Hanyu withdraws from Japanese Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hanyu withdraws from Japanese Nationals

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
http://sp.kahoku.co.jp/tohokunews/20...219_14035.html

This news is published by Tohoku media. It says that his injury of right leg isn't recovered as expected and It'll take longer,.His team convinced him to withdraw at final moment. For 4CC, it's still a little rush for him to back at competition, They expect the team event will be possible for him before OG single event.

cinnamon

On the Ice
the articles are the logic consequence of continous and progressive worsening statements from JSF after NHK WD so that a sprained ankle , which initially required 10 days of rest, has become a never ending injury.
JSF PR remind me somehow of an Overton Window about Hanyu WD at Olys for medical reason :laugh:

The most pessimistic JSF statement was on December 14 ( they said Hanyu told them he didn't know when he would start training on the ice), but it was promptly denied by people concerned in the Japanese Federation ( Yuzuru can't jump at high quality) . JSF conflicting news are clearly damaging Hanyu , who has not held any press conference since NHK WD, so we don't really know anything from him directly.
The question is cui prodest?

The news are not conflicting in Japanese - the bottom line is he is not yet on the ice.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
It is expected given the recent news on his form. Get well and heal completely.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Le sigh.... I really do hope he will be healthy for Olympics. Can't imagine it without him :(

giulia95

Medalist
Is JOC twitter page the last Yuzuru Hanyus’update or is it a joke?:shocked::laugh:

https://twitter.com/Japan_Olympic
#HAPPYNEWYEAR #olympic #RoadtoPyeongChang

No reigning Olympic champion? No reigning world champion? really JOC?

The question is still open and more actual than ever : cui prodest?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Is JOC twitter page the last Yuzuru Hanyus’update or is it a joke?:shocked::laugh:

No reigning Olympic champion? No regning world champion? really JOC?

Huh? Judging by your post, I assumed the committee announced that Hanyu is no longer in the Olympic team because his injury is so serious that he can't even wait and see until the last minutes. That would be really terrible, but thankfully it isn't. I don't see what a problem is with the specific twitter. Except Satoko and Shoma, the other athletics seem to be speed skaters or others to be representing Japan at Pyeong Chang. They all may be this year's National champions.

Is there some actual news? Nobody "podests" from this twitter page, that I can see. (?)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Is there some actual news? Nobody "podests" from this twitter page, that I can see. (?)

As far as the twitter is concerned, no. It looks like an annual celebration message for New Year's day and words of encouragement for Japanese Olympic Team.

giulia95

Medalist
It’s hilarious!!!
JOC's new year post is getting tons of replies asking if Yuzuru Hanyu is Japanese :laugh::laugh:
Never see something like that before, skating world never fails to amaze me !!

Happy new year Yuzuru !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

yude

Record Breaker
Copy my post from Hanyu's fan fest.

It is a little disappointing to me honestly JOC's post didn't include Yuzuru, but it also didn't include Sara Takanashi who is a Japan's ace in women's ski jumping and a medal contender. It seems JOC has listed the athletes from "Symbol Athletes" of JOC and the problem was that they didn't say about it, especially for the international fans. (Yuzuru was a symbol athlete in the time of Sochi Olympics, but he isn't this time and Sara isn't either.)

Yes, the JOC post is a greeting card, positive one for team Japan. And there is no new info about Hanyu.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

No reigning Olympic champion? No reigning world champion? really JOC?

I don't understand the big deal?

It has the current Japanese men's and women's figure skating champions, and presumably other top Japanese athletes, perhaps National champions/Olympic hopefuls themselves.

giulia95

Medalist
I don't understand the big deal?

It has the current Japanese men's and women's figure skating champions, and presumably other top Japanese athletes, perhaps National champions/Olympic hopefuls themselves.

Tell it to the dozens and dozens of people from Japan and from everywhere in the world who replied to JOC post!:biggrin:

Exactly like JSF, it seems JOC has some peculiar PR problems about Yuzu,
no doubt if I weren’t a Yuzu’s fan I would be really delighted by them both :laugh:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Exactly like JSF, it seems JOC has some peculiar PR problems about Yuzu,
no doubt if I weren’t a Yuzu’s fan I would be really delighted by them both :laugh:

JOC does not have any problems with Yuzuru Hanyu. What they have is a social media team that isn't too good because they failed to clearly label their tweet. The athletes shown are Symbol Athletes. They were chosen a long time ago. The tweet should have made this clear, it did not so they learned their lesson. That's all there is to it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
JOC does not have any problems with Yuzuru Hanyu. What they have is a social media team that isn't too good because they failed to clearly label their tweet. The athletes shown are Symbol Athletes. They were chosen a long time ago. The tweet should have made this clear, it did not so they learned their lesson. That's all there is to it.

Isn't Hanyu already a Symbol Athlete? Or at least he was in 2014.

As far as Google Translate goes, the tweet says: "Happy New Year! We look forward to your support to the Japanese National team this year." So I don't see the issue in this. They had 8 athletes represented, and 2 of them are the Japanese men's national champion and Japanese women's figure skating champion -- and it was announced that Satoko and Shoma were Symbol Athletes a while ago, based on their performance, popularity, and future potential.

