N.Korean Skaters Forfeit Tickets to Olympic | Page 2 | Golden Skate

N.Korean Skaters Forfeit Tickets to Olympic

GF2445

Record Breaker
Oh, I am so sad. I hope they get a wildcard or something. I was really looking forward to seeing them at the Olympics.

The IOC reall really really want North Korea at the games. We really really want them at the games.
We just need to sit and wait.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Hang on. A wildcard to the Olympics?! I've never heard tell of that before. Has it ever happened before? In any sport?

Of course it happened. All small contries and islands who didnt fullfill some reqiurements (qualification norms) get wild card (if they had athletes), in order to see almost every possible country represents in Oly. Bulgaria and Colombia for example got it in swimming in Rio (even they are not 'small countries') in order to promote that exact sport in those countries. Home nation may get wildcard too (Great Britain 2012 in basketball for example) - i think Korea as host also have it in FS

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
It's very sad when politics interfere with the dreams of athletes. They qualified and they deserve to be there. Unfortunately, I don't think their government will allow it.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Of course it happened. All small contries and islands who didnt fullfill some reqiurements (qualification norms) get wild card (if they had athletes), in order to see almost every possible country represents in Oly. Home nation may get wildcard too (Great Britain 2012 in basketball for example) - Korea as host also have it in FS

Wow. Never came across it before.

But, that's hardly surprising because until recently, it was only ever figure skating, ski jumping and women's football that I paid attention to at the Olympics. And none of them have wildcards. For figure skating and women's football you have to qualify to compete; whereas for ski jumping it is not needed because there are enough slots available for all the countries to be represented anyway once you cut the main countries down to 4 slots.

So, thank you for enlightening me.

CaroLiza_fan

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Wow. Never came across it before.

But, that's hardly surprising because until recently, it was only ever figure skating, ski jumping and women's football that I paid attention to at the Olympics. And none of them have wildcards. For figure skating and women's football you have to qualify to compete; whereas for ski jumping there are enough slots available for all the countries to be represented anyway once you cut the main countries down to 4 slots.

So, thank you for enlightening me.

CaroLiza_fan

I think there is well known case with Great Britain ski jumper participed in Calgari. Also i remember musician Vanessa Mae in skiing. Jamaica bobsleigh team. I think all of them got some sort of wild cards (or like you said - they let them to participate cause there is not exact quota in numbers of participations there). I know its very common in Track and Field and Swimming (cause everybody can run 100m :biggrin:). Im not so sure is it practice in winter sports tho, maybe in some massive sports like skiing cause they can find 'non qualified small country possible represent' there to give wild card. They will give Vanuatu's skier wild card for example if there is one :biggrin:

Kittosuni

Medalist
Wow as soon as the news that a NK soldier defected to SK and now talk of the town there, my asian family circle says NK will most likely retaliate and will be somehow directed to the Olympics. :shocked:

Expect more missile testing too from NK leading to the OG.

Andrea82

Medalist
Im not so sure is it practice in winter sports tho, maybe in some massive sports like skiing cause they can find 'non qualified small country possible represent' there to give wild card. They will give Vanuatu's skier wild card for example if there is one :biggrin:

There are no wild cards in skiing, but their qualification standards are so generous that almost all semi-serious athletes can get them. Basically they set up a "A Standard" and a "B Standard" (which is less strict and only valid for slaloms because they can't allow weak skaters risking their lives in a downhill). First all countries with an athlete achieving the B Standard are allocated 1 quota. Then they will fill the rest until the maximum quotas allowed with "big" countries.

Some sports (like bobsleigh) have spots reserved to each continent (assuming they fulfill a basic standard).

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
There are no wild cards in skiing, but their qualification standards are so generous that almost all semi-serious athletes can get them. Basically they set up a "A Standard" and a "B Standard" (which is less strict and only valid for slaloms because they can't allow for weak skaters risking their lives in a downhill). First all countries with an athlete achieving the B Standard are allocated 1 quota. Then they will fill the rest until the maximum quotas allowed with "big" countries.

Some sports (like bobsleigh) have spots reserved to each continent (assuming they fulfill a basic standard).

Ok, thanks. That B standard also existed in track and field and swimming in the past, but not any more. Now, they just give wild card for a athlete from a country that doesnt have athletes in other sports. But basically, motives to give B standards and wild cards and their outcomes are similiar - to get more countries participate. If North Korea have qualified athletes in other winter sports (and this case is specific, cause they basically have this qualification quota), they probably wouldnt consider giving them wild card in Pairs FS

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
What a bad news. I was so excited for them to earn their Olympic spot from the Nebelhorn. The pair team was dynamic and fast as well as knowing how to entertain the audience at 2017 Worlds. Their presence was a pleasant surprise to pair fans, but what a shame.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's really sad news to hear.

I do believe sport has the power to bring people together, and perhaps part of me hoped there would have been a rather Lennon-esque moment where the world supporting the North Korean pair could have been a beautiful Olympic moment, contrary to ongoing tensions between North Korea and the world.

Alex D

Record Breaker
That's really sad news to hear.

