Monday Practises | Golden Skate

Monday Practises

Rosaleen

Medalist
After getting credentials sorted out and getting organized at Copps, I made it upstairs in time for the men’s practises. I spent all my time today at Copps & didn’t make it out to Chedoke.

First group up were the Japanese & South Africans
JPN Takeshi Honda - not here, not registered yet
JPN Daisuke Takahashi – looking pretty darn good. I wasn’t paying enough attention to take notes but the jumps were looking great. He seemed to be a lot smoother than I remember him.
JPN Yamato Tamura – looking pretty good except for the 3axel, I saw a number of scary attempts and don’t remember seeing any good ones. He’s sporting a blond mohawk style stripe in his hair – he really stands out with it, you’re not going to mix him up with any other skater J. I heard that he’s retiring from eligible competition and this will be his last one.
RSA Gareth Echardt – can’t really remember much
RSA Konrad Giering – again, don’t remember much
RSA Justin Pietersen – not here

Next group up were the Mexicans & Americans
I didn’t see much of this group, I was off sorting out ticket issues. Ryan Bradley was the only American to show

Next group were the Canadians, NZL & KOR
No Canadians here yet, Dong-Whun Lee was looking quite good – I saw numerous good triples but don’t think I saw any 3axels or quads

Last group of men were the Chinese & Australians
CHN Song Gao - Copps - r/t free / 4t3t tiny brush of free foot coming through / popped axel / didn't skate big section in middle / 3a not perfect but good / 3f / whe he does his jumps right they're just beautiful greast air pos & landing pos /
AUS Stuart Beckingham - Copps - He's bald & quite tall r/t 3t with bad wrap / 3l fell /
AUS Daniel Harries - green tshirt / didn't see r/t / saw some 3z attempts pretty good ones but none landed
AUS Bradley Santer - white tshirt dark hair / short / 3z2t / 3f fell out / 2a /

Next up were the Ladies. I didn’t see the first 2 groups (sorting out tickets again and getting more things organized in the media room)

First up were the Mexicans & Americans – no Americans showed, reports that Michelle Cantu from Mexico was looking pretty good
Next were 2 of the Australians and the Chinese
Next were the Japanese & South Africans

I finally made it upstairs for the ‘Misc’ group consisting of the following
TPE Diane Chen - Copps pm - short r/t / Don't Cry for Me Argentina / nice 2a / popped sal / clockwise jumper / fell on triple ? / was having real trouble with 3z - didn't see a fully rotated one
AUS Miriam Manzano - Copps pm - short r/t / 3z hand down 2t / 2f / nice pgm to soft pretty music / she flows well with good speed
TPE Amy Hou – wearing red velvet dress – saw a bunch of under-rotated 3loops and a couple of landed 3toes I think but she was having trouble with all of the triples.
RSA Jenna Anne Buys – can’t really remember her
UZB Anastasia Gimazetdinova – not here

Last Group of ladies were the Canadians & Koreans – finally a group that I have some fairly decent notes on <G>
KOR Sun-Bin Lee - Copps pm - short r/t - just arrived on the ice before her music started / no jumps /
KOR Eun-Byul Cho - Copps pm - long r/t - no jumps / all of a sudden the music came to life - t was soft & pretty up til now /
KOR Bit-Na Park - Copps pm - short r/t - announced that she wasn't her but she is / saw a turnout on 3s / looks like she might only have a 2z /
CAN Joannie Rochette - Copps pm - looking pretty good before music played - she was last / working on 3t3t saw her land one clean but really tight and hop out of another / free r/t / 3l / 3f pitched forwad but clean / 3z turns 3t / 3f or z / almost had an accident - Cynthia in a camel spin & joannie almost skated into her - it was a fairly close call TV camera got it - maybe it'll make the news??? Or, on second thought maybe they’re taping for a phluff piece / a little later Cynthia tripped on her toepick & splatted forward - she got up laughing kind of embarrassed / It was cute
CAN Jennifer Robinson - Copps pm - short r/t / good 3z at start / fell out of 2footed 3f / bad wrap on 2a - I've noticed this before where she wraps on the axel but no other jumps/ saw some nice 3z before her r/t
CAN Cynthia Phaneuf - Copps pm - free r/t / gorgeous red velvet with scoop neck & back / 2a / 3l / 3z / 3t / 3f / 3z 2t almost hands down on both but held off / 3s / 3t fell / The tv camera arrived as the group took the ice - he spent most of his time following Cynthia standing right next to Annie (coach) /

Last practises of the day were the pairs. I was downstairs getting packed up while the Americans were on the ice – the only ones were Scott & Dulebohn.

Next were the Chinese & UZB
UZB Aganina / Knyazev - Copps pm - no show, no music yet
CHN Zhang / Zhang - Copps pm r/t free pgm / huge lateral 3tw / sbs 2a she single into 2t / thr 3l / thr 3s great distance but not the height of the other Chinese teams / greats lasso lift really fast into it & up - no preparation /
CHN Pang / Tong - Copps pm - free - partial r/t gorgeous 3tw lateral / thr 3l / sbs 2a she fell / huge thr 3s /
CHN Ding / Ren - Copps pm - free r/t / thr4t 2ft but not badly & fully rot / sbs 3t turns 2t / 3tw lateral / Ding & Ren & the Zhangs did sbs 3s at almost exactly the same time and then almost ran into each other / there's just so much going on it's hard to watch it all much less watch & write at the same time<G> / lift that didn't get up

Last group were the Canadians – no one at practise

rain

Record Breaker
Thanks so much for the update. I can't wait till the actual competition starts, but till then it's really great to hear about how everyone's looking. I'm hoping the Canadian ladies can really do well here. They have a real shot at some medals if they skate as they did at Canadians.

brenlynn

On the Ice
thanks for the practice report! i'll be there wednesday in time to catch the ladies practice before the CD. it's always nice to hear how things are going.

rivered

Spectator
Thank you so much! I wanted to know Dong-whun's practice report. he has immaturity 4t.
he is 16years. and only korean male figure skater.
i believe his potential. ;)

PS. Sun-bin Lee is his sister.

Last edited:

Rosaleen

Medalist
Re: Re: Monday Practises

rivered said:
Thank you so much! I wanted to know Dong-whun's practice report. he has immaturity 4t.
he is 16years. and only korean male figure skater.
i believe his potential. ;)

PS. Sun-bin Lee is his sister.

That's interesting, I didnt know they were brother & sister.

I've been quite impressed with him and had forgotten how young he is. I believe I saw him at Junior Worlds last year, didn't I? I don't know if I've noticed his 4t in practice, but I'll watch for it tomorrow and try and make better notes on him for you. The rest of his jumps are looking pretty good and there definitely is potential.

rivered

Spectator
Re: Re: Re: Monday Practises

That's interesting, I didnt know they were brother & sister.

I've been quite impressed with him and had forgotten how young he is. I believe I saw him at Junior Worlds last year, didn't I? I don't know if I've noticed his 4t in practice, but I'll watch for it tomorrow and try and make better notes on him for you. The rest of his jumps are looking pretty good and there definitely is potential. [/B][/QUOTE]

thank you so much!
the junior worlds report you wrote was impressed on my memory.
as you know, Dong-whun is mature for his age. ;)
i suppose 4t is difficult because of injury in the foot.
hope your great report. take care!

http://irue.cafe24.com/zeroboard/data/dwlee_gallery/040111_office9.jpg
http://irue.cafe24.com/zeroboard/data/dwlee_gallery/20040107_office3.jpg
Dong-whun with his sister Eun-bin, Sun-bin :)

Last edited: