Men's Free Skate | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
You are the first person I've EVER seen to label Joubert as "elegant." Just WOW! :rofl::chorus:

I know, that is just :rofl:

Incredible result for Chan. Congratz to him!:biggrin::bow: This win will take him to the final, and make him a major player for gold at nationals. As much as I love Jeff Buttle and Chris Mabee, they're gonna have to look behind them in Vancouver(nats). This kid could take it all, and at only 16. BTW, I havn't seen his program yet. What was it that he fell on? Was it a jump, or something else. And what happened to Chris Mabee? His free was so good at SC.

Buttle will have to look behind him at Chan at Nationals, I wouldnt be at all surprised if Chan steals the Canadian title away. Mabee wont look behind him at Chan, he is looking up at Chan already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ximena

Final Flight
More likely he had a career year last season and is destined to come back to earth. Did you really think he would stay at #4 in the World among the current field? :rofl:
Not nº4 or in the top spots at all, I often tend to watch the skaters at least two season to think if they are going to stick around or they are a fluke (I remember Lezin landing a gorgeous 4-3-2 at TL and now I can imagine most of people don't even remember how Lezin is); but he did one lousy combo, he could have stuck a doble toe anywhere at the end and he didn't, which is why I was asking about his health. But if he had been skating poorly all season long, maybe he's getting more pressure than expected or like a lot of the skaters, he peaks late.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
My question is:

Will Patrick Chan become a big star like Kurt and Elvis and bring the enthusiastic Canadian fans back to the figure skating? I know there are still a lot of former fans who got disillusioned with the judging controversy in 2002 salt lake and don't watch figure skating any more.

Go Patrick bring it on!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Gorgeous, yes, but the time he dressed up as the Santa Maria (or was it the Pinta), complete with ropes and sails... ;)

Aside from his Matrix and Bond costumes I don't think much of what he wears :rofl: I certainly wouldn't call this season's garb gorgeous ;) just recalled ice dance costumes ;)

shine

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan is a ROCKSTAR! :love:

Chan's the man, but Joubert's got all triples (imagine that!), got quads, can deliver under pressure, is elegant, is VERY original in his music choices, rarely pops a jump, his costumes are pieces of art, and he's handsome.... no, he's drop dead gorgeous! :bow:

Er, did you mean Lambiel?

Last edited by a moderator:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Something else really incredible about Patrick Chan in the LP is that he earned a whopping total of 8.8 points on the Grades of Execution on his technical elements. That's really impressive! :love:

Wow, and Sergei Voronov earned an incredible 10.2 points on the GOE. That's massive!

Great work guys!!

Last edited:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Word on the street is that ChanMan fell on the combination spin at the end. Definitely if he continues on the path he's made for himself this season and adds a quad, he is in the medal hunt at any event. He's already staking his claim for the Canadian title. I love him!! :agree:

Thanks. It's a shame that he fell on a spin of all things. He had a similar problem in Paris last year. As for the poster who said that Mabee was already behind Chan, I was referring to how they rank nationally. A consistant Mabee has not competed against Chan yet this season, so I won't be so fast to rule him out. Based on the protocols, Mabee really tanked here.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Mabee bombed his GP outings last year as well and then rallied at Nationals. Mabee tends to pick up late in season. We will see how it goes.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Mabee bombed his GP outings last year as well and then rallied at Nationals. Mabee tends to pick up late in season. We will see how it goes.

Thats what I meant. :biggrin: Actually, he only bombed 1 this year, so I guess we could consider this an improvement. Go Chris!!:clap:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
A consistant Mabee has not competed against Chan yet this season, so I won't be so fast to rule him out. Based on the protocols, Mabee really tanked here.

I doubt Mabee is capable of a 140+ LP internationaly, and that is what Chan has done twice now. Even if Mabee skates his best his PCS will not stack up to Chan.

shine

Record Breaker
Thanks. It's a shame that he fell on a spin of all things. He had a similar problem in Paris last year. As for the poster who said that Mabee was already behind Chan, I was referring to how they rank nationally. A consistant Mabee has not competed against Chan yet this season, so I won't be so fast to rule him out. Based on the protocols, Mabee really tanked here.

I like Mabee, but a consistent Chan will beat a consistent Mabee any day, I'm afraid. Everything Chan does is just of a higher quality. In fact, I don't remember seeing a male skater with such text book technique on just about everything. Now that his skating is recognized and rewarded internationally, IMO there's really nothing that's stopping him from becoming the new Canadian champion at this point.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Interesting thing is, At Skate Canada, Chris proved that he could beat Jeff at any day. The consensus among the audience was Chris should have been placed third, not Jeff.

Who knows? It could be Patrick and Chris going to Worlds, leaving Jeff at home.

Let's hope Canada sends Chan to the Worlds whatever the outcome in their Nats.

IMO, he is that Special skater one sees in the Sport in certain eras (not all of them).

Joe

Big Deal

Final Flight
To be honest, I've never seen Chan before.
He did really impressed me. He reminds me to Lambiel so much. A great quality of skating using his whole body in a very nice and at the same time masculine way.
He definitely will be a real contender to Lambiel, Joubert soon, even if he has not the technical difficulty of them yet.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Congratulations, Patrick! :rock: :bow: What a shame his program won't be televised on Canadian TV. :(

Will Patrick Chan become a big star like Kurt and Elvis and bring the enthusiastic Canadian fans back to the figure skating? I know there are still a lot of former fans who got disillusioned with the judging controversy in 2002 salt lake and don't watch figure skating any more.

I certainly hope so--especially if a great rivalry develops between Patrick and/or Chris, Jeff or any other young Canadian guy waiting in the wings. But as great a skater as Patrick is, most Canadians won't know who he is if events like this aren't televised in the country. :(