Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Another article by Nick McCarvel incl. Kana’s and Dai’s post skate comments:

https://olympics.com/en/news/ice-dance-debut-world-championships-takahashi-daisuke-belong-2022

Interview in English 🤗:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSD0zBXR_jY

RD (with Ted Barton’s commentary):

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

I translated Sigi Heinrich’s and Hendryk Schamberger‘s commentary from German Eurosport – they had a lot of good things to say:
I love their RD this season🥰❤️, so so successful on so many levels… want so much for them to continue

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Maybe it wasn’t a good idea to change the RoLi so shortly before Worlds. They lost so many features due to the lift abort 😢 (it’s weird that none of the commentators I listened to seemed to have noticed though).

That said, their performance was great in both programs, truly a pleasure to watch. Katharina Müller and Daniel Weiss even called their interpretation “in a class of their own”. Louise Walden and Chris Howarth were also extremely taken with them. If the praise they’re getting from so many corners – fans to fellow ice dancers (Asher Hill, Kaitlyn Weaver, Lewis Gibson, Tanith Belbin) to journalists and commentators – doesn’t convince them that they need to continue, then I just don’t know. *no pressure* :wink:

Their comments after the FD give me hope:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
They looked so deflated in the K&C I wanted to give them both a big Hug. :ghug:
They did not have their levels today and the problem with the lift but I don't care
because I thoroughly enjoyed their lovely interpretation of their FD, so beautiful! 😍

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I'm pleasantly surprised that (apart from the RoLi) their levels went up from what we initially saw in the tech box. The twizzles went up from level3 to level4 and the OfSt from level1 to level2 for both of them. 🙂

Still think the judges are stingy with the PCS for Kana and Dai.

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Perhaps, they are in too much of a hurry.
But with such great potential, it is really difficult to evolve gradually without overworking it.

Yup, Marina is extremeley ambitious with them and seems to have a lot faith in their abilities, which is great. :) I keep saying how impressed I am with their ambition - right from their first season their programs were packed with difficult content. Since Kana and Dai gradually grew into it, I think Marina had good reasons to believe they could do even more to facilitate their chances of reaching a top 10 finish. In the end it didn't pay off, but hats off to them for taking the risk! 👍

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
On the 27th and 28th Japanese news outlets published many articles with Kana's and Dai’s thoughts and evaluations post competition – they seemed to feel quite a mix of emotions (understandably). I’m relieved they don’t sound too gloomy and seem to also have taken away good things from their experiences at the World Championships and during this season as a whole. :ghug:

https://hochi.news/articles/20220327-OHT1T51246.html?page=1

Daisuke Takahashi, after the World Championships as an ice dancer: 'I wonder if we were recognised', Kana Muramoto: 'We have the potential to compete with the world'.

27 Mar 2022 21:04

The Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi couple (Kansai University) finished 16th in the ice dance at the Figure Skating World Championships (Montpellier, France), which closed on 26th. They gave an interview overnight onsite on 27 March.

Muramoto returned to the World Championships for the first time in four years, while Takahashi had switched from singles to ice dance after a nine-year absence. They were aiming for a top ten finish, the highest for a Japanese team, but they fell just short. Looking back on their world competition once again, Takahashi said: “I was not satisfied with my performance, but to be in this kind of ranking, we could have been a little bit higher if we had performed perfectly. Looking at the results now, I think that we have been recognized/noticed as an ice dance couple," he said, while Muramoto added: "I frankly feel that we as a team have the potential to compete with the world.

Takahashi said that he also felt the height of the world's wall again after watching the performances of the final group at this competition, and added: "The leeway, the speed, the power and the finesse. I knew that these are the top teams.

The couple are currently undecided about next season, but are due to meet in April to discuss their plans.

https://www.fnn.jp/articles/-/338114

The pair of Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi finished 16th at their first World Championships.

Monday 28 March 2022, 11:45am

World Figure Skating Championships 2022 in Montpellier, France.

The pair of Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi competed in the ice dance free dance on 26 March, finishing 16th with a total of 164.25 points.

[Daisuke Takahashi: I realised that I lack many things to compete on the world stage.]

- Now that you've finished the free programme, how do you feel frankly?

Muramoto:
(Looking up) We made a few too many mistakes, too many small ones. Things were going really well until about halfway through, but the new lift changes were not timed properly since this morning's practice, so we had to check, and from there, we lost each other's breath little by little. We made some mistakes that we don't usually make, so I'm really disappointed that we couldn't put it all together in the end, and I don't have the right words to describe it.

Takahashi: The morning practice itself was really good, but the lifts were difficult to time, and the new lift we put in. Maybe that's where I got stuck, but the six-minute practice wasn't too bad, and I think the high tension of this World Championships stage affected me a bit. After the skate, we talked about it and said, "Well, this is what we are capable of now." But we had practised a lot and we weren't in bad shape, so it's frustrating that we couldn't show the results of our practice. But I think we gave everything in our performance, so I think I realised that we still need to perfect more things to compete with the world.

- It was the first World Championships that the two of you competed in together, how did you feel about this stage?

Muramoto:
If you think about it, this is only our fourth international competition or so, so one thing I really realise is that we simply don't have much competition experience yet compared to other teams. But, in this way, we were able to get an idea of our current abilities and where we stand compared to the rest of the world, so even though both programmes ended in disappointing results, I think that in total it was a great harvest.

Takahashi: Not only at the World Championships, but we were finally able to have a proper competition season together, and I think this experience itself is a very big one. We wanted to get a good result at the World Championships, but I think this experience was even more important for us. Not only at the World Championships, but also this season, there have been so many things, but I think it has been an enjoyable season.

[Kana Muramoto: I'm impressed that Dai-chan was able to come this far in two years.]

- How would you rate yourselves looking back on the road to the Four Continents medal and standing at the World Championships in only your second year?

Muramoto:
It was a very tumultuous time, or rather, a situation where we had to cram and squeeze in the last two years, after years of building up as a team. In that sense, I feel it's amazing that we've been able to achieve so much despite the injuries and other problems. I think people tend to forget that Dai-chan has come this far in just two years from a beginner, from singles to dance, which is really amazing. It's a bit frustrating, but I'm also impressed (laughs).

Takahashi: This World Championships has reminded me that ice dancing is not so easy. It was the first time for me to see the world's top teams live, to experience them firsthand, and although there is still a lot of free skating to do [does this mean “room to grow?], in the Rhythm Dance, in practice, I really felt the wall of the world. In the beginning, we didn't know where we stood, and we started from a place of selflessness, but later, we started to think about how we would perform in the big goal of winning a medal at the Four Continents and a World Championships slot, and then we started to think about what we were trying to achieve, and how we could make it happen. I realised once again how difficult it is to perform under pressure. In many ways, it made me realise once again that I have gained a lot of experience.

- What do you think about the future?

Muramoto:
Right. We have to talk about it, but first we have an ice show in Japan, so we have to discuss it (laughs). Maybe we both know what we want to say.

Takahashi: For now, I'll just relax (laughs). I feel like I've been rushing around for the past two years, so I need to give my mind a rest. Whether I continue or not, it's not like I'm starting all over again, but I need to unwind. Both physically and emotionally, I am not that young (laughs). I'd like to take some time off and think about it.

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/othersports/figure/2022/03/28/post_34/index.php

Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi make no statements about next season. When told "We want to see more", Takahashi said: "I accept the words."

Text by Komiya Yoshiyuki

[Competing against the world's best: 'We know where we stand']

During the post-competition mixed-zone interview, a foreign journalist asked Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi a question and then passed on a message: "(Choreographer) David Wilson told me: “I'm really sorry I can't meet you, but please do your best!”

The unexpected message caused Takahashi, whose expression had been slightly stiff, to lose his composure [loosen up?]. He responded to the journalist in frank English: “Say hi to him.” Muramoto, who was standing next to him, smiled as if she was entwined [?], and the atmosphere softened on the spot.

The ice dancers Muramoto and Takahashi, known affectionately as "Kanadai", had just finished their first World Championships as a team.

25 March, Montpellier, France. At the World Championships in ice dance, Kanadai met the world's top athletes. It's been two years since the couple formed, and for Takahashi, it's been two years since he switched from single skating, so standing there was an accomplishment in itself.

It's strange sometimes to be skating with [Dai Takahashi], and I feel so happy." Muramoto says sincerely. "When they call his name 'Daisuke Takahashi' in the five-minute practice, everyone knows Dai-chan as a singles skater. I think it's amazing to be able to skate with him. I'm really happy to have skated with Dai-chan at the World Championships in ice dance."

In the Rhythm Dance (RD), Kanadai fascinated the world with 'Soranbushi & Koto'. The exotic rhythms of hip-hop overlapped with the vitality of the fishermen and the grandeur of the sea. “The programme is not only flashy, but also profound", explained Takahashi, while Muramoto spoke of the "hidden thoughts of the Japanese people that they do not reveal", which were embodied beautifully. In terms of programme components alone, they were 12th, showing their superb skating.

However, they had some omissions compared to their best ever Japanese scores at the NHK Trophy and the Warsaw Cup, and their score itself did not improve.

I was too motivated to score [well] because the performance in the first half was so good," Takahashi said. He pursed his lips as he said this, “but the second twizzle came undone.

The second twizzle was a big part of my mentality: I kept getting into and out of it (in practice), and it became an anxiety factor without me knowing it. I wasn't able to do it the same way every day. When I got to the venue, I wasn't in bad shape (but) I thought, this is the World Championships."

They came 15th in the RD with 67.77 points. Not a score to look down on. Making it to the Free Dance (FD) is a definite gain compared to previous results of Japanese athletes.

And on 26 March, Kanadai once again expressed their world view in La Bayadere, [which they used for the] second year in the FD. As a ballet piece alone, everything was graceful from the hand movements to the free leg, and there was an euphoric harmony.

The reason why their performances have been particularly well received/highly evaluated abroad is the deep edges, angled body tilt, and the harmony of their nerves down to the fingertips. It is easy to see when it comes to photography, it is beautiful as a picture. It has a vibrancy that sounds and seems to start moving.

However, there was a difference in experience between the couple's second year and their first, and they struggled to reproduce the technical aspects. For example, the rotational lift couldn't get the level. It was not easy to earn GOEs (Grade of Execution points) and the score was only 96.48 points.

[Being able to compete with the best in the world gave us a real sense of where we are in the world.]

As Muramoto says, the two have moved into a new phase. “We had a good rhythm and free dance in practice, so I felt confident going into the competition," she said. “But in reality, we missed a lot and made mistakes in the competition that we don't usually make. As a team, the World Championships made us realise how inexperienced we are in competitions."

Kanadai's continuation in the competition is currently a blank sheet of paper.

They finished with a total of 164.25 points in 16th place. Scores and rankings are important only in competition, and mistakes need to be improved. But again, in their case, they have only been together for two years and deserve a medal for standing on that stage.

Takahashi: “The World Championships have just finished, now I don't want to think ahead, I want to enjoy the competition, I've been rushing around for two years, so I’m going to give my feelings a holiday (laughs). I'm going to think it over there."

When asked if he would continue ice dancing next season, Takahashi declined to say, but he has put in two years of his best.

I started from zero and had nothing but growth. Last season I didn't really feel like an ice dancer, but this season I think I've become one. Throughout the season, I had swings where I felt confident and where I didn’t. I don't know what the future holds, but I think I still have a lot of potential, and I'm not at 100% yet."

His departure is currently a blank sheet of paper.

One thing is certain: they have created a sensation in the sport. The benefits they have brought to figure skating as a whole, by increasing the popularity of ice dancing, are immeasurable. In just two years, they have opened the door to the world.

“Many people want to see the/your continuation of ice dance. It would be a shame for this to be the end!” I said to Takahashi, when I was in the venue where the heat of the World Championships still lingered.

Thank you. I'll accept your words and listen to them (laughs),” he replied in his usual cheerful voice.

“(The same thing) is being said by everyone around us, isn't it?” next to him, Muramoto laughed at Takahashi.

The two are expected to make a decision after their triumphant appearance at the ice show from 8 April.

All translations by DeepL/Google translate.

While the SOI shows in Hachinohe were cancelled due to aftereffects of the earthquake, Kana and Dai have just been added to the cast of the Osaka stop, which means we get to see them again sooner than expected (the shows already start next Saturday)! :party2:

https://figureskate-soi.com/2022/skaters.html#news0328

Saved from Kana’s insta stories (posted after the conclusion of the competition) 💕:

Ayumi Takanami was rooting for them 🤩 (I hope she finds a new partner soon):

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Sorry for spamming – there’s so much content at the moment! :dbana:

Dai is active on ig again! Before heading to Japan for SOI Kana and him went sightseeing with Wakaba (“Team Puma”) in Montpellier:

https://imgur.com/a/bEnhgwN

From Yuma’s ig account. It seems Team Japan flew back home via a German airport (the clue is on the board to the left saying “Bundespolizei”):

https://twitter.com/eri_dosanko/status/1508748131717943297

From Kana’s ig story – Kazuki sat with her and Dai on the plane 🥰:

Upon arrival in Japan:

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports...m_medium=social&utm_campaign=nikkansports_ogp

https://twitter.com/skatingjapan/status/1508745785575280642

Most importantly Dai-chan posted a message, expressing his gratitude to Kana, their coaching team and everyone supporting them throughout the World Championships and the past two seasons:

Thank you for your support at the World Championships!

I wasn't happy with the result, but my first World Championships as an ice dancer was a valuable experience!

And it's been almost two years since I started ice dancing, and although I didn't achieve my goal of going to the Olympics, these two years have been a lot of hard work, but more than that, they have been two years of great things!

I wouldn't have had this experience if Kana hadn't invited me and if a lot of things hadn't come together. I would not have been able to come back to the World Championships again. I once again realised how lucky I really am! LOL.

Thanks to Marina, the team, the staff, the federation, the sponsors and everyone who supported us, we had a fulfilling time! Thank you so much!

As for the future, I have been rushing around for the past two years, so I'd like to take some time to calm down and think about it! But whatever decision I make, I feel that as a skater I am still in the process of developing!

I'm going to push forward honestly with my feelings, so please continue to support me!

Thank you!

Several of their rinkmates left affectionate words and Lewis Gibson posted a ❤️. They are truly so beloved. 🤗

https://imgur.com/a/akSg7l2

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
From Kana’s ig story – Kazuki sat with her and Dai on the plane 🥰:

This is so cute. I read today that it was Daisuke who gave the idea to Kazuki to use his luggage as a prop for his 'Bills' gala (for context: Kazuki didn't have his EX costume and briefcase because he had come directly from another competition, so he had to improvise).

Thank you, Dai-chan! Really appreciate how Dai and Kana support everyone in Team Japan.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Kana’s and Dai’s RD and FD at Worlds without commentary (thank you so much to the uploader! :pray:):

RD: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x89e1em

FD: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x89lncw

A couple of great pictures taken at the last RD pratcice before the competition on the 25th:

In his Worlds recap Jackie Wong mentioned three id couples outside of the podium: F/G, H/B and M/T. This is what he said about Kana and Dai:
Jackie: And then lastly I wanna talk about Muramoto/Takahashi, who made their Worlds debut. 16th, it was not where they wanted to be, they made mistakes in both programs, didn’t feel that it was as comfortable as they’ve been with these two programs this season. But hey…Daisuke Takahashi…in person! I’ve been live at competitions since 2014 and so I’ve never actually gotten to see Daisuke skate in person before. I have said “hi” to him when he was like a tv commentator, but I’ve never seen him skate live and it was such a privilege to be able to do that. They said after their FD that they will make a decision on wether or not to continue probably some time in April. We all know what the skating world would like to happen. And what was interesting about that was…I think they said something to the extent of “we probably know where we’re leaning toward, but we still need to decide”. So, I don’t know what that means, but I hope they’re leaning toward continuing…at least for one more season. And by “at least for one more season” I mean for at least four more seasons.

Tara: Right. That’s how this is gonna work, right? They’re not allowed to leave yet. We just got a chance to know them as ice dancers.
Source: https://icetalk.libsyn.com/a-week-of-wonder-2022-world-championships-recap (timestamp: 01:07:05)

SOI updates:

The Osaka shows are done. Kana and Dai alternated between “You are the reason” and white “Soran Bushi”. According to fan reports they adapted the choreo of the latter to fit the smaller rinksize at the Ractab Dome (e.g. they performed the twizzles diagonally instead of along the side of the rink) and they got standing ovations for their performances.

ETA:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Thanks synes for all the updates, much appreciated!🌺 I see Dai finally got a haircut. I miss the clips we used to get of him at the hair salon.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
In this SOI promo video Dai says that they will perform “You are the reason” for the last time in the upcoming Tokyo shows:

Partial translation by igs: https://twitter.com/soranbushis/status/1512102608487518215

Now this information gets interesting when it’s pieced together with a news bit revealed by Ayaka Hirahara in this recent interview for Sportiva on her experience of working with Kana and Dai for Hyoen:

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/contents/entertainment/2022/04/08/post_4/index.php

For those, who don‘t remember: Ayaka played the double-role of Kiritsubo/Fujitsubo in “The tale of Genji” and wrote and sang the theme song for “Luxe” as well as provided most of the live singing throughout the show. Aside from speaking fondly of Kana and Dai and their kind personalities, she revealed that Dai approached her to make a recording of the chanson “L'Aigle noir” (The Black Eagle), which Kana and Dai skated their duet to in “Luxe” (also sung live by Ayaka) with the purpose of using it as an exhibition piece. She says she is looking forward to recording the song for them.

In conclusion it seems that Kana and Dai are planning to continue working together beyond SOI in one way or another and that they are putting into practice what they already aluded to in their interview for Quadruple Axel last June:

--On that note, your performance of "The Black Eagle" in the show was fantastic. The two of you worked perfectly together and I'm looking forward to next season even more.

Kana: "The Black Eagle" is what LUXE is all about, isn't it? There was Ayaka-san's (Hirahara) live singing and Dai-chan's skating. The people who saw the show said, "We want this to be an exhibition".

Daisuke: First of all, we have to get Aya (Ayaka Hirahara) to make a CD! Or else we won't be able to make it an exhibition! (laughs)

The first of the four Tokyo shows is about to start now. There is a live broadcast, so a video of Kana's and Dai's performance might surface soon. :pray:

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
KanaDai fluff + Soran Bushi from yesterday's Tokyo show ( :thank: to the kind uploader!):

I'll see, if I can upload all of their performances on google drive tomorrow, if nobody else does. Today they did YATR in the matinee show (it's probably going to be Soran Bushi again in the evening - starting in half an hour). During today's intermission their Osaka performance of Soran Bushi was shown (my favourite of their SOI performances so far :giggle:). Yesterday it was their Osaka performance of YATR.

They wore their Bayadere costumes during the finale today.

ETA:

Soran Bushi (8 April) in better quality :pray::

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
As promised :) (you can select up to 1920x1080 resolution from the menu at the bottom / loading the videos might take a bit / if they don't load, you can also download them (click the ⬇️ in the upper right corner)):

Newly added:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Thank you synes! I see they have their La Bayadere costumes on in the clip of the final in Tokyo.
I did not realize that they skated their FS. Can't wait to see it.

Last edited: