Ladies' SP | Page 67 | Golden Skate

Ladies' SP

yangjie

On the Ice
In Russia people say that Yuna, Flatt, Rochette, Kostner, Finns were overscored and Japanese underscored. How come Miki has the same scores as Flatt (doing even worse than her)? Commentators said: "Sarah Hughes FOREVER"...so sad!

It should have been a battle ending in a very close skating of Yuna, Mao and Miki and now left empty hearts...
Yuna - definately gold, Mao - has a chance to take a silver but a single flaw and she'll be underscored and Rochette will be put forward. SHE IN NO WAY DESERVES TO GET THAT SCORE, IT'S A SCANDAL!!! IT'S A MATTER OF SPORT, NOT PERSONAL LIFE ISSUES!!! They left no chance for Miki...

It's Olympic medals and not giving credits to countries..So sad for those who are talented and robbed(((

V/M really TRULY DESERVED THE GOLD, the only fair judging in the most subjective category.

i think russian understand what figure skating is.

yu-na was overscored and ando was underscored.

as weir said, there are the politic in figure skating.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I can say with confidence that Korea loves Yuna enough to forgive her even if she doesn't win gold - they'll be disappointed, but they will appreciate everything she's done for the country so far (she put Korea in the figure skating map) and they'll just let it slip because they love her so much (they may blame judges or whoever else in the process). Some of Korea's love for Yuna has something to do with the fact that so many people discovered the delight of figure skating for the first time through Yuna - that's not something Mao can say. I can't say with confidence that Japan will forgive Mao if she doesn't skate perfectly like she did today. I may be biased, but I can't forget how cruel Japanese were to Miki after Torino - I've never seen any country turn its back to their own athlete like that (even though the athelete didn't do anything wrong). Again, these are just my observations + opinion.

I don't know about the situation w/ Yuna, but I've seen how people here turned against Miki so fast and so cruelly. I really really want Miki to medal here for that reason.

stickle

Rinkside
I'm still wiped out by Joannie's program. Even at the best of times she's a fabulous skater with wonderful lines and interpretation of the music, and if she can land her jumps I've always thought she was the best skater in a competition because of the maturity of her skating, but tonight there was a presense holding her up. I don't think I've ever been so moved and when she was so brave trying to hold herself together at the end, I lost it. I wonder how she'll be possibly be able to manage tomorrow night. This must have been excrutiatingly emotional for her tonight and will she have anything left for the long? My heart and all of Canada's hearts and all of figure skating fan's hearts will be with her, as they were tonight, but I just can't see how she'll be able to do it again. I hope she does but I think it will be too much for her. I think it would be too much for anyone.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wonder how she'll be possibly be able to manage tomorrow night. This must have been excrutiatingly emotional for her tonight and will she have anything left for the long?

I thought something similiar - how is she going to keep it TOGETHER for the long... it's almost twice as long and she was having a hard time in teh spiral sequence :cry:

My heart and all of Canada's hearts and all of figure skating fan's hearts will be with her, as they were tonight.
sadly not all seem to have as much understanding (judging by this thread), but certainly the vast majority do.

bmelanie

On the Ice
I can say with confidence that Korea loves Yuna enough to forgive her even if she doesn't win gold - they'll be disappointed, but they will appreciate everything she's done for the country so far (she put Korea in the figure skating map) and they'll just let it slip because they love her so much (they may blame judges or whoever else in the process). Some of Korea's love for Yuna has something to do with the fact that so many people discovered the delight of figure skating for the first time through Yuna - that's not something Mao can say. I can't say with confidence that Japan will forgive Mao if she doesn't skate perfectly like she did today. I may be biased, but I can't forget how cruel Japanese were to Miki after Torino - I've never seen any country turn its back to their own athlete like that (even though the athelete didn't do anything wrong). Again, these are just my observations + opinion.

As a Korean, I'm probably biased toward my own people, but I do agree wholeheartedly with what you've said here. A lot of Korean online message boards were extremely concerned about the immense amount of pressure Yuna has been subject to, and I've seen multiple posts saying they don't care whether or not Yuna gets the gold medal, to them she'll still be the best and they just want her to be happy. There was also a great deal of anger and lashing out toward some journalists who had tracked down the hotel where Yuna was staying and written articles about the location. Huge and marketable though Yuna is as a commercial sports celebrity, she is also just a girl sincerely loved by her compatriots, and one of the reasons Brian Orser is so revered and respected in Korea is because of his attitude: to make Yuna a happy skater.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
As a Korean, I'm probably biased toward my own people, but I do agree wholeheartedly with what you've said here. A lot of Korean online message boards were extremely concerned about the immense amount of pressure Yuna has been subject to, and I've seen multiple posts saying they don't care whether or not Yuna gets the gold medal, to them she'll still be the best and they just want her to be happy. There was also a great deal of anger and lashing out toward some journalists who had tracked down the hotel where Yuna was staying and written articles about the location. Huge and marketable though Yuna is as a commercial sports celebrity, she is also just a girl sincerely loved by her compatriots, and one of the reasons Brian Orser is so revered and respected in Korea is because of his attitude: to make Yuna a happy skater.

I agree with everything you just said, opinion-wise. I also don't like how the media uses Mao and Yuna in their political wars, which is a shame 'cause they're very courteous to each other from what I hear.

RumbleFish

Rinkside
I really don't understand these comments about being over scored and wuz robbed cries.
The judging tonight was as sound as how skaters delivered their performances.

Yu Na stood up against all the pressure and delivered her stuff. What a competitor!
Joannie had lots of intricate transitions and wonderful choreography, not to mention her great skating skills.
Rachel Flatt did her planned jumps and showed lots of character and spirit.
Mao Asada showed great improvements in her presentation and nailed her triple axel. Really deserved a big score IMO.
I also thought Leonova improved her skating greatly in such a short time period and rocked it with her facial expression.
Miki was under huge pressure to deliver her 3-3 but lacked speed from her 1st combo unfortunately.

I am extra thrilled for Ksenia Makarova, Min-Jung Kwak, and Mirai Nagasu, who will ensure that next Olympics in Sochi will be just as exciting as this one.

Nadia01

Final Flight

I saw those photos & articles. I found the journalists extremely crass, rude and obnoxious. They need to respect her privacy.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Can we stop talking about nationalities or other stuff not related to Ladies' SP? Just make another thread and debate there..

cocopuffs

Spectator
Nadia01, that's how journalists are in Korea, but the fans are much scarier.

Miki Ando's performance tonight was a disappointment and I know she can do better.

Last edited:

stickle

Rinkside
I thought something similiar - how is she going to keep it TOGETHER for the long... it's almost twice as long and she was having a hard time in teh spiral sequence :cry:.
I'm worried for her. I know myself, if I've had an extremely emotional experience and cried my eyes out, I'm just tired. I'm empty, I'm flat, I'm running on fumes. I'm very worried that that's how it's going to be for Joannie tomorrow. She must have cried buckets in these last few days and only her incredible Olympian spirit held her together and gave her the strength to go out and do what she did tonight. At some point she's going to hit a wall. Maybe, just maybe, her training and her desire will allow her to dig deep again and she'll be able to hold it together for one more performance.

David Pelletier said when he was commentating on the pairs program that the multiple splats in the long might have been caused by them not having a day off between the short and the long. He said the day after you skate competitively and give it everything you have, your legs are dead. This may be a problem for all the ladies, but on top of that. will Joannie be able to find any emotional strength to pull her through? My heart will be with her tomorrow night. As emotionally invested as I was in her program tonight, I think tomorrow is going to be even more so.

Moxie

On the Ice
David Pelletier said when he was commentating on the pairs program that the multiple splats in the long might have been caused by them not having a day off between the short and the long. He said the day after you skate competitively and give it everything you have, your legs are dead. This may be a problem for all the ladies, but on top of that. will Joannie be able to find any emotional strength to pull her through? My heart will be with her tomorrow night. As emotionally invested as I was in her program tonight, I think tomorrow is going to be even more so.

There is a day off for the ladies. LP is on Thursday.
I am hoping for Joannie that all the love she gets through the arena and all over the world is enough to pull her through. Also, I think she is a stronger person than anyone suspects.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Someone brought this up before and I'll answer now as I did then: the skaters are used to skating day after day. They do it in senior Bs, GPs, Worlds, Euros/4CC. If anything a day off between segments is more unusual for them and one can only hope the ladies will handle it well. The SPs are cleaner because there are fewer opportunities for mistakes and because it's easier to get through a shorter program in terms of the stamina required.

Maybe David Pelletier just had conditioning issues that made this a problem for him in his career?

Either way, good luck to all the ladies in the free skating!

mark1715

Spectator
Really?

66 points for Miki for an underrotated triple loop that she almost fell on? The TF also looked underrotated too and even the 2A, but that was harder to tell without any superslow on it. I think the judges gave her the benefit of the doubt on the TF. Her spins really didn't compare to a lot of the others in the top 10 or so -- did you see Mirai's? Wow! She can do better for sure -- her jump height is great -- but she didn't do it in this program.

I hope Miki does a great FS. I think she has a strong, powerful ability like Evan when she skates that can be exciting to see.

Good luck and strength to Joannie too.

akoko

Rinkside
I don't know about the situation w/ Yuna, but I've seen how people here turned against Miki so fast and so cruelly. I really really want Miki to medal here for that reason.

I'm Japanese. I'm absolutely sure that Japanese will forgive Mao even if she does not get a medal. Disappointed? Yes. But would not mad at her. Mao is well loved. The reason why Miki was treated cruelly was (partly, at least) because she was not in good shape in that season, unfortunately coinciding with the timing when Mao emerged from nowhere with the astonishing performance. But the the points she accumulated in the previous year(s) allowed Miki to go to Torino, while Mao could not enter the competition due to the underage issue. Japanese felt so disappointed in the fact, despite the Olympics rules. If there were no Mao, (sad to say as a Japanese though) Miki would have been treated better even after the failure in the Olympics. In addition, Miki is not good at expressing herself and tends to give a wrong impression. In contrast, Mao has a lovable personality and is a very hard worker. Japanese just love her no matter what. Don't worry. Mao would not be treated like Miki. But my favorite is Miki. All the pressure lifted, thanks to Mao, I hope she delivers her best performance in FS.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I'm Japanese. I'm absolutely sure that Japanese will forgive Mao even if she does not get a medal. Disappointed? Yes. But would not mad at her. Mao is well loved.
... In contrast, Mao has a lovable personality and is a very hard worker. Japanese just love her no matter what. Don't worry. Mao would not be treated like Miki. But my favorite is Miki. All the pressure lifted, thanks to Mao, I hope she delivers her best performance in FS.

Those two quotes make me happy. :)