Michelle Should Have Won Bronze!! | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Michelle Should Have Won Bronze!!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
What I would like to know is what has Kwan done to make people who don't even know her dislike her so much? I could see if she had a bad attitude, was a poor competitor, an ungracious winner, or sore loser, but she has never been any of that. Why are fans of other skaters so delighted because she had a poor performance? The only thing that makes sense is because a poor performance by Kwan is the only way their favorites can win? That Michelle having the "worst performance of her entire career" was the only way her competitors could win says more about the poor quality of the competition than it does about Kwan.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Piel said:
What I would like to know is what has Kwan done to make people who don't even know her dislike her so much? I could see if she had a bad attitude, was a poor competitor, an ungracious winner, or sore loser, but she has never been any of that. Why are fans of other skaters so delighted because she had a poor performance? The only thing that makes sense is because a poor performance by Kwan is the only way their favorites can win? That Michelle having the "worst performance of her entire career" was the only way her competitors could win says more about the poor quality of the competition than it does about Kwan.

You know what, Piel ~ this is an excellent point... This is probably why they are so venomous when she does have a bad competition... Look at how long they have to wait! ;)

Wow, three times in 10 years.... Sucks to be them! :biggrin:

(let me stop before my nasty side emeges & I get banned... and yes, I have been banned from other sites before ~ here's a piece of advice don't ever critize the moderator's favorite skater... that doesn't go over well... :laugh: )

Kwanford Wife

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
What I would like to know is what has Kwan done to make people who don't even know her dislike her so much?

Piel..........it's called JEALOUSY! She gets slammed when she's up and she gets slammed when she's down. She's in a no win situation. 42

Kwanford Wife said:
(let me stop before my nasty side emeges & I get banned... and yes, I have been banned from other sites before ~ here's a piece of advice don't ever critize the moderator's favorite skater... that doesn't go over well... :laugh: )
Hey, Kwanford, I want you to stick around for a long time, so I’ll help you out…Let’s see…

Tonichelle: Don’t say anything bad about Scott Hamilton or Kurt Browning.

Kwanfan1212: Don’t say anything bad about Jamie and David (but it’s OK to say that Elena and Anton skate beautifully, too.)

Dustin: Don’t say anything bad about Sasha or Kimmie.

Joesitz: Don’t say anything bad about Abt, Klimkin, or Bebe Liang.

Mathman: Don’t say anything bad about Watanabe and Kido, Vakhtang Murvanidze, or Alyssa Czyzny

MM:)

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Piel said:
What I would like to know is what has Kwan done to make people who don't even know her dislike her so much? I could see if she had a bad attitude, was a poor competitor, an ungracious winner, or sore loser, but she has never been any of that.

Piel, I know what you mean. I've often wondered that myself. Show, good point about jealousy, and you're absolutely right--she does get slammed when she's up or down.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Piel said:
What I would like to know is what has Kwan done to make people who don't even know her dislike her so much? .

Yeah!! I dunno, but I guess those people are like others who dislike skaters like Irina, Shizuka, Sasha, Plushenko, Joubert, Weir, or any other skater for no aparent reason. People like that is better to just ignore.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Hey, Kwanford, I want you to stick around for a long time, so I’ll help you out…Let’s see…

Kwanfan1212: Don’t say anything bad about Jamie and David (but it’s OK to say that Elena and Anton skate beautifully, too.)

Mathman: Don’t say anything bad about Watanabe and Kido, Vakhtang Murvanidze, or Alyssa Czyzny

Since Millie is gone for the summer, I will do this in her honor... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mathman ~ you rock! And I promise to play nice with others!

KW

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

Hey, you left a couple of us out!

Ladskater: Don't say anything bad about Canada or Canadians. Period.

RealtorGal: Don't say anything bad about Chait & Sakhnovsky or about RGirl, who is RealtorGal's twin sister.

Vegas Sandy

Spectator
I thought Kostner's short was awkward and sloppy

rain said:
I must disagree with you. I thought Kwan hanging onto fourth was quite generous given her general level of skating throughout the three phases of the competition. In addition, I thought Kostner should actually have won the short program, giving her a wider margin over Kwan. Kostner and Kwan both had okay skates in the long, but I would give it to Kostner over Kwan on speed, and quality of jumps landed. Kwan looked cautious and did not have her usual zing in the long. And by the way, I'm a big Kwan fan who hopes she steps it up next year, starting with ditching Bolero.

Kostner's short has promise, but I don't think it was up to senior competition in presentation. I can't beleieve so many people think she should have won the short. If this is what the majority call good skating then I won't be watching in the future. Michelle was given lower marks than she should have been. If scored appropriately, Michelle should have had the bronze. -- I'm happy that Irina was able to come back after her illness and yes, she had a good lp, but she was still overrated as a whole and Sasha should have had more deductions. I just don't think everyone, in all of the genres, were scored fairly.

lavender

Record Breaker
I said Irina will be fighting for gold in Torino 2 years ago and no one believe. Well I'm saying now........Michelle will be back doing the same next season. I think that scares certain fans more than anything. They know Michelle is a fighter and her worst skating still got her 3rd in 2 phases of the competition over a 3/3/3.

JMO

Carolina's presentation is very immature. Every arm movement, every smile, every 'balletic' position is following the choreographer's advice. There is no real Carolina in her skating yet. She is a young lady in search of a style. Not unusual for a gal her age. No chance for her to get 'passion' at that age.

However, there are at least 11 months to Torino. I think if she can get some gigs for show skating to really feel the audience as well as continuing her over-the-top technical pracice, she is a contender!!!

Joe

On the question of whose program was more technically demanding and more CoP friendly, in terms of base value Michelle's LP was rated at 56.7, while Carolina's was only 54.3, even with a 3flip/3toe/2loop.

Michelle's program was also more jam-packed technically than Irina's, according to the CoP (?!) Irina's LP had a base value of 56.1.

Now, if you saw both programs and think this is a ridiculous claim, well, all I can say is, that's how the CoP rated them. Irina won by landing her jumps -- and, of course, by racking up the component scores for presentation.

Mathman

soogar

Record Breaker
Didn't Irina lose credit for one of her 3 loops? That could be why MK's program was rated more difficult than Irina's.

Mathman said:
Now, if you saw both programs and think this is a ridiculous claim, well, all I can say is, that's how the CoP rated them. Irina won by landing her jumps -- and, of course, by racking up the component scores for presentation. Mathman

and for all those Bielman positions. I think it got her an extra 15 bonus points. That will still give her a win even if her nearest competitor comes up to her base score.

Joe

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel said:

Let me see if I can tackle this question. I don't think the Kwan fans can understand that when you have someone on top for so long, certain people want to see someone else win or break through. It can be frustrating when no one does it and Kwan constantly wins. Eventually it translates to "hate" and wishing ill on her. Also, people want their favorites to win. You can say it's almost an "about time" thing with the non-Kwan fans. I must come out and admit that it was generally refreshing not to see MK on the podium at worlds (strange as well!) and to see some other faces break through. For me, it's not against Kwan personally. It's wanting to see someone else win or have a good performance.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I wonder why you don't hear cyclimg fans go "not Lance Armstrong AGAIN"?

You would think folks would be excited to see Kwan break the records. Especially since it is very unlikely that anyone will beak HER records.

Vash01

Medalist
soogar said:
Didn't Irina lose credit for one of her 3 loops? That could be why MK's program was rated more difficult than Irina's.

No, she did not LOSE credit for her 3rd triple loop. It simply did not count.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel said:
You would think folks would be excited to see Kwan break the records. Especially since it is very unlikely that anyone will beak HER records.

I certainly think a lot of people are excited. However, I think it's stretching it a bit to expect EVERYONE to cheer Kwan on. There are competitors who don't want her to win, and their fans as well (understandably). Also, there are those (sort of like me) who want to see a different face on the top of the podium every now and then. I don't know if people like that post here but I can tell you they're around. And they won't exactly be patting Kwan on the back every time. I know I won't.

Red Dog said:
Also, there are those (sort of like me) who want to see a different face on the top of the podium every now and then. I don't know if people like that post here but I can tell you they're around. And they won't exactly be patting Kwan on the back every time. I know I won't.
Well, get use to the same face you saw all last year: Slutskaya on top of podium for 3 GPs including final, the Russian Nationals, European Championships, 2006 Olympics, and 2006 Worlds.

If Kwan's face bothers you, although one only sees it in Nats and Worlds and those dumb cheesfests, be prepared to see Irina's face at every major competition in 2005/06 as it was seen in 2004/05.

Joe

tdnuva

On the Ice
Hm.

Am I entitled to have an opinion about a skater or not? And if a fan of that skater does not like my opinion does that automatically mean I hate that skater??? Sorry, but I can't follow that logic. Concerning Kwan there are several points for me.

One is - she had gorgeous routines. And she had flawless performances. But not all of her routines are great and not all performances flawless. And I think even a fan of hers should be able to see that.

Second. When I point out a mistake of hers there is no need to rant about the fact that others have flaws, too. When we would discuss Slutskaia I would point out the flaws, too. But in a discussion about Kwan it should be possible to talk about the good AND bad points without being bashed.

Third. One thing I really don't like about Kwan are some examples in her fanbase. I know that she can't choose all of her fanbase, but some who only see her as kween and best skater ever tend to be so over the top it makes me just run and hide.

Fourth. My bigges problem with Kwan these days are not her jumps (they never were that high that I would have gushed over them) nor her other elements (sometimes still very good). But I don't get what she does concerning choreography and interpretation. Concerning interpretation I always have the feeling that she tries to do something to the music for some seconds and then she falls out of the "role" to prepare the next big element. I don't like that. (my taste here - and I feel free enough to express my taste, ok?) And concerning choreography, her work (or lack thereof) with the choreography of Bolero this season was just ridiculous. And btw - I said that from the first performance cause there was not enough of Dean choreography to call it that way from the beginning. But why she then took away even more of it from performance to performance is beyond me.

And now again - that does NOT mean I hate her. This is just my observation of her routines this year (ok - and last years were already a step in that direction). I have to add, I would say about many other skaters, too, that they lack interpretation and choreography - only I don't see half a dozen of threads about them. So, the ongoing presence of fans who gush and gush about her "kween" without seeing the problems provokes that I have to think about those flaws over and over again. I would also like to discuss other skaters, too - only they don't have such a fanbase who are that obsessed. :laugh: