Ilia Malinin | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ilia Malinin

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I've seen both take offs in slow motion, there were few pictures but now I'm sure these were real 4As. He was well in the air after ½ rotation.
On landings (at normal speed) it's just an impression but the second one looked less underrotated than the first one.
I hope he stays safe and gives attention to all his skating, not only jumps! I'm not the right preacher because when I started ballet I'd have done only jumps, I understand well the attraction of them, both the feeling during take off, during rotation, it must be inebriating, and comparatively, learning skating skills seems dull, also it's not rewarded nowadays, but scoring may become more accurate in the forthcoming years, and if by then he doesn't have good skating skills, it'll be lost — I mean, I hope he'll have many years of competitive career at top level. Not to speak of popularity. Medals don't bring popularity, beautiful skating does, even casual viewers feel the difference. (Of course I'm not at all speaking egoistically because as a public I wish to watch beautiful skating, I hope you're not suspecting me.)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina Edmunds' podcast episode featuring Ilia is linked below.

Caught my attention: The 4/4 combinations are just for fun - they don't make sense in the context of a program. The 4A is NOT just for fun. He plans to put it in a program.

Also: He's shooting for a free program with 7 quad jumping passes. That would mean ALL the quads, with one repeated.

The link: https://bleav.com/shows/bleav-in-figure-skating/episodes/getting-to-know-quad-god-ft-ilia-malinin/
Oh boy. As much I'm for quads (For both men and women), I hope he knows his limits and knows when to sub out for a triple.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

Caught my attention: The 4/4 combinations are just for fun - they don't make sense in the context of a program. The 4A is NOT just for fun. He plans to put it in a program.

Also: He's shooting for a free program with 7 quad jumping passes. That would mean ALL the quads, with one repeated.

The link: https://bleav.com/shows/bleav-in-figure-skating/episodes/getting-to-know-quad-god-ft-ilia-malinin/
I can't wait! Tbh, as long as he lands 4A in a competition, I am going to be ecstatic. Hopefully, he starts the year slowly and builds up to 7 quads by the WC. Can't wait to see which GPs he is going to get.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't wait! Tbh, as long as he lands 4A in a competition, I am going to be ecstatic. Hopefully, he starts the year slowly and builds up to 7 quads by the WC. Can't wait to see which GPs he is going to get.
He says he has music for next season, but didn't disclose what it is.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh boy. As much I'm for quads (For both men and women), I hope he knows his limits and knows when to sub out for a triple.

You should listen when you get a chance, @cheerknithanson although Ilia speaks like a teen: the "uhs" and "you knows" fly thick and fast, and this is not at all a criticism, he sounds like an all-American teen. :)

TBH, I skipped some of it (I don't care when anyone got their double lutz, no disrespect to Ilia) but I enjoyed the non-jumping part, how his family is friends with Raf and that's why he goes there, that he attends public school (YES! I am a huge fan of that decision) and even the Olympics decision (although Polina had to somewhat pull that out of him). Very informative.

All the jump videos are a calculated move: he knows what the people want and he plans to deliver. :biggrin:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You should listen when you get a chance, @cheerknithanson although Ilia speaks like a teen: the "uhs" and "you knows" fly thick and fast, and this is not at all a criticism, he sounds like an all-American teen. :)

TBH, I skipped some of it (I don't care when anyone got their double lutz, no disrespect to Ilia) but I enjoyed the non-jumping part, how his family is friends with Raf and that's why he goes there, that he attends public school (YES! I am a huge fan of that decision) and even the Olympics decision (although Polina had to somewhat pull that out of him). Very informative.

All the jump videos are a calculated move: he knows what the people want and he plans to deliver. :biggrin:
Hey, I still say "You know" and I'm 9 and a half years older than him lol. I do wonder if Ilia will apply for colleges in the DMV.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker

Yes it makes much more sense than to have a program with a quad-quad and then, have to jump a triple-triple combo because you have exhausted all the existing quads; unless you're sure that you'll get negative GOEs, as GOEs are proportional to the base value of the first jump in a combo.
And in the Short, there can be only one quad in the combo. I don't think it's about to change at next ISU congress, or the quad-quad combo would become the "it" factor for the Short and I do believe he would be able to skate a Short Program with a quad-quad if it were allowed. Deserving positive GOEs is something different but at his age, of course, one thing at a time. Also, I don't know at all his capacity to do anything else than jumps in such a program. Once again, he's so young, and he's a teen, which means that things can change fast in a way or another and back.

Natashajane

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Since Midori Ito was the first to do triple-triple and 3A, it makes sense Ilia would be able to land quad-quad and 4A. The main issue I see is focusing on actually winning competitions. I think Yuzuru sacrificed his prime to win medals. He could never be okay with being off the podium. Only now, towards the end of his career is he really YOLOing. As someone has said on reddit Yuzuru hasn't been able to make his rotation efficient enough and jump high enough to land the 4A and it is too similar to his 3A. Ilia's 3A looks like it goes up in a smooth curve, while he gain a lot of height immediately for his 4A.
I don't think Yuzuru's career is at all over just yet! He (and his jumping) was looking very good indeed at Faoi.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't think Yuzuru's career is at all over just yet! He (and his jumping) was looking very good indeed at Faoi.
Look, I've been following most of Yuzu's senior career. I'm not saying he can't skate all the way to thirty, but the window for landing a rotated 4A in competition is closing. Yuzu has majestic breathtaking jumps, but I don't think his technique has fundamentally changing over the years to squeeze in an extra rotation. It's also become harder for him to hold onto his jumps as he lands them with each passing year. This is from someone who has spent countless hours exclusively watching his competition programs and jumps. I've rooted for his every attempt at the 4A and watch every practice clip of it, but I'm just being realistic in saying that Yuzu might not land a fully rotated 4A in competition.

journalist101

On the Ice