Michelle Should Have Won Bronze!! | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Michelle Should Have Won Bronze!!

Kwanford Wife said:
The ironic thing is that if skating fans really wanted this sport to get popular again, with a lot of positive media attention, we would all be rooting for her to win in 2006 to Bolero. There would be so much money, opportunity and positive spin for figure skating. This country loves an Olympic Moment and what could be more Olympic than Michelle Kwan finally wining that elusive gold medal... and then she retires & the coffers are full & the young girls can begin their olympic cycle... Good legacy for all...
Alas, if only we could influence the sports gods to pay more attention to the bottom line, LOL. We could have New York against LA, the two biggest television markets, every year in the NBA finals, Tiger Woods would win every tournament (ah, the good old days), and Michelle would have three Olympic gold medals already (including the one she got in 1994, according to 78% of us). But nooooo...there's that pesky little part about actually having to perform.:laugh:

Strictly from the promotional point of view, the Olympics laid a mini-egg with Oksana (champion at 16, gone at 17, with interminent "comebacks" on the pro circuit), and a mini-egg with Tara (champion at 15, out of the sport at 21), and -- no offense intended -- a whopper with Sarah (champion at 16, gone at 17). How are we going to make any money off that?

OT on this Michelle thread, but I certainly agree with your earlier comment about Irina Slutskaya's marketability, if she would go for it. I don't know why some U.S. company hasn't snapped her up: "Hi, I'm Irina Slutskaya, world champion figure skater. Here I am in my Avon Beauty Products bubble bath. If you buy Avon Beauty Products bubble bath, you can be as cute as me, and probably skate as well, too." The copy just writes itself!

MM;)

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Mathman said:
Alas, if only we could influence the sports gods to pay more attention to the bottom line, LOL. We could have New York against LA, the two biggest television markets, every year in the NBA finals, Tiger Woods would win every tournament (ah, the good old days), and Michelle would have three Olympic gold medals already (including the one she got in 1994, according to 78% of us). But nooooo...there's that pesky little part about actually having to perform.:laugh:

Strictly from the promotional point of view, the Olympics laid a mini-egg with Oksana (champion at 16, gone at 17, with interminent "comebacks" on the pro circuit), and a mini-egg with Tara (champion at 15, out of the sport at 21), and -- no offense intended -- a whopper with Sarah (champion at 16, gone at 17). How are we going to make any money off that?

OT on this Michelle thread, but I certainly agree with your earlier comment about Irina Slutskaya's marketability, if she would go for it. I don't know why some U.S. company hasn't snapped her up: "Hi, I'm Irina Slutskaya, world champion figure skater. Here I am in my Avon Beauty Products bubble bath. If you buy Avon Beauty Products bubble bath, you can be as cute as me, and probably skate as well, too." The copy just writes itself!

MM;)

Here's another one, Hi I'm Michelle Kwan, Olympic want-to-be, 2005 Worlds Champion want-tobe. Here I am in my Vera Wang costumes, if you can afford to buy Vera Wang like me, you can be as cute as me and everybody will gush over you. They are on sale for, buy one at 50 thousand dollars and get the other one for 40 thousand.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
How about this. Hi I'm Sasha Cohen and I'm just a want-a-be. At this stage in my career any title will do. I am more than willing to relocate........Peru, Egypt, Thailand.............Afghanistan (scratch that i don't look good in a berka)? I'm pretty sure that if Kwan is not there I could be YOUR national champion. I love to shop and would be great for your economy.

millie

Medalist
Piel said:
How about this. Hi I'm Sasha Cohen and I'm just a want-a-be. At this stage in my career any title will do. I am more than willing to relocate........Peru, Egypt, Thailand.............Afghanistan (scratch that i don't look good in a berka)? I'm pretty sure that if Kwan is not there I could be YOUR national champion. I love to shop and would be great for your economy.

How about this"Hi I'm Sasha Cohen, the 2005 World Silver Medal Champion. I worked hard all year to get where I am, a champion. Here's some advice to all the bronze medal want-to-be's, get off your big b--- and work hard and maybe next year you will get a bronze. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hikaru

Final Flight
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MM, Piel, and millie!!! you guys make me laugh so much, thanks!!

so we have Irina with Avon, Michelle with Vera, and Sasha...what is that she sponsors, I think is a brand of watch. What would Shizuka sponsor?? I would say hair products, her hair looks great :)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Mille...just when I thought we could go together to Vera's sale and each pay $45,000.00 for one of those dresses :cry: :cry: :cry: . I'll take any of them except I refuse to wear that day glow yelllow schez dress...yuck!

millie

Medalist
"Hey Guys, this is The KWEEN, thank you GOLDEN SKATE forum, I always wanted my own forum. Thank you for turning Golden Skate into MY KWAN LOVE FEST, I will always be thankfull from the bottom of my bank account to all those fans, over the years who helped me get it to where it is today, thank you, thank you. Thank you for puting all those has been skaters in their place and helping me get to the top. I will always be grateful to you and when I retire, I will be thinking about you when I am enjoying my millions and you are seeking someone to dote over. Until then, Keep on cheering for me. Thank you again Golden Skate for my new forum. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

P.S. Mathman and Piel, you have always been my favorite supporters, thank you, thank you. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Here's a little bit of advice, when I decide to retire, please let me go in peace, you have helped me enough and have given me enough advice.

Last edited:
Actually, I was trying to respond a little bit semi-seriously to Kwanford's discusion of figure skating from the marketing perspective. I think U.S. companies are missing a good bet by not signing Irina up. In figure skating coverage in the U.S. she has typically been cast as the cheerful, friendly "loyal opposition" to the American champion, and has received excellent press here. I think she would be a natural.

Do you remember the ad for banking services featuring Kristi Yamaguchi and speed skater Bonnie Blair? Do you want speed or figures? Get 'em both at your friendly neighborhood bank. I thought that was cool.

Did someone mention Campbell's Soup? Here's Sarah with the Campbell Kids. As spokesperson for the Campbell's "Stamp Out Hunger" campaign, she helped to collect 61 million cans of donated food. :rock:

http://www.networkwomen.com/0703/0703_sarah_hughes/images/sarah-soupkids_500x262.jpg

MM

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Mathman said:

MM;)

Mathman, you're trying to cover your tracks, we all know you were poking fun at Irina, that she was only worth AVON quality. Remember that once you squeeze toothpaste out of a tube, you can't squeeze it back in.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Sad news, but I have to admit I'm not surprised. And now that ABC is no longer covering many (any?) events, it gets even worse.

Since this is your field, I'd love your feedback on this question.

It seems there is very extensive figure skating TV coverage in Europe via Eurosport and Raisport and others. What do you see as different in that market? Is figure skating that much more popular there, or is there something different about the business side, how the $$ add up, etc. to make it worth while for more coverage with similar popularity to the US?

Inquiring minds (well, at least this one LOL) want to know!!

DG

First, in the US we have the the holy trinity of sports marketing: Basketball, Football & Baseball. These are the sports were the big dollars come from... Male dominated sports. Female sport stars tend to get endorsements based on the strengh of their "win" record, personality & looks. The highest paid & most marketable female athletes are the Williams Sisters, Mia Hamm, and Michelle Kwan. McDonalds, Gatorade & Nike, and Disney & Chevy. These are the stars that will last past their competitive careers because they are athletes but also brands.

Tara Lipinski & Sarah Hughes didn't last on the competitive scene long enough to remain on the list, just like Lisa Leslie of the WNBA. Anna Kornakovia is hot, but as a model, not as the hottest female athlete as she no longer plays...

Europe on the other hand, doesn't put such a high emphasis on sports in general, with the exception of soccer. Figure skaters, particularily men, are popular based on the European tradition of the arts & when you put that in a sports context ~ it is taken more seriously. But the money just isn't there as Europeans appreciate but don't worship sports heros the way Americans do. You can look at the income made from the GP series to tell the difference. Or the Russian stands at Worlds... pitiful.

As to sports coverage, we base coverage on advertising dollars and figure skating doesn't generate the dollars it did prior to SLC. The worse legacy of the '02 games isn't so much the pairs controversary, but that people got disgusted and turned the channel...

Its all about the money. The sport is secondary.

Kwanford Wife

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
millie said:
Mathman, you're trying to cover your tracks, we all know you were poking fun at Irina, that she was only worth AVON quality. Remember that once you squeeze toothpaste out of a tube, you can't squeeze it back in.

Millie & Mathman,
Irina would make a killing off of Avon... they pay almost as well as Revlon. But Irina is more of a Gatoraid girl... I just think that if money really were the huge issue for her, she'd be over here in a heartbeat... As for toothpaste, Jamie Sale that sewn up... :)

Kwanford Wife

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
millie said:

Millie you obviously don't know MM very well. He does not have a mean spirited bone in his body. You can go back and reread any post of his and you will not find anything that is even close to making fun of ANYONE. Even if a skater is not his favorite he will try to find something nice to say about the skater. This applies to posters too. He may disagree with a post but always does it in the kindest way. I think you owe him an apology.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Someone is picking on our beloved Mathman! That's almost as bad as picking on my Twinnie! Hey, you wanna piece o' me?! We are most definitely NOT amused! :p

millie

Medalist
I appologize to Mathman for taking his post out of context, but you have to agree that Golden Skate is turning into a Michelle Kwan forum. Please give the other skaters credit where credit is due. Signing Out, hear from you in the fall.

Hey, it's cool , Millie. See, here's the thing. You all have to be to be extra nice to Kwan fans right now. We are sad and pitiful because our girl didn't win anything at Worlds.:cry: So now we want a big hug.

((((((((((Kwan fans, and especially me))))))))))

MM:)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Exactly Cianni! :rock: :rock: :rock:

The forum is no more pro Kwan than it has ever been. Maybe you thought that just because she didn't medal at Worlds her fans would give up on her? Surely those of you who are fans of skaters who have yet to win a national or world title can understand THAT. Just because the scoring system has changed does not negate Kwan's record. You would also have to wipe out Henje, Fleming, Hamill, Witt, Bioul(sp), Hughes, Lipinski, Browning, Boitano, Button, Orser, Stoiko.......She is still the reigning and nine time U.S. champion, five time World champion, and a two time Olympic medalist. This record elevates her from athlete to legend.

curious

Final Flight
indiaskye1 said:
I don't think Michelle Kwan should have won Bronze. In fact, she shouldn't even have been in fourth place. The scores she got were way too high in both the SP and LP ... her programs still look the same way they did several years ago ... back then she was good ... but while all the other skaters have evolved with the sport she seems to be stuck in a rut.

Carolina Kostner is much better than Michelle. They both made mistakes ... however, Carolina's skating skills and overall performance were much better than Michelle's ...

Vanessa

ditto with everything. michell's worst effort in her entire career. she had two years to prepare and didn't,no wonder she did so poorly. she should have been fifth or sixth:biggrin:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
curious said:
ditto with everything. michell's worst effort in her entire career. she had two years to prepare and didn't,no wonder she did so poorly. she should have been fifth or sixth:biggrin:

See, these are the comments that set me off... "michelle's worst effort in her entire career" For most skaters, even their best isn't on the same level as her worse.

I can understand not being a MK fan, as I am not that far gone but what I cannot understand are people who just throw these random comments out but never can put it into a context and make us think vs. make us roll our eyes. And why does this make some people happy when skaters have bad competitions? What is that to be happy about? What is a true expectation to have of MK? Total perfection 100% of the time? But not even that makes people happy... because then she's standing in someone's way and hogging the spotlight... Its all so silly!

Either contribute to the conversation or let the grown ups chat.

Rant over...

Kwanford Wife