Men's Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Well I would have if Tomas had skated better, there's something really weird, maybe he is injured?

More likely he had a career year last season and is destined to come back to earth. Did you really think he would stay at #4 in the World among the current field? :rofl:

sisinka

Medalist
Well I would have if Tomas had skated better, there's something really weird, maybe he is injured?

As I know, Tomas is absolutely healthy. He is not in a good form so far. He had a bad skate at Nebelhorn and Finlandia Trophy. Hopefully he will skate better at NHK Trophy.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
What are you speaking about, Joe? Sergei's technic is great. It is strange to show performance without flip and lutz but the new judging system allows this. If he was able to get such a high score with jumps having lowest base value (3toeloop - 4 points only, 3salchow - 4.5 point....on the contrary 3lutz has 6 points and 3flip 5.5 points), it means he executed it in a great quality.

On the other hand - Sasha Cohen was winning medals having poor jumps sometimes because she did a perfect spiral sequence where she showed her great flexibility....new system allows this.

Thank you for this post, sisinka. :) Yes, the CoP allows it, for sure.

About double axels--the number of them used in the FS is not limited, I believe, and I remember that Lambiel has used multiple double axels in the past to acquire points, with zero triple axels in his program, and triumphed under the new judging system. ;)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Congtatulations, patrick Chan!!! GPF, maybe?

Gauranteed. A 1st and 3rd beat two 2nds. So even if 6 different people won GP events he would still make it as one of those 6, and there is nobody who could win NHK who hasnt won a GP event that has a 3rd yet anyway.

Mafke

Medalist
More likely he had a career year last season and is destined to come back to earth. Did you really think he would stay at #4 in the World among the current field? :rofl:

As scary as it is finding myself agreeing with slutskayafan21, I think this is a very likely explanation. Overall I've never been convinced by his overall technique.

nadster

Final Flight
Thank you for this post, sisinka. :) Yes, the CoP allows it, for sure.

About double axels--the number of them used in the FS is not limited, I believe, and I remember that Lambiel has used multiple double axels in the past to acquire points, with zero triple axels in his program, and triumphed under the new judging system. ;)

That was true until this year. Now you can't have more than 3 double axels in a program. All other doubles are unlimited though.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
That was true until this year. Now you can't have more than 3 double axels in a program. All other doubles are unlimited though.

Oh, thank you for this news, nadster!!! I used to post around that there should be a rule for double axels as there was for triple axels, and I have not checked the new rules for this season. I am delighted that they have made such a rule!!!! In the new rule, do axels done in combinations count against the limit? I wish they had limited it to two non-combination double axels, as they are generally considered less challenging than the triple, and therefore apt to be used to avoid doing the triple.

M

mylastduchess

Oh, thank you for this news, nadster!!! I used to post around that there should be a rule for double axels as there was for triple axels, and I have not checked the new rules for this season. I am delighted that they have made such a rule!!!! In the new rule, do axels done in combinations count against the limit? I wish they had limited it to two non-combination double axels, as they are generally considered less challenging than the triple, and therefore apt to be used to avoid doing the triple.

but still does't double axels still count in the 8 jump limit?

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
After watching this event I tend to think Joubert is not a bad skater at all.

Jasper

Final Flight
Patrick is amazing! He has so much skill, and I'm happy to see jump consistency here and at SA, even with a few mistakes. He's really going to challenge Buttle at Canadian Nationals. Jeff is gonna have to step it up bigtime, get back his jumps, and spin faster if he wants to beat Patrick.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What really makes Patrick superior to Brian is that Chan's skating is SO fluid and he makes skating look easy. He utilizes much greater body mobility like a dancer on the ice than Brian Joubert and he feels his music much better than Brian. Joubert appears like he's fighting to the death on the ice like a gladiator. I prefer Chan's style. He is very much like Stephane Lambiel and Jeffrey Buttle in that respect. All Patrick really needs is to continue on a consistent path and add a quad to his arsenal and he's golden.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Joubert is OK, but Chan's the man! :laugh:

Chan's the man, but Joubert's got all triples (imagine that!), got quads, can deliver under pressure, is elegant, is VERY original in his music choices, rarely pops a jump, his costumes are pieces of art, and he's handsome.... no, he's drop dead gorgeous! :bow:

Or dear Brian, it took me just one TEB to realize all that!

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Patrick has made a huge progress from the last year's nationals. He was fighting to get his 3 flip - 3 toe and 3 axel in his programs and didn't get anywhere. I wasn't convinced of his jumps at all.

The pressure is on for the rest of Canadian men. I am looking forward to the nationals!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chan's the man, but Joubert's got all triples (imagine that!), got quads, can deliver under pressure, is elegant, is VERY original in his music choices, rarely pops a jump, his costumes are pieces of art, and he's handsome.... no, he's drop dead gorgeous! :bow:

Or dear Brian, it took me just one TEB to realize all that!

You are the first person I've EVER seen to label Joubert as "elegant." Just WOW! :rofl::chorus:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Incredible result for Chan. Congratz to him!:biggrin::bow: This win will take him to the final, and make him a major player for gold at nationals. As much as I love Jeff Buttle and Chris Mabee, they're gonna have to look behind them in Vancouver(nats). This kid could take it all, and at only 16. BTW, I havn't seen his program yet. What was it that he fell on? Was it a jump, or something else. And what happened to Chris Mabee? His free was so good at SC.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Incredible result for Chan. Congratz to him!:biggrin::bow: This win will take him to the final, and make him a major player for gold at nationals. As much as I love Jeff Buttle and Chris Mabee, they're gonna have to look behind them in Vancouver(nats). This kid could take it all, and at only 16. BTW, I havn't seen his program yet. What was it that he fell on? Was it a jump, or something else. And what happened to Chris Mabee? His free was so good at SC.

Word on the street is that ChanMan fell on the combination spin at the end. Definitely if he continues on the path he's made for himself this season and adds a quad, he is in the medal hunt at any event. He's already staking his claim for the Canadian title. I love him!! :agree: