JGP Riga Cup Men FS Aug 29 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

JGP Riga Cup Men FS Aug 29

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Must have been really close because a tenth of a point difference amongst so many judges is a pretty good indicator that they were close. Maybe not similar but close. Deep edges is one of like 11 factors.

Hmm, thanks. It seemed to me that Deniss showed more mastery of multi-directional skating, varied speed etc too. However, my feelings may have been clouded by performance whereas all I can remember of Dmitry's was his admittedly excellent jumps. I will have to go back and watch again later.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kevin and Alexei were Polar opposites on the protocols. Alexie scored pretty poorly on PCS while Kevin had 2 full on ( e ) calls on his flips and a UR'd jump in combination. IIRC he had a 3F(e)-3t>> that wound up being around 3pts. So he lost like what...nearly 7pts on one jump pass. :eek:

I didn't actually see the skates yet but judging by the protocols Kevin performed the program better with some lackluster TES while Alexei scored considerably well TES while underperforming his choreography. Is this a fair characterization? I always find it interesting to see a program thru the protocols and then actually watch it.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Kevin and Alexie were Polar opposites on the protocols. Alexie scored pretty poorly on PCS while Kevin had 2 full on ( e ) calls on his flips and a UR'd. IIRC he had a 3F(e)-3t>> that wound up being around 3pts. So he lost like what...nearly 7pts on one jump pass. :eek:

I didn't actually see the skates yet but judging by the protocols Kevin performed the program better with some lackluster TES while Alexie scored considerably well TES while underperforming his choreography. Is this a fair characterization? I always find it interesting to see a program thru the protocols and then actually watch it.

That is pretty spot on Sam! I too perferred Kevin's performance, but his lower BV (no 3A) meant he had to be pristine. Alexei made
some glaring and costly errors with the 4Lo and 3A, but he did pull off a second half 3A ans 3-3-2 combo and was ok on the other jumps to make up some of the - GOE.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm, thanks. It seemed to me that Deniss showed more mastery of multi-directional skating, varied speed etc too. However, my feelings may have been clouded by performance whereas all I can remember of Dmitry's was his admittedly excellent jumps. I will have to go back and watch again later.

If it's comforting at all Deniss had a StSeq4 while Dmitry had a StSeq3. This gave Deniss a 1pt advantage and even though he had the harder level of Steps he still got the highest GOE I saw given out to anyone :thumbsup:

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Faves by far were Deniss and Kevin. Honourable mentions to Petr and Sena.

:agree: I also really enjoyed Dmitri and Se Jong.

Saw a video where Sena says he looks up to Dai. Hoping he'll one day develop Dai's superior performance ability.:)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i cant say i love the program but Dmitri was excellent technically and very well deserved win!
i lovee Deniss his personality and joy but that costume has got to go! fall on 3A was hard but i am glad he kept it together, and almost hit the boards :hopelessness:
i always admire skaters when they alter their layout after making mistake, it was the case for Sena, he missed 3T after 3Lz and added it to 2nd one, he popped 3S to 2S (my guess is he was planning 3S2T) after that he added another 3T to his 2nd 3S, thats what makes you good competitor, and Yuzu's costume was a plus :laugh:
how about Petr: Mr Tano? he is my new Russian love :love: i hope he wont lose his flexibility cause his positions in the spins are just amazing!
i enjoyed Kevin a lot too! i cant wait to see him more and more consistent

HanDomi

Record Breaker
This one arm over the head jumps looks totally awfull. Some jumps with both arms over the head looks cool, but with one arm is just awfull, awfull :disapp:

Nice job by Aliev, but program is empty sadly as in all Russian men programs. I wonder when they are going to workout that to make succees in seniors they need both jumps and presentation :think:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Nice job by Aliev, but program is empty sadly as in all Russian men programs. I wonder when they are going to workout that to make succees in seniors they need both jumps and presentation :think:

This is nonsense, I'm sorry. This meme needs to die.

As soon as Petr gets a 3A and quad, I'm positive that he will be criticized just like all the other Russian men for having "no presentation" and "empty" choreo...even if he changes absolutely nothing else. I'd like to know what is so "empty" about the program Konstantin skated the other day...or Mikhail Kolyada. What are they lacking? Be specific.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
What is nonsense ? Russian school focuses mostly on jumps, but presentation is lacking a lot there

It's a very lazy and outdated generalization which only applies to some programs by some men.

Look at Dmitry's programs from last season and try to tell me he has no presentation ability.

Last edited:

shmay

On the Ice
I don't have a problem with Aliev and Vasiljevs receiving comparable marks for SS...but Vasiljevs is clearly superior in every other category

HanDomi

Record Breaker
It's a very lazy and outdated generalization which only applies to some programs by some men.
To clarify I don't wanted my comment to sound offensive, it's just my personal view on that : ) Maybe Gumennik will be better in future in presentation from russian men, but Aliev needs a lot of work in this department

shmay

On the Ice
Making generalizations about every Russian skater just detracts from the valid criticism of specific skaters.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
To clarify I don't wanted my comment to sound offensive, it's just my personal view on that : ) Maybe Gumennik will be better in future in presentation from russian men, but Aliev needs a lot of work in this department

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwLEGNKAdkM

What is he lacking here, presentation-wise? I'm not saying he's perfect but he's light years ahead of Kovtun, for example.

And I'm sorry, I do think it's a little offensive when skaters from any particular country aren't seen as individuals with different abilities and strengths.

Last edited:

madison

Record Breaker
I don't have a problem with Aliev and Vasiljevs receiving comparable marks for SS...but Vasiljevs is clearly superior in every other category

I don't agree with that. Most probably Vasiljevs received slightly higher marks for PCS, having home advantage, but otherwise A.liev has a nicer flow, speed and ice coverage and today had an acceptable interpretation, although i admit he focused more on landing the jumps

adelia

Record Breaker
No offense taken. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how wrong or ridiculous they are. :)

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Okay, I though this was later, missed the entire event, and :cheer: for Dmitri and Dennis! Also, Gumenik is adorable and yay for American JGP medals!

shmay

On the Ice
...today had an acceptable interpretation, although i admit he focused more on landing the jumps

Dear, the entire point of PCS is to prevent skaters from "focusing more on landing the jumps", and to reward those that don't.

The first half of Aliev's program today consisted of quad combo-stroke around-axel sequence-stroke around and touch face-axel-stroke around-lutz combo-spin. He then came to a dead stop that lasted 10 seconds....this hardly amounts to the balanced program construction and choreography that the ISU is supposedly looking for.

Anyway, it's a JGP event, and not really worth spending a lot of time arguing about. Hopefully Aliev's construction, energy, extension, etc. will improve.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
:scratch: Um, why exactly are we going on a Dmitri vs Dennis debate again? (I mean, I agree with most of the points, I just don't think Dmitri was that boring...)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
This one arm over the head jumps looks totally awfull. Some jumps with both arms over the head looks cool, but with one arm is just awfull, awfull :disapp:

yes, I agree with gallavich. this is nonsense--they focuse on jumps, but the programs aren't empty. Dmitri's program is good and you don't forget Dennis's coach is Urmanov, so he learns in Russian school too. Maybe they have no so much TRs as Javi's or Patrick's -sometimes that is annoying you have no time to watch and enjoy the elements- but enough.

---

I enjoyed Vasilyevs most, but I have a weird feeling. Sometimes he is very feminine. Maybe his costume, and movements together..I don't know..I also adore his movement befor the jumps..Very interesting and charming..:love:

Last edited: