Japan Open - more entries announced

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Sad tweet from Jeremy:

Jeremy Abbott
‏Verified account @jeremyabbottpcf
5h5 hours ago

To everyone in the audience today I must apologize. I skate every step to give you a wonderful experience. I want to give you the best that I have every time. Today was my worst & for that I’m sorry. I will work harder to give you what you all deserve! Always with all my love! ❤️

Oh..and congrats to Alina. She is on track to have a great season.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Deniss Vasilevs

4T turned into 2T pop, STREAM FROZE. Camel spin with nice layover positions. 1A pop. Nice 3F+1Eu+3S combo. Another 3F, not a great landing. Double-footed 3Lz, likely <. Nice combo spin. Good energy through footwork, could have better edges. Great combo spin to end the program.

Not really sure about the rest of the program, missed two jumps because of the stream freeze.

Score: 129.32

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott

2Lz+2T pop to open. Step-out on the 3A. Good positions in the flying combo spin, not that centered near the end. 1F+1Eu+3S pop, 3S might be <. 3Lo with a struggle on the short landing. 1A+2T pop. Interesting sliding movements on the blade in the footwork. 1Lz pop. Better 2A. Nice twisted sit position in the spin. Good centering on the final spin.

Not that surprised by all the pops given that he's not in competitive shape really.

Score: 124.06, 45.70 TES, 78.36 PCS

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Nobunari Oda

Great 4T+3T to start! Great 3A+1Eu+3S as well! Good speed through the combo spin. Fun step sequence, could havee more speed. An another great 3A from a tough counter. Good rippon 3Lz. Solid 3Lo with good flow. Solid 3F+3T combo and a clean 2A. Death drop into a sit spin with good low positions. Nice YMCA choreo through the spin, lol.

Wow, wonderful technique through the program. That's the way I like it, indeed! He's actually ready for competition? Is this a comeback? Wouldn't that be exciting if he did?

Score: 176.95, TES 92.45, PCS 84.50

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Javier Fernandez

Doing his La Mancha routine, I see. Low landing on the 4T but completed (looks double-footed). 3S+2T, intended 4S. Turn-out on the 3A+3T, struggle with the 3T landing. Nice speed through the sit spin. 1A pop. 3Lo+1Eu+2S out of the ina bauer. Wild lean on the 3Lz, so a low landing, not sure how he didn't put his hand down or foot down. Easy 3S out of nowhere. Nice spin right into the step sequence. Good combo spin to end, running out of energy a bit but done.

Well, the program definitely looks truncated with 30 seconds taken out. I wonder if he'll keep this program if he does choose to come back for Europeans.

Score: 157.86, 70.06 TES, 87.80 PCS

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Nathan Chen

3Lo pop, intended 4Lo. 4Lz, hard fall on it. Nice and easy 3F+3T. Nice 3A as well. A little wobbly on the change of foot in the camel spin. Nice sensitivity through the step sequence. Alright 4T, a little scratchy on landing. Wild lean forward on the 4T, fall. Tried for the 4S as well, another fall though, just not enough strength in the landing leg at this point. Alright spin to follow but a much better ending spin.

Tough falls this time around, but he's trying a lot of tough elements in this routine. I mean, he could technically go for a 4Lo, 4Lz, 4F, 3A, 4T, 4T combo, and a 4S. He's shooting for the stars with this program. I do like the added sensitivity to the program and his haircut to reflect that change a bit.

Score: 144.96, 66.32 TES, 82.64 PCS, -4 Deductions

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Shoma Uno

4S, looks double-footed and turn-out. Hard fall on the 4F attempt. Better 4T. Good speed through the flying camel, and right into another spin with fairly good centering. Good 4T+2T to follow. Spread eagle into a great 3A. Great speed going into the 3A+1Eu+3F combination, tough and gorgeous. Nice 3S+3T, a little slow on the 3T landing. Good accents on the music through the step sequence, like the illusion and ina bauer. Better centering on the combo spin than I'm used to seeing from him.

This Moonlight Sonata program is rather open and simple for Shoma but it allows him to gather the necessary speed to get those quads and 3As done with high GOE which is what matters more in this system. This should be a great vehicle for him this season.

Score: 186.89, 98.25 TES, 89.44 PCS, -1 Deduction

Danny T

Medalist
Wow, I think Shoma's FS is ... emptier than Nathan's?

Welp. At least have the decency to do YMCA hands while skating on two feet, boys :laugh:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Mariah Bell

1A pop, eek. Good 3S right into a very fast combo spin. 3F+3T, fall on the 3T, almost made it around. Quick changes of position in the spin. Light step sequence with good choreography, edges could be stronger. 1A+2T pop. 3Lz+1Eu+2S, rough landing on the 2S. Better 3F with good flow-out. Strong 3Lz as the last pass. Great spiral position and split jump in the choreo sequence. Great speed throughout the layback spin.

A few pops on the Axels and a fall on the combo, but this program has good choreography for her and shows off more of her maturity. It must have been a bit rough with the jet lag from Nebelhorn. An okay outing for her this time around.

Score: 120.57, 60.26 TES, 61.31 PCS, -1 Deductions

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Kaori Sakamoto

Stream froze... :slink:

Finally back with a spiral sequence, a little slip on the catchfoot. 3S, landed forward, so will be downgraded. Nice flying spin with fairly good speed.

Replay shows very good 3F+3T, 2A+3T+2T combo, 3Lz+2T (maybe < on 3Lz).

Score: 130.28, 64.90 TES, 65.38 PCS

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Masha is very elegant, but her permanent problems with jumps still holds her too low.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Maria Sotskova

Fall on opening 3Lz, ouch. 3Lz+1T combo, unbalanced on the 3Lz, maybe two-footed (looks < on replay). Step sequence is a bit slow and the edges are fairly shallow. Better 2A+2T right into a back entry combo spin with nice layover position, average speed. Clean 2A out of a turn. 3F+1Eu+2S combo, awkward 1Eu. (Stream froze again. Replay shows hand-down on second 3F.) Very slow combo spin, just didn't carry speed from the flying entry. Okay spiral into a layback spin with with a good Biellmann, not sure if she achieved the layback though.

Very unsure about this jazzy Summertime rendition for her. It just makes her seem slower than she really is and doesn't have a lot for her to emphasize or accent. Not a strong program nor great choreography.

Score: 111.78, 49.35 TES, 63.43 PCS, -1 Deduction