I also don't see why the JOC has to specifically label the athletes in their tweets as Symbol Athletes. If anything, calling out their Symbol Athlete status is aggrandizing these particular athletes over the other members of the Japanese National team that they want people to support. These are medal hopefuls but I don't think the Tweet is implying that these 8 Symbol Athletes comprise the whole Japanese National team. :laugh:

I'm certain there will be ample promotion of Hanyu as a member of the Olympic team when it's confirmed that he will be able to participate, but until then, I don't get the problem in promoting the top Japanese man this season (active or otherwise) - who is currently Japan's best bet at an OGM in figure skating - as well as the top Japanese lady this season. Shoma and Satoko have both lived up to their Symbol Athlete status, and they are active medal hopefuls, so I think it's absolutely appropriate that they are the ones featured in such a tweet at this point in time.

Also, it's just a tweet. :biggrin:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Isn't Hanyu already a Symbol Athlete? Or at least he was in 2014.

No, it changes. The names you see there, or athletes really, are it.

I also don't see why the JOC has to specifically label the athletes in their tweets as Symbol Athletes.

And you're hopefully not employed in social media management either.

From the point of JOC, and it's not a minor organization either, when posts of these types are made, the goal is pretty clear. You want to generate some positive talk, in various ways - support for these athletes, which further on leads to support for all of them, and Japan, in the upcoming Games; congratulations for the new year, etc etc etc. A nice bit of buzz going though fluff.

What you do not want is for a simple fluff post to get out of hand and turn into negativity, across platforms, in its various forms, as it has here. That is simply put bad social media management.

Anyone who has a bit of experience in this should be able to read the room and should be able to know how to prevent the impression than any athlete is being excluded (it's particularly bad in the case of their only gold from last time, Hanyu but he is not the only person who is missing, who is a big name right now in Japan, and who was mentioned in regards to this tweet).
By clarifying these are Symbol Athletes, you are also explaining how these particular ones were chosen, that there is no disrespect meant to others and that you are in fact extending this to everyone, through them.

They didn't do this, so they paid the price. Next time, hopefully someone who has a bit of knowledge about these things will handle future posts.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No, it changes. The names you see there, or athletes really, are it.

And you're hopefully not employed in social media management either.

From the point of JOC, and it's not a minor organization either, when posts of these types are made, the goal is pretty clear. You want to generate some positive talk, in various ways - support for these athletes, which further on leads to support for all of them, and Japan, in the upcoming Games; congratulations for the new year, etc etc etc. A nice bit of buzz going though fluff.

What you do not want is for a simple fluff post to get out of hand and turn into negativity, across platforms, in its various forms, as it has here. That is simply put bad social media management.

Anyone who has a bit of experience in this should be able to read the room and should be able to know how to prevent the impression than any athlete is being excluded (it's particularly bad in the case of their only gold from last time, Hanyu but he is not the only person who is missing, who is a big name right now in Japan, and who was mentioned in regards to this tweet).
By clarifying these are Symbol Athletes, you are also explaining how these particular ones were chosen, that there is no disrespect meant to others and that you are in fact extending this to everyone, through them.

They didn't do this, so they paid the price. Next time, hopefully someone who has a bit of knowledge about these things will handle future posts.

Hm, I don't exactly see how distinguishing them as Symbol Athletes would have helped... if anything, IMO, it would have added negative fuel with people saying these athletes are getting preferential promotion over other athletes; people would have still flamed the JOC and argued that Hanyu (and other high-profile athletes not in this post) should still be included.

It is understandably a sensitive time for many folks, and so it's not surprising that some might misconstrue a simple New Years greeting :)rolleye:!) as some grievous slight against Hanyu and other prolific athletes whose images weren't included. Stuff like this happens whenever a favourite/popular athlete(s) isn't included in promotional imagery... and, of course, in Hanyu's case, it is compounded by frustration over his injury and withdrawal from Nationals. So, social media backlash like this is inevitable. Evidently, Kuyashii can turn Kuh-razy real quick, as some of the more aggressive social media responses to this incident have been. :sarcasm:

Perhaps JOC's followup handling of it could have gone better -- but really, there isn't much you can do to assuage a Twitter horde that feels wronged... I mean, a single post leading to folks blowing things out of proportion and turning a molehill into a mountain -- why, that's never happened before! :laugh:

And, really, what is the JOC supposed to do now -- include Hanyu's/other high-profile athletes' names and faces in all Olympic-related communications from here on out, lest they risk facing a wave of backlash from sensitive folks who insist that they must have some presence in each and every post? Or apologize every time they make a post that leverages Symbol Athletes - when they are literally the specific athletes designated to be used in images for their Olympic communications (they are called *Symbol* athletes after all, and these Symbol Athletes have been announced as such for a while -- for almost a year now!).

The JOC having to walk on eggshells to satiate an ultra-sensitive, ever-present social media mob is ludicrous. After all, having a subset of your social audience controlling your content and censoring yourself to pander to them IS considered "bad social media management".

But the thing for the JOC to remember is that these are just "dozens and dozens" of folks, who are merely just a subset of your audience, and if you can't reason with them then it might be best to simply dismiss/ignore them; they'll eventually give up and slink away to other social forums to grumble about you -- but, hey, at least you stuck to your guns. ;)

I agree We are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here.

As for the twitter-savvy of the JOC, the same way that you figured out why the Happy New Year card was not throwing shade at Hanyu, other twitterers can figure it out, too. If they want to get mad instead, that's on them.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I'm sure Yuzu has other things on his mind than whether or not he is included in a tweet. He is not short on the support and encouragement he needs which is all I care about. Just hoping he is starting off the new year feeling good and recovered :pray:.