Michelle Kwan skating at Yu-Na's ice show in Korea | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan skating at Yu-Na's ice show in Korea

fairly4

Medalist
That is the problem with figure skating,
Img and IB should allow skaters to appear in each other shows.
Now it is put up or shut up with the shows in regard to Michelle's skating for the US . In other words , if the US decides to have shows , They have no excuse for not asking Michelle to skate in whether show or tours.
because they ask Sasha img, Paul wylie (when he was in between college) because he was using the money to skate for college) also img skater.
Michelle did because she concentrated on college, but I also remember her letting them know she would like to skate in shows and if not invited, she would start college. Well the surgery, no invitation, college, if they did invite -she knew she wasn't ready.

so to reiterate- if they have them, img /disson should invite her for what she wants.

fairly4

Medalist
i forgot, now you who didn't believe knows it true.
It is in the US papers. (unbelievably-not that it is in the US papers) I just find it unbelievably that fans /figure skating community in general wouldn't believe it unless it hit the US papers.
The us papers didn't really promote the figure skating shows, tours when it was going great in the US. so I can't believe that fans wouldn't believe it when another country promoted it in their korea.
did the us promote the Soi tour in japan, their shows in japan. no, so why now, their are probably a few reason as to why now , but i am not going into them.
apparently figure skating community only wants people who agree with them on their forums and in their seats.

We have to realize the popularity of figure skating today. There just aren't enough of the fans, or curious people interested in seeing a skating show today. It's not like Sonia playing to a crowd for two weeks ever night with matinees on Saturday and Sunday (in NYC). Those days are gone but I believe one could get a decent turnout in MSG for one night. Even Ringling Brothers Circus is losing crowds big time. Much is due to the lack of media information about the personalities. (Maybe if Johnny Weir were dating Madonna, we might get a media blitz and fill up MSG to see him skate his way into her heart.)

Daniel5555

On the Ice
fairly4
It is in the US papers. (unbelievably-not that it is in the US papers) I just find it unbelievably that fans /figure skating community in general wouldn't believe it unless it hit the US papers.
Hey, you don't mess with the US papers.
They are undeniable provider of the Truth!

The us papers didn't really promote the figure skating shows, tours when it was going great in the US. so I can't believe that fans wouldn't believe it when another country promoted it in their korea.
did the us promote the Soi tour in japan, their shows in japan. no, so why now, their are probably a few reason as to why now , but i am not going into them.
Well, that actually is logical. Why would they promote a show that is going in the other country?
On the other hand, believe it or not, we have here in Spain a sports newspaper that is not publishing any news related to the Spanish athletes unless they are associated with the region where this newspaper is distributed. While being totally offtopic, I recall this because I find this as strange as the fact that American newspapers were so slow to publish this news about Kwan.
But maybe they just needed some sort of confirmation, while Korean media already had it.

Skaters will take skate lessons:
9:00 – 11:00 Tomas Verner, Joannie Rochette
11:00 – 13:00 Alexei Yagudin, Sarah Meier
13:00 – 15:00 Qing Pang & Jian Tong
15:00 – 17:00 Jeffrey Buttle, Sasha Cohen
17:00 – 19:00 Frank Carrol, Ben Agosto, Sinead Kerr & John Kerr
19:00 – 21:00 Evan Lysacek, Evgeni Plushenko, Tanith Belbin
Yeah, I would like to take a lesson from Plushenko, but I'm sure that even he wouldn't overcome my clumsiness :)

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Joesitz
Much is due to the lack of media information about the personalities. (Maybe if Johnny Weir were dating Madonna, we might get a media blitz and fill up MSG to see him skate his way into her heart.)
You are right.
The media is more interested in love affairs or dirty scandals instead of something good, like sport.
I find the quality of modern newspapers very low. And that's everywhere - in US, Spain and other countries. Is the same everywhere. I can't talk for everyone, of course, but generally this is true.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yeah, I would like to take a lesson from Plushenko, but I'm sure that even he wouldn't overcome my clumsiness :)

plushenko is réservé pour moi, can you settle with evan please?:biggrin:

EDIT : now it hit me , you called plush clumpsy? :unsure:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz

You are right.
The media is more interested in love affairs or dirty scandals instead of something good, like sport.
I find the quality of modern newspapers very low. And that's everywhere - in US, Spain and other countries. Is the same everywhere. I can't talk for everyone, of course, but generally this is true.

it's about what sells. and by nature, people are more interested in scandal than regular, old "boring" news. Yes, this means credibility drops, but not much we can do, unless we (collectively) lose interest in scandals or relationships or celebrities.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The heck with Plushy and Evan!! If it was me I would take a lesson with Tanith :love: and for once I might actually enjoy dancing a Tango :laugh:

Tanith wouldn't be a bad choice but I'd be concerned about breaking her :laugh: she's sooooo thin

janetfan

Match Penalty
Tanith wouldn't be a bad choice but I'd be concerned about breaking her :laugh: she's sooooo thin

Thanks for the advice, but I will take my chances ;)
She is an athlete and I am sure she is stronger than she looks. And Ben seems to do OK throwing her around the ice. In fact, with the level of my skating these days it would be Tanith who might need to be careful with me :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Dont worry, If tanith throws you for a triple, someone passing by will probably catch you by accident, there will be many flapping arms floating around.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Given my choice, Sarah would be an interesting pick but I'm not sure about the language barrier. Joannie speaks good English though, I've heard her in interviews. :yes:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Given my choice, Sarah would be an interesting pick but I'm not sure about the language barrier. Joannie speaks good English though, I've heard her in interviews. :yes:

My first choice would be Shiz :love:
We better get back on topic. Would you rather have a lesson from Michelle or Yuna?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Dont worry, If tanith throws you for a triple, someone passing by will probably catch you by accident, there will be many flapping arms floating around.

With my luck I would probably get thrown into Evan :laugh:
and his flapping arms are more dangerous than they look. :p

R.D.

Record Breaker
My first choice would be Shiz :love:
We better get back on topic. Would you rather have a lesson from Michelle or Yuna?

Yikes, that's a tough one. I don't skate so I'd have to learn as a beginner. Once I established myself on the ice (i.e. I'm able to stand up, skate around, etc) I'd probably go for MK just because of the language barrier (i.e. she speaks my language fluently while Yuna might have a harder time explaining things). But if I had the opportunity to skate with both of them, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

However, my personal preference would PROBABLY be Yuna (honestly, it would probably depend on the day, that's how close it is). I'd just be concerned that the language barrier would be enough of an obstacle that I'd be forced to choose someone who can understand me and explain things to me in a way I'd be able to understand. (I converse with fellow international students quite a bit so I have some experience.) But if Yuna can do that now, all the better :biggrin:

ETA: I should note that I don't mean this as a diss on Kim. Just what I think would really happen if such an opportunity were to present itself.

How about you? :p

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think between the two he would choose Caroline:p
And you are both out of topic (i m stealing MM's job:p)
:laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think between the two he would choose Caroline:p
And you are both out of topic (i m stealing MM's job:p)
:laugh:

are you referring to ME? as in I would choose Caroline?? :no: can't be. :laugh:

But now that I think about it, CarolinA would be an interesting choice :think: :yes:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yikes, that's a tough one. I don't skate so I'd have to learn as a beginner. Once I established myself on the ice (i.e. I'm able to stand up, skate around, etc) I'd probably go for MK just because of the language barrier (i.e. she speaks my language fluently while Yuna might have a harder time explaining things). But if I had the opportunity to skate with both of them, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
How about you? :p

I would pick Michelle in a heartbeat. As you said, the language would be easier, she is closer to my age, and I watched Michelle grow up on the ice, and have many wonderful memories of her skating.

Plus with Yuna, her mom would probably be there watching which would not be as much fun. :laugh:
Caroline is to young and I would be afraid that if I fell on her I would crush the poor little thing :eek:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I would pick Michelle in a heartbeat. As you said, the language would be easier, she is closer to my age, and I watched Michelle grow up on the ice, and have many wonderful memories of her skating.

Plus with Yuna, her mom would probably be there watching which would not be as much fun. :laugh:
Caroline is to young and I would be afraid that if I fell on her I would crush the poor little thing :eek:

ok, how's this. Get the opportunity to meet Yuna, get an autograph and picture, and then a skating session with Kwan. :yes:

works for me :p

MK wouldn't be my ABSOLUTE first choice out of all skaters, BTW, but definitely the top choice given some of the other names mentioned in this thread...

janetfan

Match Penalty
ok, how's this. Get the opportunity to meet Yuna, get an autograph and picture, and then a skating session with Kwan. :yes:

works for me :p

MK wouldn't be my ABSOLUTE first choice out of all skaters, BTW, but definitely the top choice given some of the other names mentioned in this thread...

With Yuna, it would be great just to watch her practice. I would be happy to have a command performance of her brilliant 3F +3T :clap: :bow:

So who would be your first choice of ANY skater to take a private skating lesson with?