N.Korean Skaters Forfeit Tickets to Olympic | Page 3 | Golden Skate

N.Korean Skaters Forfeit Tickets to Olympic

Eclair

Medalist
The development of the crisis is definitely sad, as it looked so positive once.

Months ago, there were even considerations of hosting some events together. The snowboard events were a likely candidate, but it was all destroyed by politicians. Why can´t people let NK alone and just let them do their thing. It may be wrong for western standards, but all the sanctions and threats coming from the west don´t help anyone. As much I criticized Obama for his Syria Agenda, as good he did with Northkorea and Iran.

It´s quite sad that North and South, just like West and East Germany before, are abused by allied forces, with strategic interests.

How great would it have been, if North Koreans would march into the venue at the opening ceremony.

yeah ... leave alone and 'let them do their thing' ... so you would have preferred if politicians just had left alone east Germany and 'let them do their thing'? easy for you to say ...

Andrea82

Medalist
And as their spot was given to Japan. Who can compete for Japan. Boudreau-Audet doesn't have a citizenships and is not likely to get it. What about other teams? Do they even have a minimum scores?

3 other pairs are entered at Japanese nationals: Miu Suzaki/Ryuichi Kihara, Narumi Takahashi/Ryo Shibata and Riku Miura/Shoya Ichihashi. S/K and T/S have the minimums.

volk

Final Flight
That could be a bad omen. North Korea would not attack south if their athletes were there. Now I'm not so sure.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And as their spot was given to Japan. Who can compete for Japan. Boudreau-Audet doesn't have a citizenships and is not likely to get it. What about other teams? Do they even have a minimum scores?

Suzaki/Kihara most likely.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I am not convinced whether Obama did well with North Korea. Sure maybe the relationship of the world or USA with North Korea was less tense in that period but at the same time his lenient, soft politics towards North Korea allowed them to develop their nuclear & missiles program to the point where North Korea is dangerous for the World and can turn words into action. They're capable of nuking out not only South Korea or Japan but also USA - or at least it looks like that. Recently they fired a missile that flied over Japan, with different trajectory it would be able to reach California.

It is also rumoured that they have developed miniature nuclear warheads that could be fitted to their missiles.

Your "Why can´t people let NK alone and just let them do their thing. It may be wrong for western standards, but all the sanctions and threats coming from the west don´t help anyone." take on that does not hold water as it's North Korea who make a threat with their rhetorics, to provoke first for example - to quote one article.

I still think that what NK does now, is the result of the Libyan war and invasion at Iraq. No matter what we think about the two ex dictators there, I strongly believe that this was the start of a terrible foreign politics by the US government.

I am convinced that if these things wouldn´t have happened, then NK would not be so determined to gain nuclear weapons. All that Kim wants, is to stay in power. Nuclear weapons secure him that. I also think that without Obama, Merkel and other politicians who tried to isolate Russia, NK would not have gained the knowledge for their nuclear / missile program.

One thing lead to another and sure we can argue who had thrown the first rock here, but in the end the result is equally bad. The worst is, I doubt that SK or NK truly hate each other. As far I see it, the South and North just want to have a peaceful relationship.

yeah ... leave alone and 'let them do their thing' ... so you would have preferred if politicians just had left alone east Germany and 'let them do their thing'? easy for you to say ...

I have grown up in the East, so I am not sure exactly where your coming from. But, for us in Germany, the situation got worse whenever other countries got involved in our politics.

For instance, did the Allies and Russia place nukes in our country, what if a war would have broken out? Germany would have been the first country to be blown away. I fear similar now for Korea and I say Korea, as I feel that North and South are both victims in that dirty game here.

The best solution would be if all sides just take a step back and let the South and North come together, for diplomatic talks. Sad thing is, the talking is done by everyone, but the Koreans. I met Koreans from North and South, I did not experience people that wanted to go to war. They were different (especially the hair cuts and clothing), but they were just normal people. As I said above, I doubt they hate each other and they just want to be left alone, both sides.

If there are however, daily Twitter attacks, sanctions, war games at each others door, then nothing good will come out of this.

Korea is such a strategic point, if it wouldn´t be, then the West and East wouldn´t give a damn about this conflict and the conflict would most likely be over already.

Mattieu

Medalist
That could be a bad omen. North Korea would not attack south if their athletes were there. Now I'm not so sure.

I seriously doubt NK will attack anyone, but NK will certainly make threats and probably deter some nations from even going to the games.
The NK skaters absence is an indicator of NK's intentions and whilst not war, their intentions are to gain from the situation on their doorsteps.

Alex D

Record Breaker

Nobody is going to attack anyone, I am very sure of that. Korea would be a second 1914 and this time with nuclear weapons, nobody would want this. Nobody can win such a war, we would all be dead, our planet destroyed, nah not going to happen. I lost a lot of hope in humanity after I saw what happened at Syria or Yemen, but nope, this can´t be how it ends.

Don´t let politicians plant the seed of fear into your hearts, it´s all they want. If you are afraid, they can manipulate you, don´t fall for it.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
but didnt that north korean gymnast [ sorry i dont remember their names] take a photo with the south korean gymnast at rio?

Hong Un-Jong (who is ridiculously talented on vault!) of North Korea and Lee Eun-ju of South Korea did take a photo together in Rio.

However, that's Brazil. Letting their athletes go to South Korea to compete is probably a whole different issue, unfortunately for Ryom/Kim.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Thirty years since North Korea boycotted the 1988 Seoul Games, and sad to say not much as changed politically.

millie

Medalist
Russia probable ban, NK not wanting to participate, it is not looking good.

If Russia is not banned it will probably in collusion with the judges for the Russians to win...lol....like they were in the US Election with Trump...Don't say it's not possible, they will win at all costs. They can make anything happen...just saying....

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
The development of the crisis is definitely sad, as it looked so positive once.

Months ago, there were even considerations of hosting some events together. The snowboard events were a likely candidate, but it was all destroyed by politicians. Why can´t people let NK alone and just let them do their thing. It may be wrong for western standards, but all the sanctions and threats coming from the west don´t help anyone. As much I criticized Obama for his Syria Agenda, as good he did with Northkorea and Iran.

It´s quite sad that North and South, just like West and East Germany before, are abused by allied forces, with strategic interests.

How great would it have been, if North Koreans would march into the venue at the opening ceremony.

:confused: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/CoIDPRK/Pages/ReportoftheCommissionofInquiryDPRK.aspx

Err... That's why...

But back on topic. I am sad the NK athletes will not be able to participate. The Olympics are about athletes setting everything else aside and coming together. More important than any country we are all human beings. Sharing, supporting, and experiencing things together is so much more powerful than threatening, hating, and hurting.

WestVirginia130

Rinkside
I'm so sad for the wonderful athletes who have gotten caught up in all the usual political saber rattling. I just wish every country could keep their noses out of their athletes' business and let them compete in a non-political celebration of human achievement like the Olympics were intended to be :(

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My heart breaks for them. :cry:

:agree: You could see at Nebelhorn how excited and thrilled they were to be doing this. They were the best ambassadors for their country that could have been sent. So many smiles, such joy in their skating, such happiness to be able to show others in the world their passion and their skills.

I was really looking forward to their presence.

Alex D

Record Breaker
:confused: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/CoIDPRK/Pages/ReportoftheCommissionofInquiryDPRK.aspx

Err... That's why...

But back on topic. I am sad the NK athletes will not be able to participate. The Olympics are about athletes setting everything else aside and coming together. More important than any country we are all human beings. Sharing, supporting, and experiencing things together is so much more powerful than threatening, hating, and hurting.

I wish people like you would actually look at Yemen, at the African Nations, at Syria and many more places, where war crimes are committed, but the Western World remains silent, as it´s done by the Allies.

NK surely has a questionable regime, but so do many other countries in the world, countries that your government supports. Sorry, but it is how it is. :dev2:

Enough political talk now, it´s not leading anywhere.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Nobody is going to attack anyone, I am very sure of that. Korea would be a second 1914 and this time with nuclear weapons, nobody would want this. Nobody can win such a war, we would all be dead, our planet destroyed, nah not going to happen. I lost a lot of hope in humanity after I saw what happened at Syria or Yemen, but nope, this can´t be how it ends.

Don´t let politicians plant the seed of fear into your hearts, it´s all they want. If you are afraid, they can manipulate you, don´t fall for it.

ITA Alex.