to return to the actual war in the men's short program (SP) on March 16...

;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

The figure skater men's Hanyu Yasunari (ANA) participating in the Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games has been revealed on 2nd, on the 2nd that it will be aimed at aiming at a personal battle that will win the first consecutive win in 66 years, avoiding group fighting .

Hanyu who injured the right ankle in November last year is expected to return to the actual war in the men's short program (SP) on March 16...

;)

Well, isn't he supposed to be a warrior in Seimei, after all? ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

;)

:rofl2:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I figured it out afterrwards who Cha was. Brian Orser might not have an OGM skater for the first time in three Olympics - Hanyu and Javier are his prized pupils so we will see - both could win.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Obviously Shoma won't do both programs. JPN only has one dance team and one pairs team.

While I don't think Shoma will skate both programs (provided Japan makes it to final), there is no rule that says he couldn't.

There can be a maximum of two switchouts - not that two switchouts are required.

So, even though the pair and dancers will have to repeat, it doesn't mean that the man (and the lady, for that matter) couldn't also repeat.

In fact, I think Canada may choose to repeat the man, dancers, and pair for the best chance to win team gold. If they can leave Korea with team gold medals for Patrick, V/M and D/R, I think they would accept diminished chances in the individual events. It would be cause for national celebration. I think it depends on where they are after the team SP's are complete.

yuki

Final Flight
While I don't think Shoma will skate both programs (provided Japan makes it to final), there is no rule that says he couldn't.

There can be a maximum of two switchouts - not that two switchouts are required.

So, even though the pair and dancers will have to repeat, it doesn't mean that the man (and the lady, for that matter) couldn't also repeat.

In fact, I think Canada may choose to repeat the man, dancers, and pair for the best chance to win team gold. If they can leave Korea with team gold medals for Patrick, V/M and D/R, I think they would accept diminished chances in the individual events. It would be cause for national celebration. I think it depends on where they are after the team SP's are complete.

True, but Japan is not in the same situation as Canada. They're not in medal contention. It would make no sense to wear out their individual skaters for the sake of this event.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
True, but Japan is not in the same situation as Canada. They're not in medal contention. It would make no sense to wear out their individual skaters for the sake of this event.

That's not the Japanese mentality. The Japanese mentality is to always straightforward do the best you can. That's why, barring injury, they always send their best skaters to 4CC, even in an Olympic year.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The first sentence of the post you quoted confirms that I do not think he will skate two programs.

My point was that just because the pairs and dancers would repeat, the rules do not prohibit the other disciplines of repeating as well.

We game out how we think the skaters will place in the SP, and we try to predict what that means for team standings headed into the final, but we don't know.

I don't think it's out of the question that Japan could be in medal contention after the SPs.