Men's Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
On another note I found Abbott's PCS much too low, even though he didnt have a great performance. In fact I find his PCS always too low in general. I feel sorry for him since with Lysacek, Weir, Carriere he might never make it to worlds even if the U.S keeps 3 spots.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brian Orser had a good quote in 94-95 when he commentated for CTV. Regarding certain skaters he said "if you take out all of the jumps what is left". I ask that question about Van Der Perren, if you take out all the jumps what is left? Pretty much nothing of any value would be left, ugly slow spins, slow tedious footwork, heavy and clunky skating.

By the same token, if you take all the non-jump elements out of Jeff Buttle's FS, all you'd have is a skater falling on, falling out of, doubling, frantically trying to save and popping jumps. Not much of any value there, either.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I am so happy for Carriere. Good for him. This should be a very interesting final and grand prix final as well. The world championships should be very interesting.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
By the same token, if you take all the non-jump elements out of Jeff Buttle's FS, all you'd have is a skater falling on, falling out of, doubling, frantically trying to save and popping jumps. Not much of any value there, either.

Hmmmm..... good point.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty

True. :laugh:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Just watched Verner and Takahashi's SPs. I love Tomas Verner's program. The music is creepy though. Don't like Takahashi. Never liked him before, but I won't deny that he has incredible artistic abilities.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hopefully if Verner wins NHK, Van Der Perren withdraws from the GP final with some wierd cold or something so Verner gets to go instead. A skater like Van Der Perren does not belong in that event. He is a wasted spot who lucked out. The spot could actually be used on a good skater instead.

Hmmm. I warned you about bad karma and how the skate gods would be displeased. They have taken their revenge!

Kevin Van Der Perren made the GPF, and should he get "some weird cold or something", Stephen Carriere is the one who gets the spot. Because Carriere has 20 points and beat Buttle in total point count, HE is the #1 alternate and Buttle got pushed back to #2. Verner is #3.

jennylovskt

Medalist
And that's exactly the reason why I'm a fan :)

I am usually a fan of skaters with incredible artistic abilities. But Takahashi's soft hands along with his beard face, Elvis Stojko type body are not fit together. I would rather him skating like a ninja or something. It's just my own preference.

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Hmmm. I warned you about bad karma and how the skate gods would be displeased. They have taken their revenge!

Kevin Van Der Perren made the GPF, and should he get "some weird cold or something", Stephen Carriere is the one who gets the spot. Because Carriere has 20 points and beat Buttle in total point count, HE is the #1 alternate and Buttle got pushed back to #2. Verner is #3.

It is not like Verner was expected to win NHK anyway. I said if he did which was always unlikely with Takahashi there, even after the SP. As it turns out he stated very well and came closer to beating Takahashi then people probably thought he would.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I really love Daisuke's SP!!

But his sit spin is....??? Why does he need to go so much waaaay down and then go up, up, up to the point where it's unusually high? I don't personally find either of them very beautiful. Isn't the normal sit-spin position enough to make the level up?

I also wish that he can get level-4's for his steps in the next events to come:agree: