Ladies SP | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

shallwedansu

On the Ice
Thank you and ITA.. I could not have said it better myself.
I thank Oleada as well for the entire post. Really couldn't have said it better myself.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the comment about knowing how to work the system a little insulting. It's like saying she's succeeding so well because she knows how to milk the code and not because she's a great skater. She's a close to perfect example of how a skater should combine athleticism and artistry to truly reflect figure skating as an artistic sport.

Maybe if Yu-Na was representing the US she would have more fans??

fourclover

On the Ice
I thought it was a pretty exciting competition. Who would've guessed Mao would place behind Caroline? I actually thought Caroline skated more mature than the "toddler"-like skate I was used to seeing from her. Yu-na might have been technically nearly perfect and maybe theatrically spot on with the music but I could sense the nervousness from her. She no longer skates like she used to when she skated to Moulin Rouge in Skate Canada - with abandon and without a care in the world where she places.

Anyway, there are so many competitors nowadays who can be on the podium. Aside from Yu-na and Mao, Carolina, Joannie, and don't forget Caroline Zhang, Rachel, Ashley, and Mirai for next year.

oleada

Record Breaker
Yu Na seems to have plenty of fans judging from the reaction from the arena. :laugh:

I agree about working the system. She is a great skater who would have done well under 6.0, too. But being able to work the system to your favor is part of skating - there's just no way around that. All top skaters do.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
hehe. I didn't even start actually watching the comp. until the group with the Americans came on. Before that, I decided to watch my recording of 24 instead. At least that has thrills in it :laugh:

Aw. Ana Cecilia Cantu skated the Beetlejuice program. It was pretty good, you missed out. Too bad you'd have to sit through like 20 bad skaters to see it... unless your IceNetwork player allows you to fast forward? (Mine sure doesn't.)

USFS can't do anything. The Nationals are the qualifying comp and what's done is done.

And that's why they'll be pulling their hair out. :rofl:

I find the comment about knowing how to work the system a little insulting.

I find the code of points system insulting. As well as anonymous judging, cookie-cutter programs, and the relegation of artistry to a fudged, mysterious sub-component of one half of the score. Touche?

Last edited:

fourclover

On the Ice
I thank Oleada as well for the entire post. Really couldn't have said it better myself.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the comment about knowing how to work the system a little insulting. It's like saying she's succeeding so well because she knows how to milk the code and not because she's a great skater. She's a close to perfect example of how a skater should combine athleticism and artistry to truly reflect figure skating as an artistic sport.

I bet if Yu-na was representing the US, she'd be on the cover of the People magazine, a guest on the Today show, invited to the presidential inauguration, press coverage reminescent of Nancy-Tonya days...

ks777

Record Breaker
I may be biased against Yu-Na, however, it's not just cause she beats our faces in. Mao usually beats our faces in too, but I think Mao has much better artistry. Artistry used to count. It still counts with me, even if it doesn't count on the podium. I really like the programs Mao has done lately, last season's especially. And yes, the rankings MIGHT not be much different in this situation under 6.0, but my point is that someone like Yu-Na (shouldn't we type Yun-a? But I digress...) can break records with a program that a lot of people find to be boring. It just highlights the flaws in CoP. Skating should be judged, not calculated. Yun-a is the master of the calculating system of CoP. If you happen to like her, well, good for you.

I'll say this to her credit... I like Yun-a's skating significantly better than I liked Shizuka Arikawa. So if Yun-a tops the podium next year in Vancouver, I won't be as nauseous as in 2006.

Yes, I loved Mao's both SP and LP last season but I hate them this season. How can you say Yuna's SP boring? Her 3-3 is the best in the world and she skates really fast. I would agree if you were talking about Carolina Kostner who has no artistry whatsoever in my eyes.

wow, so you don't like Arakawa either. Shizuka is one of my favorites!!! Who is your favorite skater then? Sasha Cohen?

Chipotle88

Spectator

That is exactly what I thought. Some posters here only care about the skaters from their own conutry, which is not too unusual, but hey. Yu-na could have been a bigger star than Kwan if she were American.

And I can't imagine how Caroline or Rachel could have gotten a better score than Yu-na even under the old 6.0 system.

Medusa

Record Breaker
And how badly our girls will have to do to get us ONLY A spot?!?!?!?!??!!
Oh come on, there is just Kostner, who can very well place higher than the US-girls. Meier is a huge question mark. Lepistö can't seem to find her toe jumps and always makes at least one more mistake in the LP. Pöikyo lacks stamina and reputation. Leonova is much too unexperienced...

The two spots are in the bag, I wouldn't be surprised if there will be 3 spots at the Olympics for you.

The girls would need to place 13th and 14th to get 2 spots. They will do that.

fourclover

On the Ice
...my point is that someone like Yu-Na can break records with a program that a lot of people find to be boring. It just highlights the flaws in CoP. Skating should be judged, not calculated. Yun-a is the master of the calculating system of CoP...

Wow, I thought Yu-na is the most versatile, artistic skater out there. Maybe you don't like the kind of music she skates to. I don't like her music, Danse Macabre, this season myself. I always liked lyrical or easy-on-the-ears familiar classical music Mao skates to. I don't know why Yu-na's camp can't come up with decent music for her. I would love to see Yu-na skate to music like Somewhere in Time (Ashley's Wagner's SP) or Oblivion Tango (Fumie's SP or LP last season). Here's an exhibition by Yu-na dubbed with Yunona I Avos music and I would love to see her skate like this more than skating to hard galling music like Danse Macabre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OannoAyFzQ4

But I do give credit to Yu-na for trying out different kind of music each year rather than sticking to the same type of music.

indicatoto101

On the Ice

I'll say this to her credit... I like Yun-a's skating significantly better than I liked Shizuka Arikawa. So if Yun-a tops the podium next year in Vancouver, I won't be as nauseous as in 2006.

Many skating fans also find Michelle Kwan boring, but it doesn't make her any less artistic to her fans.

In COP, yes, points are calculated at the end, but individual elements are judged. The computer didn't determine Yu-na's score, the judges did.

ANW

On the Ice
LP starting order out

Mao 1st int he last group, really really bad for her

Wrlmy

Medalist
I adore all three of Sasha, Michelle, and Shizuka. I must have a really bad taste in skating:laugh:

turtle

On the Ice
I must be the exception then. I'm a Shizuka fanboy.

You're not the exception. I also thought Arakawa was the clear winner then. No controversy whatsoever. I'm surprised that anyone could possibly object to her winning let alone use a strong word like nauseous about it.

oleada

Record Breaker
Wow, I thought Yu-na is the most versatile, artistic skater out there. Maybe you don't like the kind of music she skates to. I don't like her music, Danse Macabre, this season myself. I always liked lyrical or easy-on-the-ears familiar classical music Mao skates to. I don't know why Yu-na's camp can't come up with decent music for her. I would love to see Yu-na skate to music like Somewhere in Time (Ashley's Wagner's SP) or Oblivion Tango (Fumie's SP or LP last season). Here's an exhibition by Yu-na dubbed with Yunona I Avos music and I would love to see her skate like this more than skating to hard galling music like Danse Macabre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OannoAyFzQ4

But I do give credit to Yu-na for trying out different kind of music each year rather than sticking to the same type of music.

For what it's worth, I'm loving Yu-Na's music choices a lot this season. She's very good at bringing intensity to a program and Scheherezade and Danse Macabre let her do that. I think her best programs are to strong music - these two, and her Tango de Roxanne. She's strong while still being very feminine. Her facial expression and use of arms in all these programs are great.

It's not like she can't do lyrical - her lark ascending was fantastic, as was her exhibition the year she won JW (it's a particular fave of mine). But I think Danse Macabre/Sheherezade/Tango de Roxanne suit her best.

I didn't like her programs last season at all.

As for Mao, I am not too concerned about her. She always skates great when she's behind. Her LP from the GPF final last year was fantastic.

And even if she does poorly here, I'd rather her bomb 4CC than Worlds.