Ladies SP | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

Particle Man

Match Penalty
How can you say Yuna's SP boring? Her 3-3 is the best in the world and she skates really fast.

Wait... what? I don't think we look for the same things in a program. A 3-3 is a significant technical accomplishment, but it doesn't make a program "exciting." Maybe a 7-clean-triple program is "exciting" in its way, but it's not what I'm talking about here. Skating fast does help with excitement, yes, and I certainly can't say she's slow. But for a program to be exciting to me, it has to succeed not just technically but artistically - even moreso artistically, in fact. It has to tell a story. It has to evoke emotion. I just don't get that from Yun-a. I can't really pinpoint why, but it's not because she's a rival and it's not because she's asian. I loved Mao's programs last year and I usually love Fumie's as well.

I would agree if you were talking about Carolina Kostner who has no artistry whatsoever in my eyes.

I don't get that either. I like Carolina a lot, and I find her more interesting. I see a lot of really precise and graceful movement in her programs. I think if she had a more ballerina-like figure, she would get more credit for that. Although I do agree with those who say she has sometimes been overmarked. Notably when she was unfairly placed above Yukari, I believe at last year's Worlds. That was ridiculous.

Who is your favorite skater then? Sasha Cohen?

You got it.

turtle said:
I also thought Arakawa was the clear winner (in Torino.) No controversy whatsoever. I'm surprised that anyone could possibly object to her winning let alone use a strong word like nauseous about it.

You misunderstand. Of course Arakawa was the clear winner in Torino. She skated clean, she did lots of triples. Her artistry was ... competant, I guess. She won under CoP, she would have won under 6.0. I have no problem with the podium results. I love Sasha to death, but a 2-mistake program shouldn't win the Olympics (even though it very well could under CoP) and I'd have been upset if it did.

What was nauseating to me was just the fact that it simply HAD to be that way -- that what I saw as essentially an unremarkable technical skate was the unchallenged winner of the OGM. It was the reality of CoP finally hitting home - even though, as I said, Shizuka would have still won under 6.0. Maybe it doesn't make direct logical sense, maybe it was more symbolic than literal.

fourclover said:
Maybe you don't like the kind of music she skates to.

This is possible. I was tearing up at Jessica Kurzawski's Romeo & Juliet SP tonight, even though I called it "another hacked-up, aimless edit of R&J." :laugh: I figured I was just having flashbacks to Torino. Maybe if I don't like their music, I don't give them credit for expressing it. I don't know.

Oh, and on the topic of (asian) music, check THIS out. It's actually a track from a game I got on clearance for $4 called MahJong Century. A little bit repetitive, but I still think it's awesome. There's enough original parts for it to be edited into a great short program, I think. Does anyone recognize it as an actual, real piece of music?

Last edited:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I like Yuna's SP much better than Mao's. I am a Mao fan but her programs this season does nothing for me. Mao is just out there skating to gather points. I don't feel like she is expressing the music at all. Yuna might not have the best spirals or good flexibility but she still express the music better than Mao.

I have to disagree. I think Mao improved this season, especially with her long program. Not necessarily at this particular event, but at the GPF and Japan Nationals, her performances were breathtaking. She does have a lot more incorporated into them this season, but I don't think that means she is just trying to gather points. Earlier this season, she expressed the music beautifully and her choreography was well-matched and seemed to come from the heart.
Yuna, on the other hand, does seem a bit superficial to me. I really don't feel any happiness, or anger or anything when I watch her programs. I just see a very well-choreographed program. I am really surprised at the results, but I think Mao is still the overall best skater.
I love Yuna to death though, and want her to succeed.

Last edited:

Tigger

Final Flight
I can't believe I'm the first Canadian skating fan to say this this morning, but I am, so... :biggrin:

WAY TO GO CYNTHIA AND JOANNIE!!!!

Especially Cynthia. I had tears in my eyes after her skate and after seeing her in third in the standings. She has gone through so very much the last few years and I am so very thrilled for her. She's still working on her confidence, but I finally saw that fire back in her eyes tonight. Here's to a great LP tonight for both Cynthia and Joannie!!

Oh and unless Toronto's been moved to BC, Yu-na trains in Ontario. Not BC. Also there's a very sizable Asian population in the Vancouver area, so it's not a big surprise that Yu-na and the Japanese ladies are getting the responses they are from the crowd. :)

cosmos

On the Ice
does seem a bit superficial to me. I really don't feel any happiness, or anger or anything when I watch her programs. I just see a very well-choreographed program.

That is exactly what I feel from Mao and many other skaters, but not from YuNa.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I may be biased against Yu-Na, however, it's not just cause she beats our faces in. Mao usually beats our faces in too, but I think Mao has much better artistry. Artistry used to count. It still counts with me, even if it doesn't count on the podium. I really like the programs Mao has done lately, last season's especially. And yes, the rankings MIGHT not be much different in this situation under 6.0, but my point is that someone like Yu-Na (shouldn't we type Yun-a? But I digress...) can break records with a program that a lot of people find to be boring. It just highlights the flaws in CoP. Skating should be judged, not calculated. Yun-a is the master of the calculating system of CoP. If you happen to like her, well, good for you.

Of course I'm stating the obvious, that artistry is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm just the opposite. I honestly don't think I've ever made it through a Mao LP without fast forwarding. She bores the snot out of me. But I'll watch Yu-Na over and over. There are times when she could show more facial expression, maybe, but I think Mao is (or at least used to be) much more expressionless. But YuNa conveys emotion to me through her choreography extremely well -- the arm movements, positions, etc.

That said, I'm in the I-hate-COP camp myself. It's just turned most programs into completely boring exercises, not performances.

Last edited:

skateaug

Rinkside
Congratulations Yu-na! What a wonderful performance!
I usually prefer lyrical programs but Yu-na's Danse Macabre is just amazing.
I also loved Cynthia's program. She's very mature and expressive.

McWicked

On the Ice
Oh come on, there is just Kostner, who can very well place higher than the US-girls. Meier is a huge question mark. Lepistö can't seem to find her toe jumps and always makes at least one more mistake in the LP. Pöikyo lacks stamina and reputation. Leonova is much too unexperienced...

The two spots are in the bag, I wouldn't be surprised if there will be 3 spots at the Olympics for you.

The girls would need to place 13th and 14th to get 2 spots. They will do that.

Well, thanks for replyin but last time Alyssa was at worlds she ended up 23th??? And that year she had won the free skate at nationals. Sorry if i dont completly trust her, and my 2 spots hopes seem to be goin away when i think of how many -GOES will Rachel get, since she flutzes. Can you all picture a next nationals in which every girl will compete for a single spot??? SCARY!!!

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
I enjoyed the clip of Yu na Kim but iam waiting to see both Joannie and Cynthia, especially Cynthia as i have not seen her skate as well for ages. I really hope someone puts up a clip as iam not able to see cbc as iam outside Canada. I miss being in Canada.

Well, thanks for replyin but last time Alyssa was at worlds she ended up 23th??? And that year she had won the free skate at nationals. Sorry if i dont completly trust her, and my 2 spots hopes seem to be goin away when i think of how many -GOES will Rachel get, since she flutzes. Can you all picture a next nationals in which every girl will compete for a single spot??? SCARY!!!

The exact rule is, if you have two skaters the sum of their placements must be 28 or lower to get two spots next year (13 or lower for three spots.)

If your country has three skaters, only the placements of the top two count in determining the next year's allotment.

If your country only has one skater, that skater must place in the top ten to get two slots for the next year and must be in the top two to get three slots. Every country gets at least one no matter what.

Alissa finished 15th at Worlds in 2007. If she does that badly this time arund, the USFSA will be kicking itself for not sending Bebe instead (10th at 2008 Worlds). ;)

Last edited:

flying camel

Medalist
This is not good guys. This is very disappointing for the US. I'm scared for the LP. Is it too much to ask for skaters to go to a competition and land the jumps?

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That said, I'm in the I-hate-COP camp myself. It's just turned most programs into completely boring exercises, not performances.

Me, too. Watching the ladies last night was completely boring. I hate the ugly catch-foot spirals that everyone--and I mean everyone--does. (At least Alyssa does hers backwards and does a Charlotte-type move on the forward one) I also hate the labored step sequences. Step sequences used to have the potential for an explosive and exciting impact--think Yagudin or Kwan's Tosca at US Nationals. Now they are just a bunch of twists and turns with flailing arms. And I won't even get into the wacky spins. There is too much sameness in all of the programs. Even Yu Na's performance, great as it was, was just a perfectly baked cookie from the same cookie-cutter.

jumpjumpjump

On the Ice
oh god.. alissa.. please don't fall, don't fall, don't fall at Worlds this year.... it's hard enough to get three spots already. and Alissa just keep falling.

I still think the best choice for USFSA is to send Rachael and Caroline to Worlds.. but oh well, that can't be changed now. just don't fall.. alissa!!

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
oh god.. alissa.. please don't fall, don't fall, don't fall at Worlds this year.... it's hard enough to get three spots already. and Alissa just keep falling.

I still think the best choice for USFSA is to send Rachael and Caroline to Worlds.. but oh well, that can't be changed now. just don't fall.. alissa!!

is your nick-name an incitement to Alissa?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I'm so glad Caroline is in the final group. ( Slow and steady wins the race? :biggrin: ) If she can hold onto 5th, and skate in the exhibition as the top American lady, she will have tons of momentum going into Junior Worlds.

This is not good guys. This is very disappointing for the US. I'm scared for the LP. Is it too much to ask for skaters to go to a competition and land the jumps?
I'm sure the US can handle defeat as well as victory in any sport and in a graceful manner. It's not the end of the world.

It is difficult to land jumps in competitions as one could see in Mao, and she is a first class skater. Once the little tykes grow up, the nerves become a reality.

gold12345

Medalist

It's just one short program. Not that I expect Alissa to become a consistent skater or anything, but her messing up in this one short program doesn't mean she's never going to skate well again. She's hot and cold, and unfortunately mostly cold. Caroline did well, and Rachael didn't score that badly considering the error.

Not to make excuses or anything, but these skaters are barely a week removed from competing at a mentally draining National Championships. If they don't skate all that well here, I don't think it's the end of the world. They have a lot of time to get focused for Worlds.

figuristka

Medalist
I just noticed it said over 27,000 views on this thread. guess some of us still like figure skating which is nice to see. Just wish more tv showed it live as other sports.