I do believe sport has the power to bring people together, and perhaps part of me hoped there would have been a rather Lennon-esque moment where the world supporting the North Korean pair could have been a beautiful Olympic moment, contrary to ongoing tensions between North Korea and the world.

The development of the crisis is definitely sad, as it looked so positive once.

Months ago, there were even considerations of hosting some events together. The snowboard events were a likely candidate, but it was all destroyed by politicians. Why can´t people let NK alone and just let them do their thing. It may be wrong for western standards, but all the sanctions and threats coming from the west don´t help anyone. As much I criticized Obama for his Syria Agenda, as good he did with Northkorea and Iran.

It´s quite sad that North and South, just like West and East Germany before, are abused by allied forces, with strategic interests.

How great would it have been, if North Koreans would march into the venue at the opening ceremony.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist

I'm not Korean, so I'm not an authority on this, but I lived in South Korea for a year. Whenever I talked to colleagues and friends about North Korea they always said, "We're all Koreans." It was the same country until just after World War II. They share a language, history, and cultural heritage. Families were split apart along the 38th parallel. I think Ryom/Kim would have been incredibly supported by the athletes and fans in Pyeongchang.

lappo

Final Flight

Months ago, there were even considerations of hosting some events together. The snowboard events were a likely candidate, but it was all destroyed by politicians. Why can´t people let NK alone and just let them do their thing. It may be wrong for western standards, but all the sanctions and threats coming from the west don´t help anyone. As much I criticized Obama for his Syria Agenda, as good he did with Northkorea and Iran.

It´s quite sad that North and South, just like West and East Germany before, are abused by allied forces, with strategic interests.

How great would it have been, if North Koreans would march into the venue at the opening ceremony.

If I remember correctly, in the short lived distension period there were also suggestion to form a mixed Korean FS team to allow them to take part in the team event (SK has ladies, men, dance they only lack pairs that would have been given to NK skaters); at the time, I thought it would have been such a great idea, not only for the athletes but also as a sign of true Olympic spirit.

nimi

Medalist
The IOC has said it would cover the N. Korean athletes' expenses: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/10/30/2017103001489.html?related_all

I just wonder if the NK government saw that as an insult instead of a friendly gesture?

I haven't been following the Korea situation closely enough to have a particularly informed view about it, but I guess that in addition to Trump's tweets, bad PR like the recent media coverage re: the NK defector suffering from a bad case of parasites is not helping, either...?

I hope that in the end we'll see Ryom/Kim skating, although I'm not holding my breath.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I'm not Korean, so I'm not an authority on this, but I lived in South Korea for a year. Whenever I talked to colleagues and friends about North Korea they always said, "We're all Koreans." It was the same country until just after World War II. They share a language, history, and cultural heritage. Families were split apart along the 38th parallel. I think Ryom/Kim would have been incredibly supported by the athletes and fans in Pyeongchang.

I have relatives who lived in Korea and they all said the same thing.
I really feel bad for Ryom/Kim and mayyyybeee the NK government might change their mind? one can hope

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I'm very sad to hear this, their skating is really good and they are lovely to watch.On the other hand (unfortunately) I would be surprised if North Korea would actually allow their citizens to compete at the Olympics held in South Korea (the worst enemy of Kim's dynasty...).
And as their spot was given to Japan. Who can compete for Japan. Boudreau-Audet doesn't have a citizenships and is not likely to get it. What about other teams? Do they even have a minimum scores?

lilsailor

On the Ice
but didnt that north korean gymnast [ sorry i dont remember their names] take a photo with the south korean gymnast at rio?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
And as their spot was given to Japan. Who can compete for Japan. Boudreau-Audet doesn't have a citizenships and is not likely to get it. What about other teams? Do they even have a minimum scores?

Maybe Suzaki/Kihara.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

I am not convinced whether Obama did well with North Korea. Sure maybe the relationship of the world or USA with North Korea was less tense in that period but at the same time his lenient, soft politics towards North Korea allowed them to develop their nuclear & missiles program to the point where North Korea is dangerous for the World and can turn words into action. They're capable of nuking out not only South Korea or Japan but also USA - or at least it looks like that. Recently they fired a missile that flied over Japan, with different trajectory it would be able to reach California.

It is also rumoured that they have developed miniature nuclear warheads that could be fitted to their missiles.

Your "Why can´t people let NK alone and just let them do their thing. It may be wrong for western standards, but all the sanctions and threats coming from the west don´t help anyone." take on that does not hold water as it's North Korea who make a threat with their rhetorics, to provoke first for example - to quote one article.

North Korea has frequently employed bellicose rhetoric towards its perceived enemies.

In 1994 South Koreans stocked up on essentials in panic after a threat by a North Korean negotiator to turn Seoul into "a sea of fire" - one which has been repeated several times since.
After US President George W Bush labelled it part of the "axis of evil" in 2002, Pyongyang said it would "mercilessly wipe out the aggressors".
In June 2012 the army warned that artillery was aimed at seven South Korean media groups and threatened a "merciless sacred war".