Laura Barquero tests positive for banned substance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Laura Barquero tests positive for banned substance

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As You Can See, being tested for PED's is not just an offense against Russian Athletes. It took me a while to find these highlights but, THIS was the match where Serena was literally hunted down and tested at her sister's house 3000 miles away from her home. She is certainly in great shape but, when you've played at a high level for decades that's what your body looks like. She said it was a humiliating experience but, I guess she can't say "I'm on vacation with my sister and you can test me when I get home"
No, you have to give them hour by hour blow by blow of where you are going to be, per Adam and other elite athletes I have heard talk about it.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Another attempted deflection, as usual, but are you trying to claim there's been enough study of trimetazidine to show both that it's not effective for doping and that it's also not dangerous to otherwise-healthy 15-year-olds? If so, point us to the studies.
2 things based on what I've read...
  • Re: doping, Trimetazidine doesn't actually enhance performance. Its benefit is to increase endurance, which could help an athlete to train longer/practice more, as opposed to helping them to jump higher, skate faster, etc. (That doesn't make any difference to WADA but I felt the need to point it out...probably because of too many years working with lawyers ;)).
  • Even if it isn't dangerous, a healthy 15-year old shouldn't need it. And if they really do need it for medical reasons, they probably shouldn't be skating, at least not at an elite level that requires intense training.
We can talk about this until next Christmas but at the end of the day, TMZ is still a banned substance. That's the bottom line.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If a substance is on the banned list and an athlete has been found to have ingested that substance, that athlete is subject to censure. The grandaddy's cup explanation on Kamila's behalf is nonsense. At least the adult athletes in these other cases used the banned substance themselves. I doubt very much Kamila has any idea how TMZ got in her body, so that means someone in her training group or even her family gave it to her. That is infinitely worse.

Amei

Record Breaker
All, please let's keep the discussion focused on the thread topic, which is Laura Barquero.

Agree keep the thread on topic, however I think a huge problem for the ISU/WADA is going to be the 2 cases are unresolved at the same time. Now there are some fine details that differentiate the 2 cases (ISU/IOC event vs. domestic event & age) but at the end of the day the greater public is going to see 2 cases of athletes taking banned substances and the governing bodies will have a nightmare on their hands if there is a significant difference in the handling of the cases.

Amei

Record Breaker
The sport involved?

You are aware that WADA looks after anti-doping for every sport in the world?

They don't have a separate set of rules for every sport that they look after. What they do have is a separate set of rules for athletes under the age of 16, which is the age limit for a number of other sports that they look after, and what they do have currently is a loophole that does not require an athlete in that Protected class to be provisionally suspended awaiting the outcome of investigation. However, there is no such loophole for athletes over 16.

They should certainly be able to write a rule that predicates the doping rules are applicable to all athletes of the minimum age for the athlete's sport. So regardless of if its curling, skateboarding or figure skating, etc. everyone is held to the same standard.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
They should certainly be able to write a rule that predicates the doping rules are applicable to all athletes of the minimum age for the athlete's sport. So regardless of if its curling, skateboarding or figure skating, etc. everyone is held to the same standard.
Whether they should be able to do so or not is immaterial. The rules are what they are now and we can only work what with what we have in place at the current time. CAS can only rule on the regulations as they are, not as we would like them to be.

And the rules as they are now say that Valieva can skate at Worlds and Barquero can't.

And frankly, if she was dumb enough to use a steroid cream known to cause doping problems, as an adult in charge of her own decisions, as is now being reported, then she does not deserve to.

mrrice

Record Breaker
No, you have to give them hour by hour blow by blow of where you are going to be, per Adam and other elite athletes I have heard talk about it.
Can you imagine winning a OGM and relaxing at the beach with a family member or friend and having these people show up.

Amei

Record Breaker
Whether they should be able to do so or not is immaterial. The rules are what they are now and we can only work what with what we have in place at the current time. CAS can only rule on the regulations as they are, not as we would like them to be.

And the rules as they are now say that Valieva can skate at Worlds and Barquero can't.

And frankly, if she was dumb enough to use a steroid cream known to cause doping problems, as an adult in charge of her own decisions, as is now being reported, then she does not deserve to.

Did you read the post I responded to that said "WADA actually did their jobs correctly and wrote the rules properly for athletes over the age of 16." --- My response was that doing their job correctly would have meant not putting an age qualifier that doesn't line up with the minimum age for participation in the sport involved. Sure the view could be held that its perfectly okay that an athlete can compete with a different set of rules from everyone else, but in my view that's not doing their job correctly.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Can you imagine winning a OGM and relaxing at the beach with a family member or friend and having these people show up.
all they do is to ask you to pee in a little container... sure... it's annoying but it's not like they search your entire house for compromising details. Athletes have to go through this, they are used to it. Part of the deal...

mrrice

Record Breaker
all they do is to ask you to pee in a little container... sure... it's annoying but it's not like they search your entire house for compromising details. Athletes have to go through this, they are used to it. Part of the deal...
I'm not sure how the testing works. If I was away from home with family, I don't see why they can't text me and say the tester will be there in an hour. At least I could get dressed and tell my family, I'll be back. You have to pee in front of the tester so, I don't see a problem.

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
Really, are we really going to pretend that heart medication in 15 year old body is normal?
Well, according to Travis Tygart she had three heart medications "seem to be aimed at increasing endurance, reducing fatigue and promoting greater efficiency in using oxygen" which is "particularly for a 15-year-old, a pretty deliberate cocktail of substances". Of course, labeling them as such is much more beneficial for antiRussian narration of USADA representative than mentioning that "serious heart medication" L-Carnatine is just harmless sport drinks supplement which can be bought by any kid in every supermarket. If harmless L-Carnatine is called as heart drug - idk if TMZ is really that dangerous.
Most likely both TMZ and Clostebol can be both PE, but it´s very unlikely for a 15 year to take TMZ by mistake.
It's very likely. Because TMZ inhibits beta-oxydation in cells whereas L-Carnatine promotes beta-oxydation. Those substances have an opposite effect - using different methods to help heart which cancel and contradicts each other. There is zero point in using them together. That, and TMZ can have an effect only after two week period of use which implies that (considering very low dose they found) last deliberate consumption should be atleast 24-25 days before (with long period of TMZ consumption high dose of metabolites remains in body for a long time too due to body tissues contamination and protein binding effect) - in other words 25 days +14 days - almost 1.5 months - which is again unlikely because they should be prepared for unavoidable test at GPFinal at the time (about which they couldn't know that it will be canceled). Of course WADA farmacology and biochemistry experts should know that better than anyone - but they don't care. All they care about is a punishment of a Russian skater for a formal violation of rules.
That mindset is what I don't understand and never will. As well as WADA rules punishing athletes with many-years disqualifications even if they could prove accidental usage. The law should exist to punish criminals - thus preventing crimes to occur. Not to punish innocent ruining their careers and reputation. And accidents can't be prevented ever. IMO WADA is given too much power which they started to abuse for their own gains. And the worst of them all - hooting ill-wishers - i.e. the so called fans and even athletes publicly disparaging victims of WADA abuse calling them "unfair doping cheaters". Even if they understand fully what's really happened. They don't care.

reneerose

Final Flight
I'm not sure how the testing works. If I was away from home with family, I don't see why they can't text me and say the tester will be there in an hour. At least I could get dressed and tell my family, I'll be back. You have to pee in front of the tester so, I don't see a problem.
Serious you have to pee in front of the tester?! Wow....makes sense but it's sad sport has even come to this...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Serious you have to pee in front of the tester?! Wow....makes sense but it's sad sport has even come to this...

It's been that way for many years.

No figure skaters, but some stories from athletes about their most amusing experiences providing samples:

reneerose

Final Flight
It's been that way for many years.

No figure skaters, but some stories from athletes about their most amusing experiences providing samples:

I just haven't been reading as much about it until recently, that's sort of why it's looking "new-ish" to me. It's all still just sad though. We'll all end up amateur chemists reading about these metabolites and substances...more than anyone would want to know

Amei

Record Breaker

I know someone that snuck in urine to pass a drug test for their job, so unfortunately there are some requirements that make a third party be present for 'collection' (I've had to do for my job as well, in my case they did give privacy just had to glance to make sure your sample wasn't pre-packaged)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Did you read the post I responded to that said "WADA actually did their jobs correctly and wrote the rules properly for athletes over the age of 16." --- My response was that doing their job correctly would have meant not putting an age qualifier that doesn't line up with the minimum age for participation in the sport involved. Sure the view could be held that its perfectly okay that an athlete can compete with a different set of rules from everyone else, but in my view that's not doing their job correctly.
I wrote the post you were responding to. The point is that regardless, WADA did not write the rules properly. CAS could only rule according to how the rules are written now. Valieva can skate at Worlds. Barquero cannot. And it is not some Russia-bribed-people rubbish that some like you are carrying on with, it is a simple straightfoward reason where the blamed needs to be assigned correctly by skating fans.

That mindset is what I don't understand and never will. As well as WADA rules punishing athletes with many-years disqualifications even if they could prove accidental usage. The law should exist to punish criminals - thus preventing crimes to occur. Not to punish innocent ruining their careers and reputation. And accidents can't be prevented ever.
Do we suggest that it is "accidental" usage when by several accounts the cream, when sold in Italy where the pair trained, has a large warning about it not meeting anti-doping protocol on it?

Or could it be covering for something else?

I will not lie, it is quite grating that Valieva's positive test inspired an immediate response here of "cheating" "doper" "it must be deliberate" etc, even people claiming there should be no allowances made for her age or the abusive environment she is trained in; and yet Barquero gets "how terrible" "it must be an accident" "it must be this or that cream/lip balm/insert silly excuse here" "I hope she is cleared quickly" despite Barquero being a grown adult in a much better environment.

halulupu

Final Flight
Wish her all the best for worlds Guess now she will be able to skate till the investigations on her case is over. Hmm let's say 2-3 years on average.

She probably just used her grandmother's cherry lipstick anyway. Its a well known Spanish competition luck tradition, didn't you know?

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So of course, she will still be allowed to skate at Worlds, correct? That is the precedent that has been set in the Valieva case.
Yeah, they actually look silly if they don't allow Barquero time to figure out whether or not it was a substance in her eye makeup that metabolized, or something. :wink: